Vietnam: the Imperial Nguyen and earlier dynasties

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the requiem for Mong Diep, the concubine of Vietnam’s last king Bao Dai, held in the ancient capital city of Hue on July 1, many people were attracted to an old lady, who kneeled in front of the altar for over one hour, with a respectful face.
The old lady is Mrs. Le Thi Dinh, maternal grandchild of Duke Ung Quyen (the younger brother of Kings Kien Phuc, Ham Nghi and Dong Khanh of the Nguyen Dynasty).
Dinh is also the one who is in charge of worshiping five Nguyen kings at the Kien Thai Vuong palace. Whenever a member in the royal family passes away, Dinh is responsible to organize requiems for them, up to the tradition of the royal family. - Source

See also VietNamNet - Vietnamese last king

Hanoi museum to display thousand-year-old royal jades

An exhibition of historical jade statues will open in Hanoi on August 2.
The collection, entitled Vietnamese Antique Jade, includes more than 140 items, some of which are over a thousand years old.
They include jewelry, tools, royal seals, Buddha statues, swords and paintings studded with gems.
According to Dr. Nguyen Dinh Chien, the museum's assistant director, the items were part of collection owned by the Louis Finot Museum before 1954.
Many came from the the royal treasure of the Nguyen Dynasty, Vietnam's last monarchy. Vietnam’s last royal family handed the artifacts to the Vietnamese government in 1945.- Source

Imperial splendour

Often called the ‘belly button’ of Vietnam, Hue (pronounced as Hway) is the country’s midpoint. It used to be the imperial capital of the Nguyen dynasty and for more than 70 years it was under French rule, which has had a strong influence on its architecture and food.

Hue, the former Imperial capital

Images reproduced courtesy of Wikipedia under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license

Attachments

• Hue 1.jpg
    Hue 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Hue 2.jpg
    Hue 2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 734
  • Hue 3.jpg
    Hue 3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 369
  • Hue 4.jpg
    Hue 4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Hue 5.jpg
    Hue 5.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Hue 6.jpg
    Hue 6.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 342
  • Hue 7.jpg
    Hue 7.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Hue 8.jpg
    Hue 8.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 359
Last edited by a moderator:
The Imperial Monarchies of Vietnam

To : Timoléon de Carmain-Périllos, Special Assistant to His Imperial Highness Prince Nguyen-Phuc Buu Chanh of Vietnam, Duke of Kien Hoa, General Secretary of the Imperial Family Overseas Council (Paris) and President of the Vietnamese Constitutional Monarchist League (USA).

Dear Timoleon,
Long ago while Bao Dai was still king, my Grandma had attended his son's wedding, HRH Prince Bao Long.

I have a very commemorate stamp, to me it is precious and valuable, a stamp of one of the Crown Prince of Vietnam [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]H. M. Bao-Dai, the last Vietnamese Emperor of the Nguyen Dynasty, whose nickname was Vinh-Thuy, was born at Hue in 1913. He was the 13th emperor since Gia-Long (1802-1819), the founder of the Nguyen Dynasty, which ruled the Vietnamese people during the 19th and first half of the 20th century (1802-1945). Bao-Dai was the son of Khai-Dinh and succeeded to his father's throne in 1925.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On March 24, 1934, he married a Catholic South Vietnamese girl named Jeanette Nguyen-Huu-Hao, the later Empress Nam-Phuong. She gave birth to two princes, Bao-Long, the crown prince and Bao-Thang, and three princesses: Phuong-Mai, Phuong-Lien, and Phuong-Dung. Empress Nam-Phuong died in France on September 19, 1963.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On August 25, 1945, Bao-Dai abdicated when the communist Viet-Minh seized power. He then lived in exile in Hong Kong until 1949 when, with the support of the French, he returned as Chief of State. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On October 23, 1955, more than a year after the French defeat at Dien-Bien-Phu (on May 7, 1954) Bao-Dai was over thrown by a referendum and his Prime Minister Ngo-Dinh-Diem declared South Vietnam a Republic on October 26, 1955. Diem became its first president. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I. Indo-China[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Portraits of Bao-Dai appear on many stamps on Indochina. A set of eleven, Scott #171-181, was issued in 1936 for use in Annam (Central Viet Nam). Two more stamps were issued in September and November 1942, Scott #233-234. One stamp portraying his wife, Empress Nam-Phuong, was issued September 1, 1942, Scott #216.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The last triennial Festival of Nam-Giao was held March 29, 1942. It was solemnly celebrated at Hue by Bao-Dai himself. Scott #213-214 depict a harnessed elephant on parade in front of Dan-Nam-Giao (Central podium of the festival celebration).
[/FONT]

* * * * * Nguyen Dynasty * * * * * *

I also want to add that Hoang Tu Bao Long, Hoang Tu Bao Thang, Phuong Mai, Phuong Lien, and Phuong Dung, are the five prince and pricesses of Vua BAo Dai and Hoang Hau Nam Phuonh .( Bao Dai's Empress) .. Bao long, the eldest of the two brothers has two children mixed with French Blood and Vietnamese. Bao Long, was married to a French Lady. When she passed away, he remarried to a Vietnamese lady, and at this wedding, my Grandma was invited to their ceremony in France.

I too , have always been fascinated and always loved to know that right now, ( although I know they reside in France ), that what the names of the continuing generations of the Nguyen's Bao Dai's Dynasty. Are you able to tell us, or do you know any much more of the family.

