The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Heir Apparent

We do not change user names unless under extenuating circumstances. If you have a valid reason for changing your member name, then please fill out a ticket at the Support Desk.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness

oh ok, no problem. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
Are people allowed to use usernames from other languages? if you click on member list, the first 2 usernames are Chinese names, but I think most people will see them as some codes?
I also think about that Florawindsor.
I don't want to offend anybody but just got an idea. As we can see that some of members write their user name in other than English/Latin letter it makes me wonder how to read it or even how to pronounce it. I’m thinking about it because of since user name is the main identity we have in this forum then it can make better conversation/discussion (in future) between posters by knowing name quiet well (at least know how read it). I think it will be very helpful for others if someone who writes a user name in other letter than English/Latin letter also write down the translation (how to read/pronounce it) in English/Latin letter. I have a Chinese friend who translates her name in Latin letter, she has said to me that it is not very easy to transform it in to Latin letter because the result is not exactly the same but I think it is still ok:) .
Old 07-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

IMO it's no problem to use a name like "Elizabeth II". It's much better than to use a mindless combination of letters like "ABCDEFG". A username should have a meaning. And if somebody's username is Elizabeth II, everybody knows that he likes the Queen

For me it's important that my username is short and that everybody knows how to pronounce it. And I have two associativitys for coco
- coco - coconut - I love coconuts
- coco - Coco Chanel - not royal but glamorous, admirable and French!

And it looks funny because c and o are similar to eachother and there are just two letters.

But I regret that I didn't write it in a more interesting way: ~coco~ or COCO* or CoCo or c o c o or cOcO . . . Now it's too late . . .

But I like my name!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

coco, if you just want to add some twiddly bits to your name rather than change it altogether, that's fine; just send me a PM with your preferred version and I'll make the change for you. Just do us all a favour and don't make it too complicated.

Also, just as a general reminder, remember that we've updated the rules since this thread was started; we do allow new members (ones who've been here 30 days or less) and members with 50 or fewer posts to make one change of name if they decide they don't like the one they signed up with.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Nobility

As far as i'm concerned Beatrice is my real name and it has nothing to do with United Kingdom's Princess Beatrice or Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
... Also, just as a general reminder, remember that we've updated the rules since this thread was started; we do allow new members (ones who've been here 30 days or less) and members with 50 or fewer posts to make one change of name if they decide they don't like the one they signed up with.
Wish I had known that. I wanted to add 3 letters before my name.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

kerry, it's a new rule that only came into effect a couple of weeks ago, so it wouldn't have applied to you anyway.

Do I gather you want to become HRH Kerry? If it's just a minor change which leaves your name recognisable rather than an actual change of name, PM me and I can probably change it for you.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Royal Highness

Strange User Names

Ok, this is sort of hard to explain, but I'm going to try my best. I didn't know how to word it in the title, so it may be a little misleading.

You know how at the top of a post, it has the posters user name, avatar, post count etc.? Well, in a few posts (I noticed them a lot in the early early threads, like from 2002) it just has the name, nothing else, not in bold print, and for post count it said n/a. What does this mean?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
I might be wrong, but I think its because they are no longer members- but as I said I am probably wrong.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Royal Highness

I didn't know you could stop being a member. I thought that if you didn't like it you just stopped posting.

(Don't worry, I'm not thinking of leaving!!!!)
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Courtier

In other forums I've been in, those types of posts were made by guests who didn't have a regular username and password. It's possible that TRF used to allow guests to post, they don't anymore [most forums don't].
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Heir Apparent

A while back in 2005 we gave the notice that we would delete some of the users that hadn't been active for at least a year (It turned out to be more time than that, if I recall correctly). Mostly it was people who had registered, taken a popular username, like Elizabeth... and then never returned, but some of them also had a few posts. The posts of these deleted members, will appear with the username only - and no link to a profile.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

As far as I know, we didn't delete any users with posts during that purge, just ones who'd registered (I think we used a 2-year window in the end) and never shown up again after registering, and had helped themselves to popular names. We're always hopeful that members who have posted in the past will come back! I think in a mass deletion like that, people's IDs would be set to Guest if they had posts.

It's possible that this happened when Andy took over the site or that things were different a few years ago when users were deleted, but I don't really know.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Royal Highness

Why aren't there any guests allowed to post any more? Did this happen when the Andy person took over?

This is what I'm talking about:

Nikolai and Felix: Future Possibilities and Options
Old 08-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think that are people who cancelled their membership.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

"The Andy person"? Good heavens.

Poor Andy...

Far as I know, that just means the user was deleted. I think these days it reverts to Guest and the username is then available for re-use, but in the past it may have just defaulted to the way it looks in that link of yours. I assume that if it's different now, the change will have happened during an upgrade of the vbulletin software, not just because the owner changed.

I'm pretty sure that guests (i.e., nonregistered persons) were never allowed to post.

Maybe the Andy person might have some more information.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

he's not an andy person, he's my hero!!!! works very hard to keep this forum up. big applause for andy everyone.
i don't think guests have ever been able to post??? only read i'm pretty sure.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I don't know who this Andy is, so I'm sorry if I offended him!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Well, I don't know who this Andy is, so I'm sorry if I offended him!
Andy is the owner of TRF. I don´t think anything upsetting has been set so he most probably won´t feel offended by anything here (I hope ), so don´t worry about that.