King Philip II/I and Wives (Queens Maria, Mary, Elisabeth and Anna)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Philip III/II King of Spain, of Portugal and the Algarves etc. (Valladolid, 21 May 1527 - El Escorial, Madrid, 13 September 1598); married 1stly in Salamanca on 15 October 1543 Princess Maria of Portugal (Coimbra, 15 October 1527 - Valladolid, 12 August 1545); married 2ndly in Winchester on 25 July 1554 Queen Mary I of England (Greenwich, 8 February 1515/1516 - St.James Palace, Westminster 17 November 1558); married 3rdly in Paris 22 June 1559 Princess Elisabeth of France (Fontainebleau, April 13 1545 - Madrid, 3 October 1568); married 4thly in Prague/Segovia 4 May 1570 Archduchess Anna Marie of Austria (Cigales, 2 November 1549 - Badajoz, 26 October 1580)

Reign: 1556 - 1598

Predecessor in Spain: King Carlos I of Spain, Karl V of Austria, Holy Roman Emperor, Duke of Burgondy etc.

Predecessor in Portugal: King Henrique of Portugal and the Algarves

Succeeded by: King Philip III/II of Spain, Portugal and the Algarves

Children Philip II/I and Maria: Prince Carlos of Spain

Children Philip II/I and Mary I: None

Children Philip II/I and Elisabeth: Archduchess Isabella of Austria, governor of the Spanish Netherlands, Duchess Catalina Micaela of Savoy

Children Philip II/I and Anna Marie: Prince Fernando, Prince Carlos Lorenzo, Prince Diego, King Philip III and Princess Maria of Spain

Parents King Philip II/I: King Carlos I of Spain, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, Archduke of Austria etc. and Princess Isabel of Portugal

Parents Queen Maria: King João III of Portugal and Archduchess & Princess Catherine of Austria and Castille

Parents Queen Mary I: King Henry VIII of England and Princess Catherine of Aragon

Parents Queen Elisabeth: King Henry II of France and Princess Catherina de Medici

Parents Queen Anna Marie: Emperor Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor and Princess Maria of Spain

Siblings King Philip II/I: Empress Maria of the Holy Roman Empire and Crown Princess Juana of Portugal

Siblings Queen Maria: Prince João of Portugal and 7 others that died in childhood

Siblings Queen Mary I: King Edward VI and Queen Elizabeth of England

Siblings Queen Elisabeth: King Francois I of France, Duchess Claude of Lorraine, Prince Louis, King Charles IX and King Henry III of France, Queen Marguerite of Navarre, Prince Hercule Francois, Princess Jeanne and Princess Victoria of France

Siblings Queen Anna Marie: Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, Emperor Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke Ernst of Austria, Queen Elisabeth of France, Archduchess Maria of Austria, Emperor Matthias, Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke Maximilian III of Austria, regent of Austria; Archduke Albert of Austria, Governor of the Low Countries; Archduke Wenzel, Archduke Friedrich, Archduchess Maria, Archduke Karl, Archduchess Margaret and Archduchess Eleonore of Austria

Last edited:
Philip II (Spanish: Felipe II de España; Portuguese: Filipe I) (May 21, 1527 – September 13, 1598) was King of Spain from 1556 until 1598, King of Naples from 1554 until 1598, king consort of England (as husband of Mary I) from 1554 to 1558, Lord of the Seventeen Provinces (holding various titles for the individual territories, such as Duke or Count) from 1556 until 1581, King of Portugal and the Algarves (as Philip I) from 1580 until 1598 and King of Chile from 1554 until 1556. The Philippines islands and nation is named for Philip II.

Philip was born in Valladolid on the 21st of May 1527 and was the only legitimate son of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and Isabella of Portugal. He was educated by Roman Catholic clergymen, whose influence shaped his policies as king.

The States-General of the Dutch provinces, united in the 1579 Union of Utrecht, passed an Oath of Abjuration of their Spanish-based king, who was also Sovereign over the Netherlands, in 1581. The Netherlands at this time had been a personal union under King Philip since the Pragmatic Sanction of 1549; he was lord of each separate Dutch Province (e.g., Duke of Guelre and Count of Holland). The rebel leader, William I, Prince of Orange (William the Silent) was outlawed by Philip, and assassinated in 1584 by a Catholic fanatic after Philip had offered a reward of 25,000 crowns to anyone who killed William the Silent, calling him a 'pest on the whole of Christianity and the enemy of the human race'. Nevertheless, the Dutch forces continued to fight on, and increasingly used their substantial naval resources to plunder Spanish ships and blockade the Spanish-controlled southern provinces.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

