Princess Lalla Salma's role in Morocco and the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
isis said:
why secetly?, In find that strange, because the sisters's king didn't make their activities secretly
We don't know why this is secretly, and that is the question the moroccan papers don't understand.
For example, in the Paris Match's report for CP Moulay Hassan's birthday, we saw her with his husband when he received foreign guests in his office. But in the moroccan official newspaper "Le Matin" they show the king receiving the same guests but the pic was not large enough to see that Lalla Salma was there !

Sometimes I see as they make one step ahead and one step back.
The fact that there is no courage to make a strong appearance in public, with a strong role in the society, reflects exactly the situtaion of women there: Women are not accepted yet to have a political role.
I hope the King M6 and Lalla Salma do something, because this will let whole society to see things differently and give women more and high responsabilities.

Last edited:
if lalla salma is the firt lady, there is no reason, to make a secret about her social activities
but is she the first lady, or solely the wife of the king?

to rosa

dear rosa,
yes lala salma is the first lady in morocco for the first time we can see the wife of the king that it was forbiden to see her her in the old times and what about activities we still have time to see mush of her activity because it s going to be first activity for a first queen of morocco.

I hope that salma will finally make her job of first lady of Morocco and that her presence on the associative live will not stop since the leave of Belgian sovereigns

well i dont think that lalla salma is going to make morocco better because the king is not working with her, she is only wones in the time on telivison.
and she isnt the first lady of morocco i believe that princess lalla maryam is the first lady she has a lot of procjets going on like unicef and the woman rights in morocco so we need to thank lalla maryam for the woman rights that we have know in morocco because of her the king mohammed 6 is making a ne law.

Does anyone think it likely King Mohammed/Muhammed VI take another wife in say five to seven years? If he is Sunni he can have up to two wives? Correct?

Akilah said:
Does anyone think it likely King Mohammed/Muhammed VI take another wife in say five to seven years? If he is Sunni he can have up to two wives? Correct?
He can have up to four.
But there are very specific circumstances in which a man can take more than one wife. I certainly hope he wont take another wife. Polygamy was allowed a long time ago during times of war. Many Islamic scholars agree it doesnt apply today. I dont see why a modern King like Muhammad would need another wife. Lalla Salma is a pretty woman and she's already given him a crown prince.

It is very unlikely. Polygamy has never been widespread in Morocco. Plus with the new family code, it has become very very restricted.

Akilah said:

If she is shy, I think she can start to appear in public at home (Morocco), by herself only, or with the king sisters, and not necessarly with foreign first ladies. There were many occasions for that and still there are many. And by doing so, she will gain more confidence and get use to public.
She does not have to be like a star every time when she makes public appearance, because people will remember more her work than her costumes.

But apart from being shy or not, any first lady who has social activities, is proud to help people who need help, and speaks about that,

I beleive also that being shy does not stop someone to be active.

There are many people who are shy (by nature) but they are very active !

Last edited by a moderator:
abir said:
If she is shy, I think she can start to appear in public at home (Morocco), by herself only, or with the king sisters, and not necessarly with foreign first ladies. There were many occasions for that and still there are many. And by doing so, she will gain more confidence and get use to public.
She does not have to be like a star every time when she makes public appearance, because people will remember more her work than her costumes.

But apart from being shy or not, any first lady who has social activities, is proud to help people who need help, and speaks about that,

I beleive also that being shy does not stop someone to be active.

There are many people who are shy (by nature) but they are very active !
why M6 chose this woman for wife?, I think that he chosen her precisely because she is shy and reserved (a journalist wrote that when she was girl, she didn't frequent anybody a part from her older sister), with a woman as salma, M6 is sure that she won't require him to have an important role to play and that she will be content with what he will want to give her
This light role of first lady, satisfy her, exactly because it corresponds to her personality
I think that if the king wanted that her wife has a more important role, he would have chosen a stronger woman than salma :)

do you think that lalla salma is the better first lady that moroccan people can have?
me I think that her sisters-in law are better, they are more active and more beautiful

isis said:
do you think that lalla salma is the better first lady that moroccan people can have?
me I think that her sisters-in law are better, they are more active and more beautiful

In the Moroccan popular class, salma is nicknamed the shrimp; that indicates in what esteem they hold her
I am certain that if the people felt that salma worrier of their problems, they have given her an a lot kinder nickname
For me salma is the example of what must not be a first lady, a potiche

isis said:
Moroccan women that I know are very much ambitious, even if they belong to different levels or different classes of the society, everyone with its needs and its expectations.

For me, P. Salma didn't shown any ambition, except receiving foreign first ladies and being wife of the king.

what more of an AMBITION do you want? she has already married the king of morocco, and she is in a way Queen. How much higher can one get??!!!!

