Queen Sofia's working visit to Morocco: February, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdas1201

Heir Presumptive
City
Houston
Country
United States
24 February, 2005: Lalla Salma with Queen Sofia of Spain, who is on a trip to Algeria, Mauritania and Morocco.

Attachments

• MOROCCO-SPAIN-SOFIA-SALMA_2.jpg
    MOROCCO-SPAIN-SOFIA-SALMA_2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,203
  • MOROCCO-SPAIN-SOFIA-SALMA-0.jpg
    MOROCCO-SPAIN-SOFIA-SALMA-0.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,706
Queen Sofia to visit Children institutions in Morocco:
Tetuan, (Northern Morocco) Feb 25 - Queen Sofia of Spain arrived, Thursday, in the Northern town of Tetuan, where she is due to visit several children institutions.

Queen Sofia was greeted upon arrival by Princess Lalla Salma (spouse of HM King Mohammed VI of Morocco).

Her activity schedule includes visits to Child Protection League, the Used Water Technology transfer center, the Hanane Disabled Children Protection Center and the Cervantes Spanish Teaching center.

The Spanish Queen arrived in Morocco From Mauritania, where she visited along with Mrs Aicha Ould Taya, spouse of the Mauritanian president, several towns and social institutions, including those contributed to by Spain. Algeria was the first leg of the Spanish Queen tour to the region.

Earlier this year, Queen Sofia accompanied her husband, King Juan Carlos, on a three-day State visit he paid to Morocco on January 17 through 19.

On January 19, Princess Lalla Salma and Queen Sophia visited, in Tangiers, Northern Morocco, the social center “Assadaka” for children and
young people who are in a difficult situation.

The center was set up part of a partnership between Entraide Nationale (public establishment for the fight against poverty) and the Spanish NGO 'Paideia' that is active in the protection of youth and children in a difficult situation.

Attachments

• ps&sofia 240205.JPG
    ps&sofia 240205.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • PS&sofia2.JPG
    PS&sofia2.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 767
Doña Sofía y Salma Benani,
el reencuentro de dos buenas amigas

La Reina Doña Sofía fue recibida en la tarde de ayer por la princesa Lala Salma, esposa del rey Mohamed VI de Marruecos, a su llegada al aeropuerto de Tetuán. La joven princesa actuó de anfitriona durante una cena de gala en palacio dentro de la breve visita que doña Sofia realiza a Marruecos en de su gira por varios paises del magreb.

reina-salma.jpg

http://www.hola.com/actualidad/imgActualidad/index.html?currentDay=25-02-2005&currentImg=2

salmasofia-dop3a.jpg

Lalla Salma opted for a spectacular silver kaftan when she hosted a dinner for her northern neighbour later that evening
Photo: © AFP

Attachments

• LS silver caftan.JPG
    LS silver caftan.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,296
Last edited:
salmasofia-dop1a.jpg

The former IT expert chats with her royal guest in Tetouan's royal palace

salmasofia-dop2a.jpg

The two royals seemed delighted to see each other

Last edited by a moderator:
February 25, 2005: Lalla Salma and Queen Sofia of Spain visited the Hanan Center in Tetouan.

Attachments

• 2532079.jpg
    2532079.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 688
  • 2532058.jpg
    2532058.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 2532041.jpg
    2532041.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 532
25 FEBRUARY 2005

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/02/25/lallasalma/#enviarThe friendly relations between Spain and her southern neighbours are obviously going from strength to strength, with Queen Sofia paying her second visit to Morocco in under a month. King Mohammed's wife, Princess Lalla Salma, warmly embraced her European visitor when she arrived at Tetouan Airport on Thursday afternoon.

Later that day the red-haired princess, dressed in a spectacular silver kaftan with ornate detailing, hosted a lavish dinner in honour of her guest. And the fact she has taken charge of such a high-profile event is just further evidence of the Moroccan royal household's determination to modernise.

The 26-year-old, who married King Mohammed in 2002, is the first wife of a Moroccan monarch to be photographed or seen publicly. A qualified computer engineer, she has taken centre stage at numerous official functions, including last year's visit from the Belgian royals.

The North African country has not always enjoyed such strong ties with Spain, however. Indeed the visit made by King Juan Carlos and his wife just a few weeks ago was the first in over 25 years. On that occasion Sofia had hoped to visit the historic city of Tetouan, but in the end there wasn't time in her hectic schedule.

Lalla Salma wasn't about to let her friend go disapponted, though, so the two women arranged to meet up again this week. And it seems the two countries are set to take their friendship one step further, as Spanish and Moroccan politicians are currently hammering out plans to build a tunnel under the Straits of Gibraltar.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/02/25/lallasalma/

Lalla Salma looks really cute in her Brown and white outfit ... :) just great

Last edited:
(Finally, link is back to its place)
The silver Kaftan looked gorgeous on her, Q.Sofia and her became extreemly friendly, I wonder in what langange do they communicate!

