Turkey: The Ottoman Empire - House of Osman

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a classy and elegant LADY. Thanks Benjamin for the video.

Anyone been to the museum in Istanbul? The Crown Jewels of the house are the most valuable (according to the docent) of any royal house....That emerald dagger is a sight to see.

:previous:
Yes, indeed. The craftsmanship is amazing.

Last edited:
Do you have any information about Roxelana? she was the lovely wife of Süleyman the Magnificent. actually, she was from ukraine and was taken to istanbul with force. but she was sooooo smart woman and made Suleyman fall in love with her...

Does anyone have any information on Hayraddin Silodin Arnulph (LeTurk)? He is supposedly the son of Sultan Djem by his french wife during his imprisonment in the 1400's. Also, any information on the French wife?

There have been some rumors flying around in my family that Sultan Djem was brought to France by Count Kaimund of Toulouse from Palestine, however those dates do not match up with records. There is a copy of a grant at Nismes of 1529 in the archives of Paris that Hayraddin Silodin (Dejems son) also known as Arnulph Le Turk was knighted and admitted into the nobility. Then a renewal was granted by Francis I to Reginald DeTurck which is my 14th great grand father who was mayor of Nismes, dying in 1554.

While the proof is there per the grants from Francis I, I am still a little sketchy on who my ancesters were and how I'm connected to Prince Djem from Hayraddin Silodin. When I follow the tree line and evidence it puts Djem as my 15th great grandfather. If anyone has any solid information that they could share with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much!
Christine Cooper Teague

Do you have any information about Roxelana? she was the lovely wife of Süleyman the Magnificent. actually, she was from ukraine and was taken to istanbul with force. but she was sooooo smart woman and made Suleyman fall in love with her...

yes Dear she was the lovely wife of Süleyman the Magnificent , and she’s from ukraine and was taken to istanbul with force .
she Born in 1506 and her real name before Before her marriage " Alexandra Anastasia Lisowska "
but much later traditions, for example Ukrainian folk traditions first recorded in the 19th century, give it as "Anastasia" (diminutive: "Nastia"), and Polish traditions give it as "Aleksandra Lisowska".
and then she known for " Haseki Sultan " That mean the wife of the Emperor and she known in Rolxelana and in Turkey known in Hürrem
her Religion : baptized Eastern Orthodox Christian at birth, later converted to Sunni Islam .
Children : 1- Selim II " Male "
2- Princess Mihrimah " female "
3- Cihangir " Male "
4- Bayezid 5- Mehmed " Male "
her earily life
According to late-16th-century and early-17th-century sources, such as the Polish poet Samuel Twardowski, who researched the subject in Turkey, Hürrem was seemingly born to a father who was a Ukrainian (Ruthenian) Orthodox priest. She was born in the town of Rohatyń, 68 km southeast of Lwów, a major city of the Ruthenian Voivodeship in the Crown of the Kingdom of Poland (today in western Ukraine). In the 1520s, she was captured by Crimean Tatars during one of their frequent raids into this region and taken as a slave, probably first to the Crimean city of Kaffa, a major centre of the slave trade, then to Constantinople, and was selected for Süleyman’s harem.
her life : She quickly came to the attention of her master, and attracted the jealousy of her rivals , first she was planning to merry Süleyman to
Revenge from him because her parents died in Ukrainia because of Süleyman soldiers , and it was first step in the plan to change her religion to islam because Süleyman the Magnificent of the Ottoman Empire not allowed to marry from other religion .
But after she attracted Süleyman and see how much he’s gentleman forget her revenge and fall in love Deeply with him .
Roxelana influence over the Sultan soon became legendary; she was to bear Süleyman Five children Princess Mihrimah, Selim, Beyazid, Abdullah, Cihangir and Mehmed, in an astonishing break with tradition, eventually was freed and became his legal wife, making Süleyman the first Ottoman Emperor to have a wed wife since Orhan Gazi. This strengthened her position in the palace and eventually led to one of her sons, Selim, inheriting the empire. Roxelana also may have acted as Süleyman’s adviser on matters of state, and seems to have had an influence upon foreign affairs and international politics .
and Hürrem Haskeki Sultan , or Roxelana, as she is better known in Europe, is well-known both in modern Turkey and in the West, and is the subject of many artistic works. She has inspired paintings, musical works (including Joseph Haydn’s Symphony No 63), an opera by Denys Sichynsky, a ballet, plays, and several novels written mainly in Ukrainian, but also in English, French, and German. In 2007, Muslims in Mariupol, a port city in Ukraine, opened a mosque to honor Roxelana .
She Died in : April 15 , 19558

