The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Community Forums > Forum Announcements and Admin

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Everyone especially the mods make this place so friendly and inviting so a big thank you

Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

Smile A big "thank you" to all of you!!

I believe that it's my turn to thank all of you for the good work you're doing!!And forgive us if we're overreacting sometimes...You know that everything is written and we can't always understand if something is written in a good mood.Misunderstandings can be very often.
Once again,thank you!!All the best wishes!!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Aristocracy

Where are the new posts?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Hey Admins

I and others on this board would like to say thank you for your hard work you do on this board. It never goes unoticed- This board is an excellent board and thank you for keeping it going. I know its a hard job

Keep up the good work.
I agree! This webiste is like an addiction - I could spend all day on it!
I don't know how you all find the time to wade through all of our rantings and ravings and keep everything straight and keep us all on track -

Thank you!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_berry View Post
Where are the new posts?
If you hit the New Posts link on the blue bar at the top of the forum page you should get a list of them. The link was working last time I tried it.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness

I would just like to say thank you to the moderators for this post at the Polls, Games and Quizzes thread. It was actually quite irritating to see at least two to three threads there degenerating into an extension of the "Anything You Would Like to Share?" thread. Thank you, thank you.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Commoner

WOW -- What A Place Here!

I have spent this evening just reading and absorbing all the wonderful info here. I'm sorry I didn't post much, but please give me a little more time. I lose myself in reading things and I forget that I'm supposed to post and not be a lurker.
I'm not a lurker; I love to read, and with all the posts and stuff here, this is a history lover's dream! I've just been reading and reading, and I think this place is most impressive and most informative!
I will post more, I promise. But this is terrific!
Kudos to whoever started this place, and thank you for allowing me here.
Purrs,
Pook
Old 11-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Welcome to the forums pook and glad you enjoy and find this a wonderful place.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook View Post
I have spent this evening just reading and absorbing all the wonderful info here. I'm sorry I didn't post much, but please give me a little more time. I lose myself in reading things and I forget that I'm supposed to post and not be a lurker.
I'm not a lurker; I love to read, and with all the posts and stuff here, this is a history lover's dream! I've just been reading and reading, and I think this place is most impressive and most informative!
I will post more, I promise. But this is terrific!
Kudos to whoever started this place, and thank you for allowing me here.
Purrs,
Pook
You'll have made Marengo's day with that comment. He's worked really hard to add historical content around the forum. So have many of the other moderators and admins, but it's a particular passion of Marengo's.

Just in case you haven't done enough reading yet, don't forget to check out our articles site: The Royal Articles
Old 11-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
You'll have made Marengo's day with that comment. He's worked really hard to add historical content around the forum. So have many of the other moderators and admins, but it's a particular passion of Marengo's.

Just in case you haven't done enough reading yet, don't forget to check out our articles site: The Royal Articles
Oh, wow! Well, in my honest opinion Marengo has done a terrific job and so have the mods and admin. I showed my daughter this, and she adores it. We were wrestling the laptop back and forth, reading, and saying, "Ohhhh, look at this!" and "Geez, I didn't know that!" and we would fall out of the forum following links...which led to more links...and more...LOL!
My dear daughter is a history buff as I am, and she visits on weekends with my dear grandson. Kory (my grandson) was fascinated with the pictures and he enjoyed it too. He's in first grade now.
My dear daughter, Jen (short for Jennifer) and I wish to instill in him a sense of history; how things came about to make this world as we know it now, and who made changes and differences.
We have spent the MOST enjoyable, informative, and fun evening together here on the couch on my laptop. Kory is in bed now, but my Jen is still up with me and we want to see more!
Thank you! What a wonderful resource and a place to learn!
We'd better get back to Prince Philip before Jen decides to punch me LOL!
Purrs,
Pook and Jen
Old 11-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, I think many people worked hard to get a more historical focus here, and when you do something you like it doesnt feel like working at all . Still, what we have now is a starting point, which hopefully will be useful as a solid base, to start of more historical discussions about royals.

Welcome Pook, Jen and hopefully Kory to, after you two are done with him .
Old 11-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Courtier

Thank you so much for these interesting forums. Since long, I was surching for such forums. Kind regards, Tilla.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Commoner

I was looking for a place like this as well, Tilla. Bingo! Finally found it!
We are certainly enjoying this to the hilt.
Wonderful, wonderful place, and thank all of you for making this forum absolutely fantastic.
Purrs,
Pook
Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

I am glad that as I was looking for answers to 2 questions I have, I am given the opportunity to thank all the moderators and administrators on The Royal Forums for their dedication and professionalism, and to know that they are always there to help, as well as knowing their names when they have been on the Forum for a long time, which makes you feel like you almost know them personally. It's a great plus !

