Infante Jaime of Spain, Duke of Segovia (1908-1975)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His first wife,Emanuela de Dampierre died in May this year.

A book will be published in Autumn this year about Charlotte Tiedemann, Jaime's second wife. It is written by Yvan de Wilde and edited by Nicole Dubus Vaillant. If I have read the article about the book correctly, it covers her childhood in East Prussia and her career as a model and actress. It also covers her life with the Duke of Segovia.

More information about the book and author can be found in this article from Noblesse & Royutes:

Google Translate

Last edited:
A book will be published in Autumn this year which is about Charlotte Tiedemann, Jaime's second wife. It is written by Yvan de Wilde and Nicole Dubus Vaillant. If I have read the article about the book correctly, it covers her childhood in East Prussia and her career as a model and actress. It also covers her life with the Duke of Segovia.

More information in this article from Noblesse & Royutes:

Google Translate

Sounds interesting,I wonder will we get an English version!

A read the article also in Noblesse et Royautés.
I did not know she was so popular and an important Duchess and makes the Duke happy. I did now either the troubles they had with the Duke two Sons .
I don' have pictures about Alfonso and Carmen's wedding but I am sure Emmanuelle de Dampierre stole the show.
Nice Idea i to start a thread about Jaime and Charlotte Duke and Duchess of Segovie.

Sounds interesting,I know very little about Charlotte Luise Auguste Tiedemann other than she died in 1979!

Sounds interesting,I know very little about Charlotte Luise Auguste Tiedemann other than she died in 1979!

I agree, the book does sound interesting and I too would like to learn more about her. I know that she's an actress/signer and that she originally came from Innsbruck (a lovely town in Austria) and that her parents were called Otto and Luise. Here are a couple of pages with information about Charlotte:

- Person Page 10329
<strong>La tragedia de Don Jaime de Borbón (II)</strong> - El Manifiesto

The Infante Jaime was known to the French legitimists as Henri VI.
After 1957, Jaime signed all documents as Jacques Henri.

The Infante Jaime was known to the French legitimists as Henri VI.
After 1957, Jaime signed all documents as Jacques Henri.

That's interesting, I hadn't known this beforehand. I did some further research on Wikipedia, and would also like to add to your post that he took the title of Duke of Anjou after proclaiming himself the senior legitimate male heir of the House of Capet, former French throne and House of Bourbon. His grandson is Prince Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou, whom some believe is the pretender to the former French throne as Louis XX.

When you mention that he signed all documents as "Jacques Henri", do you mean that he signed every document in general as "Jacques Henri", or just documents relating to France and his claim to the former throne?

When you mention that he signed all documents as "Jacques Henri", do you mean that he signed every document in general as "Jacques Henri", or just documents relating to France and his claim to the former throne?

I get this picture in my head of JH getting scolded by a bossy and middleaged female postal teller for refusing to sign a form using anything else than his christian names ;)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I wonder if the Dukedom of Segovia will ever be used again by a member of the Spanish RF?

The Infante was very inconsequent. In 1933 Infante Don Jaime renounced all his claims on the Spanish throne. In 1949 he withdrew his renunciation. In 1969 he renounced again all his claims to the Spanish throne.

He only was a Heir or claimant to the Spanish throne, because there is a Spanish throne occupied by the Bourbons, all thanks to the Treaty of Utrecht (which separated the French and the Spanish Bourbon line for ever, a condition by the powers of Europe to prevent a clustering of two mighty kingdoms in one hand).

Later the Infante claimed the kingship of France. However, he could only have beeen Infante de España and in line of succession because of the same Treaty of Utrecht. Now that Treaty suddenly is "illegal" because of the separation of the thrones, after all he now claims the throne of France, being the most senior Bourbon (which he definitely was).

It takes two to tango. Either you accept the Treaty of Utrecht which made that your father was King of Spain or you consider it as an illegal act and claim the throne of France. But when the Treaty of Utrecht is illegal, your father could never have been the King of Spain... Really, it has the same logic and consequence as a bucket with slimy eels. His grandson Don Luis Alfonso makes the same ridiculous claims.

