Princess Lalla Salma's role in Morocco and the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joumana said:
I really wonder if she enjoy doing her job as "queen / wife" of the king???
Personaly I have a feeling that she must do that and that she isn't happy at all when she is doing that. We can see it on her body language. I think that she wants to be a "normal wife" taking care of her husband and son and not more. There is a lot of pressure on her to do charity works, going to the meeting, etc...

The king likes to give a modern image about himself as a modern king with pushing her to do some work. But does princess Salma enjoy that??? That's the question.

I just feel even now despite being in the public eye for a long time - that she is still uncomfortable with the press and photographers. Hopefully over time she will gain confidence. I think there is a part of her that does enjoy her duties. But i would like to see her do more charity work etc. That is increase her profile and perform more public duties.

I think that she is a very beautiful woman, and is doing an amazing job in which she is the first to do so. Since she is the very first publicly acknowledged spouse of a Moroccan royal, she is stepping up to the plate with no visible missteps, so I applaud her!

Empress said:
I think that she is a very beautiful woman, and is doing an amazing job in which she is the first to do so. Since she is the very first publicly acknowledged spouse of a Moroccan royal, she is stepping up to the plate with no visible missteps, so I applaud her!

hello,
Do not exaggerate not all !! Lalla Latifa was not visible... but carried out well her job...
then Lalla salma does not come from the North Pole... they are not the models of Princesses who miss.....
She can take as a starting point look at the Morrocan Princess and women befor...
When one do not know one looks around would be, one learns... One can be allowed to make imaginations and to impose its style (if it is taxable, which is really not the case of this young woman) once that that is sure and is voted by plebiscite.....
Honestly this orange festival, of sharp yellow, these to flashy colors and its awkward cuts... you put them on the account as she is the first visible wife ...... I find that apart from the fact that it is a pretty plant, it does not return concealed homage to the élégance of the Moroccan woman

Last edited:
ikram said:
hello,
Do not exaggerate not all !! Lalla Latifa was not visible... but carried out well her job...
then Lalla salma does not come from the North Pole... they are not the models of Princesses who miss.....
She can take as a starting point look at the Morrocan Princess and women befor...
When one do not know one looks around would be, one learns... One can be allowed to make imaginations and to impose its style (if it is taxable, which is really not the case of this young woman) once that that is sure and is voted by plebiscite.....
Honestly this orange festival, of sharp yellow, these to flashy colors and its awkward cuts... you put them on the account as she is the first visible wife ...... I find that apart from the fact that it is a pretty plant, it does not return concealed homage to the élégance of the Moroccan woman

I think that Empress mean that lalla salma was the first visible first lady in morocco.as for lalla latifa I never hear about any think she do except after hassan2 death!! now yes I hear about help she gives to alot of people just like the other princesses (lalla meryem,lalla asmaa and lalla hasna) and Of course lalla salma there is alot of work she do without The informational coverage.and I can give example because I know Personally some poeple who Benefited from her help.

Moroccan princesses used to be involved in public and associative duties in Morocco already under king Mohamed V and king Hassan II,but princess Lalla Salma is the first princess consort who was knowen publicly and participates in the same duties as the other moroccan princesses born.

I think that Salma can make a plus as she's the most educated of the moroccan princesses with her computer engineering master degree that many moroccan women can take example from her brillant studies and education.

What you say is true.
But when one you know a little near or by far the Moroccan society, one let us know that it was called Bennani, and that it is normal of share its medium, the Moroccan upper middle classes which revolves of very close around the royal family that the fact that it is made studies is normal, it is the case of all the children of middle-class man or woman in Morocco.......
The only example which it gives, it is that it reinforces the place of the Fassia middle-class (of fez) near the royal power...... Then me, apart from these studies and about his medium
I spoke about these very serious error of taste which is undeniable...... and this same for the provincial most moved back Morrocans

Salomé said:
Moroccan princesses used to be involved in public and associative duties in Morocco already under king Mohamed V and king Hassan II,but princess Lalla Salma is the first princess consort who was knowen publicly and participates in the same duties as the other moroccan princesses born.

