King Enrique III 'The Sufferer' of Castile and Queen Catherine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Enrique III ‘The Sufferer’, King of Castile and Leon (Burgos, 4 October 1379– Toledo, 25 December 1406); married in Burgos or Madrid on ? March 1388 Princess Catherine of Lancaster (Hertford, 31 March 1373 – Valladolid, 2 June 1418)

Reign: 1390 - 1406

Dynasty: Trastámara

Predecessor: King Juan I of Castile & Leon

Successor: King Juan II of Castile & Portugal

Children: Princess Catalina of Castile, King Juan II of Castile & Leon and Queen Maria of Aragon

Parents Enrique: King Juan I of Castile & Leon and Princess Leonor of Aragon

Parents Catherine: PrinceJohn 'of Gaunt' of England, 1st Duke of Lancaster and Princess Constanza of Castile

Brother Enrique: King Fernando I of Aragon

Half Brother Enrique: Prince Miguel of Castile

Brother Catherine: John of Lancaster

Half Siblings Catherine: Quee Filipa of Portugal; Prince John of Lancaster, Elizabeth, Countess Pembroke, later Duchess of Exeter, later Baroness Fanhope and Milbroke; Prince Edward and Prince John of Lancaster, King Henry IV of England and Princess Isabel of Lancaster

Last edited:
Henry III (October 4, 1379–1406), sometimes known as Henry the Sufferer or Henry the Infirm (Spanish: Enrique el Doliente) was the son of John I and Eleanor of Aragon, and succeeded him as King of Castile and León in 1390.

Henry was born in Burgos, the capital of Castile. Before becoming king, he was known by the title Prince of Asturias, designating him as the heir apparent. After succeeding to the throne at 11, Henry took power at 14. He was able to pacify the nobility and restore royal power. During his reign, the Castilian fleet won several victories against the English; Henry sent a naval fleet in 1400 that destroyed Tétouan in North Africa, a pirate base. In 1402, Henry began the colonization of the Canary Islands, sending French explorer Jean de Béthencourt. He also sent envoys to Timur.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Katherine of Lancaster (also known as Catherine Plantagenet and as Queen Catalina of Castile and Leon) (1372/1373 – 2 June 1418) was the daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, and his second wife, Constance of Castile.
She married Enrique III of Castile in 1393 at Burgos. As her mother was daughter of Pedro of Castile, and had been a claimant to the Castilian throne herself, the marriage helped to restore a semblance of legitimacy to the Trastamara line.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Back
Top Bottom