The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-29-2005, 07:07 AM
Daneborn's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 250
Username questions

I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I was wondering why it is allowed for people to have user names like Margrethe II or Elizabeth II ?? I happen to think it's somewhat disrespectful.

I wonder what people thought when you picked up those usernames, and I wonder what the administrators thoughts are on this
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2005, 07:39 AM
elizahawthorne's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: , United Kingdom
Posts: 350
tho personally I wouldn't pick a username like that, but I believe it's a form of hero-worship and shouldn't be taken as disrespectful, but rather it could even be considered flattering
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Amy's Avatar
Amy Amy is offline
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: -, United Kingdom
Posts: 215
I personally do not find it disrespectful or a form of hero-worship, i think it is just people choosing a favourite royal and having their name as a username.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2005, 08:14 AM
HMQueenElizabethII's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ryde, Australia
Posts: 3,775
Though i am a boy, but as Queen Elizabeth II is really my favourite for about 8 years and i would love to choose that nickname on the Queen's name.
__________________
"God save our Gracious Queen,
Long live our Noble Queen,
God save The Queen"
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
I would love to choose that nickname on the Queen's name.
In which case you should have called yourself Lillibet. :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Members are free to pick whatever name they like, so long as no one else has it and the name is not rude or offensive, in English or another language.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Unfortunately the name lilibet is taken - by someone who registered in 2004 and has never posted.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2005, 02:46 PM
tbhrc's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: *Ruhrgebiet*, Germany
Posts: 9,376
Have you ever thought of cleaning up the member list? I think there are a lot that havn't been here for years.
__________________
_*_*_tbhrc_*_*_
'I think optimism is a choice one makes. For me, the cup is half full. Or maybe a quarter full. Or at least there is a cup.
Or there could be a cup…' (Princess Caroline of Hanover)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Yes, we're thinking about it. It's going to be a huge job, though, if we do go ahead with it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2005, 04:04 PM
StoneCold's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wales, United Kingdom
Posts: 172
I don't think that should be done. Just because you do not post, your account will be deleted. I don't agree
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Princess Maxima's Avatar
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Yes, we're thinking about it. It's going to be a huge job, though, if we do go ahead with it.
I agree with you...the memebers that are registerd a long time ago and haven't post anything should be deleted..:)
__________________
Reina Máxima
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Lady Jennifer's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Posts: 7,672
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
I agree with you...the memebers that are registerd a long time ago and haven't post anything should be deleted..:)
But aren't there people who sign on & read the posts but they never post? Maybe the names that get deleted should be the ones of people who have only signed on once (and that was to register)
__________________
TRF Rules & FAQ
"Life is a succession of moments. To live each one is to succeed." - Corita Kent

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Daneborn's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Members are free to pick whatever name they like, so long as no one else has it and the name is not rude or offensive, in English or another language.
I really don't wanna offend anyone, but I find it offensive that someone can call themselves Queen Margrethe II.

It's not as if Queen Margrethe only has one fan. What's the rest of us gonna do

It also gives the impression that the site is more satirical than factual. Royals are not cartoon characters, they are real people.

It's like using another person's name and reputation to get more prominence for yourself.

Those who take a royal alias will have to deal with the fact that some readers (like myself) won't pay any serious attention to what they write because I know they are hiding under someone else's skirt.

I would never dream of calling myself Queen Margrethe even though I love her very much. I think it's like swearing in the church. Really disrespectful.

I'm sorry for being such a prick, but it just really puzzles me.

Is it because most people on this community don't actually live in monarchies ??

I took the name Fagerborn because Fager means beautiful in Scandinavian, that way you can all have an idea what I look like :p

the issue about non-active users, you don't actually have to have a username to view the pages ?? what if the administrators put a message in a general forum that you will clean up usernames who haven't posted for more than 12 months ?? it's not hard to make a short reply to that message by simply saying 'i wanna keep my username', hence making it active. (or pm the administrators if we have really shy people around here.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-29-2005, 09:31 PM
florawindsor's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , China
Posts: 279
Are people allowed to use usernames from other languages? if you click on member list, the first 2 usernames are Chinese names, but I think most people will see them as some codes?
__________________
i'm not from an english speaking country, plz forgive me if i made any stupid mistakes in my post

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Layla1971's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagerborn
I really don't wanna offend anyone, but I find it offensive that someone can call themselves Queen Margrethe II.