I think that Salma can make a plus as she's the most educated of the moroccan princesses with her computer engineering master degree that many moroccan women can take example from her brillant studies and education.

Very often I read persons who say that, we must admire her because she is the first, king's wife who is visible, perhaps I would admire her if she was the first visible Moroccan Princess, but it's not the case, king's aunts and sisters, before her, have a public life, then she isn't at all a precursor, she don't make anything more than what make other Moroccan princesses

About her beauty, for me, princess Lalla Salma can be list with the enough cute ladies, but not the beautiful, I think that it’s her theatrical look; very flashy with a hairdo of a lady of Middle Ages, who makes persons focus on her, if no, I don’t understand why persons say that she is beautiful since she has many features that aren’t beautiful

that's right when you say the praincesses (lalla meryem ,lalla asmaa and lalla hasnaor or lalla aisha,lalla malika..) have In advance a public life,and I think nobody Expects from lalla salma to do more than them even if I saw she do more than them (in puplic) and I don't mean the Importance or the Use from what she do (the trip to thailland,to newyork and now her international symposium on cervical cancer but the princesses we don't see them from period).Generally in morocco there is no importance to the princesses work but the more important it's the king work.
but I must say that I think there is defference between lalla salma and the other princesses : she get more Attraction than them her in morocco (cover of many moroccan magazine and newspapersbut we don't see the same thing with the other princesses),and Outside too.and people care more about her Behavior than the other princesses:for example lalla meryem give speech in the Eleventh National Congress for Children's Rights and she was more than worst it was a Disaster she was unable to say the words correctlly, and nobody Said a word about it,in the same event she wasn't elegante at all I am sur that alot of Noticed that but mybye some thinks that it's not big deal or they thinks that it's just good to be there or mybye because she is not the first lady!! but when lalla salma give speech there were Many observations about it!! about how elegante she was or not...

Please let's not have this thread degenerate into a comparison between Lalla Salma and other Moroccan princesses. Some people think Lalla Salma is the first public/visible Moroccan princess while others disagree.
We've had enough comments for both sides on this topic and the discussion doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Let's move on to the topic of Lalla Salma's current events.

Thank you
Humera
Royal Family of Morocco Moderator

Little_star said:
That is not strictly true.

The King's sisters have been photographed in the past, just not very often. Moreover Lalla Hasna and Lalla Meryem are much more active and have far busier schedules than Salma. Compared to them her role at times can seem pointless.

Being the king's sister is the same as being the king's wife who until recently was not given a royal title or photographed.

Little_star said:
That is not strictly true.

The King's sisters have been photographed in the past, just not very often. Moreover Lalla Hasna and Lalla Meryem are much more active and have far busier schedules than Salma. Compared to them her role at times can seem pointless.

yes, I agree, thre is nothing new with salma, she hasn't more activities or responsibilities that meryme or hasna

lyndaW said:
Layla27, I agree she could and should do more...."but" this is a country that only recently allowed the royal woman to be photographed...i'm sure she needs to tread softly so she doesn't inadvertently undermine what her husband the King has been doing. And, perhaps he holds her in check so as not to antagonize v arious groups of people who want "no" changes. My sister was in Moracco several years ago and she found that she and her friends were not exactly welcome and had to be super careful.
I have read more on Morraco, and I agree she could do more, but this entire situation is so volatile, she may not want to strike the wrong match, remember Iran and the Shah...he moved too quickly and lost everything. At least the King and his Princess are trying.......

