The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 19,965
Is there something we can do about the Sussex Threads?

Hello all,

So I've been contemplating posting this for a while. I want to know if there's something posters can do, or if we can look at doing something as a forum to better support the moderators with the Sussex threads?

They're being closed, for very good reasons, on an almost daily basis and it's frustrating for all involved especially the moderators who must be sick to death of issuing the same information only to be ignored. It's got to the point, that I don't bother to venture into that forum.

Could we look at a set of rules being issued for that forum? Then perhaps repercussions when the rules aren't followed. I know it was be out of the ordinary, but this is the only sub section in the TRF that I have seen attract this much closure. Perhaps a ban on certain provocative news articles being published? Whilst I appreciate a level of freedom of speech, every thread in that section always end up back at the same media circus ending and it's because of usually information posted in articles that come from sources. Or, to an extreme and quite consuming, a post approval in certain threads? I don't know if that's even possible.

I genuinely just want to attempt to help both the moderators, and our users because nobody wants to have the forums shut.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #2  
Old 07-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Yashal's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Catania, Italy
Posts: 149
I don't really enter those threads as much as many others not only because I don't really care for the Sussex but mostly because I find both their die hard supporters and their die hard non-suppoerters to be pretty toxic. So yeah, the British forum moderators get all my sympathy.

I've always wondered why people post articles they deem to be dumb, false or pure trash. Just don't post them and don't spread them. Also, don't comment if somebody else link them. I know it wouldn't solve the toxic situation but I think it would be a step in the right direction.
__________________

  #3  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Ista's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Hello all,

So I've been contemplating posting this for a while. I want to know if there's something posters can do, or if we can look at doing something as a forum to better support the moderators with the Sussex threads?

They're being closed, for very good reasons, on an almost daily basis and it's frustrating for all involved especially the moderators who must be sick to death of issuing the same information only to be ignored. It's got to the point, that I don't bother to venture into that forum.

Could we look at a set of rules being issued for that forum? Then perhaps repercussions when the rules aren't followed. I know it was be out of the ordinary, but this is the only sub section in the TRF that I have seen attract this much closure. Perhaps a ban on certain provocative news articles being published? Whilst I appreciate a level of freedom of speech, every thread in that section always end up back at the same media circus ending and it's because of usually information posted in articles that come from sources. Or, to an extreme and quite consuming, a post approval in certain threads? I don't know if that's even possible.

I genuinely just want to attempt to help both the moderators, and our users because nobody wants to have the forums shut.
It is becoming increasingly bizarre on any thread that has any information about the Sussexes, and I really have no idea at all how to rein that in. There seem to be certain patterns that are predictable, however. Sometimes, as you noted, Lumutqueen, someone will post a link to a blog or tabloid article, which will start a heated exchange, but it has reached the point that even a neutral or mildly supportive comment is enough ignite the negativity. It would be a huge shame to ban any commentary at all on the Sussexes, but I'm beginning to think that may be the only way to pull the plug on this vicious cycle. I made what I thought was a completely neutral comment on another thread today, and the reaction was as though I had said something awful. I'm at a loss for how to normalize any discussion about Harry and Meghan.
  #4  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,371
Its sad to say but I think for now, the best option is to keep the threads close until, who knows when, the emotion people seem to have dies down. I don't think its fair on the poor mods to have to put up with people bickering and arguing over the most innocuous of comments. Sadly, at the moment at least, it seems for some people impossible to have a reasonable conversation involving the Sussex's which is so sad given how often these Forums in the past have hosted people with differing opinions and views yet who can express them politely and fairly.
  #5  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Rena M.'s Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kraków, Poland
Posts: 90
None of us know Duchess of Sussex personally, so in essence everybody is projecting their own stuff on her. If you spot it, you got it.
__________________
"Criticism is the only reliable form of autobiography" - Oscar Wilde
  #6  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Ista's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
None of us know Duchess of Sussex personally, so in essence everybody is projecting their own stuff on her. If you spot it, you got it.
This may be an element, but after thinking about it a little, I think another contributing factor may be that Meghan in particular seems to have attracted a large number of posters who perhaps aren't as interested in royalty and royals in general as they are in being fans of Meghan. When I look back over a lot of the threads, even before they closed, it's obvious that a lot of times posters are talking at complete cross purposes, either unintentionally or deliberately not even attempting to see the other person's point, and things just go downhill from there. I don't know how the moderators can remedy that. They've been doing an excellent job, but no matter how many threads have been closed down, within a very short period of time (minutes in some cases)someone will plant a metaphorical grenade in any remaining open thread, and there you go.
  #7  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
This may be an element, but after thinking about it a little, I think another contributing factor may be that Meghan in particular seems to have attracted a large number of posters who perhaps aren't as interested in royalty and royals in general as they are in being fans of Meghan.
For the first time in several months I'm going to comment because this exact issue is one of the two reasons I stopped posting/commenting/interacting here at all. This used to be a very enjoyable place to be and even when posters didn't always agree, there was typically a mutual respect and an "agree to disagree" mentality. Now, however, it has literally become a "Meghan Fan Club" atmosphere and anyone who doesn't toe the line is instantly and brutally slapped down. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a massive fan of the Sussexes just as others aren't major fans of other families. However, I do try hard to live by the "credit where it's due" philosophy and though I might be critical of some things they do or wear, I try to also be as positive as possible when I like something they did or wore. That said, posters shouldn't feel as though they are unable to post their opinions if they are in any way critical or not sugary sweet and glowingly positive.

It's become very apparent that unless your comment is over the top positive and in the camp of the Sussexes can do no wrong, a few posters who are clearly Sussex superfans will be quick to tell you why you're wrong, why you should feel differently, that you clearly have some ridiculous bias against Meghan, that you just might possibly be a racist, etc. and it's really gotten out of hand. Having an opinion that is less than glowingly positive at all times does not make you any of those things. Meghan is no more or less important or wonderful than anyone else and criticism and reservations about her and/or Harry are just as valid and/or warranted as they are about any royal.

The fact that you can almost count down the seconds until a response is posted to rap you on the knuckles or slap you down is really out of control and ridiculous and I suspect it's driven away many more posters than just myself. It's not fun to be here anymore. It's lost that sense of community or a common interest. And to be honest, I have no idea how you fix it other than to either ban the posters who are clearly just here to defend the Sussexes at all costs and drive away posters with other opinions or to keep those threads closed to prevent all comments good or bad or to institute a system of comment approval before they're actually posted which seems like a massive undertaking. Just my two cents, of course, but this is the first thread in a long time that feels like it might be prudent to weigh in.
  #8  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Rena M.'s Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kraków, Poland
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
(...)Meghan in particular seems to have attracted a large number of posters who perhaps aren't as interested in royalty(...)
Duchess of Sussex is royalty.
I think people who don't like Meghan could take holidays from commenting on a disliked royal... and her fans.
__________________
"Criticism is the only reliable form of autobiography" - Oscar Wilde
  #9  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Ista's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
Duchess of Sussex is royalty.
I think people who don't like Meghan could take holidays from commenting on a disliked royal... and her fans.
And there we go. So, so disappointing.
  #10  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
How do I unsubscribe from this forum? It's so toxic with everyone pointing fingers instead of looking at how THEY themselves have contributed to the problem.
  #11  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 19,965
I really really DON’T want this thread to be about what’s wrong with the Sussex threads. I want to know what can be done to stop the nonsense that goes on in them.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #12  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I really really DON’T want this thread to be about what’s wrong with the Sussex threads. I want to know what can be done to stop the nonsense that goes on in them.
I'm going to bite. Here's one idea:

*How about we not post every silly article we across on from the web.

I'm not saying to post only positive things, but some of the things people post are just downright nasty and are meant to cause a stir in the thread. If you know the article is probably nonsense and meant to cause a stir, why then post it and put in a caveat. My keen memory of last year when a few posters did this always and it was meant as a way to disrupt the Sussex threads, and lo and behold, every time these posters would post something, within the hour, the thread was closed. I have seen two of these said posters still doing the same thing as of this month, and one of them has been MIA for a for a few months.

