The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Majesty

Creating and Uploading Avatars

Here is a little tutorial. I use Adobe Photoshop 7, but it is pretty much the same with every other program like:

Gimp Photofiltre

Always try to use images without watermarks, that makes it a lot easier.....

It's okay if the size is not exactly 80x80, 79x80 or 80x78 is also okay, just make sure that the bigger side is not larger than 80......

Old 07-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you, tbhrc!

I made some avatars are made by photos with watermarks but the watermark is in the midlle of the photo but if i enlarge the photo i can see the watermark. Is there any problem if the avatars have 80x78 or 79x80?

Old 07-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Majesty

No I don't think so, because you actually won't note that there is 1 pixel missing. But if the size is 40x80, I honestly think that's too small. And another tip, always remember to sharp your avatar, (you'll see the difference), and to change the brightness if they are too dark.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA...
Is there any problem if the avatars have 80x78 or 79x80?
There is no problem with avatars that are 80x79 or 80x79 pixels in size, as our maximum avatar size is 80x80 pixels.

However, avatars which are proportionately noticeable in size, such as 60x80 pixels or something similar to that, will unlikely be included in the avatar gallery due to the consistency with the rest of the avatars in the gallery.

Avatars which are made with fuzzy or blurry images will also unlikely be included in the avatar gallery because the quality is not sufficient -- who wants an avatar of their favourite royal if it is unclear or grainy?

Avatars that are made using images that include the torso of a royal are also usually unclear as one is trying to include too much in such a small-shaped image. That is why mostly avatars are of faces.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhrc
No I don't think so, because you actually won't note that there is 1 pixel missing. But if the size is 40x80, I honestly think that's too small. And another tip, always remember to sharp your avatar, (you'll see the difference), and to change the brightness if they are too dark.
Sharpen it once and it's usually okay, but if you sharpen it more times than that, it can often become grainy.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Serene Highness

I'd like to learn how make "changing avatars". Where are more pictures in one avatars. Well, can someone help me?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
I'd like to learn how make "changing avatars". Where are more pictures in one avatars. Well, can someone help me?
they're in GIF format. you can create them with Adobe PhotoShop or Adobe After Effects. indeed, maybe someone can help us create GIF avatars? :p

if there's anyone who would like to try Corel in making an avatar, i can help out with simple avatars.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
What if you are having problems adjusting the pixels? I've been trying & everytime I fix one- the other one changes. For example- if I put 80 in the width- the height changes to 85....then if I try to put 80 in the height the width changes to 75

Ok so I was messing around in Microsoft Paint & was able to cut the size down but it would be nice to use Photoshop to size it- using Paint is such a guessing game.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
What if you are having problems adjusting the pixels? I've been trying & everytime I fix one- the other one changes. For example- if I put 80 in the width- the height changes to 85....then if I try to put 80 in the height the width changes to 75
I use Corel to make my avatars and one of the options when sizing it is to maintain the ratio -- therefore if you're adjusting the width, the height automatically accomodates whatever size you've set the width to. If you unclick that option, you can set the width and height to whatever you want.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

For avatar making is the best program photofiltre I think. I tried a lot of, but this is simple and it has a lot of tools and functions. and it's for free too.
Lady Jenifer when you are marking avatar, are you holding SHIFT? By pressing shift, you'll do a square.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
No I hadn't been using Shift. I did find a way though in Photoshop to make the pixels 80x80 & the moderator size avatars (you see I made the avatar I'm using- I like to keep things simple )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
Lady Jenifer when you are marking avatar, are you holding SHIFT? By pressing shift, you'll do a square.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Courtier

Not sure how useful this would be to anyone, but I thought that I'd post it anyway.

Adding a border to your avatars

Borders make your avatars look nice and clean, and they're very easy to do.
[This tutorial is for Adobe Photoshop- the particular version I am using is 7.0. I apologize but I have no experience with other programs so I can't tell you how to do this in Corel or PSP. Sorry!]

1] Select the avatar you want to use. I am using this nice one of Princess Mathilde walking with Prince Emmanuel.

2] Go to the Layers palette [if you can't find it, go to "Window" at the top of the screen and click it, and in the drop-down menu point to "Layers" and click it to make it checked. This will display the Layers palette]. Right click on the "Background" layer and select "Duplicate Layer".

A dialog box will pop up so that you can rename the new layer. For the sake of sanity I kept the name the same- "Background copy".

Right click on the "Background copy" layer in the Layers palette and select "Blending Options".

A dialog box will pop up. Check the box that says "Stroke" on the left-hand side at the bottom. [Note- make sure that you actually physically click on the word "stroke", otherwise the menu will not come up]

In the "Position" drop-down menu, select "inside".

Click on the rectangular box next to "color" [in my case the color of the box is red].

This will bring up the color picker. Select the color you want to use- in this example, I am using black.

After clicking "OK" on the color picker, you will come back to your original dialog box. Slide the selector by the "size" option over to "1" if it's not already there, and click "OK".

Ta-da! You're done! You should now have a nice border around your avatar. Looks nice and clean now, eh? ^_^

Old 08-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Courtier

Here is the finished product of my work in the post above:

But you can easily play around with the border size and colors to make it look different! Here is a white 3 px border [to change the px size of the border, slide the "size" selector in the stroke dialog box to whatever size you'd like]:

How about 3 px pink?:

Or, 3 px black [shows up a little better than 1 px]:

Play around with it, have fun, let me know if this tutorial was helpful at all.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Royal Highness

I was wondering if someone can tell me how can i do a moving avatar?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

You need to have a gif animator ...JuAnItA...
They're easy to download free (or by trial period) on the internet, just google "gif animator"
Old 09-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
You need to have a gif animator ...JuAnItA...
They're easy to download free (or by trial period) on the internet, just google "gif animator"
Thank you very much, my dear!
I will try to do something...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

JuAnItA try Microsoft GIF Animator, you can get it easily if you do a search on google.
I downloaded it a few days ago and it works perfectly for me. I had previously made several attempts to figure out how to do animations in photoshop but it gave me a headache every time.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
JuAnItA try Microsoft GIF Animator, you can get it easily if you do a search on google.
I downloaded it a few days ago and it works perfectly for me. I had previously made several attempts to figure out how to do animations in photoshop but it gave me a headache every time.
Thank you very much, Humera!
I will try to make some moving avatars!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I couldn't find the sizes of the moderator avatars anywhere, could anybody tell me?
To make it more complicated, how do I put faces from 3 different pictures in 1 avatar? I want to make an avatar of Queen Beatrix, Queen Paola and Grand Duchess Maria-Teresa and one of Mathilde, Letizia and Maxima, one of Astrid Laurentien and Elena and one of Claire, Cristina and Sybilla (preferably all with tiara). If it is to difficult to explain, please let me know to as I can put the idea out of my head then.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Serene Highness

I think the moderator avatars are 80 by 160 pixels.
I don't know which programm you're using, btw. I only know how paint shop pro works, I'm afraid...