The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Courtier

I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed with the new design. While it certainly looks more "royal" which probably was the intention, the white color makes my eyes hurt quickly. Also reduction of the width of the board made it less user friendly.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately, I have to agree with those who find the new design quite unappealing.
Reminds me of a German tourist trap restaurant's menu, though Rob 2008's description as 'Austrian coffeehouse trying to be prestigious' isn't bad either, along with his justified criticism of the pretentious and silly fake arms.
Don't know if those oh-so-regal lions holding up 'Reply' and 'Edit' etc. are meant to be a joke or unintentionally funny?
The 'Gold' looks Mustard to me, and I don't care for the upholstery pattern in Blue because it feels as outdated as the whole overall look.
What's the use of trying something new and fresh when it ends up looking so old and stale?

Old 02-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Courtier

I thought that I had ended up at a wrong site for a moment, but this looks very beautiful!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Gentry

Loving the new look!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The banner is an issue for me, I miss seeing the royals.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I like the new design, the colors and the logo make the forum look more professional, IMO! But I definitely miss the old clarity. It doesn't seem too easy to find all of the recent posts and I, for one, loved the "new posts" button which now seems only available when logged in to the forum... And I don't want to criticize too much, but too much white background doesn't make it very easy for my eyes, either.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I loved the old presentation so I guess it will take me a little time to get used to this !
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 PM

Looks good! I'd also love to see a burgundy and imperial purple version.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Nobility

Thank you for this great face lift! just came back after a few weeks and was happily surprised, I thought I was entering a new site! Good job!

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Administrator

A burgundy version was looked at in the early days of planning but was too dark.
Here's a snippet:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRF Burgundy.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	276282  
Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Nobility

The old look was more clearly laid out. I also miss the pic of royal next to the header.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

The adds in the top. How do I get rid of them?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

I have read the posts since I last posted. I still think the website design is contemporary and not stale. To me the old website design was that. I did not mention the pop up ads are gone and ads in the posts too. Thank you! I really hated that.

I feel the website is easier to navigate. You need to be signed in to post, so what is the trouble? Also to the right is a column of recent posts that shows what is trending at the current time on TRF. I love that.

The white background can be toned down with light blue. Light blue would blend with the other colors and from my experience in web design, easy on the eyes. The lion logo could be deleted and The Royal Forums type enlarged across the top banner. I do disagree with the the complain of using royals in the banner. In my graphic opinion they looked crowded together and messy. I thought you could every few weeks put a a royal family's photos up on the banner for something going on in their lives.

I now think the blue color is the best choice. Everyone likes blue. The gold does look like gold to me. Another poster mentioned it look like mustard. I disagree, but I would like to know what brand of mustard is that shade. I would like to start eating with it.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Aristocracy

i am starting to get use to the changes, however, i dont read this site near as much as i use to the colors at night bother my eyes.

this may just be me, but since the change i dont get the instant updates in email anymore.ni actually dont get updated at all.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Courtier

I prefer the blue background better than the white, and I also quite liked the photos of the royals in the banner, although I would limit how many. Otherwise, it's a change and everyone will get use to it eventually.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
The adds in the top. How do I get rid of them?
I don't think we can.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
The white background can be toned down with light blue. Light blue would blend with the other colors and from my experience in web design, easy on the eyes.
Yes this might be a good idea to help those who are finding it quite harsh on the eyes - just a subtle change could make quite a difference.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't think we can.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
It doesn't seem too easy to find all of the recent posts and I, for one, loved the "new posts" button which now seems only available when logged in to the forum... And I don't want to criticize too much, but too much white background doesn't make it very easy for my eyes, either.
I dont want to be negative about changing things, but have to agree with exactly these two issues plus, like Lumutqueen, I am missing the banner.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
That's what I'm like.