It's not as if Queen Margrethe only has one fan. What's the rest of us gonna do

It also gives the impression that the site is more satirical than factual. Royals are not cartoon characters, they are real people.

It's like using another person's name and reputation to get more prominence for yourself.

Those who take a royal alias will have to deal with the fact that some readers (like myself) won't pay any serious attention to what they write because I know they are hiding under someone else's skirt.

I would never dream of calling myself Queen Margrethe even though I love her very much. I think it's like swearing in the church. Really disrespectful.

I'm sorry for being such a prick, but it just really puzzles me.

Is it because most people on this community don't actually live in monarchies ??

I took the name Fagerborn because Fager means beautiful in Scandinavian, that way you can all have an idea what I look like :p

the issue about non-active users, you don't actually have to have a username to view the pages ?? what if the administrators put a message in a general forum that you will clean up usernames who haven't posted for more than 12 months ?? it's not hard to make a short reply to that message by simply saying 'i wanna keep my username', hence making it active. (or pm the administrators if we have really shy people around here.)
Well, Fagerborn, firstly I must say that someone's username doesn't influence my opinion of them! My username is very simple - my name and the year that my parents immigrated - I chose that name because it was easy for me to remember, but if I chose another name, I don't think anyone would judge me any differently.

My opinion, for whatever it's worth is that usernames are exactly that - names - and one's username, for instance the a name that you chose, it is the name you use, but it doesn't indicate who you are, your posts do that for you. So saying that you would dismiss someone's opinion because of their username is IMO, rather silly.

As for this part -
Quote:
It's not as if Queen Margrethe only has one fan. What's the rest of us gonna do
If you think it's disrespectful to use the names of royalty, then why complain about names being taken?
__________________
In critical moments even the powerful have need of the weakest.
Aesop

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Layla1971's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,622
As for clearing up the member's list, I think that all members who haven't logged-in in the last 12 months should be removed, if they don't want to post, and just want to read the threads, then they don't need to be a member to do that.
__________________
In critical moments even the powerful have need of the weakest.
Aesop

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
As for clearing up the member's list, I think that all members who haven't logged-in in the last 12 months should be removed, if they don't want to post, and just want to read the threads, then they don't need to be a member to do that.
There is no requirement or compulsion for members to post. There are some members who regularly visit the Forums but rarely, if ever, post. That is their choice, and they are as wecome here as any regularly-posting member.

Those who have not accessed the Forums at all for a considerable period could safely be removed from the Members List.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Layla1971's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
There is no requirement or compulsion for members to post. There are some members who regularly visit the Forums but rarely, if ever, post. That is their choice, and they are as wecome here as any regularly-posting member.

Those who have not accessed the Forums at all for a considerable period could safely be removed from the Members List.
Warren, you didn't read my post too well, huh? I said those that haven't "logged-in" should be removed from the list, those who haven't logged-in obviously haven't acessed the forums .
__________________
In critical moments even the powerful have need of the weakest.
Aesop

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagerborn
I really don't wanna offend anyone, but I find it offensive that someone can call themselves Queen Margrethe II.
By "offensive," Alexandria meant generically offensive, like vulgar or profane terms or deliberately insulting names, along the lines of the sort of things that's forbidden in the rules for including in posts. We realise that some names will offend some users, but we can't disallow names just because three or four people happen to find them offensive for personal reasons.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-01-2006, 03:52 AM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,194
Question Username questions

Is there an option to to edit your username if you want to? I cant find one.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General questions and Forum issues The O.C. Fanatic Forum Announcements and Admin 428 05-09-2014 01:58 PM
George, Duke of Kent (1902-ka1942) and Princess Marina (1906-1968) lashinka2002 British Royals 92 02-08-2014 09:10 PM
Questions about TRF? Find the answers here! Warren Forum Announcements and Admin 7 01-19-2013 04:24 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman palace pom pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]