Princess Lalla Salma's role in Morocco and the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with isis, all, finishes by being known
For me, she seems me relax and happy in public, therefore I think that she is well integrated in her new family

I’m sure no answer will be ever done to your satisfaction. Not at least with royal family.
You simply decided what lalla Salma should do. If she doesn’t do it the way you want her, you are calling her unaccustomed, sophisticated, enough discreet…..
Let’s look on the root of your problem. Tell me, why lalla Salma should be the one to go to Al Hoceima out of what responsibilities? Should all family forget about the rest of Morocco because of regional crises?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Mysterious@Jul 12th, 2004 - 10:10 am
I’m sure no answer will be ever done to your satisfaction. Not at least with royal family.
You simply decided what lalla Salma should do. If she doesn’t do it the way you want her, you are calling her unaccustomed, sophisticated, enough discreet…..
Let’s look on the root of your problem. Tell me, why lalla Salma should be the one to go to Al Hoceima out of what responsibilities? Should all family forget about the rest of Morocco because of regional crises?
I have been dumbfounded while reading your message, you call regional crisis, an earthquake that plunge into mourning whole population, people lost their next of kin, their houses, and some times everything that they possessed on earth, the tragedy was so big that from all over the world the humanitarian help rushed, it was not therefore a regional crisis but a national tragedy and the presence of the first lady of the country was more that desirable

rosa said:
I have been dumbfounded while reading your message, you call regional crisis, an earthquake that plunge into mourning whole population, people lost their next of kin, their houses, and some times everything that they possessed on earth, the tragedy was so big that from all over the world the humanitarian help rushed, it was not therefore a regional crisis but a national tragedy and the presence of the first lady of the country was more that desirable
While the earthquakes are always great tragedy and always touches all of us not just Moroccans but whole world, the leader has to stay in course and at the same time don’t forget about the rest of the country even in times of mournings.
Morocco didn’t get help from whole world, but some countries helped, some promised to help like Saudi Arabia but it stayed only with the promise.
An earthquake didn’t happed in all parts of Morocco but in North of Morocco that’s why it’s regional while the effect was not just national but international.
I don’t understand why is the presence of the first lady of the country more that desirable? Base on what? Your personal preferences?

Mysterious said:
While the earthquakes are always great tragedy and always touches all of us not just Moroccans but whole world, the leader has to stay in course and at the same time don’t forget about the rest of the country even in times of mournings.
Morocco didn’t get help from whole world, but some countries helped, some promised to help like Saudi Arabia but it stayed only with the promise.
An earthquake didn’t happed in all parts of Morocco but in North of Morocco that’s why it’s regional while the effect was not just national but international.
I don’t understand why is the presence of the first lady of the country more that desirable? Base on what? Your personal preferences?
if salma did not appear in public, the question would not ask itself, but we saw her attending receptions and to go to Paris in visit, it seems to me that when a drama touches her country, it would be normal that she is at the coasts of those which suffer
all the queens do that, why not salma

Originally posted by rosa@Jul 21st, 2004 - 1:34 pm
if salma did not appear in public, the question would not ask itself, but we saw her attending receptions and to go to Paris in visit, it seems to me that when a drama touches her country, it would be normal that she is at the coasts of those which suffer
all the queens do that, why not salma
In Paris, Salma was invited by Mrs Chirac and you know M6 is unable to say NO to Mr Chirac and explain him why he (and her sisters) don't want Salma to have social activities.
But in Morocco, he (Meryem in fact) is the cheef. She doesn't want to share anything with her, as Rania selfish attitude with Noor.

Originally posted by yazz@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 4:33 am
In Paris, Salma was invited by Mrs Chirac and you know M6 is unable to say NO to Mr Chirac and explain him why he (and her sisters) don't want Salma to have social activities.
But in Morocco, he (Meryem in fact) is the cheef. She doesn't want to share anything with her, as Rania selfish attitude with Noor.
but, why M6 doesn't want his wife have social activities, I can understand the attitude of Meryem if she doesn't want to share anything (because she is in the first position during several years and it is difficult for her to take her place), but the first lady now is salma and the king can explain this for his sister

ladies just for your information lalla Mereym is not working as first lady

rosa said:
but, why M6 doesn't want his wife have social activities, I can understand the attitude of Meryem if she doesn't want to share anything (because she is in the first position during several years and it is difficult for her to take her place), but the first lady now is salma and the king can explain this for his sister
Rosa, if anyone need some explanations, it is you. You simply do not understand the concept of royal and politic’ work.

I will bother myself (I really do not know why, because I already know it won’t help) to explain you the Princess Lalla Meryem situation.

For example: Princess Lalla Meryem is a goodwill ambassador for United Nation body Unesco. This position of hers has nothing to do with the fact that Morocco has a new first lady, or Princess Lalla Meryem being selfish (this is the most brainless suggestion I have heard), or with KM6 or with Princess Lalla Salma.