The Infanta Maria Manuela (1527–1545, pron. IPA: [mɐ'ɾiɐ mɐnu'ɛlɐ]; English: Mary Emmanuella) was a Portuguese infanta daughter of King John III of Portugal and his wife Catherine of Habsburg. She was Princess Consort of Asturias and between 1527 and 1535 Princess of Portugal.
Maria was born in Coimbra on October 15, 1527 and was one of the few children of John III to survive childhood. She married her double-cousin Prince Philip of Asturias (future Philip II of Spain and I of Portugal) and was the mother of Prince Carlos, a deformed child who was heir of the Spanish crown.

Mary I (18 February 1516 – 17 November 1558), was Queen of England and Queen of Ireland from 19 July 1553 until her death. The fourth crowned monarch of the Tudor dynasty, she is remembered for restoring England to Roman Catholicism after succeeding her short-lived brother, Edward VI, to the English throne. In the process, she had almost three hundred religious dissenters burned on the stake, resulting in being called Bloody Mary. Her reestablishment of Roman Catholicism was reversed by her successor and half-sister, Elizabeth I.

Mary was the only child of Henry VIII and his first wife Catherine of Aragon to survive infancy. A stillborn sister and three short-lived brothers, including Henry, Duke of Cornwall, had preceded her. Through her mother, she was a granddaughter of Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella of Castile. She was born at the Palace of Placentia in Greenwich, London, on Monday 18 February 1516. She was baptised on the following Thursday with Thomas Cardinal Wolsey standing as her godfather. Mary was a sickly child who had poor eyesight, sinus conditions and bad headaches. It has been speculated that her poor health was caused by congenital syphilis contracted ultimately from her father via her mother.

Despite her health problems Mary was a precocious child. A great part of the credit for her early education was likely came from her mother, who consulted the Spanish scholar Juan Luis Vives upon the subject and was Mary's first instructor in Latin. Mary also studied Greek, science, and music. In July 1521, when scarcely five and a half years old, she entertained some visitors with a performance on the virginal (a smaller harpsichord). Henry VIII doted on his daughter and would boast in company, "This girl never cries". When Mary was nine years old, Henry gave her her own court at Ludlow Castle and many of the Royal Prerogatives normally only given to a (male) Prince of Wales, even calling her the Princess of Wales. In 1526, Mary was sent to Wales to preside over the Council of Wales and the Marches. Despite this obvious affection, Henry was deeply disappointed that his marriage had produced no sons.
Throughout her childhood Henry negotiated potential marriages for Mary. When she was only two years old she was promised to the Dauphin Francis, son of Francis I, King of France, but after three years, the contract was repudiated. In 1522, she was instead contracted to marry her first cousin, the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, then 22, by the Treaty of Windsor. Within a few years, however, the engagement was broken off. It was then suggested that Mary wed the Dauphin's father Francis I, who was eager for an alliance with England. A marriage reaty was signed which provided that Mary should marry either Francis I or his second son Henry, Duke of Orléans. However, Cardinal Wolsey, Henry VIII's chief adviser, managed to secure an alliance without the marriage.

Élisabeth de Valois (April 13, 1545 – October 3, 1568) was a daughter of Henry II of France and Catherine de' Medici.
Elisabeth married Philip II of Spain ("Philip the Catholic"), son of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and Isabella of Portugal in 1559 in Guadalajara, Spain. The marriage was a consequence of the Peace of Cateau Cambrésis (1559).
Elisabeth of Valois had originally been betrothed to Philip's son, Don Carlos, but political complications unexpectedly necessitated her marriage to Philip instead. Despite the significant age difference between them, Philip was very attached to Elisabeth, staying close by her side even when she was ill with smallpox. Elisabeth's first pregnancy in 1564 ended with a miscarriage of twin girls. She later gave birth to Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia of Spain on 12 August 1566, and then to Isabella's younger sister Catherine Michelle of Spain October 10, 1567. Elisabeth had another miscarriage on October 3, 1568, and died the same day, along with her newborn infant son.
The Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia became the major vehicle of her father's unsuccessful claims to the thrones of the Kingdom of England and France. Philip married her to her Habsburg cousin, Archduke Albert (1559-1621), who was made regent of the Spanish Netherlands in 1598. Their joint reign coincided with a golden age for the Habsburg Netherlands.