My 2 questions, and I have no idea whether this is the proper place to ask them, are these:

Why are political messages (almost propaganda) as part of a poster's signature, allowed ? I find it disturbing, even if I happen to agree with the message. It seems inappropriate for this kind of forum and is distracting.

Also is TRF a fan forum ? The question came up with another poster, with whom I have very nice chats, and it had never occurred to me that this might be a fan club. I don't really even know what a fan club is, except that everybody gushes about the people they are fans of. I do know the rules of how you can post and all that, my question is really one of category.

Keep up the good work, and again, all my thanks for your great work.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Commoner

Thanks, all of you admin and mods for a great forum. I don't have much to contribute except maybe an opinion or comment, but I do lose myself in here reading and looking at pictures and learning.
What fun! Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
Why are political messages (almost propaganda) as part of a poster's signature, allowed ? I find it disturbing, even if I happen to agree with the message. It seems inappropriate for this kind of forum and is distracting.
It's not allowed. As written in our Community Rules:

Political and religious content is permitted only in association with the royal-related topics of the threads.

We don't always see everything and if you have a question or concern, you should feel free to send any of us a PM.

Quote:
Also is TRF a fan forum ? The question came up with another poster, with whom I have very nice chats, and it had never occurred to me that this might be a fan club. I don't really even know what a fan club is, except that everybody gushes about the people they are fans of. I do know the rules of how you can post and all that, my question is really one of category.
We are a discussion forum. Of course our members are usually royalty fans (although not always), but that is not all that we are. We have our fair share of gossip but we also have rich historical forums that some of the admins and mods have put enormous effort into creating, some beautifully written and formatted articles and now also a contemporary and informative blog. We try to be a little something for everyone.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Thank you, kimebear, for your prompt response. I appreciate both answers, as they clarify how to have an accurate perception. I'll send you a PM the next time I have a concern. I certainly don't mean to push for censorship, especially where royals are concerned, (where would I be if I couldn't express my sometimes unpopular opinions ?), but I find it distracting and offensive to be subjected to political propaganda on a Royal Forum, everytime certain posters post something. Are they posting to push their own agenda ?

As for the second answer, it is remarkably clear and well-written and once again, it's good to be reminded of all the research and editing that goes into making this forum so informative and interesting to read. There is indeed something for everyone, and areas you didn't know you were interested in until you saw something written about it. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

I now have another question. I could post quite a few pictures of the Princess Caroline 70-80's thread, but, in order to make sure they have not been posted before, everytime I want to do that, I need to go back to the very beginning of that very long thread to know if they would be new. So I get discouraged and rather than go through this task, I give up and don't post anything. Could you offer a solution to this problem ? Do you have a database of pictures posted that would automatically delete any picture already on the thread ? Should I create that database myself ? It's kind of hard to go through the trouble of searching for a photograph, scanning it, posting, and have someone say it was already posted and could we please check before posting? Is it a moderator's job to monitor whether the picture is new or not, or the poster's ?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Administrator

While it would be ideal if photographs were not repeat-posted, considering the sheer volume of images contained in the Forums it would be impossible to compile a picture database. For starters, the size of such a task would require a large team of full-time researchers and indexers poring through the over 11,000 threads in the Forums. Each day they would have to categorise the hundreds and hundreds of images posted across the Forums in links and in links to photo galleries; secondly it would be a ridiculously difficult task to index and describe multiple photographs of the same event showing the same subjects but from slightly different angles.

Some members will remember their favourite photographs or be more familiar with the content of a thread than others. The posting of links since November 2006 makes the checking task even more cumbersome as the images are not immediately apparent.

The solution is to "do your best". There is no 'penalty' for reposting photos that may appear earlier in a thread. I would hope that members understand the difficulty of checking for prior postings, (especially relevant to longish threads) and would therefore refrain from the discouraging and unhelpful advice of "it's already been posted!"

The next time someone greets a photographic contribution of yours with a "we've seen it before!" response, point them in the direction of this post.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

Thanks so much, Warren, your response was very helpful and encouraging.