Petty Annoyance

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexisrjt

City
Great Bend
Country
United States
Okay, I was informed of the following:
Hello alexisrjt it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation [link omitted] with another member in any one of our forums?
so I'm doing as I was told.

I understand this "sponsored" linking is probably a way to draw money to the site owners, but it's really quite irritating. Does there exist in the User CP an option to turn off the "sponsored results"?

(There. Now I've followed instructions and posted a question. I almost feel better. ;) Thanks.)

Well, I'm glad you feel better.:p

As far as I know, there's nothing in the User CP that would allow you to turn off the prompting to post. The moderation team will have a word with the site owner about it and see if anything can be done since it obviously isn't quite having the desired effect!

Thanks, Elspeth. I appreciate the response. :D

I got that message too!
I posted because I felt that if I didn't, I would be "deactivated".
No other forum does that, it certainly doesn't have the most "welcoming" feel to it.

Hi Sammy,

Well, from your post count, it seems as though you're also posting because you want to, which is nice.

I've asked Andy to look into possibly removing this message. I don't know how deeply embedded in the forum software it is, but the feedback has been sent, so stay tuned.

Sammy said:
I got that message too!
I posted because I felt that if I didn't, I would be "deactivated".
No other forum does that, it certainly doesn't have the most "welcoming" feel to it.

The Royal Forums is not the only one with this message, I know from first hand experience 'Bored of Studies' does also, I would recommend ignoring:D , either that or posting a useless massage;)

justi said:
The Royal Forums is not the only one with this message... I would recommend ignoring, either that or posting a useless message ;)
Not a useless message! Make it an interesting one. The software doesn't know the difference, but the members do! :)

Warren said:
Not a useless message! Make it an interesting one. The software doesn't know the difference, but the members do! :)

Sometimes some of the most interesting messages are the useless ones though. Actually on second thoughts perhaps it is the useless ones are the most entertaining :confused: :)

I would like to add a petty annoyance. Even though I ask the site to remember me, sometimes if I'm writing a long post or PM, it asks me to login again. Now I may lose the post or the PM. I wish it would stop doing this.

Dennis, is this something new? Once you ask it to remember you, it shouldn't matter what you're doing, you should stay logged in until you manually log out.

Elspeth said:
Dennis, is this something new? Once you ask it to remember you, it shouldn't matter what you're doing, you should stay logged in until you manually log out.

No, it's been this way for several months now.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Dennis, does it also do this to you if you spend a long time reading a page, or is it just when you're writing PMs?

Elspeth said:
Is anyone else having this problem?

Dennis, does it also do this to you if you spend a long time reading a page, or is it just when you're writing PMs?

Well, generally, it's when I'm writing PMs.

alexisrjt said:
Okay, I was informed of the following: so I'm doing as I was told.

I understand this "sponsored" linking is probably a way to draw money to the site owners, but it's really quite irritating. Does there exist in the User CP an option to turn off the "sponsored results"?

(There. Now I've followed instructions and posted a question. I almost feel better. ;) Thanks.)

umm i get this message tooo....but i find it a bit irritating....cuz I feel like the forums want to kick me out or soemthing :confused:

nbaker said:
well will they kick you out?
NO. It is a software message we are trying to have removed.
It is designed to encourage members to actively participate in the Forums, but like many computer flash messages, it can be irritating.

The ads are used to cover the cost to host the community. As there are very few products centered around royals, the Google ads make very little revenue. The intelliTXT ads are to suppliment that so that we stay online.

You can click on the little question mark in the intelliTXT ads and then look towards the bottom of the page to disable them.