You need to learn and understand the concept of Princess Lalla Meryem work before you jump on your quick horse.

She does not started yet social activities, so we don't expect to see pictures of her !! In Paris-Match interview with the King Mohamed VI, he (and she) said that she looks for an activity where she can perfrom weell !!! until then no pictures !!! (sad)

Honestly, I do not know about that...My guess is Meriem is a born princess..she has been under spot since young age...Salma is new to the royal life....Besides, from what I observe Moroccan Royal family is more discret and do not expose themselves widely to the media as the JRF does....So, it is hard even to make deductions...maybe salma is cautious in her steps...do not know..

Maybe someone from Morocco can enlighten us...

Of course, Lalla Meryem she born princess and she is active since she was young but the first lady should be first lady. I can't undersand that there are no activities where she can perform well. She does not have to take over Lalla Meryem activities, since there are many OTHER things that can be done.
Lalla Salma is well educated with high academic degree, and it is petty to see her only attending festivals ....

For me it is not necessary to see her pictures often, the important is that she does a good job for moroccan people, and for people who need help. Don't tell me in a under-developped country it is difficult to find an activity where she can perform well. There are many areas where many things have to be done, and at the end she has just to give orders, the job will be done by others ...

like everyone she has good and bad days.
i like her and finds it exeptional that she's able to be seen. don't forget that previously, the wife of a King is never to be seen. She gives pride to all morrocan woman and is a great ambassador to our beauty. Her beauty is not typical I think but is still young and has time to work on her style and behaviour. remember that she is from a modest background, not born to be wife a ruler.

karima said:
like everyone she has good and bad days.
i like her and finds it exeptional that she's able to be seen. don't forget that previously, the wife of a King is never to be seen. She gives pride to all morrocan woman and is a great ambassador to our beauty. Her beauty is not typical I think but is still young and has time to work on her style and behaviour. remember that she is from a modest background, not born to be wife a ruler.

I saw much pics of salma, and on all she made errors of taste (clothing or make-up), I think that she has not good taste, she should have an adviser for her look
when with the beauty, I find that lalla meryem and lalla hasna are better ambassadresses of the Moroccan beauty, because for me lalla salma is not beautiful

I am not saying she has great tastes. I am emphasizing on the fact that she's young and still has time to learn.

Good god, yes, I hadn't seen the picture with the blue suit. it is odd. I actually find the top of the suit very pretty but the pants are not great...may be is she trying to be original.

she is supposed to have an advisor or a personal buyer....

1- she doesn't make anything for her country
2- she isn't pretty
2- she has a horrible taste
for me lalla salma is the less interessant princess

rosa said:
personally I do not say that salma must look like a top-model, but she is the fist lady and she must avoid resembling a parrot, to attend an homage give to old combatants dress in blue sky with violets shoes shows (in my opinion)the desire to be the center of attention and I find that ridiculous
Maybe she doesn't want to be the center of attention. She could simply just have bad taste.

Logically, since she does not appear to public often, she has then to be carefuly when she does.

But maybe because of this reason, she is extravagante in colors, make-up, jewerly (specially the big earrings !) when she appears.

Isabel said:
Maybe she doesn't want to be the center of attention. She could simply just have bad taste.
lalla salma is an intelligent woman who made brilliant studies, she knows that a homage made to old combatants and people died in the war is a very serious thing and that to get dressed as thatis a less of respect

For me, lalla salma is cute but she lack of grace, I also think that her way to dress reflects her personality, I see her, like a vivid woman with strong personality, she doesn't have good taste that is sure, but she doesn't seem to worry about the critics that it is bring her (I am certain that her sisters-in-law make him remarks on her way to dress), me, I find her interesting and I am curious to see if she will manage to impose herself within her in-law, and if in the future she can affirm her statute of first lady (for the meantime it is not the case)

Well, I think people in Morocco will be happy if the first lady has a strong personality.
If she is, she could be active since she married, but she does not.

For me, her way to dress, reflects that she cares only about herself, not about people around her.
Hope this will change in future.

I know that for years the wife of the King of Morocco was hardly ever seen if even seen at all. I know that some have said that this may be the reason why Lalla Salma doesn't appear often, but she does appear. Look at how many photos we have of her. I really think that if she is going to appear in public at certain times then she could begin to do so on a more regular basis. The things of the past are just that-the past. When Salma appears in public, I haven't heard of anyone condeming it. On the contrary, most people are interested in seeing her because of the gaps that sometimes exist in her appearances.

When I consider all of the obligations and public functions of her sisters-in-law, I can't help but wonder why Salma has not taken it upon herself to create more of a royal for the wife of the King of Morocco. Isn't it time that she set a precedent in our modern times?

