King Alfonso I 'The Warrior' of Aragon & Navarre and Queen Urraca of Castile & Léon

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
King Alfonso I 'The Warrior' of Aragon & Navarre and Queen Urraca of Castile & Léon

Alfonso I 'The Warrior', King of Aragon and Navarre (Pamplona, 1073/1074 - Huesca, 8 September 1134); married in Monzón on ? October 1109 Queen Urraca of Castile, Léon and Galicia (24 June 1081 - Saldanya, Valencia, 8 March 1126) Urraca married 1stly in Toledo on ? 1087 Count Raymond of Burgundy, Count of Galicia and Coimbra (Besançon 1059 - Grajal de Campos, 27 May 1107)

Reign Alfonso: 1134 - 1134

Reign Urraca: 1109 - 1126

Dynasty Alfonso: Jiménez

Dynasty Urraca: Jiménez

Predecessor Alfonso: King Pedro I of Aragon and Navarre

Successor Aragon: King Ramiro II of Aragon and Navarre

Successor Navarre: King Garcia IV Ramirez 'The Restaurer' of Navarre

Predecessor Urraca: King Alfonso VI of Castile and Léon

Successor Urraca: King Alfonso VII of Castile and Léon

Children Urraca: Princess Sancha of Castille and King Alfonso VII of Castile & Léon

Children Alfonso & Urraca: None

Parents Alfonso: King Sancho I of Aragon and Navarre and Felicia de Roucy, Countess of Montdidier

Parents Urraca: King Alfonso VI of Castile and Duchess Constance of Burgundy

Parents Raymond: Count William 'The Great' of Burgundy and Stephanie of Longwy-Metz (Lorraine)

Siblings Alfonso: Prince Fernando and King Ramiro II of Aragon and Navarre

Half Brother Alfonso: King Pedro I of Aragon and Navarre

Sister Urraca: Princess Elvira of Castille

Half-Siblings Urraca: Prince Sancho of Castille, Queen Elvira of Sicily; Countess Sancha of Liébana; Countess Teresa of Burgundy, Countess of Portugal and Countess Elvira of Toulouse

Siblings Raymond: Count Octavianus of Burgundy; Renaud II, Count Palatine of Burgundy, Count of Mâcon, Vienne and Oltingen; Stefan I, Count Palentine of Burgundy, Count of Mâcon, Vienne and Oltingen; Count Guy of Burgundy, Count of Vienne, later Pope Callixtus II; Duchess Maud of Burgundy; Countess Gisela of Savoy, later Countess of Montferrat; Countess Adelaide of Burgundy; Queen Bertha of Castile, Count Eudes of Burgundy; Count Hugh III of Burgundy, Archbishop of Besançon; Countess Clementia of Flanders, later Duchess of Brabant; Princess Stephanie de Royans and Countess Ermentrude Thierry I of Montbéliard

Last edited:
From wikipedia and free of copyrights:

Alfonso I (1073/1074 – 8 September 1134), called el Batallador, the the Battler or the Warrior, was the king of Aragón and Navarre from 1104 until his death in 1134. In 1109, he took up the title of his father-in-law: Imperator totius Hispaniae. He was the second son of King Sancho Ramírez and successor of his brother Peter I. Alfonso the Battler won his greatest successes in the middle Ebro, where he expelled the Moors from Zaragoza in 1118 and took Egea, Tudela, Calatayud, Borja, Tarazona, Daroca, and Monreal del Campo. He died in September 1134 after an unsuccessful battle with the Moors at the siege of Fraga.

His earliest years were passed in the monastery of Siresa, learning to read and write and to practise the military arts until the tuition of Lope Garcés the Pilgrim, who was repaid for his services by his former charge with the county of Pedrola when Alphonso came to the throne.
During his brother's reign, he participated in the taking of Huesca (the Battle of Alcoraz, 1096), which became the largest city in the kingdom and the new capital. He also joined El Cid's expeditions in Valencia. His father gave him the lordships of Biel, Luna, Ardenes, y Bailo.
A series of fortunate deaths put Alfonso directly in line for the throne. His brother's children, Isabel and Peter (who married María Rodríguez, daughter of El Cid), died in 1103 and 1104 respectively.

A passionate fighting-man (he fought twenty-nine battles against Christian or Moor), he was married (when well over 30 years and a habitual bachelor) in 1109 to the ambitious and Urraca of Castile, widow of Raymond of Burgundy, a passionate woman unsuited for a subordinate role. The marriage had been arranged by her father Alfonso VI of Castile in 1106 to unite the two chief Christian states against the Almoravides, and to supply them with a capable military leader. But Urraca was tenacious of her right as proprietary queen and had not learnt chastity in the polygamous household of her father. Husband and wife quarrelled with the brutality of the age and came to open war. Alfonso had the support of one section of the nobles who found their account in the confusion. Being a much better soldier than any of his opponents he gained victories at Sepulveda and Fuente de la Culebra, but his only trustworthy supporters were his Aragonese, who were not numerous enough to keep Castile and León subjugated. The marriage of Alfonso and Urraca was declared null by the pope, as they were second cousins, in 1110, but he ignored the papal nuncio and clung to his liaison with Urraca until 1114. During his marriage, he had called himself "King and Emperor of Castile, Toledo, Aragón, Pamplona, Sobrarbe, and Ribagorza" in recognition of his rights as Urraca's husband; of his inheritance of the lands of his father, including the kingdom of his great-uncle Gonzalo; and his prerogative to conquer Andalusia from the Moor. He inserted the title of imperator on the basis that he had three kingdoms under his rule.
Alfonso's late marriage and his failure to remarry and produce the essential legitimate heir that should have been a dynastic linchpin of his aggressive territorial policies have been adduced as a lack of interest in women. Ibn a-Athir (1166-1234) describes Alfonso as a tireless soldier who would sleep in his armor without benefit of cover, who responded when asked why he did not take his pleasure from one of the captives of Muslim chiefs, responded that the man devoted to war needs the companionship of men not women.

