Media reports: Divorce for King Mohamed VI and Princess Lalla Salma

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a pity that this happened. What will happen now to Princess Lalla Salma? Where will you live? Will the Royal House officially confirm the divorce?

Sad news. That certainly explains why Lalla Salma had not been seen at public events for some time.

Oh, how very sad...
is this confirmed?
And what will happen to her now?
what about the children? They have 2, correct?
BYe Bine

I suspected something was up when she wasn't at the King's bedside after his heart operation. It is sad.

Woooow that's shocking and need official confirmation.
just couple of month ago they wear shopping pet for Lalla khadija!!!!

If true, the news rendered me speechless. It is unfortunate that we shall not see Lalla Salma attending events on behalf of the Moroccan royal family.

Last edited:
For me it's not suprising, knowing some rumors about the King himself.
But it's a sad news indeed, she represented her country with elegance and was a wonderful role model for many women in Morocco.

What a shocking news!! Must be very sad and difficult for their children.

Do you think the royal palace will confirm it?

:previous:
i think Palace need to make a statement to confirm or deny divorce is a serious matter Imo.

Last edited:
Really shocking and sad, if true. The rumors about the King have always been there therefore I’d never have thought of divorce, especially in absolute power RFs where there is less press intrusion you can be separated and remain legally married at the same time, strengthen the family unit.

Divorce in Muslim countries is seen very differently than in Christian societies.

Really shocking and sad, if true. The rumors about the King have always been there therefore I’d never have thought of divorce, especially in absolute power RFs where there is less press intrusion you can be separated and remain legally married at the same time, strengthen the family unit.
And that what make it littel unbelievable moreover the Alaouite kings never divorce it's known that they can't have a divorce once married and over the history no king did,maybe separation maybe taking another wife but not divorce...this is a first in MRF if news is true

Quite frankly I am surprised the poor woman lasted as long as she did, given the rumors.:ermm:

Is she permitted to re-marry?

That's a pretty drastic step!
Their relationship must have been pretty strained.

Forgive my ignorance, what rumors are we talking about? You can PM me, if you prefer not to mention it here.

Since I presume there is no precedence in Morocco, are there any suggestions as to what will happen to the Queen? I assume she will lose her title as queen at least.

I'm profoundly saddened by this, not just for the parties most directly involved, and their children, but for Morocco itself, and especially for its Women.
The Princess who has cut a fine balance between the traditional and the modern, has been especially active on their behalf and has raised their profile considerably.
Doubtless she will disappear from public view, and we will lose an elegant and thoughtful woman from the 'Royal scene'..

Their relationship must have been pretty strained.

Forgive my ignorance, what rumors are we talking about? You can PM me, if you prefer not to mention it here.

Since I presume there is no precedence in Morocco, are there any suggestions as to what will happen to the Queen? I assume she will lose her title as queen at least.
Let's just say that because of certain rumours regarding the King's personal life that has lead some to see his marriage as one of convenience instead of love.

Last edited:

Actually she was never given the title of Queen but was made a Princess when she married the King.
Her titles after a divorce will be a decision of the King as well.

Let's just say that because certain rumours regarding the King's preferences his marriage has been seen as a marriage of convenience instead of love.

Preferences?
Eeeeeh....???
Is it what I am thinking about?:eek::eek::eek:

Let's just say that because certain rumours regarding the King's preferences his marriage has been seen as a marriage of convenience instead of love.

Thanks. ?

Actually she was never given the title of Queen but was made a Princess when she married the King.
Her titles after a divorce will be a decision of the King as well.

I see. That will be interesting.

Preferences?
Eeeeeh....???
Is it what I am thinking about?:eek::eek::eek:

I think so...

Not the first time such an issue has occurred in monarchies though.

We have the preferences we have from nature and so be it. In dynastic families that can of course present certain problems - which today can be overcome by other means. Children-wise I mean.

But the main problem is of course that a monarchy today is very much a team effort. And from what I understand Princess Lalla Salma was supposed to be the other half of such a team, hence the reason why she was made a public figure.
That means it's even more crucial that they maintain at certain facade of being a married couple - in every definition of the word.

If I am to speculate I think it was Princess Lalla Salma who gave up. It's one thing being in a marriage with someone who is unable find you wholly physically attractive. That might be overcome, I assume, if she felt genuinely loved and appreciated and not least treated as a partner.
There are plenty of examples of working royal marriages where the physical attraction was not present. But it takes a lot of mutual respect and consideration to make it work as a team. In the sense that if one side is pursuing his/her preferences it has to be discreet in order not to offend the spouse too much. And the spouse has to make an extraordinary effort in order to look away.
If that mutual balance is broken - disaster.
And that I suspect is what happened here.

What will be the public reaction, you think? Because the Moroccan people will of course also be aware of "rumors".
Will Princess Lalla Salma face the full wrath of the public you think? She "let down" her husband, King, dynasty, country.

I suspected something was up when she wasn't at the King's bedside after his heart operation. It is sad.

I actually refeted to that too when I did not
See her in the photo but it still un official

Quite frankly I am surprised the poor woman lasted as long as she did, given the rumors.:ermm:

Is she permitted to re-marry?

Nothong in islamic laws or civil laws prevent
Her from marriage unless the king uses his powrt to prevent her from doing that

Last edited:
Divorce in Muslim countries is seen very differently than in Christian societies.

could you tell us more?
is this the first divorce that takes place in a muslim monarchy?

shame about what happened, but they still lasted married 16 years. given the 'rumours' and the king's health concerns, that probably all took its toll, but still 16 years is probably not bad for a couple who has so much responsibility and media attention.

i wonder what will happen now regarding salma's titles and also her representation. my guess is that we will still see some of her supporting her causes and that she will keep her titles.

Talking about the potential role of potential feelings due to a potential preference in a potential divorce seems rather far-fetched. Let's not get too carried away with writing down potential -and most likely imaginary- scenario's and show some restraint when discussing this subject, especially as the news has not been confirmed yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom