Username questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daneborn

Aristocracy
City
Helsingborg
Country
Sweden
I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I was wondering why it is allowed for people to have user names like Margrethe II or Elizabeth II ?? I happen to think it's somewhat disrespectful.

I wonder what people thought when you picked up those usernames, and I wonder what the administrators thoughts are on this :confused:

tho personally I wouldn't pick a username like that, but I believe it's a form of hero-worship and shouldn't be taken as disrespectful, but rather it could even be considered flattering

I personally do not find it disrespectful or a form of hero-worship, i think it is just people choosing a favourite royal and having their name as a username.

Though i am a boy, but as Queen Elizabeth II is really my favourite for about 8 years and i would love to choose that nickname on the Queen's name.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I would love to choose that nickname on the Queen's name.
In which case you should have called yourself Lillibet. :)

Members are free to pick whatever name they like, so long as no one else has it and the name is not rude or offensive, in English or another language.

Unfortunately the name lilibet is taken - by someone who registered in 2004 and has never posted.

Have you ever thought of cleaning up the member list? I think there are a lot that havn't been here for years.

Yes, we're thinking about it. It's going to be a huge job, though, if we do go ahead with it.

I don't think that should be done. Just because you do not post, your account will be deleted. I don't agree

Elspeth said:
Yes, we're thinking about it. It's going to be a huge job, though, if we do go ahead with it.

I agree with you...the memebers that are registerd a long time ago and haven't post anything should be deleted..:)

Princess Maxima said:
I agree with you...the memebers that are registerd a long time ago and haven't post anything should be deleted..:)

But aren't there people who sign on & read the posts but they never post? Maybe the names that get deleted should be the ones of people who have only signed on once (and that was to register)

Alexandria said:
Members are free to pick whatever name they like, so long as no one else has it and the name is not rude or offensive, in English or another language.
I really don't wanna offend anyone, but I find it offensive that someone can call themselves Queen Margrethe II.

It's not as if Queen Margrethe only has one fan. What's the rest of us gonna do :confused:

It also gives the impression that the site is more satirical than factual. Royals are not cartoon characters, they are real people.

It's like using another person's name and reputation to get more prominence for yourself.

Those who take a royal alias will have to deal with the fact that some readers (like myself) won't pay any serious attention to what they write because I know they are hiding under someone else's skirt.

I would never dream of calling myself Queen Margrethe even though I love her very much. I think it's like swearing in the church. Really disrespectful.

I'm sorry for being such a prick, but it just really puzzles me.

Is it because most people on this community don't actually live in monarchies ??

I took the name Fagerborn because Fager means beautiful in Scandinavian, that way you can all have an idea what I look like :p

the issue about non-active users, you don't actually have to have a username to view the pages ?? what if the administrators put a message in a general forum that you will clean up usernames who haven't posted for more than 12 months ?? it's not hard to make a short reply to that message by simply saying 'i wanna keep my username', hence making it active. (or pm the administrators if we have really shy people around here.)

Are people allowed to use usernames from other languages? if you click on member list, the first 2 usernames are Chinese names, but I think most people will see them as some codes?

Fagerborn said:
I really don't wanna offend anyone, but I find it offensive that someone can call themselves Queen Margrethe II.

It's not as if Queen Margrethe only has one fan. What's the rest of us gonna do :confused:

It also gives the impression that the site is more satirical than factual. Royals are not cartoon characters, they are real people.

It's like using another person's name and reputation to get more prominence for yourself.

Those who take a royal alias will have to deal with the fact that some readers (like myself) won't pay any serious attention to what they write because I know they are hiding under someone else's skirt.

I would never dream of calling myself Queen Margrethe even though I love her very much. I think it's like swearing in the church. Really disrespectful.

I'm sorry for being such a prick, but it just really puzzles me.

Is it because most people on this community don't actually live in monarchies ??

I took the name Fagerborn because Fager means beautiful in Scandinavian, that way you can all have an idea what I look like :p

the issue about non-active users, you don't actually have to have a username to view the pages ?? what if the administrators put a message in a general forum that you will clean up usernames who haven't posted for more than 12 months ?? it's not hard to make a short reply to that message by simply saying 'i wanna keep my username', hence making it active. (or pm the administrators if we have really shy people around here.)

Well, Fagerborn, firstly I must say that someone's username doesn't influence my opinion of them! My username is very simple - my name and the year that my parents immigrated - I chose that name because it was easy for me to remember, but if I chose another name, I don't think anyone would judge me any differently.

My opinion, for whatever it's worth is that usernames are exactly that - names - and one's username, for instance the a name that you chose, it is the name you use, but it doesn't indicate who you are, your posts do that for you. So saying that you would dismiss someone's opinion because of their username is IMO, rather silly.