lyndaW said:
Layla27, I agree she could and should do more...."but" this is a country that only recently allowed the royal woman to be photographed...i'm sure she needs to tread softly so she doesn't inadvertently undermine what her husband the King has been doing. And, perhaps he holds her in check so as not to antagonize v arious groups of people who want "no" changes. My sister was in Moracco several years ago and she found that she and her friends were not exactly welcome and had to be super careful.
I agree with you lyndaW there is no doubt that she could and she must do more:she is the first lady of morocco still that this role is a new as you said and she is the first who play it and she should do that slow and without the other princess feel in danger and without being in collision with The traditions and the old protocol of monarchy her is age 1219 years old and don't admit the role of first lady it's not as easy as it Appears.
for the comparison I don't think that it's good idea to Compares her work with Lhasna or Lmeryem's work they were in the charity work before her many years ago lalla meryem was only 19 years old when she got her first dutie as princess and now she is 44 (you can imagine how much she done) so it's normal they did much more than her.

Times2222 said:
Being the king's sister is the same as being the king's wife who until recently was not given a royal title or photographed.
In the overall scheme of things Salma's role is more important and yet compared to her sister in laws her contribution is minor to say the least.

Being the first acknowledged queen (or princess if people prefer) is important but what is even more important is what she does with her position. At present she seems perfectly content to do the bare minimum which is very poor.

Little_star said:
In the overall scheme of things Salma's role is more important and yet compared to her sister in laws her contribution is minor to say the least.

Being the first acknowledged queen (or princess if people prefer) is important but what is even more important is what she does with her position. At present she seems perfectly content to do the bare minimum which is very poor.

Maybe they don't want to upset the older people (as in the people who didn't want Lalla Salma to be in the public eye and have a title) by letting her 'take it slowly' and maybe in the future it will be more. I don't think you can compare the situation of the Princess to any other. The King made her a Princess, but she's the first wife of a King to have a title, if they decide it would be for the best to take it slow, so be it.

(Just my opinion)

I think everyone needs to remember one thing:
Rania is the exception among Islamic consorts, not the rule.
Her visibility and many activities are not the norm. From my understanding, prior to Queen Alia, even Jordanian queens were not as active.

Lalla Salma is a trailblazer- she is in charge of a major charity, patron of several organizations, and a visible consort to the king.

We cannot judge the role of Lalla Salma through Western eyes, but only through the view of the history and current state of Morocco.

LadyK said:
I think everyone needs to remember one thing:
Rania is the exception among Islamic consorts, not the rule.
Her visibility and many activities are not the norm.
Sheikha Mozah, Shekiah Sabeeka, Sheikha Hind, Princess Haya there are plenty of active Royal muslim women out there. It is Lalla Salma's inactivity which is not the norm.......

LadyK said:
Lalla Salma is a trailblazer- she is in charge of a major charity, patron of several organizations, and a visible consort to the king.
Seriously what trails has she set ablaze? What has she done that is different, special or unique? She is patron of one charity only, has very few activities and does nothing that has not been done by her sister-in-laws before her.

LadyK said:
We cannot judge the role of Lalla Salma through Western eyes, but only through the view of the history and current state of Morocco.
Considering the variety of posters at this forum and the many many posters from Morocco on this board I think it is very unfair to refer to "Western eyes".

you are completely right, she isn't at all a precursor, I have more admiration for princess aicha (M6's aunt), who was ambassador in Italia
I would have to add that, I am not a western woman, I am from maghreb, and I find that lalla salma isn't a hard working lady, because in my country a lot of women have a very busy professional life with responsibilities (and I am one of them)

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Robijn said:
Maybe they don't want to upset the older people (as in the people who didn't want Lalla Salma to be in the public eye and have a title) by letting her 'take it slowly' and maybe in the future it will be more. I don't think you can compare the situation of the Princess to any other. The King made her a Princess, but she's the first wife of a King to have a title, if they decide it would be for the best to take it slow, so be it.

(Just my opinion)
I understand what you are saying and to some extent agree. However I sometimes get the impression that even some Moroccans would like Salma to be more active.

What I meant by trailblazing was that other Moroccan consorts were hidden- she is making steps. She heads a major charity, and serves as an international (representative, is that the word I'm looking for?) for Morocco.