Amira said:
Lalla Salma looks really cute in her Brown and white outfit ... :) just great

Indeed, she looked rather lovely.

I think many of us were pleasantly surprised to see the warmth between Lalla Salma and Queen Sofia during the Spanish state visit in January. Considering the two women hadn't met each other before. Its nice to see they are following up on their first official meeting with this recent visit. Lalla Salma is indeed doing her part to improve her country's relationship with Spain. I knew all she needed was time to assert her presence as someone who could prove an asset to Morocco.
Good for her! and Queen Sofia too.
I like the two women more everytime I see them

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I think many of us were pleasantly surprised to see the warmth between Lalla Salma and Queen Sofia during the Spanish state visit in January. Considering the two women hadn't met each other before. Its nice to see they are following up on their first official meeting with this recent visit. Lalla Salma is indeed doing her part to improve her country's relationship with Spain. I knew all she needed was time to assert her presence as someone who could prove an asset to Morocco.
Good for her! and Queen Sofia too.
I like the two women more everytime I see them
Good point Humera. salma is doing her part to improve collaboration/relation between Spain and Morocco.
One article posted in "King Juan Carlos & Queen sofia thread" said: “Queen Sofia has initiated a visit by Algeria, Mauritania and Morocco, to accompany the projects carried out by the Spanish Agency for International Cooperation (AECI).”

For Salma, I don’t know if she follows (day by day) all projects in Morocco initiated by the foreign aid (like Belgium, Spain), is this the type of projects she carries or she does only accompany first ladies.

Last edited:
abir said:
Good point Humera. salma is doing her part to improve collaboration/relation between Spain and Morocco.
One article posted in "King Juan Carlos & Queen sofia thread" said: “Queen Sofia has initiated a visit by Algeria, Mauritania and Morocco, to accompany the projects carried out by the Spanish Agency for International Cooperation (AECI).”

For Salma, I don’t know if she follows (day by day) all projects in Morocco initiated by the foreign aid (like Belgium, Spain), is this the type of projects she carries or she does only accompany first ladies.

I think that for now Lalla Salma's duties within Morocco aren't that many. The King's sisters seem to have a more active role there.
I was hoping to see Salma accompany her husband abroad like his sisters have in the past. As far as I know, she has been to France once on her own, and once with King Muhammad. But there haven't been any major state visits from Morocco to other countries. If there is one perhaps we'll see Lalla Salma accompany her husband.
I dont think I've heard of any specific organizations or charities she patronizes.

another picture of Lalla Salma with Queen Sofia
I love the red and black outfit on Salma. Very classy.

Attachments

• coope23g.jpg
    coope23g.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 918
It is strange between the images that I saw on the TV and the photos that have been mailed there is a big difference

On the TV lalla salma seemed embarrassed and very shy, she spoke little, and watched the camera with an anxious look, whereas on the photos she seems relaxed

I don't know if I must believe the photos or the images

lalla salma seems took weight, on the face and on the waist, maybe she is pregnant

loubna2 said:
It is strange between the images that I saw on the TV and the photos that have been mailed there is a big difference

On the TV lalla salma seemed embarrassed and very shy, she spoke little, and watched the camera with an anxious look, whereas on the photos she seems relaxed

I don't know if I must believe the photos or the images

lalla salma seems took weight, on the face and on the waist, maybe she is pregnant

It is precisely what I noticed, the photos give the impression that lalla salma was very relaxed whereas on the TVshe seemed embarrassed :confused:

The takchita that she wearied contrasts too much with the simplicity of the Spanish ladies ; she should wear it for a more prestigious opportunity (or perhaps she doesn't have a lot of opportunity to show hers most beautiful dresses:D )

I liked a lot the dressess of day of salma , the beige suit the one red and black are very elegant
when to say that salma plays a role in the reinforcement of the relations between the spain and morocco, I don't see on what that is basis
what salma do is the minimum that a first lady must do, to welcome a first lady who comes in her country
in all countries that the queen sofia visited, she is welcomed with a big smile, and queen sofia is always very agreeable with all those that she meets, not only with salma
queen sofia is a cordial woman that is in her nature

its great seeing salma... and its a pity she only is seen when other royal is in morocco and not on her own. i m sure she would make a great job as princess of morocco if they let her have her own engagements.

isis said:

The takchita that she wearied contrasts too much with the simplicity of the Spanish ladies ; she should wear it for a more prestigious opportunity (or perhaps she doesn't have a lot of opportunity to show hers most beautiful dresses:D )

good remark isis, the kaftan and the jewelries of salma are too sumptuous and doesn't suit for this kind of dinner
it is so strange of one coast the queen so simple and on the other salma dressed like to go to a pomp dinner:eek:

rosa said:
good remark isis, the kaftan and the jewelries of salma are too sumptuous and doesn't suit for this kind of dinner
it is so strange of one coast the queen so simple and on the other salma dressed like to go to a pomp dinner:eek:

maybe you didn't see the pictures on TV, but at the dinner salma didn't stop looking at the camera, I think that she was more concentrated on her own person that on the queen sofia and the purpose of the queen's travel ;)

Yes, the dress of the day was ok. But for the dinner, the silver and the big earrings were too much compare to what other ladies wear.
I believe the choice of an evening (day) dress is based on the evaluation of the event … and to me salma choice seems like an over-estimation of the event ... or maybe it’s that way she wants to be, different from others.