777 said:
what more of an AMBITION do you want? she has already married the king of morocco, and she is in a way Queen. How much higher can one get??!!!!
I think that if the only ambition of salma was to live a luxury life it is gained
on the other hand, an intelligent woman would not be content herself with it and would like to be useful for the societe
she should be an example for Moroccans women, by showing them that a woman can be an spouse, a mom and to have an active life
for me lalla salma isn't a first lady

777 said:
I can understand “ambition to be a president, senator, or governor, since this requires hard and long work in democratic countries” but not “ambition to be a king or a queen”. You know this title is given only by heritage.

If you don’t know what social and humanitarian work can bring to people and change their lives, you will not see a much higher ambition than just being a king or a queen. We are in the 21st century; we don’t live anymore in the middle age, time of Aladdin and Sherazade.

Plus of that staying active is good for soul and brain!

I personally think Lalla Salma is one very lucky lady. She can concentrate taking care of the boy and not needing to always be under the spotlight. I suppose French education is more subtle toward women in general.

Lalla Salma is loved by her husband and her husband trying to give as much to her. She is well protected, and probably does not mind being that way. However I do think later in her life, Lalla Salma will take more important role and be more visible.

IMO, I find morocco princesses very attractive and beautiful-the way they carry themselves with long dresses, the discreet and charming manners-Lalla Meryem, Lalla Salma, Lalla Souknia, all in the different stage of their lives, but all very charming ladies.

May I ask why Lalla Salma is called a shrimp by the Moroccan people?
What does "Shrimp" illustrate?

I think she is unique and very pretty. SH ehas a unique beauty about her and I like that she is behind the scenes and not after the spotlight. A lot of ppl who talk about a problem and what outta be done, but it is pure rhetoric. It is not like those "bling bling" monarchs and leaders would ever stop shopping and give soem of that money to their communities and to the young ppl who have no resources to get a higher education and find jobs. Ok...i am waaayyyyy off. Sorry. But I respect Lalla Salma cuz she is pretty and a humble person/wife.

julial said:
May I ask why Lalla Salma is called a shrimp by the Moroccan people?
What does "Shrimp" illustrate?
That she is short in a disrespectful way.

To liliana,

Moroccan media publish the king and prince/princess activities as soon they appear to public. Don't say they don't. Just look for a small event "enaugurating a Hammam in casablanca", they considered a huge event. In other countries, this could be enaugurated by members of small association !

So if she is doing something, for sure the first one who will speak about that is the media, but the media doesnt't mention anything; simply because she does nothing.

Even her husband, muhamed VI said she is not working in any social project because she is still thinking.
Do you disagree with this?, do you know her better than her husband?

So don't base your comments on emotion!
There are many facts that are clear enough to say she is not working !

Telquel, moroccan magazine asked about that, they said that she didn't make any profil ... profil that ppl were waiting to see from her.

A great personne doesn't need media, because his/her work cross the borders.

Regarding Salma:

Do you think there could be pressure within the Royal Family that prevents Salma from stepping out? Maybe the King doesn't want her out in the public too much; I think he said in an article previously that there is no Queen in Morocco and maybe he feels that he must preserve tradition and prevent Salma from having any public role. Or it could be that the King's sisters don't want Salma to take on the role of first lady. After all, Meryam has carried on that role for so long maybe she doesn't want to give it up.

Couldn't these be plausible reasons for Salma's "disinterest" in public life? I can't imagine someone with her power, someone who has been handed the ability to bring about change, wanting to just sit around.

madonna23 said:
Regarding Salma:

Do you think there could be pressure within the Royal Family that prevents Salma from stepping out? Maybe the King doesn't want her out in the public too much; I think he said in an article previously that there is no Queen in Morocco and maybe he feels that he must preserve tradition and prevent Salma from having any public role. Or it could be that the King's sisters don't want Salma to take on the role of first lady. After all, Meryam has carried on that role for so long maybe she doesn't want to give it up.