The king quarrelled with the church, and particularly the Cistercians, almost as violently as with his wife. As he beat her, so he drove Archbishop Bernard into exile and expelled the monks of Sahagún. He was finally compelled to give way in Castile and Leon to his stepson Alfonso Raimúndez, son of Urraca and her first husband. The intervention of Pope Calixtus II brought about an arrangement between the old man and his young namesake.
In 1122 in Belchite, he founded a confraternity of knights to fight against the Almoravids. It was the start of the military orders in Aragón. Years later, he organised a branch of the Militia Christi of the Holy Land at Monreal del Campo.

Last edited:
And the other half of the wikipedia article:

Alfonso spent his first four years in near-constant war with the Moor. In 1105, he conquered Ejea and Tauste and refortified Castellar and Juslibol. In 1106, he defeated Ahmad II al-Musta'in of Zaragoza at Valtierra. In 1107, he took Tamarite de Litera and Esteban de la Litera. Then followed a period dominated by his relations with Castile and León through his wife, Urraca. He resumed his Reconquista in 1117 by conquering Fitero, Corella, Cintruénigo, Murchante, Monteagudo, and Cascante from Islam.
In 1118, the Council of Toulouse declared it a crusade to assist in the reconquest of Zaragoza. Many Frenchmen consequently joined Alfonso at Ayerbe. They took Almudévar, Gurrea de Gállego, and Zuera, besieging Zaragoza itself by the end of May. On 18 December, it fell and the forces of Alfonso occupied the Azuda, the government tower. The great palace of the city was given to the monks of Bernard. Promptly, the city was made Alfonso's capital. Two years later, in 1120, he defeated a Moslem army intent on reconquering his new capital at Cutanda. He promulgated the fuero of tortum per tortum, facilitating taking the law into one's own hands, and forced the Moslem population of the city (greater than 20,000) to move to the suburbs.
In 1119, he retook Cervera, Tudejen, Castellón, Tarazona, Ágreda, Magallón, Borja, Alagón, Novillas, Mallén, Rueda, Épila and repopulated the region of Soria. He began the siege of Calatayud, but left to defeat the army at Cutanda trying to retake Zaragoza. When Calatayud fell, he took Bubierca, Alhama de Aragón, Ariza, and Daroca (1120). In 1123, he besieged and took Lérida, which was in the hands of the count of Barcelona. From the winter of 1124 to September 1125, he was on a risky expedition to Peña Cadiella deep in Andalusia.
In the great raid of 1125, he carried away a large part of the subject Christians from Granada, and in the south-west of France, he had claims as usurper-king of Navarre. From 1125 to 1126, he was on campaign against Granada, where he was trying to install a Christian prince, and Córdoba, where got only as far as Motril. In 1127, he reconquered Longares, but simultaneously lost all his Castilian possessions to Alfonso VII. He confirmed a treaty with Castile the next year (1128) at Támara which fixed the boundaries of the two realms.
He conquered Molina de Aragón and repopulated Monzón in 1129, before besieging Valencia, which had fallen again upon the Cid's death.
He went north of the Pyrenees in October 1130 to protect the Val d'Aran. Early in 1131, he besieged Bayonne. It is said he ruled "from Belorado to Pallars and from Bayonne to Monreal."

At the siege of Bayonne in October 1131, three years before his death, he published a will leaving his kingdom to three autonomous religious orders based in Palestine and politically largely independent on the pope, the Knights Templars, the Hospitallers, and the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre, whose influences might have been expected to cancel one another out. The will has greatly puzzled historians, who have read it as a bizarre gesture of extreme piety uncharacteristic of Alphonso's character, one that effectively undid his life's work. Elena Lourie (1975) suggested instead that it was Alphonso's attempt to neutralize the papacy's interest in a disputed succession— Aragon had been a fief of the Papacy since 1068— and to fend off Urraca's son from her first marriage, Alphonso VII of Castile, for the Papacy would be bound to press the terms of such a pious testament. Generous bequests to important churches and abbeys in Castile had the effect of making the noble churchmen there beneficiaries who would be encouraged by the will to act as a brake on Alphonso VII's ambitions to break it— and yet among the magnates witnessing the will in 1131 there is not a single cleric. In the event it was a will that his nobles refused to carry out— instead bringing his brother Ramiro from the monastery to assume royal powers— an eventuality that Lourie suggests was Alphonso's hidden intent.
His final campaigns were against Mequinenza (1133) and Fraga (1134), where García Ramírez, the future king of Navarre, and a mere 500 other knights fought with him. It fell on 17 July. He was dead by September. Alfonso was a fierce, violent man, a soldier and nothing else, whose piety was wholly militant. He has a great role in the Spanish reconquest.

