Editing one's own posts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnydep

Nobility
City
N/A
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that after an period of time one can not edit or delete ones post.
whats happens when a member (a few days later) thinks to oneself.....i was a bit harsh in that post...i better alter or delete it, when that period of time as lapsed.
i suppose the only option is to make a apology and hope for the best !!
best regards jonny. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonny, there's another option which is to contact one of the forum moderators and ask them to edit the post on your behalf. This is not uncommon.
Members have 48 hours in which to edit their own posts after which time the post 'locks'. Once a post is locked only the Forums staff can edit it.

:previous:
hi warren.....thank you for your kind reply ! i shall keep it in mind, should the occasion ever arise......!!
cheers mate :)

what a pity that the edit feature is not
left available on members own posts.
In some forums I can go back a year later and
change my posting.
Ive just seen one of my posts and the link
does nt work for some reason,
I could easily have corrected it ........

You shouldn't be able to edit a post after a year, its goes away after a few weeks.

maybe theres a way of tweaking the software ?

I don't understand why someone would want to go back to a post they made a year or more ago and change it. That doesn't seem to make sense. If you posted a link and it's no longer active, you can always PM a mod with the correct link or just ask them to remove it, and I'm sure they'd be happy to do that for you.

I think the reason the function doesn't exist is the temptation some people might have to go back and remove things they said that might have started an argument or change things around so that what people think they said isn't what has actually been posted. It keeps everyone honest, I think.

It keeps everyone honest, I think.
Exactly. Members have 48 hours in which to edit a post they have made. After 48 hours the post "locks" and the ability to edit is restricted to Mods and Admins.

We've had instances in the past where disaffected members attempted to edit and even delete every post they had made within a particular discussion. This meant that all posts made by other members in response no longer had context and the flow of discussion appeared nonsensical.

There have also been cases where members who had a disagreement with either a moderator or another member had then demanded that every post they had ever made be deleted from the Forums. If that member had the ability to edit their posts stretching back a year, great damage could have been done to the integrity of many discussions.
No, the ability to edit for 48 hours is quite long enough for most members to correct errors and typos.

Edit extension please

Exactly. Members have 48 hours in which to edit a post they have made. After 48 hours the post "locks" and the ability to edit is restricted to Mods and Admins.
---
No, the ability to edit for 48 hours is quite long enough for most members to correct errors and typos.

I would please ask for an extension of at least a week since I'm anal about the mistakes I make. I found two days wasn't enough time to correct or modify my posts. Consider that some people take that long to look back at current posts.

Interesting discussion here in this thread, I think if you decide you want to change something after the post has been made and then sat for 48 hours it is good to leave it stay as it is. It adds context to the personality of the person. If we have spelling errors then so what, no one is perfect. If you want to add to your post then I think it would be good to qoute yourself.

Back
Top Bottom