[...] you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, [...]
Talk about learning something new each day. I didn't know that 12 days = several weeks. :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

But something different and since it IS an annoyance I'd say it fits here. How come I can't paste here a n y t h i n g?? I can copy some text or some URL, but whenever I want to put that into a post it's just not possible. And TRF are the only MB where I have this problem. :confused:

You should be able to paste things into the reply box. I can't copy anything in the reply box (which is a nuisance), but I can paste stuff from elsewhere into it.

i've a little annoyance today, which i think is server-related. The Cannot find server and Database Error message keeps popping up for me. it happens when i open a thread and after i tried to first post here. i have to click on Refresh a couple of times before the page shows up properly (and got logged out in the process). does anybody else have the same problem? :(

i hope the moderators/administrators can correct this problem. thanks! ;) :D

Yes, I think a lot of us are having the problem. It's probably a result of the server move followed by the move back. I hope that when Andy gets the server sorted out, these problems will go away. Realistically, we may be stuck with this problem until then.

i thought about that too, but i was thinking that things might have been sorted out already when we moved back to the old server. well, it's obvious we still have glitches. :D

thanks very much Elspeth! ;)

Elspeth said:
You should be able to paste things into the reply box. I can't copy anything in the reply box (which is a nuisance), but I can paste stuff from elsewhere into it.
And with "from elsewhere" you mean a second quote for example, don't you? Because then: nope. Not possible. Still not. :( And TRF are the only MB where I have this problem. I do not have the faintest idea why it's here, but nowhere else. :confused: :(

Andy and Moderators are doing a GREAT job! Thanks!!
My only problem is that I read slower than people post!
If I am checking out the "new posts" and there are 4 pages of messages, and I am only on page 1, 2, or 3 and someone posts a new message, I get that nasty message "Sorry, No matches...". So I lose out reading any new messages that have been posted since I last read posts. Until someone else posts to that thread. Of course sometimes I run across the new message while doing the forum search.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Mom N Me said:
Andy and Moderators are doing a GREAT job! Thanks!!
My only problem is that I read slower than people post!
If I am checking out the "new posts" and there are 4 pages of messages, and I am only on page 1, 2, or 3 and someone posts a new message, I get that nasty message "Sorry, No matches...". So I lose out reading any new messages that have been posted since I last read posts. Until someone else posts to that thread. Of course sometimes I run across the new message while doing the forum search.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Have you tried just clicking on New Posts again after you get that message? That always re-shows the new threads since I last clicked on it, including the ones I had not read previously and ones posted while I was reading another thread.

just ignore it that's what I do, I don't post anything cause I prefer looking at pictures and find reading posts boring...no offence to anyone :eek:

I love pictures and this is a good site for them!

.. said:
Hello alexisrjt it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation [link omitted] with another member in any one of our forums?
To Moderator
Sometime I have to go for several weeks or even months due to my job or holiday (lucky me mostly I still able to post a few thing), but once time I was not abble to use internet at all for two months because it is not available in the place I had to stayed for while (I got pm from moderator just to give my pasword incase I lost it and not able to sign up:) ). What should I do to avoid my membership being annule if in the future I will face the same situation (have to stay in no internet zone).

galuhcandrakirana said:
To Moderator
Sometime I have to go for several weeks or even months due to my job or holiday (lucky me mostly I still able to post a few thing), but once time I was not abble to use internet at all for two months because it is not available in the place I had to stayed for while (I got pm from moderator just to give my pasword incase I lost it and not able to sign up :) ). What should I do to avoid my membership being annule if in the future I will face the same situation (have to stay in no internet zone).
galuhcandrakirana, the only memberships "annulled" are those that have been inactive for at least a year or two. You have nothing to worry about. :)

Warren said:
galuhcandrakirana, the only memberships "annulled" are those that have been inactive for at least a year or two. You have nothing to worry about. :)
Thanks warren..... glad to know about it.

I was looking for a thread where to post this question about getting log off so I guess this one is the closest one:
If I log in and I am reading for a while, the moment I want to refresh the screen or just reply I notice I've been logged off. Sometimes it happens as I am typing a post or if the Royal Forums window is open while I open another window to look up other news.
It's been like that for a few months so I got used to constantly log in as soon as I notice I've been logged out. Maybe one of our techs has an answer on how to remain logged in?

I use Explorer and Norton's Internet protection, but I checked the settings and could not find anything that relates to being logged off the forum automatically. Anyone has the same problem?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom