The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Community Forums > Forum Announcements and Admin

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Picture posting questions, issues and tutorials

This thread gives some information about posting photos in threads at TRF and about photo-hosting sites where images may be stored.

Please note that photos may be posted directly in the threads only if you have obtained written permission from the copyright owner (the photographer or agency) or if you took the photo yourself (in which case you are the copyright owner). If you have obtained permission to post the photo, you should say so in the post, with a statement such as "Posted with permission from {name of source}". If you took the photo yourself, you should say so in the post.

Since photo agencies never give permission for watermarked photos to be posted anywhere, all watermarked photos posted directly into the threads will be deleted without notice.

If you don't have permission to post a photo (and this will almost always be the case since permissions are not easy to obtain), you can copy the URL of its original location on the internet into your post. Members here will then be able to refer to and discuss these images just as before. If you wish to store photos at a photo-hosting site, you can copy the URL of the photo in your album at that site and paste it into the thread. Please note that there may be prohibitions on storing copyrighted photos at photo-hosting sites, so you will need to check the terms of service of the sites. Anna_R has written a tutorial on photo hosting at ImageShack, one of the most popular hosting sites, and the tutorial is included in this thread.

The only pictures that can be posted without source (and permission) are pictures that are in the public domain. Photos taken before the First World War are almost certainly in the public domain, as are photos on the very few websites which clearly identify their content as not being copyrighted.

For more information, please read the Forum Rules and FAQs

Old 06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Here you have a small tutorial for registration and posting pictures at Image Shack.

1. Open the site: http://www.imageshack.us

2. Click on Register

3. Fill the required fields and wait for the confirmation e-mail.
Important: Don't delete the confirmation e-mail as the link within it will be necessary everytime you want to login.

4. When you click the activation link, this screen will appear (minus the pictures, since you won't have any so far). On the top right, you'll see the Log Out option. Click in upload images.

5. This screen will appear and you'll have to upload one image at a time, you'll see that the word Register has been replaced by My Images. It's in there that all of your images will be stored.

6. Once the upload is finished, the screen below will appear. You'll then copy the content of the text box "thumbnails for forums". The link is ready, so you won't have to do much but organize the pictures into the post.

The feature "preview post" helps a lot in here because you'll see the thumbnails and not the links and can organize them as you please.

To upload another image, just click at the link on the top left where it says: "Upload another image". If you ever need to copy the links of the thumbnails again, just go to your image panel and they all will be there.

Important: Sometimes the "Thumbnails for forums" don't appear because the picture is small. If this occurs, copy the link from the "Hotlink for forums" box

Important: If you log out at the end of the session, please make sure to login prior to upload your images otherwise you'll not be able to track them.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope this helps you. Please, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.:)
Old 06-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
I hope this helps you. Please, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.:)
Yes, I´ve one :) Well, actually it´s not so important...but I simply wonder. That with ImageShack is so easy...one hasn´t to create dozens of email-adresses to create dozens of accounts (which you will need, when you want to post in forums with no or a limited function for attachments)...one can upload as many pics as one wants and one gets presented them in a very handy format with informations about the pics. And now the question is: what´s the point for the creators of ImageShack?? How do they earn money with it?? In their FAQ they say, that the pics will last forever...but that´s for me exactly the point/question. As usual with things on the web, it spread within a few weeks. Now almost all here are using ImageShack (and one can see that also in other forums) so isn´t this getting extremely expensive when millions of users use their system? I just ask, because I´ve the suspicion, that they just try to lure members, and when they can´t live without ImageShack anymore, they start to charge fees or spam one with a lot of ads.

When you now tell me, that it´s really for forever for free and so easy to handle, then my questions will seem like the ones on home shopping channels :p
Old 06-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this tutorial together. I found it very helpful and really appreciate it.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

My links for imageshack seem to be very large compared to others...can some one help me out? =[ i don't want my pics to take up so much space...and can photobucket link to pictures using those little images?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
My links for imageshack seem to be very large compared to others...can some one help me out? =[ i don't want my pics to take up so much space...and can photobucket link to pictures using those little images?
Normally, the pictures which are smaller or have been cropped don't show the "thumbnails for forums" text box.

If this is the case, I guess that there's nothing to be done.

Always pay attention to see if the 'thumbnails for forums' is appearing.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

thanks for the help Anna =] i found out that is was because my pictures are too small to be shown as thumbnails. ^___^
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Royal Highness

Is there a limit to how many pictures you can upload for free?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Royal Highness

This may seem silly, but I can't see any of the pictures!

Old 10-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Majesty

I think it's because they have been posted via ImageShack. There is a thread about that problem, I can't see them either. It would be great if the members of this forum would use another Hosting site like TinyPic:

http://www.tinypic.com./
Old 10-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhrc
I think it's because they have been posted via ImageShack. There is a thread about that problem, I can't see them either. It would be great if the members of this forum would use another Hosting site like TinyPic:

http://www.tinypic.com./
The latest pictures have been posted via Photobucket, so it isn't a case of imageshack postings.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
This may seem silly, but I can't see any of the pictures!
In just this thread, or generally?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Majesty

I can only see the pics StoneCold posted. The pics from Little Star and tiff tiff tiff 2000 I can't see. Here is the thread where we have discussed that problem:

Problem with Image Shack pics
Old 10-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhrc
I can only see the pics StoneCold posted. The pics from Little Star and tiff tiff tiff 2000 I can't see.
[/url]
Quite strange, because as far as I can see, both StoneCold and tiff tiff tiff 2000, used the same hosting service: Photobucket. It makes little sense that you can see one, but not the other.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

The only difference between the postings by Stonecold and Little Star and Tiff tiff tiff 2000, is latter posted the pics as thumbnails, whereas Stonecold posted the bigger picture.

Like Elsa suggested elsewhere, people posting thumbnails via other photo hosting websites might want to post the links as well, underneath the thumbnails. If that is too much work, just post the links. I am sure they'll work.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Majesty

I really have no clue, it's really kind of absurd, but that's what I only see. It's really some kind of annoying not to be able to see all the pics that have been posted here. So far I never had problems with Photobucket, I also used it. That is all so weird. So right know I'm telling everyone to use TinyPic, because it's free you don't have to register and as far as I know everyone on this forum is able to see those pics.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The above posts have been split from the thread: Official Photographs as they are about a technical problem in connection with viewing photographs. If anyone have solutions, I'm sure it would be much appreciated.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201
The only difference between the postings by Stonecold and Little Star and Tiff tiff tiff 2000, is latter posted the pics as thumbnails, whereas Stonecold posted the bigger picture.

Like Elsa suggested elsewhere, people posting thumbnails via other photo hosting websites might want to post the links as well, underneath the thumbnails. If that is too much work, just post the links. I am sure they'll work.
That's really a great Idea, because I have noticed that the link also works for me...
Old 10-26-2005, 05:26 AM
Nobility

Hi

I would please like to know with ImageShack must I save the image to my computer first and then upload it on ImageShack?

I tried to copy a image from a website but it wouldn't load as when I clicked on browse it opened My Pictures on my computer. I am still a bit technically challenged so any help will be appreciated.

Also how do I make sure I am not infringing copyright?

Thanks

Tags
advice ; trf