Anna of Austria (Cigales, Valladolid, November 1, 1549–Badajoz, October 26, 1580), was Queen consort of Spain and Portugal.
She was the first daughter of Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor and Maria of Spain. She was born in Spain, but lived in Vienna from the age of four.
She was betrothed to Don Carlos, son of Philip II and heir to the Spanish throne, but he died in 1568. Philip II lost his third wife in the same year and a marriage was arranged between Anna and Philip II, despite the fact that Philip was also Anna's uncle.

Can anyone tell me what how Carlos, Principe heredero de España who was the son of Felipe II and D. Maria, Infanta de Portugal died. I saw that it was a mysterious, or unexplained death. Does anyone know anything about this? He was born in 1545 and died in 1568.

Can anyone tell me what how Carlos, Principe heredero de España who was the son of Felipe II and D. Maria, Infanta de Portugal died. I saw that it was a mysterious, or unexplained death. Does anyone know anything about this? He was born in 1545 and died in 1568.

Some rumours say he was murdered by his father...:whistling: . Considering the image we traditionaly were tought here in The Netherlands (= Philip was the closest thing to the devil that ever walked on earth) that would not be surprising to me at least ;). It is more likely he died from natural causes though, I have not read anywhere which.

13 September 1598-Anniversary of the death of Philip II of Spain

Portrait_of_King_Philip_II_of_Spain%2C_in_Gold-Embroidered_Costume_with_Order_of_the_Golden_Fleece.jpg

Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia of Spain,Regent of the Low Countries died in Brussels on the 1st of December ,1633.Isabella was the daughter of Philip II and Elisabéth de Valois.With her husband,Archduke Albert of Austria,Isabella was styled 'Infanta of Spain and Portugal,Archduchess of Austria,Duchess of Brabant,Limburg, Lothier and Luxemburg,Margravine of Namur,Countess Palatine of Burgundy,Countess of Artois,Flanders, Charolais and Hainaut'.

Isabella_Clara_Eugenia_as_a_nun.jpg

Royal Anniversary - April 2nd,1545 - Birth of Élisabeth de Valois,third wife of Philip II and the eldest daughter of Henri II of France and Catherine de Médicis.

416px-Isabel_de_Valois2..jpg

:previous:
Elisabeth bears quite an uncanny resemblance to her brothers Francis II and Charles IX (in youth).
Interestingly though, she looks nothing like her surviving sisters, Claude and Marguerite.

:previous:
Elisabeth bears quite an uncanny resemblance to her brothers Francis II and Charles IX (in youth).
Interestingly though, she looks nothing like her surviving sisters, Claude and Marguerite.

Yes I'd agree you there is a strong resemblance between Élisabeth and her brothers ,Margot got more and more like her mother as she got older.

Don Carlos of Spain​

Philip II and Mary Stuart's martyrdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLeCOWnvmHI

The Spanish Empire in 1585 and King Philip II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jThdMyGifqU

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one of his wives Philip II loved the most?

The Spain of Felipe II: an Empire without an emperor
Felipe II (1527-1598) assumed the throne of Spain in 1556. The program reviews the most important of his reign: his marriages, the death of Prince Don Carlos, Lepanto and Don Juan de Austria, the death of Escobedo by Antonio Pérez etc. . Scenes from TVE archive programs such as 'Cervantes' by Alfonso Ungría, 'Santa Teresa' by Josefina Molina and 'Commemoration of Felipe II' by Salvador Pons are used.

https://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos...pana-felipe-ii-imperio-sin-emperador/3275678/

This was the strange epidemic that killed a Queen of Spain and left Felipe II grave

The choice of Anna of Austria was not only appropriate because she was at hand and because, as the daughter of a sister of Felipe II, the young woman knew the Spanish language and customs, it was also appropriate because of her mother's fame as a fertile woman, who gave the Viennese branch of the Habsburgs up to sixteen children.

https://www.abc.es/historia/abci-ex...y-dejo-grave-felipe-202012170144_noticia.html

King Philip II of Spain devalued Spanish currency on November 29, 1596. Did this action actually improve the Spanish economy?

Why did King Philip II of Spain become King of Portugal in 1580 when he was only third in the line of succession at the time? I believe that both Ranuccio Farnese (son of Infanta Maria of Guimarães) and Infanta Catarina of Portugal, Duchess of Braganza, were ahead of him based on male-preference cognatic primogeniture.

Last edited:
Elisabeth of Valois married King Philip II of Spain in 1559.

At one stage Elisabeth de France was being put forward as a potential bride for Edward VI of England.
The talks began in 1550 but hit a stumbling block regarding religion and Edward was dead by July 1553.

Back
Top Bottom