I think that it now time for her to lend her name and her hand to certain charities and organizations in both her home and abroad. Salma is an intelligent and well educated woman. Surely she can be more of an asset to her family and her country. I don't know what is behind her extremely low profile, but it is disappointing to not see her put any of her talents to use or to use her position in Morocco to make more differences.

I agree with you.
The country is seeing many changes specially on woman status, and the fact that Lalla Salma does not have yet an active role in the Moroccan society does not reflect the expected changes.
So, I think she can do more to be an idol for her people.

Last edited:
abir said:
Well, I think people in Morocco will be happy if the first lady has a strong personality.
If she is, she could be active since she married, but she does not.

For me, her way to dress, reflects that she cares only about herself, not about people around her.
Hope this will change in future.

I find you unjust towards this princess, how you can tell that she doesn't worry about the other and that she only takes care of her even, she comes from the middle background and she is not accustomed at princess's life, in more her sisters-in-law monopolize all social works, I think that it must be very difficult for her, she is young and impose herself as first lady is not easy thing, me, she makes me the pain because, she is always compare to the other princesses and always to her detriment (not pretty, no taste, don't make anything)
Don’t be then so sure of you and ask yourself what you would have made in her place

In this forum, we just make comments not judgements !
The way how she dress is extravagante, and people are not waiting to see the princess with lavish clothes and jewerly, they are waiting her work and an active role in the society.
You know well what people are waiting for, don't you?

In an under-developped country like Morocco, they are enough activities for all princesses, so it is just a surprise that she can't found something to do for her people :rolleyes:

And if you didn't follow since the begining, we start the comments after her last appearance with blue sky suit and violet shoes to comemorate 80 000 Moroccans who die to liberate France, in the name of Morocco.
You can put yourself in her place, and see how you will dress if you really care about people who died and older people who were there ;)

You can give many execuses for her as you like... but just wait and see if she will change. And if she does, I will be very happy, don't you?

Last edited:
abir said:
In this forum, we just make comments not judgements !
The way how she dress is extravagante, and people are not waiting to see the princess with lavish clothes and jewerly, they are waiting her work and an active role in the society.
You know well what people are waiting for, don't you?

In an under-developped country like Morocco, they are enough activities for all princesses, so it is just a surprise that she can't found something to do for her people :rolleyes:

And if you didn't follow since the begining, we start the comments after her last appearance with blue sky suit and violet shoes to comemorate 80 000 Moroccans who die to liberate France, in the name of Morocco.
You can put yourself in her place, and see how you will dress if you really care about people who died and older people who were there ;)

You can give many execuses for her as you like... but just wait and see if she will change. And if she does, I will be very happy, don't you?
lalla salma is inelligente, cute and she live a life of dream, then that
pokes the jealousies
if she has bad taste this not a crime,
and the problems of the moroccan people this not to of her to find solutions
her role consists to take a beautiful image of the Moroccan woman, and I am sur that she will do it because she is brilliant and deliciouse, we understand easily why the king love her, she is an exceptionnal lady

liliana said:
I find you unjust towards this princess, how you can tell that she doesn't worry about the other and that she only takes care of her even, she comes from the middle background and she is not accustomed at princess's life, in more her sisters-in-law monopolize all social works, I think that it must be very difficult for her, she is young and impose herself as first lady is not easy thing, me, she makes me the pain because, she is always compare to the other princesses and always to her detriment (not pretty, no taste, don't make anything)
Don’t be then so sure of you and ask yourself what you would have made in her place
I have to disagree on one point. There is no such thing as monopolozing social works. If too many people want to lend their name to a cause and want the majority of the responsibility then here is what you do: Start your own charity. For the wife of the King of Morocco, I would think that this wouldn not be very difficult.

abir said:
The country is seeing many changes specially on woman status, and the fact that Lalla Salma does not have yet an active role in the Moroccan society does not reflect the expected changes.
So, I think she can do more to be an idol for her people.
I don’t know much about Maroccan, their royal family life and history so excuse me if I give wrong comment. In my opinion the speed of society changing does not automatically affect to royal family tradition (as I notice that most royal house wants to keep their tradition as original as possible) the very good example is Japan royal family. I think Marocco royal house has noticed what people expect from their princess consort then they give her a chance to appear more and more in public and by the time they will give more serious duties for her. Royal tradition sometime needs time to be changed completely. I can not compare Lalla salma appearance in public with the previous princess consort because I don’t have any information about her.

Last edited:
I read in a moroccan newspaper AS-SABAH that she has social activities. For example, on august the 7th she visited secretly the whole services of the "Hopital du 20 aout".
But it was not related in the official newspaper "Le Matin".

yazz said:
I read in a moroccan newspaper AS-SABAH that she has social activities. For example, on august the 7th she visited secretly the whole services of the "Hopital du 20 aout".
But it was not related in the official newspaper "Le Matin".
why secetly?, In find that strange, because the sisters's king didn't make their activities secretly

Back
Top Bottom