King Fernando I of Aragon and Queen Leonor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Fernando I,King of Aragon, Valencia, Mallorca, Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily, Duke of Athens and Neopatria, Count of Barcelona, Roussillon and Cerdanya (Medina del Campo, 27 November 1380 – Igualada, 2 April 1416); married in ? on ?, 1393 Princess Leonor Urraca Sanchez of Alburquerque (Castile) (Medina del Campo, ?, 1374 – Valladolid, 16 July 1435)

Reign : 1412 - 1416

Dynasty:Trastámara

Predecessor: King Marin I of Aragon (King Martin II of Sicily)

Successor: King Alfonso V of Aragon

Children: King Alfonso V or Aragon & Napels; Queen Maria of Castile; King Juan II of Aragon; Prince Enrique of Aragon, Duke of Villena, Count of Alburquerque and Empuries; Queen Leonor of Portugal; Prince Pedro of Aragon, Count of Alburquerque and Duke of Noto and Prince Sancho of Aragon

Parents Fernando: King Juan I of Castile and Princess Leonor of Aragon

Parents Leonor: Count Sancho of Alburquerque (ill. son of King Alfonso XI of Castile and Princess Beatriz of Portugal

Brother Fernando: King Enrique III of Castile

Half Brother Fernando: Prince Miguel of Castile & Portugal

Brother Leonor:Fernando Sánchez, Count of Alburquerque

Last edited:
Ferdinand I (Medina del Campo, Castile, 27 November 1380 – Igualada, Catalonia, 2 April 1416), called of Antequera and also the Just or the Honest, was king of Aragon, Valencia, Majorca, Sardinia and (nominal) Corsica and king of Sicily, duke (nominal) of Athens and Neopatria, and count of Barcelona, Roussillon and Cerdanya (1412-1416). Regent of Castile (1406-1416). See Crown of Aragon.
He was the younger son of king John I of Castile and Eleanor of Aragon.
In 1406, upon the death of his elder brother, king Henry III of Castile, Ferdinand declined the Castilian crown and instead, with Henry's widow Catherine of Lancaster, became coregent during the minority of his nephew John II of Castile. In this capacity he distinguished himself by his prudent administration of domestic affairs.
In a war with the muslim kingdom of Granada, he conquered the town of Antequera (1410), and hence his surname.
After Ferdinand's maternal uncle, the king Martin I of Aragon (Martin II of Sicily), died without surviving issue, Ferdinand was chosen king of Aragon in 1412 to succeed him in the Compromise of Caspe. The other candidate, count James II of Urgell (see counts of Urgell), revolted and Ferdinand dissolved the county of Urgell in 1413.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Eleanor of Alburquerque (1374 - 1435) became Queen consort of Aragon by her marriage to Ferdinand I of Aragon. In Spanish she is known as Leonor Urraca de Castilla, Condesa de Alburquerque.
Her father was Sancho of Alburquerque, who was an illegitimate son of King Alfonso XI of Castile and his mistress Eleanor of Guzman, and a brother of King Henry II of Castile. Her mother was Infanta Beatriz, Countess of Alburquerque, who was daughter of Peter I of Portugal and Ines de Castro.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Royal Anniversary- April 2nd,1416 -Death of King of Aragon, Valencia, Majorca,
Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica.Count of Barcelona, Roussillon and Cerdagne

Ferran_d%27Antequera_al_retaule_Sancho_de_Rojas_%28detall%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom