The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Community Forums > Forum Announcements and Admin

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Commoner

Exclamation Intrusive Pop-ups when entering the RF

I wish to bring to the attention of RF webmaster an issue that I am facing when entering AND navigating the RF.
Several pop-up windows from a software house website appear telling me that they identified a virus in my pc, or that I need immediate scanning, or both. Then more pop-ups appear on top of the other proposing the download of their software for pc scanning, and when I click "no", one more pop-up for dowloading appears offering me just the "ok" option. The web page of this software house then fully replaces the RF one, and when I try to close the last pop up the whole process starts again, forcing me to disconnect, close everything, and try again to connect to RF.
This unexpectedly happens even when I am reading posts and trying to post a reply.
I find this advertising system very intrusive, malicious, and discouraging. I am sure that you were not aware of this and that's why I am informing you in the hope that you will manage to fix this.
I connect from Italy and the intrusive pop ups are in Italian language, while the software house seems an international one with an Italian language page.

Please help! This is the link of the intruder: it.systemdoctor.com

I also wish to say that RF is the only site that I navigate regularly where pop-ups are so persistent.

Thank you for your support.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have been getting theese lately as well, from error safe or something like that. Very persistent and makes surfing the forum very annoying and they work the same way as explained in the above post. I have turned the pop up blocker up on the highest level, so high that I have to use the ctrl button when I wish to open attachements and links posted on the board, it has gotten alot better but still some of theese error safe pop ups get trough and they open in other windows open on my computer. I dont know if anything can be done about it but I would be very happy if it could

Old 08-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I also discovered it when browsing in Firefox or Netscape - but when I browse around in Safari, I have no problems at all.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I´m using Internet Explorer and I haven´t had any problems with pop ups...
Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
I'm using Firefox & thankfully I haven't had any problems (knock on wood), but my computer has been freezing up recently. But I'm not sure why that is...

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 08-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Majesty

It's happening to me, too. But just when I'm logged out. I use Firefox and usually don't have problems but this is really annoying.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I only get a pop-up when I log into the forums. It's just one pop-up and I don't get any after that- only when I log in everytime.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhrc
It's happening to me, too. But just when I'm logged out. I use Firefox and usually don't have problems but this is really annoying.

Same here,when I am logged out,my antispy programm says that my PC may be infected by some malwares,this happen usually when some hacking or crush programms try intrusion ,but when when I'm logged in,I don't have any problem,could be that bacause forums use some programms to scan IP adresses,and this is detected as an intrusion?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

The best thing to do with any popups is to hit the red square at the top right and get rid of it. Don't even read it; if a popup is telling you that you have a virus or whatever, it's just advertising and should be deleted along with the ones advertising diets and loans and whatever else.

We'll let Andy know and see what he says, but I know he's adding advertising to try to help offset the costs of running the forum, so there may not be anything that can be done about it.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Commoner

Thanks for your response and support, Elspeth.
I installed a pop-up blocker but it seems uneffective against these type of pop-ups, that aren't of the type that you can easily close by clicking a cross, unfortunately. The previous one came out again, and also a new one that is equally intrusive and persistent.
I will take note fo the addresses of these "web harrassers" and will post them here for easier identification.
Re. web advertising, there is a wide choice available and not all of them are so annoying and malicious. I hope that our suggestions will help the webmaster doing the best choice.
Kindly keep us posted with developments when you can.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just an FYI - Value Click Media (a trusted ad network) is supposed to only display a single pop-up each 24 hours to GUESTS only. I will look into settings to see if there is a way to restrict the type of ads shown.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Commoner

Thank you Andy - please note that I am having all the trouble when I'm logged in, not as a guest.
I wonder whether Value Click Media is aware of how their international ad partners - such as the Italian one - comply with their professional standards.
Thank you for your time and your ongoing support. I keep my fingers crossed.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Commoner

Pop-ups

I am becoming increasingly irritated by these infuriating advertisements and pop-ups from the SystemDoctor telling me I have a serious problem with my computer. Every time I go to a new section I have to go through this infuriating business. If it continues, I shall be forced to stop visiting the Royal Forums. I refuse to be dictated to by pop-ups and intrusive ads.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

**Something you can do if you want to get rid of pop-ups**
If you want to stop getting pop-ups, download a Google of Yahoo! toolbar - they come with built in pop-up blocker that you can turn on and off when you please
Old 09-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Commoner

I have installed Google toolbar on my home computer a couple of days ago but had no chance to connect frequently to the RF - I will be able to tell you whether the bloody System Doctor is hitting again in a few days.
Anyway, it is the first time that I am forced to install a pop-up detector, I did not need it before and I wonder if it is fair that I need it just for the RF.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

You should go and download firefox as your new browser! Since I use firefox I but rarely see pop ups.

Isn't there another way to get money? I would be glad to contribute a few bucks if there was a way and I think many on here agree with me...
Old 09-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Commoner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
Isn't there another way to get money? I would be glad to contribute a few bucks if there was a way and I think many on here agree with me...
I fully agree with you! I would be more than happy to contribute via a subscription.
And online advertising is not necessarily as annoying as the SystemDoctor, there are many who cause no nuisance at all.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Commoner

I have a pop up blocker on my computer but that creates problems viewing certain sites. I don't think there's any easy way around it!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I use Firefox and I have no issues with pop-ups when I come to this site. You can manually set Firefox to allow pop-ups from certain sites and disallow them from others.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Commoner

It's quite a while that the infamous "systemdoctor" doesn't show up.
Andy, in case it's you who has fixed this, thank you very much, and thanks whoever has been of help. :)