Media reports: Divorce for King Mohamed VI and Princess Lalla Salma

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
could you tell us more?
is this the first divorce that takes place in a muslim monarchy?

shame about what happened, but they still lasted married 16 years. given the 'rumours' and the king's health concerns, that probably all took its toll, but still 16 years is probably not bad for a couple who has so much responsibility and media attention.

i wonder what will happen now regarding salma's titles and also her representation. my guess is that we will still see some of her supporting her causes and that she will keep her titles.

Shocking news. I guess maybe because I haven't heard the 'rumors' about the king. Salma is an incredible representative for women in her country, and I do hope they find some way for her to continue doing so.

Certainly isn't the first divorce in a Muslim monarchy. Not even in the Moroccon royal family, though first I believe for a prince to be divorced. One of the king's sisters Meryam is divorced.

Jordan certainly has seen its share:
-King Hussein was divorced from his first 2 wives. Both were made princesses after divorce. Dina remarried and was unable to see her daughter for some time. Toni/Muna has remained in Jordan, and continues to do work with the charities she was involved in.
-his son Hamzah is divorced from his first wife- his wife was born a Princess, she simply reverted back to her original name
-Faisal has been divorced twice

I know the current ruler of Saudi Arabia has been divorced at least once.

Hopefully we will see the same as in Jordan, with Muna that she be allowed to continue a roll with her charities and promoting her work. At least as long as she doesn't remarry.

Not sure this was one of the reasons why the state visit from Spain was postponed several times, plus the health problems.
Several years ago I did a group tour to Morocco with a Moroccan living in the Uk as a tour guide and I know a native Moroccan from work, both men spoke quite openly about the fact that the King is not really interested in women but what can he do since he needs an heir. Therefore I am very surprised if the drastic action of divorce will really be taken since the facts were the same 16 years ago and there are different ways to handle this.
I understand it is a sensitive matter, I always thought that the ‘rumous’ were kind of common knowledge, similar to Oman and Sultan Qaboos, who cares what people, even leaders, are doing behind closed doors, things are the way they are and life goes on.

The last Shah of Iran was divorced also. It's still a shock if the news is true about the Moroccan divorce. I hope we may learn from official sources as speculation only continues to grow.

Not sure this was one of the reasons why the state visit from Spain was postponed several times, plus the health problems.
Several years ago I did a group tour to Morocco with a Moroccan living in the Uk as a tour guide and I know a native Moroccan from work, both men spoke quite openly about the fact that the King is not really interested in women but what can he do since he needs an heir. Therefore I am very surprised if the drastic action of divorce will really be taken since the facts were the same 16 years ago and there are different ways to handle this.
I understand it is a sensitive matter, I always thought that the ‘rumous’ were kind of common knowledge, similar to Oman and Sultan Qaboos, who cares what people, even leaders, are doing behind closed doors, things are the way they are and life goes on.

Becomes a bit sticky if true, when such behavior, even behind closed doors, is illegal in set country.

In most countries, the only people who have the right to be bothered would be the spouse involved. Becomes a bit touchy when the ruler of the country may or may not be doing something that would land other men up to 3 years in prison.

Of course you are right, I was only referring to the rumors as kind of common knowledge to the public for a long time hence a divorce at this stage seems very odd to me. And of course it’s not right that some things are ok for some but illegal for others.

Divorce, no matter where it happens or to who it happens is never an easy thing. Do we really need to know the inside scoop of the wherefores and the whys of this divorce? Does it actually affect the country and its people much or is it more delving into the personal affairs of two people that have chosen to end their marriage?

I would say yes it would greatly effect a country when it has laws about certain behaviors and the leader of the country is suspected of engaging in said behaviors (that can imprison or lead to death of other citizens).

Whether it should or not is a different issue. It's a Muslim country and they have laws about certain types of conduct.

LaRae

Actually Osipi nothing is confirmed and nothing is sure an article in Hola no matter what their sources are hardly a confirmation for anything especially there was no news or remours or anything about any kind of troubles in marriage untile two months ago hella article claim King and Lalla Salla was not seen toghether since Cuba trip with is fasle last time they were seen together was last december they were shopping for pet anf there is a video...they also claim Lalla Salma didn't visit the King in hospital again false there pictures of king living the hospital with big entourage among them his sisters and wife according to who took the pictures..once of the photos show a woman helping the king into car and it was Lalla Salma.

If you ask anyone here in Morocco they will answeer nooooo way kings in Morocco don't get divorce no matter what they can live separated but no divorce let me add as Moroccan ppl here act toward the news as only remours in absense of any official confirmation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the perspective Mademoiselle Lilo and until there is actual confirmation that this couple has indeed, divorced, everything else is just rumor.

Last edited:
I would say yes it would greatly effect a country when it has laws about certain behaviors and the leader of the country is suspected of engaging in said behaviors (that can imprison or lead to death of other citizens).

Whether it should or not is a different issue. It's a Muslim country and they have laws about certain types of conduct.

LaRae
I don't see how speakinh as moroccan,what is mater now for alot of moroccan is the King health that what could affect the country.

It would possibly affect the country by losing a prominent and internationally recognized female figurehead in Lalla Salma, she has done a lot of work (her own foundation on cancer, music festival etc) and was also well known abroad, attending most royal weddings.

KM could have kept her in the shade as it had been custom in Morocco before but he made the marriage public, gave Lalla Salma the title of princess and let her pursue her own fields of interest in full view of the public.

