Emperor Charles V/ King Carlos I and Queen Isabel

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Carlos I (or V), Holy Roman Emperor, King of Aragon, Castile, Leon, Sicily and Napels, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Duke of Brabant, Luxembourg, Milan, Guelders, Lord of the Netherlands, Margrave of Namur, Count of Holland, Zeeland, Hainault, Zutphen, Artois, Flanders and Charlolais (Ghent, 24 February 1500 -Madrid, 21 September 1558); married by proxy in Almeirim on 1 November 1525 and in person in Seville on 10 March 1526, Princess Isabel of Portugal (Lisbon, 23 October 1503 - Toledo, 1 May 1539)

Reign Castile: 1516 - 1556

Reign Aragon: 1516 - 1556

Reign Holy Roman Empire: 1519 - 1556

Reign Burgundy: 1506 - 1556

Dynasty: Habsburg

Predecessor Castile: Queen Juana 'The Mad' of Castille

Predecessor Aragon: King Fernando VI of Aragon & Sicily

Predecessor Holy Roman Empire: Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor

Predecessor Burgundy: Duke Philip 'The Handsome of Burgundy

Succeeded in Spain by: King Felipe II of Spain

Succeeded in the Holy Roman Empire by: Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor

Children: King Felipe II of Spain; Maria, Holy Roman Empress and Princess Juana of Spain

Parents Carlos: Duke Philip of Burgundy, Archduke of Austria and Queen Juana 'the Mad' of Castile

Parents Isabel: King Manuel I of Portugal and Princess Maria of Castile and Aragon

Siblings Carlos: Queen Leonor of Portugal; Queen Elizabeth of Denmark; Ferdidnand I, Holy Roman Emperor; Queen Maria of Hungary and Bohemia and Queen Catarina of Portugal

Siblings Isabel: King João III of Portugal; Duchess Beatrice of Savoy, Prince Luis, Duke of Beja; Prince Fernando Duke of Trancoso; Prince Alfonso, Princess Maria, King Henrique I, Prince Duarte, Duke of Guimaraes; and Prince Antonio of Portugal

Half Siblings Isabel: Prince Miguel da Paz; Prince Carlos and Princess Maria of Portugal

Last edited:
Charles V (24 February 1500 – 21 September 1558) was ruler of the Holy Roman Empire from 1519 until his abdication in 1556 and also ruler of the Spanish realms from 1516 until 1556.
As the heir of four of Europe's leading dynasties – the Trastamara of the Kingdom of Castile and the Crown of Aragon, the Burgundian Valois of the Duchy of Burgundy and the Habsburgs of Austria – he ruled over extensive domains in Central, Western and Southern Europe, as well as Castilian colonies in the Americas and Philippines.
As the first monarch to reign in his own right over both the Kingdom of Castile and the Crown of Aragon (from 1555) he is often considered as the first King of Spain, with the name of Charles I. Upon his retirement, he divided his realms between his son Philip and his brother Ferdinand.
He was the son of Philip the Handsome and Joanna the Mad of Castile. His paternal grandparents were Emperor Maximilian I and Mary of Burgundy, whose daughter Margaret raised him. His maternal grandparents were Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile, whose marriage had first united their territories into what is now modern Spain, and whose daughter Catherine of Aragon was Queen of England and first wife of Henry VIII. His cousin was Mary I of England who married his son Philip.

Combining the heritage of the German Habsburgs, the House of Burgundy, and the Spanish heritage of his mother, Charles transcended ethnic and national boundaries. His motto was Plus Ultra, Further Beyond.
Charles was born in the Flemish city of Ghent in 1500. The culture and courtly life of the Burgundian Low Countries were an important influence in his early life. He spoke five different languages: Flemish, German, Spanish, French, and Italian. He spoke French as mother language and Flemish from his childhood years, later adding an acceptable Spanish (which was required by the Castilian Cortes as a condition for becoming king of Castile) and some German. Indeed, he claimed to speak "Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse."
From his Burgundian ancestors, he inherited an ambiguous relationship with the Kings of France. Charles shared with France his mother tongue (together with Flemish) and many cultural forms. In his youth, he made frequent visits to Paris, then the largest city of Western Europe.

In his words: "Paris is not a city, but a universe" (Lutetia non urbs, sed orbis). But Charles also inherited the tradition of political and dynastical enmity between the Royal and the Burgundian lines of the Valois Dynasty. This conflict was amplified by his accession to both the Holy Roman Empire and the kingdom of Spain.
Though Spain was the core of his kingdom, he was never totally assimilated and especially in his earlier years felt like and was viewed as a foreign prince. He could not speak Spanish very well, as it was not his primary language. Nonetheless, he spent most of his life in Spain, including his final years in a Spanish monastery.
In his youth, Charles was tutored by Adrian of Utrecht, later Pope Adrian VI. His three most prominent subsequent advisors were Lord Chièvres, Jean Sauvage and Mercurino Gattinara.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

The Infanta Isabel, commonly referred to in English as Isabella of Portugal (October 23, 1503 – May 1, 1539) was the daughter of Manuel I of Portugal and Maria of Aragon. By her marriage to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, Isabella was also Holy Roman Empress and Queen consort of Aragon and Castile.