Ngo Dinh Diem, after becoming president, after King Bao Dai had elected him into his presidency, Ngo Dinh Diem, the first president, promised that he will be of great care to Crown Prince Bao Long, but he did not; therefore, he was betrayed, and what comes after this, I do not want to portray but as you can guess, it proves to say, since he voted and pushed the king to end his reign, so the generations of people did not respect him, and if you find out, he died not of old age, but of betrayal and his life ended after his run away hide from were he was in a church, and then he was forced in a car and that was his final day. I really did not want to add this part in, but it shows that the people really loved our king, but our king, too was forced to end his reign, in such a sad way, that it's lkind of like " what goes around, comes around, and or the lesson is " do unto other's as what you would like do unto you..." so.. I am only happy to know so much about Bao Dai, and that his remaining four children who are residing in France, are still alive, and they are still Monarchs and Imperial Highnesses to me. The Nguyen Dynasty will always last because the Nguyen last name is so rich and dwells a lot in the hearts and lives of many, so many people carry this kingdom name, and I am proud and so happy it is but still around. I heard from a Father at church, he said to all of us,

"We are but prince and princesses here on earth becuase we all are and are children of the highest king, the Lord."
[FONT=arial,helvetica] [/FONT]. I have the Crown Prince Bao Long's Stamp.

Vietnam latest news - Thanh Nien Daily | Emperor's nephew remembers Tet in the royal palace
Nguyen Phuoc Bao Hien, 85, who calls the Nguyen Dynasty Emperor Duy Tan (1900-1945) uncle, still remembers the old days when he attended Tet holiday celebrations in the royal palace in Hue Town.
The old man, whose father is Nguyen Phuoc Vinh Vu, younger brother of the emperor, now lives in a small house near the An Lang relic site, where he spent his childhood with his grandmother and his grandfather’s 22 concubines. The site is a place where three emperors of the Nguyen Dynasty - Duc Duc, Thanh Thai, and Duy Tan are worshipped.

Bao Dai - last king of vietnam

Hi,

I'm writing a profile on Bao Dai - the last king of vietnam. I would like to know your opinion of him. I would like to know what you thought of him at the time esp. if you were a vietnamese subject. Could he have been wiser in his dealing with the French, foreign powers. Was there ever an opportunity for him to gain freedom for Vietnam without warfare? Could he have changed the course of the war?

I will use your comments in my essay without your name

Thank you

Dragon Robes

I would like to thank Kasumi for this website and news. Although brief, it indicates that there are surviving royal costumes of the Nguyen Dynasty. In many respects, these dragon robes have many features of the Ming and Qing Dynasty robes.

I wonder if the mantle (worn by women) was actually worn by male or female courtiers.

Rgds Victor

I remember my friend married a Nguyen. She said that her mother-in-law almost ended up a concubine of the King, the law was unmarried by 16th birthday, you belong to him. Hûe looks like an imperial garden city the mini bridges and pounds everywhere tell you that less then 150 years ago it must have been an amazing place.

Hiii

I've been reading many news ,

Since 2000 and during President Obama's presidency to now , President TRUMP's , 2017,

I'm wondering how THE MONARCHY LEAGUE OF VIETNAM is doing???

I'd like to see more news ( photos and images ) on THE MONARCHY and its works , and has the President or Prince Regent visited the Country to maybe " bring the country of two nations together " ..
Where as citizens around the world and citizens of Vietnam can see Vietnam come together again..

I know we now have Princes in America , ( residing in California , Florida , etc .) and the youngest Prince in France ... ??

I truly hope and wish the Best to the Nation , ( Country of VN ) and like Cambodia or even Korea, they will be undivided and install their MONARCHY again,
Which I know , by all good means, is possible through praying...and wishing hard enough...

May both flags unite one day, for the colors still remain the same , therefore Vietnam's Nation ( Cpuntry ) hasn't changed ( its colors ), in hoping that Both Leaders from both worlds can bring a powerfully magical embracing unity of a Beautiful Country To maybe even have a mix government, or a whole Nation as One, with both leaders working together...

" Only Time will prove the hard work and willingness " and nowadays Just about everything good is possible !"

* July 2017

Please update us any new news on the Works that is happening where and abouts of The MONARCHY LEAGUE of Vietnam ..

?

Hm... I see links providing stories that Phuc Buu Chanh, is the current president that directs the League.. I'm unsure where you got your news from, although yes the current prince is NGUYEN BAO LONG, at the time you mentioned and now his younger sibling,

I've read on news that the LEAGUE is still under The Prince Regent, and that through help of other parliaments, they are trying to do the will of Bao Dai, re-establish freedom ..etc..

�� I could paste a link, but you can find it easily by looking up on NEWS , I'm pretty sure you can find it,

There are people non native who doubt and people who believe, I'm a supporter ...

Greetings! If it's a recent "ennoblement" from Imperial Vietnam, it's almost certainly from Buu Chanh, who is not the rightful successor to Bao Long, and who was removed from working with the Imperial family a few years back. As such, it would carry the same weight as if I ennobled someone -- that is to say, it is of limited intrinsic value. Burke's Peerage World Orders of Knighthood and Merit by Guy Stair Sainty has a good synopsis of the situation.
Hm... I see links providing stories that Phuc Buu Chanh, is the current president that directs the League.. I'm unsure where you got your news from, although yes the current prince is NGUYEN BAO LONG, at the time you mentioned and now his younger sibling,

I've read on news that the LEAGUE is still under The Prince Regent, and that through help of other parliaments, they are trying to do the will of Bao Dai, re-establish freedom ..etc..

�� I could paste a link, but you can find it easily by looking up on NEWS , I'm pretty sure you can find it,

There are people non native who doubt and people who believe, I'm a supporter ...

Back
Top Bottom