Couldn't these be plausible reasons for Salma's "disinterest" in public life? I can't imagine someone with her power, someone who has been handed the ability to bring about change, wanting to just sit around.
Morocco is known that a first lady does not exist.Not recently but also in the past.For example, the kings mother never appeared in public adn had NO duties ever in the country, the daughters were always in the role of the first lady.The kings wife has no role past and present.He might not want her in public alot cause of the media attention and/or it was her deciscion to keep the sisters their role.
But he has changed some things though, by giving her the title "lala" and appearing in newspapers and at some openings.That NEVER used to happen.So if he could change some things he could of easily putten her the first lady, but he didnt.He wanted it to stay in the family as for salma she is an outsider who became a princess.

what salma inaugurated was not only a hammam, but a professional center for single mothers, I find her very courageous because she breaks a taboo in Morocco concerning the unmarried mothers, during the inauguration the journalists noted her sweetness and her kindness towards these young women
salma built a role for the king's woman, the king's sisters, make what made the sisters of hassan II, (I remind you that one of hassan II’s sister lalla Aicha was an ambassador in Italy)
It is always more difficult to be a precursor than to follows what others made before you,
and to be a precursor it is necessary to have a strong personality what lalla salma possess
I don't know why lalla salma is so much criticized, maybe because she has everything what woman dreams to have, beauty, intelligence, luxury, and her husband's love

liliana said:
I don't know why lalla salma is so much criticized,
if yourself ask this question. here is the answer: simply because not everyone think same way as you do ... and no one has power to force others to accept his opinion.
what you see is based on your backgroud and on your norms. others are different. can you accept this?
can you tell me: why do you want people think like you?
can you answer to this question?

liliana said:
I don't know why lalla salma is so much criticized, maybe because she has everything what woman dreams to have, beauty, intelligence, luxury, and her husband's love
MAybe cause not everyone see's her the same way you see her.How do you know she has everything?Dosnt mean she is a Kings's wife she has everything liliana.She might have the title but no money,s he might be kings wife but with no role she might be living in luxury and spending milions but does not have happiness...Everyone has beauty in a way, its not about apperence.beauty can be the way a person deals with things, how nice they are, the way they talk, walk, sit, reprsent themselfs.Many people live in luxury homes and in some very nice places.How do you know her husband loves her ?He might adore her, or just like her, or just married her without love so there is a hier to the throne.No one can answer this question.

Guess Who said:
MAybe cause not everyone see's her the same way you see her.How do you know she has everything?Dosnt mean she is a Kings's wife she has everything liliana.She might have the title but no money,s he might be kings wife but with no role she might be living in luxury and spending milions but does not have happiness...Everyone has beauty in a way, its not about apperence.beauty can be the way a person deals with things, how nice they are, the way they talk, walk, sit, reprsent themselfs.Many people live in luxury homes and in some very nice places.How do you know her husband loves her ?He might adore her, or just like her, or just married her without love so there is a hier to the throne.No one can answer this question.

I make this remark because the virulence of the subjects concerning salma is strange
She is a very young woman, of a middle background that bewitched by her beauty and intelligence a king, this woman is not absolutely usual at the life of palace, nor to society life, nor to be the center of attention of a whole country
she is pregnant just after her marriage, therefore unavailable during nine months, as soon as her baby born, she gets to work, she welcomes some heads of state, goes alone to Paris to participate in an official reception for childhood, inaugurate a center for single mothers
When journalists speak of her, they call her the beautiful computer engineer or the gorgeous princess, she is young and cheerful, and her smile is a sunbeam
And here, you don't find her attractive, she has the large forehead, a big nose, she is not elegant, and she doesn’t make anything, then I ask myself some questions and I wonder if you are objective, or if your judgment is altered by something
PS: you wonder if her husband loves her, why does he marry with her, then?, she is the daughter of a teacher, whereas he was surrounded by princesses and aristocrats, that dream to marry a king

the problem is you see only her. see what others first ladies do, u will see then the difference. she doesn't have charisma and feel she tries hard but it makes only worse that's evident in her makeup, style and excitement when she speaks
i read also her husband was going to marry a second wife 1-2 y ago. a woman told her. the husband of this one was fired of his job because of that.

liliana said:
I find her very courageous because she breaks a taboo in Morocco concerning the unmarried mothers,
“Hammam” that’s how a Moroccan magazine “Femmes du Maroc” call it.
Single mothers, it’s a taboo which was shown to the society by long hard years of work of Aicha Shenna (president of the association “solidarite feminine”) since 1985. salma was still a child!
Taboos don’t be broken so fast in one day. Plus of that, this taboo does still exist, single mothers situation is not solved yet.

Did you never heard about honorary roles without really be involved?

Zineb;
How do you can say that she is excited when she speaks, you are near her when he speaks
I didn't hear that the king wanted to take a second wife, besides, salma before her marriage required to be her unique wife and he accepted

Abir
Mrs. chenna, cannot give to her association the fame that gives it the princess salma by her only presence, it has sufficient that salma to move of it, that this association comes out of its anonymity and that the press speaks of it, salma have be able to choose another association, but she has chosen that one, what proves the strength of character of salma that doesn't care for the prejudices

Back
Top Bottom