His testament was not honored: Aragon took his aged brother abbot-bishop Ramiro out of a monastery and made him king, marrying him without papal dispensation to Agnes, sister of the Duke of Aquitaine; the Navarrese lords, perhaps irked at the personal union of Aragon and Navarre signalled their independence by putting García Ramírez Lord of Monzón, descendant of an illlegitimate son of García Sánchez III, to the throne. "The result of the crisis produced by the result of Alfonso I's will was a major reorientation of the peninsula's kingdoms: the separation of Aragon and Navarre, the union of Aragon and Catalonia and— a moot point but stressed particularly by some Castilian historians— the affirmation of 'Castilian hegemony' in Spain" by the rendering of homage for Zaragoza by Alfonso's eventual heir, Ramon Berenguer IV of Barcelona.

Last edited:
The wikipedia article of Queen Urraca:

Urraca of Castile (1082 – March 8, 1126) was Queen of Castile and León from 1109 to her death. She was the daughter of Alfonso VI of Castile by his second wife, Constance of Burgundy. She became heiress to her father's kingdom after her only brother was killed in the Battle of Ucles in 1108.
She was married, as a child, to Raymond of Burgundy who died in September 1107. They had two children: the Infante Alfonso Raimúndez (born 1104) and the Infanta Sancha (born before 1095). Now a widow, Urraca was ruler of Galicia. She was also her father's only surviving legitimate child, and now the heiress to Castile. King Alfonso VI selected a new husband for her. His choice fell on Alfonso I of Aragon who he hoped would safeguard the kingdom. Alfonso was renowned as a great warrior. According to the chronicler Ibn al-Athir, Alfonso once remarked that "a real soldier lives with men, not with women".

Urraca and Alfonso of Aragon were related within forbidden degrees. Bernard, Archbishop of Toledo, objected to the marriage on these grounds and condemned it as consanguinous. Nevertheless, Urraca and Alfonso were married in October 1109 in Monzón. Urraca accused Alfonso of being physically abusive to her. Their inability to produce a child created a further rift between them. The royal couple were separated by 1111 and their marriage was annulled in 1114. Urraca never remarried though she took several lovers, including Count Gómez González.
Urraca's reign was disturbed by strife among the powerful nobles and especially by constant warfare with her husband who had seized her lands. Another thorn on her side was her brother-in-law, Henry, the husband of her half-sister Teresa of Leon. He alternatively allied with Alfonso I of Aragon, then betrayed Alfonso for a better offer from Urraca's court. After Henry's death in 1112, his widow, Teresa, still contested ownership of lands with Urraca. With the aid of her son, Alfonso Raimúndez, Urraca was able to win back much of her domain and ruled successfully for many years.
According to the Chronicon Compostellanum, Urraca died in childbirth in 1126. The father was her lover, Count Pedro González of Lara. She was succeeded by her legitimate son, Alfonso VII.

Besides her two legitimate children by Raymond of Burgundy, Urraca also had an illegitimate son by her lover, Pedro González de Lara. She recognized their son, Fernando Perez Furtado, in 1123.

Last edited:
And some wikipedia information on Raymond of Burgundy:

Raymond of Burgundy (Spanish and Portuguese: Raimundo) was the fourth son of William I, Count of Burgundy and was Count of Amous. He came to the Iberian Peninsula for the first time during the period 1086-1087 with Eudes I, Duke of Burgundy. He came for the second time (1090) to marry Urraca of Castile, eventual heiress of Alfonso VI of Castile, King of León and Castile.
He came with his cousin Henry of Burgundy, who married the other daughter of Alfonso VI, Teresa of León (or Portugal). By his marriage Raymond received the County of Galicia, the County of Portugal and the County of Coimbra. The last two were later offered to Henry of Burgundy, father of the first Portuguese King Afonso I Henriques of Portugal.

A 19th century painting of Urraca I de León, painted by Spanish painter María Rodríguez de Losada

267px-Urraca_I_de_Le%C3%B3n_%28Ayuntamiento_de_Le%C3%B3n%29.jpg

Modern statue of Alfonso I of Aragon as a warrior in the Parque Grande José Antonio Labordeta, Zaragoza.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Estatua_de_Alfonso_I_de_Aragón.jpg

Medieval depiction of Urraca.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Urraca_I_of_Leon-Castile.jpg

13-century miniature of Queen Urraca presiding the Court from Tumbo A codex Santiago de Compostela Cathedral.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/UrracaRegina_TumboA.jpg

Tomb of Alfonso I of Aragon in the Monastery of San Pedro el Viejo (Huesca).
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Monasterio_de_San_Pedro_el_Viejo,_Huesca).jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom