The late Count and Countess of Barcelona

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the tread :flowers: maybe we can change/add to the title the event of the centenary birthday anniversary of Don Juan that will be celebrated by the SRF on June 20th this year.

Remind me closer to that date and I will ammend the thread title to coincide with his centenary.

On May 14, 1977, in a simple and brief ceremony held in the family environment of the Zarzuela Palace, he officially renounced his dynastic rights, handing over to his son the leadership of the Family and Royal House of Spain. For the rest of his life he would retain the title of Count of Barcelona, a use that would be ratified by Royal Decree of November 6, 1987.

https://c4.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G301709b7/21901731_vI18M.jpeg

Thank you for the photos! :flowers:

Her last name was de Borbón y Orleans (it was her half-brother Infante Alfonso who adopted Borbón-Dos Sicilias as his family name). For instance, she is styled Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans in the 1987 royal decree on the styles of the Royal Family.

2. Igual título y tratamiento recibirá la madre de Su Majestad el Rey, don Juan Carlos I de Borbón, Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans.​

Similarly, at the time of her birth, she was styled as a Princess of the House of Bourbon, rather than as Princess of the Two Sicilies or Princess of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, as she was a member of the extended royal family of Spain.

That is the reason King Juan Carlos I's full name is Juan Carlos Alfonso Victor Maria de Borbón y Borbón, rather than y de Borbón-Dos Sicilias.

Last edited:
Was that from the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953?

The Countess is wearing some stunning jewels,the brooch I have not seen before.

I don't know the year of the picture. But it must be from an important event.

Is the Countess wearing the Order of the Noble Dames of Queen Maria Luisa ?

It is a shame that the Queens consort of Spain stopped wearing it.

The tiara is the Cartier Loop tiara worn by Queen Letizia at the Chinese state banquet, isn't it?

Last edited:
Is the Countess wearing the Order of the Noble Dames of Queen Maria Luisa ?

It is a shame that the Queens consort of Spain stopped wearing it.

Yes its such and shame as there are now only 2 living dames of that order.
Queen Sofia
The Infanta Margarita

2 other dames passed recently
The Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz +2020
The Infanta Alicia, Dowager Duchess of Calabria +2017

No. for the coronation the Countess wore the only time the fleur-de-lys tiara. But don't know on which occasion this pic as taken.

Was it necessary that King Juan Carlos I officially granted his father Infante Juan the title of Count of Barcelona?

Was it necessary that King Juan Carlos I officially granted his father Infante Juan the title of Count of Barcelona?

I am not sure his legal status was "only" that of Infante prior to his son's reign, as you imply. While Franco did not acknowledge Juan's claim to be the suo jure King of Spain, his son Juan Carlos was legally recognized as a Prince during the lifetime of Franco.

As for King Juan Carlos granting official status to the titles used by his family members, I suppose it wasn't strictly necessary (the Swedish monarchy is apparently fine with not doing so), but I assume it was appreciated by his family.

Last edited:
Spanish TV reports on the death of Juan de Borbón, Count of Barcelona (1993):

Back
Top Bottom