BTW...I don't see this with any other royal threads (at least the ones that I follow) where there are rumours abound in different papers and on the web and people posting about them, because we already know is probably made up nonsense.
  #13  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Ista's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I really really DON’T want this thread to be about what’s wrong with the Sussex threads. I want to know what can be done to stop the nonsense that goes on in them.
I've already posted that I have no idea, but I think tommy100 may have the only workable idea for the short term, which would be a real shame.
  #14  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
I'm going to bite. Here's one idea:

*How about we not post every silly article we across on from the web.

I'm not saying to post only positive things, but some of the things people post are just downright nasty and are meant to cause a stir in the thread. If you know the article is probably nonsense and meant to cause a stir, why then post it and put in a caveat. My keen memory of last year when a few posters did this always and it was meant as a way to disrupt the Sussex threads, and lo and behold, every time these posters would post something, within the hour, the thread was closed. I have seen two of these said posters still doing the same thing as of this month, and one of them has been MIA for a for a few months.

BTW...I don't see this with any other royal threads (at least the ones that I follow) where there are rumours abound in different papers and on the web and people posting about them, because we already know is probably made up nonsense.
Pretty much this.

And honestly, every royal on here have their own fan base on here (yes, I'm aware it's not a fan site, but nevertheless fans come here). So what if people are only interested in Meghan? That's irrelevant to if they can participate. If they have the wrong facts, I don't think it's wrong to point it out, but there is no need to be dismissive towards people who likes Meghan. It seems far more acceptable to complain about "fans" than to call someone a hater. As much as some only likes Meghan, there are those that hate everything she does.

In terms of fixing this, I don't know even saying certain things are off limit is going to work. Unless there is a solution to find a balanced approach. It seems lately we've gotten to the point where people can't say what they truly want because it's against forums rules, and then just come in with any negative article about Meghan that is nasty and without basis because they don't like her. And rest of us can't question the source or intention of the person who wrote it. If you want to limit one side of that conversation, then there should be limits on both. For example, if you don't want people to talk about Piers Morgan when he gives his personal opinion, then maybe don't allow Piers Morgan articles to be posted at all. Or when RRs tweet their own personal opinions. I don't know how you can expect people not to talk about the writer when he makes himself such a personal and integrated part of what he writes. It's called considering the source.
  #15  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Pretty much this.
Jacqui, I'm serious. How do I get out of here? I messaged a mod and no one has responded. I'm sick of the hypocrisy here. No one says a word when a well know fan and poster of the Princess Victoria of Sweden puts in her daily jibe at Princess Sofia (or when a few posters defend Sofia), but it's just a Sussex problem.

I may have only signed onto the forums last year because I wanted to interact with others during the wedding, but I have been following this forum for years, and can even remember the snide comments that were made by both moderators and posters alike when someone dared to ask a question about Angela von zu Liechtenstein.
  #16  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,438
What’s needed is for people to respect others peoples opinions and agree that Meghan is neither a married up schemer who is corrupting innocent Prince Harry nor is she a faultless Victim who never ever sets a foot wrong and any perceived mistake is not her fault but simply the media with its a diabolical plan to take down or everyone is racists1!1 against her

And that is as likely as me wing invited to a private island to party the night by a handsome Prince
  #17  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 252
I put the people who I know are just posting to get a rise out of Meghan’s fans on ignore. I don’t see them so I don’t feel the need to comment on their posts. I know nothing they are posting will be fair or supportive of Meghan, so why waste the mental energy giving them any thought. It makes viewing the Sussex threads a better experience for me.
  #18  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Jacqui, I'm serious. How do I get out of here? I messaged a mod and no one has responded. I'm sick of the hypocrisy here. No one says a word when a well know fan and poster of the Princess Victoria of Sweden puts in her daily jibe at Princess Sofia (or when a few posters defend Sofia), but it's just a Sussex problem.

I may have only signed onto the forums last year because I wanted to interact with others during the wedding, but I have been following this forum for years, and can even remember the snide comments that were made by both moderators and posters alike when someone dared to ask a question about Angela von zu Liechtenstein.
In a way, I understand that the sheer volume of posts in Sussex threads make them more difficult to moderate. One snide remark about a royal might not cause a fight if there is only few people there, but with the amount of visitors the Sussex forum gets, it's bound to get out of hand. But at the same time, what's allowed and not allowed should be more balanced. And I understand it is not easy to do that.

