The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2007, 12:51 AM

Thanks for some clarity about the surname.

I tried to find that site again, but I will just have to give up. There was family tree and had blue background with a type of historical picture of Olav in uniform. According to that site, one of the children from that relationship died of boating accident.

Could it be possible there was a marriage, but ended in annullment of some type in order to marry the princess? Possibly to strengthen the Norway-Sweden relationship?

Anyway, I was hoping you could shed more light regarding the information from that site. Sorry, I just can't remember where that was from.

Again, thanks for the info about surname.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 PM

I could not find that particular site in question, but I found another site that indicated that there was a first marriage. See # 9

I went to google.com and put in "martha suren" av norge and found the following:

9 [1] Kong Olav V av NORGE Born: 2-Jul-1903 in Appleton House, Sandringham Died: 17-Jan-1991 in Kongsseteren, Oslo
......................... +Märtha SUREN Married: 1920 Died: 1986
...................... *2nd Wife of [1] Kong Olav V av NORGE:
......................... +Prinzessin Märtha av SVERIGE Born: 28-Mar-1901 in Stockholm Married: 21-Mar-1929 in Vor Frelsers Church, Oslo Died: Apr-1954 in Oslo, Norway

from the link:

Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: Outline Descendant Tree ...- [ Translate this page ]9 [1] Kong Olav V av NORGE Born: 2-Jul-1903 in Appleton House, Sandringham Died: 17-Jan-1991 in Kongsseteren, Oslo ......................... +Märtha SUREN ...
familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/o/e/Martin-G-Goebel/ODT5-0001.html - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: Outline Descendant Tree: Descendants of Alexander von Dohna-Schlobitten

Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer View Post
I could not find that particular site in question, but I found another site that indicated that there was a first marriage. See # 9

I went to google.com and put in "martha suren" av norge and found the following:

9 [1] Kong Olav V av NORGE Born: 2-Jul-1903 in Appleton House, Sandringham Died: 17-Jan-1991 in Kongsseteren, Oslo
......................... +Märtha SUREN Married: 1920 Died: 1986
...................... *2nd Wife of [1] Kong Olav V av NORGE:
......................... +Prinzessin Märtha av SVERIGE Born: 28-Mar-1901 in Stockholm Married: 21-Mar-1929 in Vor Frelsers Church, Oslo Died: Apr-1954 in Oslo, Norway

from the link:

Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: Outline Descendant Tree ...- [ Translate this page ]9 [1] Kong Olav V av NORGE Born: 2-Jul-1903 in Appleton House, Sandringham Died: 17-Jan-1991 in Kongsseteren, Oslo ......................... +Märtha SUREN ...
familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/o/e/Martin-G-Goebel/ODT5-0001.html - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: Outline Descendant Tree: Descendants of Alexander von Dohna-Schlobitten
Given that Olav was 17 in 1920, the age of majority then was 21 and could not contract a marriage without his father, the King's, consent according to the constitution and still keep his right to the Norwegian throne, I'm not inclined to think there was a marriage going on at any rate. A marriage is one of the things that sound very unlikely to me given the age of Olav, as well as his education, at the time. In 1920 he had not yet graduated from the Norwegian equivalent of high school. He graduated in 1921.

It is also a tad strange that the only two - open - places on the web I can find a reference to this is the website above, and in a QA session at Dagbladet where someone sent in the following question to the (Swiss/Italian) chef at a restaurant. In the question, it is referred to as a relationship and not a marriage, but still talked about it starting in 1920.

It's a bit of the danger with some genealogy websites on royals, that no sources are cited, or that not all sources might be correct. http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/cgi-bin/g...yal?royal00454 does for example list Märtha Louise as married to one of her ex-boyfriends, and not Ari Behn.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos of Olav and Märtha:
Wedding photo of Princess Märtha of Sweden and Prince Olav, 21.3.1929
IBL Bildbyrå
Princess Märtha of Sweden and Prince Olav on their wedding day
IBL Bildbyrå
Märtha and Olav at their honeymoon in Sandringham, Norfolk
IBL Bildbyrå
At the honeymoon in London
IBL Bildbyrå
Märtha and Olav 1929
IBL Bildbyrå
Märtha and Olav arriving to United States 1939
IBL Bildbyrå
Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Aristocracy

I have found this picture on this link:- http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...lav-Martha.jpg . Do I understand that King Olav and Crown Princess Martha are buried together in Akershus? The Crown Princess died many years before King Olav??
King Haakon and Queen Maud in this picture http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...aakon-Maud.jpg. and a third picture of the crypt of the kings of Norway http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...shus/crypt.jpg
Do I understand that it is a tradition in Norway to be burried together with the spouse? Thanks in advance.
Credit to www.royaltyguide.nl
Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Commoner

Because of culture differences! Do I understand that they are not burried underground? or is it just a shrine and they are already burried underground.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post
I have found this picture on this link:- http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...lav-Martha.jpg . Do I understand that King Olav and Crown Princess Martha are buried together in Akershus? The Crown Princess died many years before King Olav??
King Haakon and Queen Maud in this picture http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...aakon-Maud.jpg. and a third picture of the crypt of the kings of Norway http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...shus/crypt.jpg
Do I understand that it is a tradition in Norway to be burried together with the spouse? Thanks in advance.
Credit to www.royaltyguide.nl
Yes, they are buried together.

And it is quite customary for spouses in Norway to be buried together - when the first of a married couple dies, it is usually left space on the headstone, so that there is also room for the spouse on the stone.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
Yes, they are buried together.

And it is quite customary for spouses in Norway to be buried together - when the first of a married couple dies, it is usually left space on the headstone, so that there is also room for the spouse on the stone.
Thank you norwegianne for the information, it's quite amazing and very touchy at the same time.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you norwegianne for all your efforts and time in writing this biography, I really enjoyed it and enjoyed the pictures too, so thank you all for posting the photos

I have found a page on King Olav at Kong Olav / Aftenposten.no and thought it might be useful to put it here in this thread, it has many articles on King Olav (In Norwegian only, I have tried to find this page in English at the English version of aftenposten but failed to do so). Anyway, the page also contains around five galleries of King Olav, where old and relatively new photos of the King can be found.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Courtier

I have to add this little anecdote to King Olav's biography:
In 1976, the King was visiting Måløy in Norway in order to inaugurate a new bridge. The occasion was celebrated with a grand lunch, and I was called in to be His Majesty's personal attendant during the meal. Among the guests were mayors from every local town and county, and I knew them all very well from my job at a nearby hotel. But that day, none of them knew me. Obviously, there was a certain shame in admitting to having a personal relationship with a mere maitre d'hotel on such a day. After the lunch was over, they all filed out of the dining hall without as much as a look in my direction. Suddenly, a man stopped before me, bowed and said: "Thank you for good service." It was the King himself. A gentleman to the fingertips.

ChatNoir
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

20 years ago, on January 17th 1991 , King Olav V of Norway died:

20 år siden kong Olav døde - Side2

Tags
biography, history, olav v