Vietnam: the Imperial Nguyen and earlier dynasties

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perillos

Commoner
Country
United States
This is my first post to Les Tribunes Royales. I am Timoléon de Carmain-Périllos, Special Assistant to His Imperial Highness Prince Nguyen-Phuc Buu Chanh of Vietnam, Duke of Kien Hoa, General Secretary of the Imperial Family Overseas Council (Paris) and President of the Vietnamese Constitutional Monarchist League (USA).

For anyone interested in learning about Vietnam's large and historic Imperial House, I off the following links:

The Vietnamese Constitutional Monarchist League:

http://www.geocities.com/vietmonarchy/intro.html

The Imperial Order of the Dragon of Annam:

http://www.orderofthedragon.homestead.com

The Royal Ark - extensive article on the Imperial Nguyen Dynasty:

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Vietnam/annam.htm

I am very pleased to be here to represent the Vietnamese Imperial House, and will endeavour to answer any questions that readers may have.

With my best wishes -

Hey Perrilos

i've been looking everywhere to find information on the Vietnamese exiled royal family and i'm soooo relieved that i found you!!! Being of Vietnames background myself i have always found myself fasinated about the Vietnamese Royal family....
can you answer these following questions please??? ^___^

- i read that the last Vietnamese Emperor went into exile in France and that he married a French lady and had kids, where are they today? are they still residing in France? what is the chances of the Nguyen Dynasty coming back into reign???...basically can you tell me all you know about them ^__^ it'd be much appreciated!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...can you verify me...my dad told me that the last Vietnames emperor died a few years ago in France...and from what i have read from the site you have recommended there is still an Emperor...one who grew up in Vietnam and was educated there.....the emperor i have in mine was the 'puppet' emperor of the French who was educated in France and married a French lady...hmz not i'm confused.... :blink:

Reply - Hello

Hello I'm in one of the branches of the dynasty. I live in the U.S. You can find out more at wikipedia. Type in Bao Dai -- it has some info on his marriage and relocation to France. Google has images of them if you are curious. The New York Times has an obituary on Bao Dai that is easy to find using google.

The last Vietnamese Emperor was Bao Dai who died and is buried in France. His predecessor (Emperor Khai Dinh) is buried in a magnificent tomb in Hue, a beautiful combination of French and Vietnamese styles. His predecessor (Duy Tan) died in a plane crash over Africa after World War II. His remains have since been moved back to Vietnam and laid in the tomb of his grandfather (Nguyen Duc Duc). His predecessor (Thanh Thai) was allowed to return to Vietnam after WW2 but was kept under house arrest and died not long after. He was buried in the tomb of his father (Duc Duc). His predecessor (Dong Khanh -father of Khai Dinh and grandfather of Bao Dai) died and was buried in his own tomb in Hue. His predecessor (Ham Nghi) had been exiled to Algeria and was buried in France. In 2002 the Vietnamese government broached the subject of moving his remains to Vietnam (he led a rebellion against the French as Duy Tan tried to so they are more 'politically correct' with the communist government) but his descendants turned down the offer. He had married a French lady as did the last Emperor Bao Dai though of course that was long after he was no longer emperor.

Hello:

I am looking for information on the lineage regarding how each Emperor of the Later Le Dynasty was interrelated. Any ideas where I can find this?

Also, the last Hong Emperor lost his kingdom due to giving his daughter to a neighboring king causing another ruler to overthrow the Hong Emperor. Did the new Emperor capture or otherwise acquire the princess?

thank-you

This information has been very helpful and interesting. I am doing a school history assignment on the impact of the French in Vietnam so the links on Bao Dai are very helpful.

regarding Le Dynasty

For the Le Dynasty question, does googling "Tran Dinh" help?