Last edited:
Either you accept the Treaty of Utrecht which made that your father was King of Spain or you consider it as an illegal act and claim the throne of France.
Just my two cents, but I suppose that after three hundred years since the Treaty was signed and started producing its effects one could just consider it a matter of fact.
It is a fact that the Treaty was signed and produced its effects, whatever it was legal or illegal - and at the time clearly this wasn't an issue at all, or however all the nations that signed the treaty of Utrecht considered it to be legal and binding.
Many illegal things happened in the past and I believe that one cannot act simply ignoring them and their consequences only because they were illegal. They happened and this is a fact that has to be faced.

According to a New York Times dispatch, June 24, 1908 Infante Jaime was to be baptized on June 29, 1908. Luitpold, the Prince Regent of Bavaria and Infanta Isabel of Spain were named as the Infante's godparents.

Did he use sign language or lip reading?

"Jaime was educated to read lips and became fluent in Spanish, English and French."

Source:
Dativo Salvia y Ocana, "Beatriz, the Roman Infanta," Royalty Digest Quarterly, 2018, no. 1, pp. 45-46.

The remains of Infante Jaime will be moved from El Escorial, the royal burial ground where they have been since 1985, to the Pantheon of Infantes which is also situated in El Escorial:

La dépouille de l'infant Jaime bientôt transférée au Panthéon des Infants - Noblesse & Royautés

The Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia remains are currently in the decaying chamber (El pudridero) which is traditional and they can remain there for up to 25 years before being re interred elsewhere at the El Escorial.

The Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia remains are currently in the decaying chamber (El pudridero) which is traditional and they can remain there for up to 25 years before being re interred elsewhere at the El Escorial.
He is in the pudridero since 1985 so already well over 25 years.

I wonder will there be a Mass or his remains simply just re interred at the Pantheon Real de Infantes?

I wonder will there be a Mass or his remains simply just re interred at the Pantheon Real de Infantes?
I think there is n o Mass at last there was no public Mass was the remains of his mother where transferred to the Pantheon of the Kings a few year ago.

There is no public celebration, the monks of the monastery make the transfer in a private act.

Ah; interesting, so it would seem there are two "stages" to burial in the El Escorial. I wonder why Infante Jaime's remains weren't moved sooner since as has already been pointed out, it's already been 25 years since 1985.

Ah; interesting, so it would seem there are two "stages" to burial in the El Escorial. I wonder why Infante Jaime's remains weren't moved sooner since as has already been pointed out, it's already been 25 years since 1985.

The remains of Jaime's mother Queen Ena were also left the pudridero for over 40 years before royal entombment.

Though a gruesome job, the gathering of the bones must be "cleaner work" when so much extra time has been allotted. The process reminds me of the Towers of Silence and similar ancient cultural practices, except they mostly rely/relied on carrion birds and meat-eating animals to speed up the skeletonization process.

The remains of Jaime's mother Queen Ena were also left the pudridero for over 40 years before royal entombment.

Though a gruesome job, the gathering of the bones must be "cleaner work" when so much extra time has been allotted. The process reminds me of the Towers of Silence and similar ancient cultural practices, except they mostly rely/relied on carrion birds and meat-eating animals to speed up the skeletonization process.

Thanks for the additional information. It would seem that Jaime's remains are following in those of his mother's footsteps.

Thanks for the additional information. It would seem that Jaime's remains are following in those of his mother's footsteps.

Only that his remains will find their last place in the Pantheon of the Infantes not in the Pantheon of the Kings.
Actually everyone who is buried at the Escorial has to go through this Procedur that the remains are first put in the Pudrideor for some time before finding their last place.
I think the only example who did not have to go through it was the remains of King Alfonso XIII. After his death in 1941 he was buired in Rome and when they where transferred to the Escorial in the 1980's they where directly put it the Pantheon of the Kings.

Only that his remains will find their last place in the Pantheon of the Infantes not in the Pantheon of the Kings.
Actually everyone who is buried at the Escorial has to go through this Procedur that the remains are first put in the Pudrideor for some time before finding their last place.

Yes; I'm aware.

I think the only example who did not have to go through it was the remains of King Alfonso XIII. After his death in 1941 he was buired in Rome and when they where transferred to the Escorial in the 1980's they where directly put it the Pantheon of the Kings.

Now that I didn't know. Interesting piece of information.

Back
Top Bottom