Isabel was the second child and eldest daughter of Manuel I of Portugal and his second wife, Infanta Maria of Castile and Aragon. She was named after her maternal grandmother, Isabella I of Castile and her aunt Isabella, Princess of Asturias, who had been her father's first wife.
Through her father, she was a granddaughter of Infante Ferdinand, Duke of Viseu (the second son of king Edward of Portugal and brother of Afonso V of Portugal) and Infanta Beatrice, the daughter of Infante João, Lord of Reguengos (brother of king Edward). Through her mother she was a granddaughter of Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon.
Isabel was second-in-line to the throne until the birth of her brother Louis in 1505. However, as the oldest daughter of Manuel I of Portugal, she was a rather attractive party. She married her first cousin, Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, the son of Joanna of Castile and Philip the Handsome, Duke of Burgundy, who as Holy Roman Emperor, King of Aragon and Castile, Archduke of the Habsburg dominions, titular Duke of Burgundy, and ruler of the Netherlands and the Spanish empire in the Americas and the Mediterranean and Italy was one of the most powerful men of his time.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Wow the coffins in that picture are actually breathtaking i went to go see them in february and i was completely stunned

What a beautiful portrait! Anyone know the painter? The wonderful collar on the magnificent hound epitomize the era.

:previous:
The portrait is by Alsonso Sanchez Coello. It's currently in the Museum of Fine Arts in Bilbao.
I had the pleasure of seeing it first-hand during my stay in Spain many years ago.

What a beautiful portrait! Anyone know the painter? The wonderful collar on the magnificent hound epitomize the era.

Its by Spanish Court Painter,Alonso Sanchez Coello and dates from 1557.

Anniversary of the death of Charles I/Charles V,King of Spain,Holy Roman Emperor-September 21st,1558.

Karl_V_by_Ticiano.jpg

Royal Anniversary - 1st of May 1539 ,Death of Isabel of Portugal : Empress and Queen Consort of Charles I/V Holy Roman Emperor and King .

495px-Isabella_of_Portugal_by_Titian.jpg

Yes Don Juan was an illegitimate son of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the half brother of Philip II.

King Carlos I of Spain was also Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.

Follow the Money...

Karl V. became, like all Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire, a ruler by being elected. The Electorate were some German Princes and Bishops. And they elected always the guy, who promised them the most. But unlike modern voters, which give their votes in exchange for some vague promises... - they preferred cash!

Of course the politicians back then, here the future Emperor, were as cash stripped as today! So: They borrowed the money. The Habsburgs took the money of the Fuggers, of Jakob Fugger, the richest man and banker back then. The Great Charles V. took in the enormous (back then) sum of 850.000 guilders from German bankers, 500.000 from the Fugger alone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakob_Fugger#Election_of_Charles_V_in_1519

And like the IMF, the International Monetary Fund, and the Worldbank of today, the bankers demanded in exchange some economical reforms, especially deregulations and privatizations... From the portfolio of the state into private hands - into their hands! The Fugger got mining rights and the mines of course in Tyrol and Spain. (ibid.)

Elections - They work! :whistling:

Carlos V. The ways of the Emperor - The birth of an Emperor

At the age of 17, Carlos V, the Traveler King, set foot on Castile for the first time, entering the land that he ended up inheriting. In a tense meeting near Valladolid, Carlos, whom the people see as a foreigner, a usurper of the Crown, meets his brother Fernando, his rival in the succession.

https://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos...s-del-emperador-nacimiento-emperador/4965463/

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I don't recall seen that crown the emperor is using on the painting before. The arc goes from the front center to the back but there are no bridges connecting it ear to ear to enclose it and create the familiar dome.

I assume its as Holy Roman Emperor as he was crowned in Bologna on the 22nd of February 1530 in a Papal Coronation.

Brussels Abdications is the name for the successive acts of abdication of Charles I of Spain and V of the Holy Roman Empire, which took place in Brussels at the end of 1555 and the beginning of 1556.
At the end of October 1555, Emperor Charles V convened the States General of the Netherlands in the royal palace of Brussels in Coudenberg in the presence of the governor, Mary of Hungary, and her son Philip II.
What Charles V intended was to abdicate. Abdicate as lord of the Netherlands, as Duke of Burgundy, but also as King of Spain, as Archduke of Austria and as Emperor. A very important moment not only in the life of Carlos but in the history of Western Europe.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Tapisserie_abdication_charles_V.jpg

Back
Top Bottom