The only way to stop this is basically only allow pictures and articles about official engagements and announcements to be posted for now until things die down a bit. So sort of like a newsfeed to keep updated on what is going on with the Sussexes and what they are doing.
  #19  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
For the first time in several months I'm going to comment because this exact issue is one of the two reasons I stopped posting/commenting/interacting here at all. This used to be a very enjoyable place to be and even when posters didn't always agree, there was typically a mutual respect and an "agree to disagree" mentality. Now, however, it has literally become a "Meghan Fan Club" atmosphere and anyone who doesn't toe the line is instantly and brutally slapped down. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a massive fan of the Sussexes just as others aren't major fans of other families. However, I do try hard to live by the "credit where it's due" philosophy and though I might be critical of some things they do or wear, I try to also be as positive as possible when I like something they did or wore. That said, posters shouldn't feel as though they are unable to post their opinions if they are in any way critical or not sugary sweet and glowingly positive.

It's become very apparent that unless your comment is over the top positive and in the camp of the Sussexes can do no wrong, a few posters who are clearly Sussex superfans will be quick to tell you why you're wrong, why you should feel differently, that you clearly have some ridiculous bias against Meghan, that you just might possibly be a racist, etc. and it's really gotten out of hand. Having an opinion that is less than glowingly positive at all times does not make you any of those things. Meghan is no more or less important or wonderful than anyone else and criticism and reservations about her and/or Harry are just as valid and/or warranted as they are about any royal.

The fact that you can almost count down the seconds until a response is posted to rap you on the knuckles or slap you down is really out of control and ridiculous and I suspect it's driven away many more posters than just myself. It's not fun to be here anymore. It's lost that sense of community or a common interest. And to be honest, I have no idea how you fix it other than to either ban the posters who are clearly just here to defend the Sussexes at all costs and drive away posters with other opinions or to keep those threads closed to prevent all comments good or bad or to institute a system of comment approval before they're actually posted which seems like a massive undertaking. Just my two cents, of course, but this is the first thread in a long time that feels like it might be prudent to weigh in.
Well-said!
I too have sometimes been hesitant to post anything on Sussex forums for the reasons you mentioned.

It's at the point where I can almost wager with myself how soon it will be before the thread is closed.
I also know that other royal websites are experiencing similar problems.
  #20  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
I put the people who I know are just posting to get a rise out of Meghan’s fans on ignore. I don’t see them so I don’t feel the need to comment on their posts. I know nothing they are posting will be fair or supportive of Meghan, so why waste the mental energy giving them any thought. It makes viewing the Sussex threads a better experience for me.
I don’t necessarily disagree with this approach but I really do have a completely honest question about it. While I think it’s great that the threads are a better experience for you using this method, why is it unacceptable to have posts that don’t contain only positives and support for Meghan? While she’s certainly not the devil incarnate that some people would make her out to be she’s also not perfect because she’s human and just like any other royal should be subject to both positive/supportive comments and negative/nonsupportive comments. I’m genuinely curious why some posters feel that she shouldn’t ever be subject to anything other than glowing positivity?
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There's something about Japan that I love. PaulG Imperial Family of Japan 15 01-08-2012 05:11 PM
"There is Something about Crown Princess Mary" by Emma Tom (2005) Ethel Royal Library 49 12-26-2006 05:57 AM




Popular Tags
alqasimi archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig birthday celebration bracelets british royal family charles of wales christian ix countess of wessex crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher denmark discussão duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of cambridge duke of edinburgh duke of sussex duke of york family search felipe vi french royalty germany hamdan bin mohammed head of the house her children introduction jack brooksbank jerusalem juan carlos king letter meghan markle modernization mohammed vi monaco christening monarchism nelson mandela bay official visit patron prince harry prince laurent prince of wales prince peter princess princess beatrice princess benedikte princess claire princesses princess royal prince william public opinion queen elisabeth royal royal tour rumania sarah ferguson siblings spain state visit sweden trump valois viscount severn windy city wivies



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises