The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Error Message

Over the last 24 hours every time I click on a page anywhere in the Forum I get a 'threat detected' and 'a threat has been blocked and quarantined' message.

In this past 24 hour period I have had over 100 items quarantined and only from this site.

This is particularly happening when the page has a video linked to it but while typing this message I have received 7 of them.

The IT people at work looked at it for me (as it happened yesterday when I was at work and I was worried) and they said it is something in this site and not already on my computer.

We use the Sophos anti-virus system.

No other site I ever go to gives me that message.

Mods and Admins - you may need to look into this as it is a worry if this site is infecting our computers. I can't give any more information as Sophos only tells me that the 'threat' has been 'detected, blocked and quarantined' and when I click on the Sophos quarantine it says 'generic PUA virus detected' and then gives me the option to clean them up. I have 12 to clean up now from this message alone - note it was 7 earlier in the message but now it is 12.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Iluvbertie. I have notified our tech team of the issue and they will investigate to see what is causing the problem.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the report. We don"t see anything amiss but PUA (and PUPs) can come from Ads. Ads are displayed based on your own browsing history so you might have picked up some unwanted adware.

You could run a scan with Malwarebytes (free download) to double check or trust your current security scheme. It could also be a false positive. If there were real files being blocked, they'd be in quarantine. Can you check? If you find something there let us know what the file names are so we can look further.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

All the adds that pop up here also pop up on other sites but this is the only place where I am getting this message.

They are going into quarantine with the message I told you.

I have been advised by the IT staff at school that it is in this site and as you can't fix it I will have no option but to leave the site. We tested this on a number of different computers - my home computer at home, five different computers at school using different service providers and even a computer in a friend's home - the only time the message came was when I logged onto this site - no other site just this one.

Sorry - but that is the way it is.

I can't take the risk of infecting my works computers (all 400+ not to mention the over 1200 students devices that log onto the schools' system).

If I was getting the message on any other sites I would have told you but it is only on this one.

Sorry - but it is goodbye from me due to the dangers of a virus from this site.

I have enjoyed my time here but security must take precedence.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This may be off base but thought I'd throw a few pennies in the pot.

Perhaps what happened is that the browser being used was updated and for some reason the ad blockers didn't pass muster. I've had that happen where after a update, I had to physically reconfigure my ad blocker in my browser.

I have had no trouble with ads since then.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:14 AM
Royal Highness

That is unusual because I use Firefox with it's own ad blockers and Avira anti-virus and haven't had any problems with Royal Forums.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Nobility

Has anybody else's anti-virus detected adware or viruses?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Majesty

No, and my security settings are set "paranoid", so threats ought to have been detected.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well we have worked out what is happening.

Through one of my 'social media accounts' - including this one - a hacker (no idea who or what) is using this site to gain access to my computer. Could be a student from the school or someone from the other side of the world.

This is increasingly a common way hackers are attacking computers to gain access to your personal information.

Just because you aren't getting a 'warning' doesn't mean you aren't being attacked according to the guys who have spent much of the last four days with my computers at home and at work trying to backdoor the problem and after working with the people at Sophos have said that this site isn't the actual problem but that outsiders are using this site - and millions of others - as ways into our computers.

So I can now post again - hurrah - and I really must thank the IT guys at work for the fantastic job they did in tracking this down for me. They have also learnt a lot about the royals from their many visits here to see if what they had tried worked. Eventually it did - we know what is causing it - I will continue to get the message but no concerns as Sophos is blocking everything from getting through.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Whew!! I'm glad you have the problem worked out and are back among us. TRF just wouldn't be the same without you.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Whew!! I'm glad you have the problem worked out and are back among us. TRF just wouldn't be the same without you.
Exactly, I'm happy you're back too.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Commoner

Glad all is safe! Cheers!