Ok, yes, I was a mistaken about the consorts not doing as much, mostly because of the lack of pictueres (which I understand). My foot is in my mouth- I'll just post here again when I can say "oh what a pretty dress". :rolleyes: ;)

What I meant, was that it is nearly impossible to compare Lalla Salma to Mary, Letizia, Camilla, or other European royals because the different precedents in those countries.

My more important point is that comparing Lalla Salma to Queen Rania (in terms of their duties and such) is like comparing Crown Princess Mary and Princess Letizia - on the surface they are similar, but they are different women in different situations and we should respect them for that.

Little_star said:

my apologies, I meant that Salma's role is NOT the same as the royal princesses. She is the first wife of the king to have a public role so she needs to tread lightly. SHe is still young (mid 20s) and will have plenty of time to expand her role over time. I agree with other posters who say she will have time to feel her way to a more secure role. It has only been a few years and she had 2 babies in that time period as well. The royal princesses are older and were born into their roles.

LadyK said:
What I meant by trailblazing was that other Moroccan consorts were hidden- she is making steps. She heads a major charity, and serves as an international (representative, is that the word I'm looking for?) for Morocco.
Yes, in that viewpoint she is definitely doing soemthing different and positive.

LadyK said:
Ok, yes, I was a mistaken about the consorts not doing as much, mostly because of the lack of pictueres (which I understand). My foot is in my mouth- I'll just post here again when I can say "oh what a pretty dress". :rolleyes: ;)
Lol! Post what you like. However Sheikha Mozah's events are usually covered by photographers as are Sheikah Sabeekah's, both ladies have threads.

LadyK said:
What I meant, was that it is nearly impossible to compare Lalla Salma to Mary, Letizia, Camilla, or other European royals because the different precedents in those countries.

My more important point is that comparing Lalla Salma to Queen Rania (in terms of their duties and such) is like comparing Crown Princess Mary and Princess Letizia - on the surface they are similar, but they are different women in different situations and we should respect them for that.
Well, of course every monarchy is different I agree with you on that. However even amongst muslim monarchies female members are relatively active, some more than others, as Salma clearly demonstrates.

LadyK said:

We are not comparing Lalla Selma to Western princesses (i.e., Mary, letizia, etc) or even to Eastern ones ( Rania, etc.). Selma's work is comapred to the one of her sister in laws (who are moroccan princesses just like her) and to the work done by women in Morocco. I can guarantee you that thousands if not millions of married working women in Morocco are getting more work done than her. Just visit Casablanca and you will understand what I am talking about. Most people I know, think she needs to get more involved and start doing more (given her rank and her education).

I personally think that a lot of people here are unfair when it comes to princess Lalla Salma,when her sisters in law do the same "fashion mistakes" or make the same work as members of the royal family they don't have half of critics that she usually has,...and what about the third sister of the king ,princess lalla asmaa,is she lazy or less hard working than the other of her sister,imo ,i don't think so,i don't judge the quality of somebody's work on the amount of coverage of his activities and amount of pictures....,if i had to judge a work,so it's the work of the king as the effective head of state,and not of his wife of his sisters, i think they can just be an asset for him,give a positive image and make addition,i won't wait from them to be the champions in the story,and judging the situation in morocco from the begining of reign of the actual morocan king,i would say the statement is very positive,the economic growth is now more than 5% wich is rare nowadays,it even reached 7% on 2000 which was a record,and it was less than 2%before

I personally like Princess Lalla Salma, not for what she will wear or so,but for her real person as a brillant moroccan woman who had brillant career and who came from true moroccan society and from a modest family.

TamaraKhan said:
I personally think that a lot of people here are unfair when it comes to princess Lalla Salma ...

For your information Lalla Asmae (the king's third sister) is taking care of "handicapped kids". She is keeping a low profile, but she is working hard and people know it (so as you see, it is not about coverage, but about results).

