If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
How to make avatars, a short tutorial.

A short tutorial then... not about GIF images, but about the basic simple icons. I'm using Adobe PhotoShop here, the theory should work well enough in all graphics programmes though the technical stuff might vary.

1. We use the large photo of Ingrid Alexandra: as image 0.

2. The first thing that should be done is to pick out the part of the picture that you want to make an icon of. You can just resize the picture to fit the 80x80, but isn't it more fun to make an artistic statement?

If you keep too much of the picture, and not all of it is essential... well, at max 80x80 you can't afford to let too many other things besides the royal in question be there. So use a marquee to mark what you want to have, then copy and paste it in a new window (or if you have another way, use it in the existing window.)

3. If you have the image that you want to use, now is the time to resize it so that the longest side is 80. It will look something like the first picture. Note: Don't try to enforce 80x80 size unless the picture's sides are all the same length. It will look odd.

4. Since Ingrid Alexandra turned out to be rather blurry after the resize: we use a filter that is called "sharpen" on her. After that she'll look a bit like the second picture. Beware of using the sharpening tool too many times. It won't be pretty, and poor Ingrid Alexandra may not look like herself at all.

5. Now the time has come to maybe do some fancy things. Adding another layer perhaps, with a soft colour? Image 3. Or perhaps not. (This layer thing is really quite useful if you want to create a romantic effect, or something else, also the styles section has plenty of pre-created styles to try out.)

6. Going back to the image we have from 4. the time has come to add perhaps something to frame the picture in. In Adobe Photoshop this can be found in the style section in one of the floating boxes. You'll have to add another layer, and colour it for the style to be affected. Here I add a 1 pt. red border to the image, to fit with Ingrid's apron. There are times when the borders aren't necessary, but there are times when they fit quite well in, to make the picture step a bit more out at us. (Image 4.)

7. Now the time has come to add the dreaded text, if you want it. I really don't recommend doing this before you resize your image, as the text becomes as blurry as you saw the picture get earlier. I write "Cookie" See image 5.

8. The problem now: The text. It doesn't really stand out. For there to be a point to the text, it has to be readable. Something must be done. We change the colour of the text, so that it stands out. It can also be nice to add a border to the text so that it stands even more out, or some special effects. Since the font I was using, while it was a pretty font, didn't really get the message out: I changed it. There are plenty of fonts out there, some are better for making icons than others. Some work well when they're small. Others don't.

And the finished result: Image 6.

This image was easier to work with than many others might have been... it didn't require much cropping, or correcting of faults.

If you have Adobe Photoshop, I'd recommend taking a picture and trying out all the effects there are. You could use the filmgrain filter (Image 7) neon glow (image 8) or the photocopy filter (image 9)

You can get quite many things done.

I hope it helped. Feel free to ask questions, there are plenty of talented avatar-makers out there who might help you.

Attachments

• NY-Christmas 2004-506b.jpg
    NY-Christmas 2004-506b.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 225
  • tutorial1.jpg
    tutorial1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 667
  • tutorial2.jpg
    tutorial2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 673
  • tutorial3.jpg
    tutorial3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 676
  • tutorial4.jpg
    tutorial4.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 670
  • tutorial5.jpg
    tutorial5.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 661
  • tutorial6.jpg
    tutorial6.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 677
  • tutorial7.jpg
    tutorial7.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 662
  • tutorial8.jpg
    tutorial8.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 661
  • tutorial9.jpg
    tutorial9.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Thanks, like that i have some orientation.
I maide mine now.
I just go to my image programe (corel photo paint 11):
- open image
- image size
- chose pixels
- resize
- ok
and voila..... is that???

I make this to ...

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 689
how do I place avatar?

How I must put avatar under my name, someone can help me please? Where can I find avatar, want someone me a link give? thank you! :p :)

This thread has the information to upload avatars that other members have generously taken the time and utilized their creative skills to make: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5402&page=1.

Pre-made avatars (that you do not need to save to your computer) can be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editavatar.

The collections start with the Belgian royals, but if you use the Avatar Category drop down menu, you will see collections for other royal families, too.

Hope that was helpful! :)

Alexandria, thanks with helping me with my avatar!
Thank you very much!