there is a television show which is called "Magnificent Century (Muhtesem Yuzyil). it is about Suleyman and of course about Hurrem so interesting i strongly recommend to watch it :)

there is a television show which is called "Magnificent Century (Muhtesem Yuzyil). it is about Suleyman and of course about Hurrem so interesting i strongly recommend to watch it :)

yes right , I’m Very interested too in This series , and Now started Part2 of the series .

Yes she’s very important person in Ottoman Empire History , Thanks for the info :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
I live in Greece, and since 3 days now they broadcast in TV the Turkish serie "Soliman the magnificent" I followed 2 of the 3 and I found ver very nice. They focuse a lot on the relation with Aleksandra-Hrrem, it really seems that she took a very large part on his life.
I have many questions for turkish speakers, or people who deeply know the ottoman period.
- what does Hrrem mean??? on the serie Alexandra insists on this name, given by the Paddishah, after her night with him. But her rival does not accept to call her Hrrem, why?
- How old was she, when she started being his favorite?
- I know that at the ottoman palaces women vere always covered by vails, and the only males allowed to get into, out of the Sultan and the young boys, were the eunuques (castrated). But yesterday, i saw one scene of the serie, where the Valide Sultan (mother), one of the Sultan's wifes, and his sister, went for a walk at the gardens, head and face uncovered, and they had small talks with some men!!! COULD IT THIS BE POSSIBLE???
Thanks.

Hi :)
- Hürrem means gracious, charm, good humored. Her rival insists on calling her as Alexandra because it is a privilage to be named by Paddishah and no rival would want it for her/his opponent.
- There are several thesis concerning her age but nothing is clear as black and white. She was born around 1500 and on 1520/21 she gave birth to her first son. So she may be 17 - 18 yeras old when she became his favorite.
- Yes it's possible because women weren't always covered by vails. That vail type was an Ottoman custom and most of the women wore vails like that. That garden you saw was Harem's garden and women can go there uncovered because you know that garden was theirs :D And they were free to talk to men of course. They were concubins and most of them were so glad to be there, because it was the richest and the safest place to live.

Hi :)
- Hürrem means gracious, charm, good humored. Her rival insists on calling her as Alexandra because it is a privilage to be named by Paddishah and no rival would want it for her/his opponent.
- There are several thesis concerning her age but nothing is clear as black and white. She was born around 1500 and on 1520/21 she gave birth to her first son. So she may be 17 - 18 yeras old when she became his favorite.
- Yes it's possible because women weren't always covered by vails. That vail type was an Ottoman custom and most of the women wore vails like that. That garden you saw was Harem's garden and women can go there uncovered because you know that garden was theirs :D And they were free to talk to men of course. They were concubins and most of them were so glad to be there, because it was the richest and the safest place to live.
Thanks a lot for your help. Tonight is the fourth episode, so tomorrow if I have new questions, I'll abuse of your kindness and knowledge.
P.S. So the young and unmarried sister of Suleyman, could talk to men uncovered, provided that it was inside her place, but she could not go outside uncovered. (she should be happy to do, because something might happen between her and Ibrahim Visir. See tonight)

Thanks a lot for your help. Tonight is the fourth episode, so tomorrow if I have new questions, I'll abuse of your kindness and knowledge.
P.S. So the young and unmarried sister of Suleyman, could talk to men uncovered, provided that it was inside her place, but she could not go outside uncovered. (she should be happy to do, because something might happen between her and Ibrahim Visir. See tonight)

Hahaha :D You're welcome neighbour, anytime :flowers:
Yeap she can go Harem's garden uncovered but can't go outside the palace without vails. She can talk anyone she pleases because she has privilages as being the sister of Suleyman. For instance she can divorce a man, at that times it was impossible for women. You can learn tons of Ottoman culture on that serie. I like to watch it too. New series will be broadcast on 12 September in Turkey. Watch Hatice and İbrahim, there will be a history between them :)

Hahaha :D You're welcome neighbour, anytime :flowers:
Yeap she can go Harem's garden uncovered but can't go outside the palace without vails. She can talk anyone she pleases because she has privilages as being the sister of Suleyman. For instance she can divorce a man, at that times it was impossible for women. You can learn tons of Ottoman culture on that serie. I like to watch it too. New series will be broadcast on 12 September in Turkey. Watch Hatice and İbrahim, there will be a history between them :)

Understood, I'll do so. Anyway, I'm not fully ignorant, I've read Kenize Mourad' dead Princess, The Last Sultan and the night in Sarail!! And WE all love Halit Ergenc - Binbir Gece!!:p

Understood, I'll do so. Anyway, I'm not fully ignorant, I've read Kenize Mourad' dead Princess, The Last Sultan and the night in Sarail!! And WE all love Halit Ergenc - Binbir Gece!!:p

I know I was in Greece last month and Turkish series were all over Greece :lol: Kenize Mourad is a great writer and dead princess is a brilliant novel. It reflects the last period of Ottoman Empire and situation of the imperial family after exile. This TV serie focuses more on Harem life and the top period of the Ottoman Empire. Wealth, power and victories. I'm sure that it will be as famous as Binbir Gece in Greece. Hürrem's ring will be everywhere like here i guess :lol::lol:

Hürrem's ring will be everywhere like here i guess :lol::lol:

We all wish we had one... I was in topkapi and saw Suleyman's gorgeous jewels (knife, turban, ertc etc)
Bye. More news tomorrow.:)

Hello, I'm back, after 3 nice episodes of Suleyman, and new details on the ottoman court uses and customs.
For example, Hurrem asked to become muslim, and Suleyman is very touched by her action. I read that after her conversion to Islam, Hurrem became free, and Suleyman married her, breaking centuries of tradition.
So I understand that NOONE of the previous Hasekis+Kadines never ever converted and Hurrem was the first?? What about the Valide Sultanes?? They were still Christians? I found this freedom very interesting and mixed in the meantime. You are a slave inside the Palace, but you are free to keep your religion!
Or I'm wrong to all?????

Hi :flowers:
Suleyman is touched because she chooses to be a muslim, but being muslim is not the sign of freedom. Padishah needs to set her free because she is still a concubin. The thing is after being muslim she can not be with him without being married religiously. This is the trick. Lots of historians agree that she became muslim to get married to Suleyman but we can not be absolutely sure about that.
No Hurrem was not the first but she is the one in favour of Padishah and the one who converted. Not all concubins can be with Padishah, so not all convertions of concubins matter.

Valide Sultans are muslim but they are not particulary have a concubin origin. They may born in a muslim family. They are generaly daughters of noble families.

No you are right they can keep their religion, no one could ever force them to convert. Forcing someone to convert is against islamic belief. Besides, they are not that slaves, if they don't want to stay in palace they can asked to be married. They get married with high ranking soldiers or pashahs anytime they want.

Hurrem is the first concubin to be married to a Padishah but before Suleyman and Hurrem there are several Padishahs who got married. But they married with daughters of noble families not with concubins. Pretty complicated the Ottoman Empire :lol:

Thanks neigbour!!!
YES, it is complicated. Imagine if you were Occidental diplomate at the Ottoman court... how long you should learn to understand their way of thinking and acting!