RE: the Order of the Dragon of Annam

How many people have been awarded the order since its restoration in '02? Are appointments announced on certain days like other orders that are the personal gift of the Monarch? (eg. the Order of the Garter is announced on 23 April)

There has been very little activity since the "restoration" -mostly internet activity even then. From those listed as recipients most seem to be "vanity awards"; given to friends and friends of friends, many if not most having nothing at all to do with Vietnam. This is fairly common amongst the lesser-known dynasties-in-exile, one little known group exchanging certificates with another little known group. The actual offspring of the last Emperor have shown little to no interest in any of this sort of gong-collecting. Those who wanted them pushed for the restoration in order to get them and then exchange with groups like the Ethiopians to further enlarge their collection of initials after their names.
:vietnamflag::napoleon:

Some could argue that legitimate ruling houses do the same.

I am very pleased you have posted this information about the Vietnamese Imperial House, Tradition and Family.

August 25 is the anniversary of the day in 1945 that the last Emperor of Viet Nam, Vua Bao Dai, formally abdicated. He dressed in his imperial dragon robes (which he did not enjoy wearing) and read out his edict of abdication from the balcony over the Ngo Mon gate to the Forbidden City and handed over the imperial sword and seal to the envoys of Ho Chi Minh and the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam. In his abdication edict he said he would prefer to live as a citizen in a free country than as a king in an enslaved country. After that ceremony, the imperial flag was lowered and replaced by the red flag and the former Emperor became "Citizen Nguyen Vinh Thuy". He said later he wanted to shout, "finally free!". He then went to Hanoi to serve as an advisor to the new government. He wrote that everyone treated him with great respect but with no real job he soon left the country to live in Hong Kong until the French arranged his return to lead their opposition state in South Vietnam. Anyway, the thousands of years of monarchial history and the reign of the Nguyen dynasty that began in 1802 ended - August 25, 1945.
:vietnamflag:

Last edited:
Bones,
Thank you so much for sharing so interesting info about the Nguen dynasty!
I had no idea the emperor had abdicted, I thought he was deposed.
Thanks again!

His abdication was official but he was effectively deposed. The Allied powers had already ignored his earlier declaration of independence, the VietMinh were in control of the north and central regions of the country and when they demanded his abdication he had little choice but to agree. Some advised fleeing to the imperial tombs but he feared he would end up like Louis XVI. The Japanese garrison offered to defend the Forbidden City but he also refused to, as he put it, 'use foreign troops to spill the blood of my people'. It is also interesting that for a monarch generally considered unpopular his abdication speech was so moving that the VietMinh suppressed it for fear that it would inspire loyalty for the monarchy.
:vietnamflag:

Vietnam Royalty Court Dress

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum. I am interested in court dress pertaining to the above. I see a lot of images of the old kings wearing court dress similar to the Imperial Qing Dynasty. There are variations. For example, are there any clear pictures of the summer court hat adorned with jewels out there?

Are there also any good references to the costumes of the palace guards?

Rgds Victor

Actually, I'm not sure I am posting this into the right thread. I have not found the thread about not-Nguen emperors of Viet Nam...

A huge 20-meter statue of the Viet Nam national hero - Emperor Quang Trung (1753-1792) - was unveiled in Hue. The peasant by origin Emperor Quang Trung was the leader of the Tay Son uprising. He had vanquished the Chinese Qing army in 1788. He was crowned as an Emperor and became one of the most popular rulers of Viet Nam.
This is the second monument of the Emperor Quang Trung. The first one was built in Hanoi in 1989.
Statue of Emperor Quang Trung unveiled in Hue
Emperor's statue inaugurated in Hue
A film about the Emperor will be shot
Manifest of Emperor Quang Trung - AsiaFinest forum
More data about Emperor Quang Trung - AsiaFinest forum

King Le Du Tong has been reburied in a formal ceremony by the Vietnamese communist government two days ago after his remains were unearthed 52 years ago by farmers in the province of Thanh Hoa in central Vietnam.
Le Du Tong was the 22nd king of the Le dynasty and reigned from 1705 to 1728, a period of general prosperity for the country. Since 1964 the monarch's remains were kept at the Vietnam History Museum before the reburial on the 23rd with the ceremony presided over by Buddhist clerics and surviving descendants of the Le Dynasty.
An article - MYsinchew.com
Another one with tiny photo - France24
Twitter RFI

Nguyen Dynasty

Google books is a good resource.