Don't let doubts lose the magic of love, because it's not everyday you meet someone who has the magic to let you fall in love with them!"This way reported under ordinary

bulletins that there always continues stand how tired you that does, to Alexandria, or if someone else can help me?

Alexandria, This way reported under ordinary bulletins that there always continues stand how tired you that does, to Alexandria, or if someone else can help me?

are able you my English good read because I am not possible that this way good!
ANNIE

I'd like to know why sometimes when I try to upload an avatar that's like 115 x 80 I'm not allowed and I see some avatars that are 160 x 80.

monaco70s said:
I'd like to know why sometimes when I try to upload an avatar that's like 115 x 80 I'm not allowed and I see some avatars that are 160 x 80.

Avatars here should only be a max of 80x80 pixels. (Except for those of TRF Team Members which are bigger.) The TRF software will not permit avatars larger than this -- hence when you try to upload avatars larger than this it tells you that the size is too big and it cannot be uploaded.

Avatars which are larger than this are strongly discouraged as they can be distracting.

I am not familiar with avatars that are larger than 80x80 -- please let me know whose avatar exceeds this size. Mostly avatars that I've seen of members are this size or smaller.

Thanks Alexandria, yes the avatars I've seen 160 x 80 are those of the Moderating team.

Thanks for clearing up my question :D

I have another query about avatars.

I've been wanting to change my avatar image, and have found after looking on the web that very few pictures fit the 80x80pixel limit.
Do you know of any way of "shrinking" these pictures so that they could be used as an avatar on this site?

thanks.

An image programme, like Adobe PS, is probably the best way to alter the size of an image, and retain the quality from before.

Norwegianne, so I take it the Adobe Reader programe wouldn't be very helpful?

Probably not. (She says, without having too much insight into what Adobe Reader can do.)

Little_star said:
Norwegianne, so I take it the Adobe Reader programe wouldn't be very helpful?

you'd need a program like Adobe Photoshop to shrink, resize, crop images.

I use Irfan Program, it's very good to resize images.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
you'd need a program like Adobe Photoshop to shrink, resize, crop images.

Thanks you so much, Humera. Adobe Photoshop working really good to me, i can change the size now.

Little_star said:
Can you download Adobe Photoshop?
Maybe a trial, but not the whole programe, you need to buy that. You can check on download.com or tucows.com... Otherwise there are great free picture programs that can do this too, you can find info and downloads at the sites I mentioned.

Little_star said:
Can you download Adobe Photoshop?

At abobe.com you can download a free trial but it only lasts for 30 days.

I think we can use Microsoft Photo Editor is one of the best one.Before i had that but after installing my computer again i don't know how to have it again but it's a great one.

I seen several avatars that were just created that I would like to upload and change my avatar to. How do you change them to the newly made ones?Can you just click on it and upload it? If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks kelly1972

I'll try to explain...

Right click, and "Save as.." which avatar you like, and save it to your computer

Then go to User CP at the top, (between Roayl Photos and FAQ), then under Settings & Options click "Edit Avatar".

There's three "boxes" (blue outlined areas...a box just sounds less confusing I think), and the first says "Your current avatar"-scroll down the second says "Predefined _________ Royal Family", scroll down past that to the last one that says "Custom avatar", and click to select that.

Now, click "Browse.." and find where ever you saved the avatar and click "Open". Click "Save changes" and that should change your avatar!

I hope that helps....:)

Thanks Beccalynn 07 I really appreciate the explanation. I'll give it a try.

Kelly 1972

Well I'm sure doing something wrong. I still don't see my avatar. :confused:

Edited to ask - Or do I have to wait until a certain amount of posts??

Last edited:
You should be able to see your avatar immediately. There are no requirements in terms of post number or length of membership.

Elspeth said:
You should be able to see your avatar immediately. There are no requirements in terms of post number or length of membership.

I see it in the 'edit avatar' options along with many other avatars but not under my Username. :( I tried deleting it so as not to use up bandwidth, I tried using my own websites URL, and I tried to upload from the computer-still nothing. :confused: I'll figure it out one of these days.

I've tried for hours but I still can't figure out what is wrong. I haven't had at problem including an avatar by my Username on other boards. :/

Last edited:
Did you perhaps not click "Save changes" at the bottom?....

I'm sorry my explaination didn't help you out, Queen Mary I....:(

Back
Top Bottom