So I guess a divorce would indeed have an effect on various charity projects of the country and the international representation of the royal house, even though all this can easily be covered by another family member, Lalla Salma was well known and recognized, also for her looks and fashion.

:previous:
in that matter i totally agree with you it will be a great lose for Morrocco and the monarchy Lalla Salma some how has softened the face of an old denasty her work inside and outside Morocco will be affected because of a divorce

Is divorce in Morocco regulated by sharia law or by some secular (European-based) form of civil law ?

Divorce in Islam is much simpler procedure than in Christianity. It's not encouraged but completely permitted.

"Of all the lawful acts, the most detestable to Allah is divorce."

I suppose Princess Lalla Salma did her duty in providing an heir and being a great first lady to Morocco both locally and internationally. She might not have worked "as hard" as some royals, her clothes might have been too luxurious for an economically-challenged country such as Morocco, but she pushed the barriers, paved the way for women, and set an example for consorts to follow in Morocco. I think if the rumors are true, she'll definitely leave a void behind her.

I suppose she will keep her title as a princess, she is, after all, the mother of the future king. And I hope she will continue to be an advocate for her charities and support the causes she's been supporting for 16 years. I'm also guessing the palace might at some point announce the divorce, but the princess will not address the matter at all.

I hope the children are okay with the separation if it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
El monde newspaper has mentioned the
Divorce too

:previous: No denial then? Aha!

So can we consider it undirect confirmation?

:previous:
No, because the spokeman did not confirm nor deny the news. I think we still have to wait for an official confirmation or denayal from the palace.

El monde newspaper has mentioned the
Divorce too
actually El mondo was among the first spanish pappers who started the remours and speculation even before Hola Magazine.

Mr Khalfi can not have any talk about this matter without the Palace permission as usually sush matter its the Palace only who confirm or deny..so i wont read anything from his resonse today.

My feeling is that there will probably be no formal announcement from the Royal Court.

The refusal-after several days of international media speculation- to issue an indignant denial that their King and his wife have divorced or will divorce is as "official" as it gets.

Lalla Salma is a stunning and impressive woman. She was and is a credit to Morocco and to Mohammed VI.

It will be very unfortunate for both king and country to lose her, imo.:sad:

It is really sad how the king and his three sisters got divorced I hope prince Rachid and
Lalla oum kelthoum avoid that

My feeling is that there will probably be no formal announcement from the Royal Court.

The refusal-after several days of international media speculation- to issue an indignant denial that their King and his wife have divorced or will divorce is as "official" as it gets.

Lalla Salma is a stunning and impressive woman. She was and is a credit to Morocco and to Mohammed VI.

It will be very unfortunate for both king and country to lose her, imo.:sad:
I agree , however we might wait for the next
Official visit to make sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Not knowing a lot about King Mohamed I was surprised to read the 'news' if it's true - I rather like Lalla Salma. I guess we'll have to wait until a public appearance or announcement from the RF.

Still shocked about the rumours ... Hopefully the couple has reached an amicable agreement to live separately.

It is really sad how the king and his three sisters got divorced I hope prince Rachid and
Lalla oum kelthoum avoid that

I agree , however we might wait for the next
Official visit to make sure

Spain is eager to find a date for the postponed State Visit to Morocco, certainly in KM's interest. When is health is good enough, it will take place and we'll find out then.

Really shocking and sad, if true. The rumors about the King have always been there therefore I’d never have thought of divorce, especially in absolute power RFs where there is less press intrusion you can be separated and remain legally married at the same time, strengthen the family unit.

which rumors?

It's already being discussed in previous posts, have a look.

I remember that at the time there were discussions even on this forum that KM actually did kind of an assessment center of women who were suitable for the role as wife of the king, and if true, Lalla Salma was a perfect match. Apart from the fact that a heir needs to be provided, she looks great, has personality, is a commoner = helps KM's image as man of the people, puts Morocco on the map as progressive with Lalla Salma's as ambassador for a good cause and in the royal world.
Maybe now she has outrun the course, who knows. A great loss on many levels, if true.

i am also a believer that maybe this was probably the cause of suspending the spanish visit some weeks back. there is a degree of informality and friendship between the two houses that would have allowed for more 'intimate reasons' to be used as excuses to postpone. still surprising though.

Certainly isn't the first divorce in a Muslim monarchy. Not even in the Moroccon royal family, though first I believe for a prince to be divorced. One of the king's sisters Meryam is divorced.

you are right, i should have thought about the many cases of divorce in jordan and in morocco. i know his sisters are divorced, but given they are women (and morocco is still a men's country), i was trying to think of examples of high-ranking men divorcing. i had to look no further than jordan or saudi. i guess then it is no big deal to divorce even in muslim countries - there is clearly still tolerance towards it or otherwise it would not have been announced or 'leaked' to the press (they would have continued separate lives without a formal divorce).

It's already being discussed in previous posts, have a look.

I remember that at the time there were discussions even on this forum that KM actually did kind of an assessment center of women who were suitable for the role as wife of the king, and if true, Lalla Salma was a perfect match. Apart from the fact that a heir needs to be provided, she looks great, has personality, is a commoner = helps KM's image as man of the people, puts Morocco on the map as progressive with Lalla Salma's as ambassador for a good cause and in the royal world.
Maybe now she has outrun the course, who knows. A great loss on many levels, if true.

interesting - wonder how true this is. i guess if that were the case then this makes a divorce highly likely - a well educated, poised woman marrying in some sort of arranged marriage sounds to me like it is not a sustainable solution.

Back
Top Bottom