Quiz Competition - Prizes!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
In conjunction with the publishers, Alma Books, for the release of

"The Great Survivors -
How Monarchy Made It Into the Twenty-First Century
"

by Peter Conradi,

TRF is pleased to announce a quiz/competition.

TheGreatSurvivors.jpg

From the co-author of The King's Speech comes an uncompromising portrayal of Europe's royals. In this riveting and extensively researched account, Peter Conradi reveals the scandals, excesses, conflicts, and interests hidden behind the pomp of the ceremonial garb and the grandeur of official functions.

Taking the reader on a journey between past and present, into a world populated by great celebrities such as Wallis Simpson, Grace Kelly, and Princess Diana, it compares and contrasts the history of the House of Windsor with that of its Continental counterparts. It also looks at monarchy today, in terms of its political role, the way it is financed, its relationship with the media, the threat it faces from republicanism – and, of course, the often controversial and sometimes scandalous behaviour of its members.

At a time when Western society appears to be demanding more equality and democracy,
people's fascination with monarchies shows no signs of waning.

:crown5:

Peter Conradi is an author and a journalist who works for the The Sunday Times.
He is the author of Hitler's Piano Player and the co-author of The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy.

Product Details

Print Length: 400 pages
Publisher: Alma Books (June 2, 2012)
Language: English
ASIN: B0083V419Y
Formats: Paperback, Kindle edition
File Size: 839 KB

:star: :star: :star: The publishers have made available three copies of "The Great Survivors"
to be awarded to the winners of the quiz/competition.
:star: :star: :star:

= Details follow in the next post =

Last edited:
:crown5: :crown5: :crown5:

:belgiumflag: :daneflag: :liechtensteinflag: :luxflag: :monacoflag: :dutchflag: :norwayflag: :spainflag: :swedenflag: :britflag:

"The Great Survivors"
Alma Books & TRF Quiz/Competition

The quiz consists of a number of questions, some relatively easy and some not so easy,
relating to the surviving Royal Houses of Europe.

Answers should be sent by PM to an Administrator of your choice:

JessRulz
Marengo
Warren
Zonk

Entries are limited to one per member.

The competition will close on Friday 15 June 2012.

The Administrators will assess the entries and determine the winners. The decision will be final.

The winners will be contacted by an Admin at the email address on the member's record
and requested to provide their name and postal address.

These details will be passed to the publisher in London who will forward a copy of "The Great Survivors"
(autographed by the author) to each winner or to the person they nominate.

If members have any enquiries please PM one of the Administrators.

☼ ☼ enjoy and good luck! ☼ ☼

a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif

Last edited:
:crown5: :crown5: :crown5:

:belgiumflag: :daneflag: :liechtensteinflag: :luxflag: :monacoflag: :dutchflag: :norwayflag: :spainflag: :swedenflag: :britflag:

"The Great Survivors"

Alma Books & TRF Quiz/Competition

THE QUIZ

1. Which King has been in trouble recently because of his love of hunting?

Which King had a first wife who was in line to inherit a throne until she died in childbirth?

3. Who was his tragic wife?

Which King lived for a time in a ménage à trois with his wife and his physician?

In which European country have royal powers formally increased during the past decade?

6. How did this come about?

Which royal bride was faced with embarrassing allegations about her father's past membership of a repressive regime?

Which Crown Princess once worked as an estate agent (realtor)?

Which 20th century King was a keen stamp collector?

Which Crown Princess's father married a stripper almost half his age?

Which Queen was killed in a car crash in Switzerland?

12. Which monarch ceded 80% of his territory to a neighbouring State in return for recognition of the independance of his own?

Seeming to confirm the intensity and unconventional nature of their relationship, his photograph, together with a lock of his hair, were placed in his nephew's coffin.
Who was he and who was his nephew?

14. Out walking one day with his family, this royal was stopped by a local man wanting to know who were the members of his party. The royal replied, "I am your King. This is my son, the King of Greece, and this is my son-in-law, the Tsar of Russia, and my other son-in-law, the Prince of Wales."
Who was this royal, and what was the local man's response?

15. Which royal wrote a book containing 12 fairytales, the most famous tale being located in India?

16. Which royally-connected Count was an early casualty of the conflict in the Middle East?

17. Which Prince was a close friend of Charles Dodgson, aka Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland?

18. Which King succeeded to the throne the moment he was born?

19. Which House was deprived of one throne by annexation but gained another through a century-old family pact?

20. Who claimed never to marry a king or a widower, but did both?

21. Which royal was described by King George VI as 'the only man who enjoyed the war'?

Which royal fainted on her wedding day and had to forego her honeymoon in the Mediteranian for one at a castle in her husband's country?