About shyness ... it will go by experience and practice. Many politicians/CEO subscribe in theatre clubs to develop communication skills, confidence and how to deal with others.
Anyway, it's not dramatic but it depends on the person … if he/she wants to change to the best.

abir said:
Yes, the dress of the day was ok. But for the dinner, the silver and the big earrings were too much compare to what other ladies wear.
I believe the choice of an evening (day) dress is based on the evaluation of the event … and to me salma choice seems like an over-estimation of the event ... or maybe it’s that way she wants to be, different from others.

About shyness ... it will go by experience and practice. Many politicians/CEO subscribe in theatre clubs to develop communication skills, confidence and how to deal with others.
Anyway, it's not dramatic but it depends on the person … if he/she wants to change to the best.

Concerning the takchita that lalla salma wears for the dinner, it is the first time that lalla salma receives alone a first lady, for her, this dinner is therefore very important (for the queen sofia it is surely a minor event that is for it that she is dressed simply)

I agree with you, concerning the shyness, there are shy people who make excellent work and outgoing people who don't make anything

Personally, I think that lalla salma is shy, but it doesn't have any importance, the essential is that she makes her best

I think also that the princess is very young and has a lot of things to learn, but we can’t ask her for impossible, we would like all to see her more active, but it doesn't depend on her but of the protocol that seems even chilly when to the role of the king's wife

rosa said:
I liked a lot the dressess of day of salma , the beige suit the one red and black are very elegant
when to say that salma plays a role in the reinforcement of the relations between the spain and morocco, I don't see on what that is basis
what salma do is the minimum that a first lady must do, to welcome a first lady who comes in her country
in all countries that the queen sofia visited, she is welcomed with a big smile, and queen sofia is always very agreeable with all those that she meets, not only with salma
queen sofia is a cordial woman that is in her nature

I agree with you on this point, as much I find unjust to criticize lalla salma for her inactivity, as much I find that to say that she participates in the reinforcement of the relations between morocco and spain is very exagerrated

a question for all: do you think lalla salma has a beautiful body or no?
and why?

loubna2 said:
I agree with you on this point, as much I find unjust to criticize lalla salma for her inactivity, as much I find that to say that she participates in the reinforcement of the relations between morocco and spain is very exagerrated
I see your point loubna2 and rosa.

In one way, I agree that the real reinforcement of the relations between Morocco and Spain takes place at many levels: diplomacy, politics, economy, collaboration between politicians, associations of both countries, etc.

In another way, as I said, salma does only "her part" and contribution.
For example, I think it nice when the Spanish first lady is welcomed in Morocco ... and twice within a month.

I read that the Spanish royals’ last visit to Morocco dated more than 20 years ago (if I remember well).
Such lot of years and neighbour royals didn't make a visit to Morocco; it does explain tensions between the two countries/governments in the past.

So, since both countries are looking for a new era and want to renew historical links, so salma welcoming the Spanish queen is just a contribution to all what was put in place by diplomacy.

abir said:
I see your point loubna2 and rosa.
In one way, I agree that the real reinforcement of the relations between Morocco and Spain takes place at many levels: diplomacy, politics, economy, collaboration between politicians, associations of both countries, etc.

In another way, as I said, salma does only "her part" and contribution.
For example, I think it nice when the Spanish first lady is welcomed in Morocco ... and twice within a month.

I read that the Spanish royals’ last visit to Morocco dated more than 20 years ago (if I remember well).
Such lot of years and neighbour royals didn't make a visit to Morocco; it does explain tensions between the two countries/governments in the past.

So, since both countries are looking for a new era and want to renew historical links, so salma welcoming the Spanish queen is just a contribution to all what was put in place by diplomacy.

I understood your explanation abir and I agree, the most important work is do by others, lalla salma do what she can for maintain good personal relations with queen sofia

I don't like her way to stand up on this photo, lalla salma is slender then I think she can wear less high shoes, what do you think?

Attachments

• ps&sofia 2402051.JPG
    ps&sofia 2402051.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 1,162
isis said:
I don't like her way to stand up on this photo, lalla salma is slender then I think she can wear less high shoes, what do you think?

at present, one of the cannons of beauty is to be tall, what makes that short women like lalla salma are obligate to wear very high heels (I believe that on this photo, her heels at least are 10cm), the majority of the time lalla salma stand up elegantly, some times as here, she separates a little her legs to be comfortabel, it is not dramatic

Back
Top Bottom