As for this part -

If you think it's disrespectful to use the names of royalty, then why complain about names being taken?:confused:

As for clearing up the member's list, I think that all members who haven't logged-in in the last 12 months should be removed, if they don't want to post, and just want to read the threads, then they don't need to be a member to do that.

Layla1971 said:
As for clearing up the member's list, I think that all members who haven't logged-in in the last 12 months should be removed, if they don't want to post, and just want to read the threads, then they don't need to be a member to do that.
There is no requirement or compulsion for members to post. There are some members who regularly visit the Forums but rarely, if ever, post. That is their choice, and they are as wecome here as any regularly-posting member.

Those who have not accessed the Forums at all for a considerable period could safely be removed from the Members List.

Warren said:
There is no requirement or compulsion for members to post. There are some members who regularly visit the Forums but rarely, if ever, post. That is their choice, and they are as wecome here as any regularly-posting member.

Those who have not accessed the Forums at all for a considerable period could safely be removed from the Members List.

Warren, you didn't read my post too well, huh? I said those that haven't "logged-in" should be removed from the list, those who haven't logged-in obviously haven't acessed the forums .

Fagerborn said:

By "offensive," Alexandria meant generically offensive, like vulgar or profane terms or deliberately insulting names, along the lines of the sort of things that's forbidden in the rules for including in posts. We realise that some names will offend some users, but we can't disallow names just because three or four people happen to find them offensive for personal reasons.

Is there an option to to edit your username if you want to? I cant find one.:confused:

We do not change user names unless under extenuating circumstances. If you have a valid reason for changing your member name, then please fill out a ticket at the Support Desk.

florawindsor said:
Are people allowed to use usernames from other languages? if you click on member list, the first 2 usernames are Chinese names, but I think most people will see them as some codes?
I also think about that Florawindsor.
I don't want to offend anybody but just got an idea. As we can see that some of members write their user name in other than English/Latin letter it makes me wonder how to read it or even how to pronounce it. I’m thinking about it because of since user name is the main identity we have in this forum then it can make better conversation/discussion (in future) between posters by knowing name quiet well (at least know how read it). I think it will be very helpful for others if someone who writes a user name in other letter than English/Latin letter also write down the translation (how to read/pronounce it) in English/Latin letter. I have a Chinese friend who translates her name in Latin letter, she has said to me that it is not very easy to transform it in to Latin letter because the result is not exactly the same but I think it is still ok:) .

IMO it's no problem to use a name like "Elizabeth II". It's much better than to use a mindless combination of letters like "ABCDEFG". A username should have a meaning. And if somebody's username is Elizabeth II, everybody knows that he likes the Queen:)

For me it's important that my username is short and that everybody knows how to pronounce it. And I have two associativitys for coco
- coco - coconut - I love coconuts:)
- coco - Coco Chanel - not royal but glamorous, admirable and French!

And it looks funny because c and o are similar to eachother and there are just two letters.

But I regret that I didn't write it in a more interesting way: ~coco~ or COCO* or CoCo or c o c o or cOcO . . . Now it's too late . . .

But I like my name!

Last edited:
coco, if you just want to add some twiddly bits to your name rather than change it altogether, that's fine; just send me a PM with your preferred version and I'll make the change for you. Just do us all a favour and don't make it too complicated. ;)

Also, just as a general reminder, remember that we've updated the rules since this thread was started; we do allow new members (ones who've been here 30 days or less) and members with 50 or fewer posts to make one change of name if they decide they don't like the one they signed up with.

As far as i'm concerned Beatrice is my real name and it has nothing to do with United Kingdom's Princess Beatrice or Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands;)

... Also, just as a general reminder, remember that we've updated the rules since this thread was started; we do allow new members (ones who've been here 30 days or less) and members with 50 or fewer posts to make one change of name if they decide they don't like the one they signed up with.

Wish I had known that. I wanted to add 3 letters before my name.

kerry, it's a new rule that only came into effect a couple of weeks ago, so it wouldn't have applied to you anyway.

Do I gather you want to become HRH Kerry?:D If it's just a minor change which leaves your name recognisable rather than an actual change of name, PM me and I can probably change it for you.

Strange User Names

Ok, this is sort of hard to explain, but I'm going to try my best. I didn't know how to word it in the title, so it may be a little misleading.:flowers:

You know how at the top of a post, it has the posters user name, avatar, post count etc.? Well, in a few posts (I noticed them a lot in the early early threads, like from 2002) it just has the name, nothing else, not in bold print, and for post count it said n/a. What does this mean?

I might be wrong, but I think its because they are no longer members- but as I said I am probably wrong.

Back
Top Bottom