23. Which King was said to have "a heart of gold, for it is harder then stone" when his children were forced into taking court action against him to ensure they received their share of their late mother's estate?

24. Until a way out was devised, which Duke, a morganaut of a German Royal House, was the legitimate (and for a time, the only) successor to this throne?

25 What attributes contributed to the survival of successful reigning families into the 21st century?

a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif

The Quiz
Questions and Answers

1. Which King has been in trouble recently because of his love of hunting?
Juan Carlos of Spain

Which King had a first wife who was in line to inherit a throne until she died in childbirth?
Leopold I, King of the Belgians

3. Who was his tragic wife?
Princess Charlotte of Wales, daughter of the Prince Regent, later George IV.

Which King lived for a time in a ménage à trois with his wife and his physician?
the love triangle consisted of King Christian VII of Denmark, his wife, Caroline Mathilda (sister of George III) and his doctor, Count Johann Friedrich Struensee.

In which European country have royal powers formally increased during the past decade?
Liechtenstein

6. How did this come about?
A new constitution acceptable to the Princely House was drawn up which, amongst other things, defined and increased the powers of the Reigning Prince. A plebiscite in 2003 gave the Princely House a two-thirds majority.

Which royal bride was faced with embarrassing allegations about her father's past membership of a repressive regime?
Crown Princess Maxima of The Netherlands

8. Which Crown Princess once worked as an estate agent (realtor)?
Mary of Denmark

9. Which 20th century King was a keen stamp collector?
King George V of Britain

Which Crown Princess's father married a stripper almost half his age?
Mette Marit of Norway

Which Queen was killed in a car crash in Switzerland?
Astrid of Belgium in a car driven by her husband King Leopold III.

12. Which monarch ceded 80% of his territory to a neighbouring State in return for recognition of the independance of his own?
Charles III of Monaco in 1861

Seeming to confirm the intensity and unconventional nature of their relationship, his photograph, together with a lock of his hair, were placed in his nephew's coffin.
Who was he and who was his nephew?
Prince Valdemar of Denmark, his nephew was Prince George of Greece

14. Out walking one day with his family, this royal was stopped by a local man wanting to know who were the members of his party. The royal replied, "I am your King. This is my son, the King of Greece, and this is my son-in-law, the Tsar of Russia, and my other son-in-law, the Prince of Wales."
Who was this royal, and what was the local man's response?
King Christian IX of Denmark; "And I am Jesus Christ."

15. Which royal wrote a book containing 12 fairytales, the most famous tale being located in India?
Queen Fabiola

16. Which royally-connected Count was an early casualty of the conflict in the Middle East?
Count Folke Bernadotte, son of the former Prince Oscar of Sweden, UN Peace Envoy; assassinated by Israeli terrorists in Jerusalem in 1948.

17. Which Prince was a close friend of Charles Dodgson, aka Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland?
Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, youngest son of Queen Victoria.

18. Which King succeeded to the throne the moment he was born?
Alfonso XIII of Spain, born posthumously in 1886.

19. Which House was deprived of one throne by annexation but gained another through a century-old family pact?
The House of Nassau (-Weilburg); lost the Duchy of Nassau to Prussia in 1866, gained the Grand Ducal throne of Luxembourg in 1890 through the Nassau Family Pact of 1783.

20. Who claimed never to marry a king or a widower, but did both?
Queen Louise of Sweden, née Princess of Battenberg/ Lady Louise Mountbatten.

21. Which royal was described by King George VI as 'the only man who enjoyed the war'?
Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands.

22. Which royal fainted on her wedding day and had to forego her honeymoon in the Mediteranian for one at a castle in her husband's country?
Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, née Princess of Belgium.

23. Which King was said to have "a heart of gold, for it is harder then stone" when his children were forced into taking court action against him to ensure they received their share of their late mother's estate?
King Leopold II of the Belgians.

24. Until a way out was devised, which Duke, a morganaut of a German Royal House, was the legitimate (and for a time, the only) successor to this throne?
Wilhelm 2nd Duke of Urach, only child of Princess Florestine of Monaco and her husband the 1st Duke (his father, a son of the reigning Duke of Württemberg, had married morganatically). Prince Louis II of Monaco legitimised his daughter by his mistress in order to circumvent a Urach succession.

25 What attributes contributed to the survival of successful reigning families into the 21st century?
open question

a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif

a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif

Congratulations to Artemisia,
the winner of "The Great Survivors" quiz competition

a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif
a%20crown.gif

Thank you! :)
It was a really interesting quiz but I had no idea what the answer to question 22 was: poor Josephine Charlotte.

I'd love more of these quizzes! Prizes or not. :)

Me too!
This quiz was really fun, not to mention, educational.

Yes, I'd love some more quizzes. Next time I will remember to enter...

Back
Top Bottom