As a princess, Lalla Selma needs to get more active. May be she privelages her family life, but in that case she didn't need the title of princess, she could have stayed the king's wife or the "mother of the princes" as they used to call it. She is young, smart, and well educated, so she can do more.

If after her graduation she married a commoner and got a job in the private sector as a software engineer, she would have worked on at least 4 diffrent projects in 5 years. But her only project as a princess was an association for cancer. It is a very good start. Morocco definitely needs to improve the health infrastructure, but she definitely needs and is capable of doing more than this.

Layla27 said:
For your information Lalla Asmae (the king's third sister) is taking care of "handicapped kids". She is keeping a low profile, but she is working hard and people know it (so as you see, it is not about coverage, but about results).

As a princess, Lalla Selma needs to get more active. May be she privelages her family life, but in that case she didn't need the title of princess, she could have stayed the king's wife or the "mother of the princes" as they used to call it. She is young, smart, and well educated, so she can do more.

If after her graduation she married a commoner and got a job in the private sector as a software engineer, she would have worked on at least 4 diffrent projects in 5 years. But her only project as a princess was an association for cancer. It is a very good start. Morocco definitely needs to improve the health infrastructure, but she definitely needs and is capable of doing more than this.

it's time that people make a distinction between working and parading before a camera. how can you possibly know that she isn't active??? if she was all the time on tv, people would say that she only does it to be popular..if she doesn't, then she isn't active enough.

i think whatever she does or doesn't, she will always be critised and i think it's unfair. there are a lot of other princesses in the whole world who don't even do a single thing.
give lalla salma a break. for me she does a great job!

morgeanne said:
it's time that people make a distinction between working and parading before a camera. how can you possibly know that she isn't active??? if she was all the time on tv, people would say that she only does it to be popular..if she doesn't, then she isn't active enough.

i think whatever she does or doesn't, she will always be critised and i think it's unfair. there are a lot of other princesses in the whole world who don't even do a single thing.

This is exactly what i want to say,people who critisize her should be fair and should know what they want from her,when she makes good job,it's called monopol and it's just for her own image,and when we don't see her a lot,so she's lazy and not hard working,i just gave the example of princess lalla asma,because i personally don't think that she's not doing good job as her two other sisters,even more interesting,i think we have to judge only results if she does some work.

I have the feeling that people find that it's a lot for her to be a princess because she comes from common people,and find in everything she's doing critics in a negative way,and the same people can find less interesting things done by the other princesses more interesting and fabulous....i call that being unfair,if we have to give our opinions,so we have to be fair and not to have two standards for our judgement.

TamaraKhan said:
This is exactly what i want to say,people who critisize her should be fair and should know what they want from her,when she makes good job,it's called monopol and it's just for her own image,and when we don't see her a lot,so she's lazy and not hard working,i just gave the example of princess lalla asma,because i personally don't think that she's not doing good job as her two other sisters,even more interesting,i think we have to judge only results if she does some work.

I have the feeling that people find that it's a lot for her to be a princess because she comes from common people,and find in everything she's doing critics in a negative way,and the same people can find less interesting things done by the other princesses more interesting and fabulous....i call that being unfair,if we have to give our opinions,so we have to be fair and not to have two standards for our judgement.

at last..someone who thinks like me :flowers:

morgeanne said:
There's no evidence that Salma is working behind the scenes though. Unlike other Royals whose activities we hear about even when they are not photographed. For example Sheikha Hind is fairly active (more so than Salma) and yet has never been photographed.

When Salma is not working, which is more often than she is working, there is no information of what she is doing.

morgeanne said:
Which princesses are they?

I can only think of the Saudis and Kuwaitis who place such restrictions and yet both countries have some fairly active Royal women, regardless of the restrictions placed upon them.

TamaraKhan said:
I think it's highly unfair and incredibly presumptous that you are making such assumptions about posters' motivations without even asking them.

Moreover it sounds like a very weak argument to me considering the huge numbers of commoner princesses these days.

Back
Top Bottom