Also - the book "The last emperors of Vietnam: from Tu Duc to Bao Dai" By Oscar Chapuis. It's available on google books, limited preview, and is helpful if one is looking for info on nephew-uncle relationships in the genealogy.

Nguyễn Lords - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The wikipedia page above, on the topic "Nguyễn Lords," has a family tree going back to the 1400s.

Note that google has a translator page, i.e. for French and Vietnamese sites; I've found it quite handy when digging for details. Google books also has books in the two languages.

One of the things I am curious about is genealogy resulting from Nguyen Dynasty family lines marrying into non-Vietnamese family lines -- for example French, Italian, and American.

The Ho Dynasty might have lasted only seven years, but parts of the family’s citadel built in Thanh Hoa province’s Vinh Loc district still stand. - Full article

Hue: restored pavilion

A historical monument of the Nguyen Dynasty was recently unveiled to welcome visitors in Hue City.

The Tu Phuong Vo Su Pavilion located in Bac Khuyet Dai of Hue Royal Citadel, was where princes and princesses at the end of the Nguyen Dynasty studied. It was also a place for the kings and the royal family where they enjoyed the fresh air.
Built in 1923 under the reign of King Khai Dinh, the pavilion is among Vietnam’s special historical monuments with the combination between the oriental and western architectural styles. Experiencing many wars, only a small wall of the work with a 45-year existence period still remains now. - Full article with photos

v Tu Phuong Vo Su Pavilion

Attachments

• Pavilion.jpg
    Pavilion.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,162
Elephant hunter cemetery in Dak Lak

There are 40 elephant hunters buried in the unique graveyard that has about 40 tombs. The hunters entombed there killed at least 25 to 30 elephants each. To be buried in the cemetery was a tribute to their huntsmanship.

The oldest tomb belongs to N’Thu Knul, who was a powerful tribal chief born in 1828. He is worshipped as founder of the art of hunting elephants. He also tamed hundreds of the big animals and presented one of them to the royal family in Thailand earning him the title of King of Elephant Hunters (Khunjunob) from the Thai King.- VietNam net

Hungarian doctor and writer Tibor Celler has received the hereditary title of Count from the Vietnamese Imperial House, however it is not clear who is the fons honorum in this case. Any idea?

Greetings! If it's a recent "ennoblement" from Imperial Vietnam, it's almost certainly from Buu Chanh, who is not the rightful successor to Bao Long, and who was removed from working with the Imperial family a few years back. As such, it would carry the same weight as if I ennobled someone -- that is to say, it is of limited intrinsic value. Burke's Peerage World Orders of Knighthood and Merit by Guy Stair Sainty has a good synopsis of the situation.

Thanks very much, it is very interesting. Dr. Celler publshed a book in Hungarian about the deposed royal families in the world and according to his book he received the title from the Vietnamese Imperial House, but no person was mentioned.

:DReally interesting, and my appreciation toward everyone that put an effort to research all the information of the Royal, I think that the french have all the information about that,So far when i studied the history of the Indochina which was under the colony of France, the people of The Indochine was strife very hard to freed from the yoke of french, especially the people of Vietnam, Laos and Canbodia. Vietnam is previously called by french is "Anamites"refered to its people and nation, the larger population immigrated from China, and the, i 'd been confusion about their people sinced i was young which they called "Yaun"people in my camp, and it's not different from the french called them "Anamites"is more politely,and thier people are very deligently as i've seen nowday, and very easy to accustom with the other cultures and merged into the other groups of people:cool: as i am not confusing vietnam will be very powerful, later on.

Back
Top Bottom