:previous: Hahahahaaa :lol: You are absolutely right, it takes years to understand all :lol:

:previous: Hahahahaaa :lol: You are absolutely right, it takes years to understand all :lol:

And after these years.... they were called back to their countries :bang:

Tonight Suleyman should punish Mahridevan (not sure for the spelling..) because she much much hurted Hurrem to blood!

Stupid woman, she is destroying her position of Hasike because of her sick jalousy. Not everyone is intelligent like Hurrem.

It's Mahidevran :) Mahidevran will be punished several times but it's hard to disgrace a Hasike, she is powerfull and important as being the mother of an heir. Eventually she will destroy herself, of course with a little help of Hürrem. Hard to oppose Hürrem anyway :)

It's Mahidevran :) Mahidevran will be punished several times but it's hard to disgrace a Hasike, she is powerfull and important as being the mother of an heir. Eventually she will destroy herself, of course with a little help of Hürrem. Hard to oppose Hürrem anyway :)

Thanks!
I have now a question about how to style the Sultan. In occidental courts they have Highness, Majesty, Imperial Majesty. In greek texts, when they are talking about the Paddisha, they style/call him "Polychronemene=Longlived" Sultan (they do not traslate the Paddishah)
But in this serie, they style him EXCELLENCY, but I think it is wrong, no? What is the correct style and the english traslation??

Thanks!
I have now a question about how to style the Sultan. In occidental courts they have Highness, Majesty, Imperial Majesty. In greek texts, when they are talking about the Paddisha, they style/call him "Polychronemene=Longlived" Sultan (they do not traslate the Paddishah)
But in this serie, they style him EXCELLENCY, but I think it is wrong, no? What is the correct style and the english traslation??

Oh translating the style of a Padishah can be veeeery tricky. For translation of a serie one may translate as excellency or highness but in Ottoman Empire others call him as Sultanım (my Sultan), Hünkarım (my sovereign), Haşmetmeap (his royal highness). Sultan is the most common style, Suleyman's full style is for example; Kanuni Sultan Süleyman.

In reference to the Sultan, his style in English was His Imperial Majesty the Sultan of Turkey or His Imperial Majesty the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
"Padishah" was a term used more in the East, but rarely in the West where "Sultan" was preferred.
The Holy Roman Emperor had referred to the Ottoman Sultan as "Emperor" since the 17th century, thus giving the Sultanate "official" Imperial status in Europe.

The official full style of the reigning Ottoman Emperor was stabilised from the middle of the 16th century until the fall of the dynasty and in English the first of the styles and titles translate as:
"His Sacred and Imperial Majesty, Emperor [Padishah], Sovereign of the House of Osman, Sultan of Sultans, Khan of Khans, Commander of the Faithful and Successor of the Prophet of the Lord of the Universe, Custodian of the Holy Sanctuaries, Emperor of Rome... etc etc."

Abdülmecid II, the last Caliph from 1922-1924, was styled the same as previous Sultans, His Imperial Majesty, as Caliph of Islam and Head of the Imperial House of Osman.
Immediate members of the Imperial House bore (bear) the style of His or Her Imperial Highness (HIH).

Thanks Warren for this information. Ottoman Court protokol looks very complicated. I read somewher that the term "Padishad" comes from farsi language, and it is superior to the term of Sultan, its includes also the title of Chaliph, a kind of supreme combination of Political+religious power.
Bonbon what exact means the term of chalvet?? They do not translate it in the greek subtitles of the Syleyman serie. I understand that it means the night when the Sultan will have a woman in his bed, but do they fix this night according to some signs? Position of the moon, or order of the Religion? It is strange how the Court servants talk about : "It is chalvet tonight"
And I still do not understand how the Hasontabasis-Ibrahim, Man non castrated walks inside the Palace, and can meet Hatitze Sultan, and talk to her, without being covered.

Back
Top Bottom