Infanta Eulalia of Spain, Duchess of Galliera

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Infanta Eulalia of Spain,Duchess of Galliera

A fascinating Spanish Royal,the daughter of Isabella II lived a very interesting life!

Boldini_-_Maria_Eulalia_of_Spain.jpg

Infanta Eulalia of Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fascinating indeed. You know that she was called "Eulalia La Descarriada" - Eulalia The Stray one? :)

Dinastias, Foros de la Realeza has a fascinating thread on her with info and photos -unfortunately only for Castillian readers.

Fascinating indeed. You know that she was called "Eulalia La Descarriada" - Eulalia The Stray one? :)

Dinastias, Foros de la Realeza has a fascinating thread on her with info and photos -unfortunately only for Castillian readers.

Yes I've seen the photo's on that site,I'd like to read more on Infanta Eulalia!

While I have heard of hers sons, Infante Alvaro and Infante Luis Fernando, I confess not knowing a lot about this fascinating woman.
The Wikipedia entry was certainly very interesting, and thank you for all the additional details, An Ard Ri, Kataryn and Alondra. I absolutely love learning about relatively unknown or unfortunately forgotten royals. :flowers:

An Ard Ri, I was rather intrigued by your username until I did a search to understand what it means. A great choice for a royal forum, I must say. :)

I wonder what sort of relationship Infanta Eulalia had with her daughter in law,Princess Beatrice?

The Infanta appears to have initially been against the union of her son and Princess Beatrice: she was reportedly furious when the Spanish Government refused Alfonso permission to marry Beatrice. However, she did later support the union and gave her blessing.
I haven't been able to find a single source that would suggest that following the marriage, the relationship between Eulalia and her daughter-in-law was anything but amiable.

The Infanta had a very impressive jewelry collection,sadly its believed that most of it was stolen following the exile of the Royal family in 1931.

Infanta Eulalia did manage to have some pieces returned to her when she returned to live in Spain.

In her book She wrote it was so difficult to be an Infanta at that time.

The Duchess was a controversial figure due to her writings,which I'd imagine raised quite a few royal eyebrows!

I agree and I think She had to stop writing . Order of the King !

It does, indeed ;)
Some of the pics of Eulalia from that thread are amongs my favourite pics ever from the SRF, like this or this. She was a gracious child.

Infanta Eulalia wrote an article about the German Emperor Wilhelm II for the Strand Magazine in 1915.

An article from hola on HRH The Infanta Infanta Eulalia of Spain,Duchess of Galliera,daughter of Isabella II.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...5/eulalia-borbon-infanta-cristina-desarraigo/

Thank you, An Ard Ri. You always find such interesting articles.

Indeed, Infanta Eulalia is a reminder that the Spanish Bourbons have never been foreign to controversies and internecine disagreements.

It seems that France was the fallback destination for Spanish royals who found themselves on the wrong side of the monarch.

It seems that France was the fallback destination for Spanish royals who found themselves on the wrong side of the monarch.

That's very true many of them ended up in exile in France.

On 6 March 1886, at Madrid, Eulalia married her first cousin Infante Antonio de Orléans y Borbón, Duke di Galliera, son of Antoine, Duke of Montpensier, and his wife, Infanta Luisa Fernanda of Spain. The officiant was Cardinal Zeferino González y Díaz Tuñón, Archbishop of Seville. The wedding was delayed several months on account of the death of Eulalia's brother, King Alfonso XII. Eulalia and Antonio spent their honeymoon at the Palacio Real de Aranjuez.

Eulalia and Antonio had two sons:
Infante Alfonso, Duke of Galliera (1886–1975) m. Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
Luis Fernando de Orleans y Borbón (1888–1945) m. Marie Constance Charlotte Say

After the birth of her younger son, Eulalia lived apart from her husband. She maintained residences in Spain and Paris and visited England frequently.

Source: Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom