The Dukes of Lorraine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betina

Courtier
City
Copenhagen
Country
Denmark
Sorry I dont know if there already have been made a thread about those, but can anyone tell me if they know about existing paintings and where they are buried.
I am most interested in Franciois 1 of Lorraine and his decendants with Christine of Denmark.
Can anyone help?

:previous:
Christina Of Denmark married Francis I who was Duke of Lorraine for only 1 year in 1541.
Christina and Francis had 3 children.

Dorothea (1542-?), married Duke of Braunschweig
Charles (1543-1608), succeeded his father as duke. Married Claude of Valois and had children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_III,_Duke_of_Lorraine
Renata (1544-1602), married William V, Duke of Bavaria and had children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renata_of_Lorraine

There are quite alot of Duke of Lorraine. All possible buried in different places.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Lorraine#Dukes_of_Lorraine

Pictures.
http://www.wga.hu/art/h/holbein/hans_y/1543/13anthon.jpg - Duke Anthony of Lorraine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KarlIILothringen.jpg - Charles III who succeded Francis I.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Charles_IV_de_Lorraine.JPG - Charles IV

Charles III, duke of Lorraine didn't marry Claude of Valois. He married Claude of France.

She was the daughter of Henri II. Children of the sovereign always were named "de France". It is a contemporary misconception (a widely used one) that the children of the king of France would carry any other name than "de France" (with the exception of Louis-Philippe, of course).

:previous:
The only Claude de France is Henri II mother.
Henri II was part of the house of Valois, that is possible why she is Claude de Valois. :flowers:

You're wrong.

Claude de France, Henri II's mother, was also a member of the Valois branch. As I explained in the above post, historically, children of the king were always called "de France" and it 's only a contemporary misconception to give them the name of the branch they came from. No matter how often you've read "Claude de Valois" on the Internet and in modern books, her name was Claude de France, like her grandmother.

You may want to check Patrick Van Kerrebrouck volumes of the "Nouvelle Histoire de l'Auguste Maison de France" to find proof of this.

Or you may just want to read this message carefully, so as not to contradict it with the very arguments it disproves.

Sorry I dont know if there already have been made a thread about those, but can anyone tell me if they know about existing paintings and where they are buried.
I am most interested in Franciois 1 of Lorraine and his decendants with Christine of Denmark.
Can anyone help?
I became interested in this family as a teenager when I read the historical novelist Jean Plaidy's series about Catherine de Medici & Henry IV. The figures of the Cardinal of Lorraine & the Duke de Guise seemed incredibly glamorous at the time though in truth they were both pretty ruthless but clever politicians/strategists.

Below I have posted a couple of links to paintings of Francois

Francois (1)

Francois (2)

The following article is also quite helpful although it doesn't tell you about the burial place.

Francois

Charles III, Duke of Lorraine,Duke of Lorraine and Bar , Marquis of Pont-à-Mousson :1545-1608

339px-Charles_III%2C_Duke_of_Lorraine%2C_by_studio_of_Fran%C3%A7ois_Clouet.jpg

Duke Theodoric II of Lorraine (1055-1115) in 1095 planned to take up the Cross (go on Crusade). However, because of ill health, he did not.

Duke Theodoric II of Lorraine (1055-1115) in 1095 planned to take up the Cross (go on Crusade). However, because of ill health, he did not.

He reigned as duke of upper Lorraine for almost 45 years almost so his health improved after the First Crusade had departed ;)

Theodoric_II%2C_Duke_of_Lorraine.png

The Duchy of Lorraine, originally Upper Lorraine, was a duchy now included in the larger present-day region of Lorraine in northeastern France. Its capital was Nancy.

It was founded in 959 following the division of Lotharingia into two separate duchies: Upper and Lower Lorraine, the westernmost parts of the Holy Roman Empire. The Lower duchy was quickly dismantled, while Upper Lorraine came to be known as simply the Duchy of Lorraine. The Duchy of Lorraine was coveted and briefly occupied by the dukes of Burgundy and the kings of France.

In 1737, the duchy was given to Stanisław Leszczyński, the former king of Poland, who had lost his throne as a result of the War of the Polish Succession, with the understanding that it would fall to the French crown on his death. When Stanisław died on 23 February 1766, Lorraine was annexed by France and reorganized as a province
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Lorraine

I can trace to Lorraine through my paternal ancestor King Chlotaire and Queen Menia from both my parents. My father paternally and mother from the ducal line of Chlotaire that became Counts under Charles The Bold. My later ancestor Nevenoe Tad Ar Vro beat Emperor Charles after being taunted time and time again by the brigante and my mother's side of the family.

regards,
Mark

The Independent duchy of Lorraine lasted until 1766 after this it was incorporated into the Kingdom of France and later dissolved in 1790 with all of the old Provinces of France.

586px-Provinces_france_1789.svg.png

You're wrong.
...You may want to check Patrick Van Kerrebrouck volumes of the "Nouvelle Histoire de l'Auguste Maison de France" to find proof of this.

Or you may just want to read this message carefully, so as not to contradict it with the very arguments it disproves.

Ouch. Reading old posts is like being in a time capsule.
Leomichael, this I believe was your last post in 2006 and sadly ended in a challenge. I think that was the time I was around in here and started to fade away, part because of life and work and now I recall partly because of getting exhausted reading ping pong challenges like the above.

Re the Dukes of Lorraine and ancestry in general. Back in the 2006 Royal Forum none of us had an idea in a few more years technology and DNA would advance so fast and be accessible to so many. I'm glad I got to live this long (I'm only 63 now) to get to return back to these old threads and find out all the new information we have today to clarify heritage and historical lines.

Note aside: When I saw the map posted by An Ard Ari, my first thought was the area of Normandy where my spouse and in-laws recently traced as part of their past, too after 4 years of research online done by several senior family members here in NY, where their Dutch, and one Norwegian lady named Aneeke Jans, ancestors arrived to New Amsterdam and descendants moved and propagated upstate to own farms they still have to this very day. Reason when we retired in Connecticut, we moved to upstate NY to do a full circle on the past, even though those are my in-law ancestors. My own wild ancestors, per the DNA and family research online, were more northern Spain and Mediterranean people.

And, to continue the amazing time capsule thread questions from 2006 with updated 2023 visuals, here's a fascinating YouTube history fan-made Documentary on the lady in question. Enjoy!

And some more interesting history maps

Last edited:
The capital of the Duchy of Lorraine was the city of Nancy which housed both the Ducal Castle and Ducal House of Lorraine burial site -L'eglise Saint-François-des-Cordeliers de Nancy.

640px-Nanceium_Nancy_M-TS-ES-00003_%28palais%29.jpg

Thanks Ar And Ari, that made me find another great 2023 YouTube history fan made documentary to expand our knowledge since the RF is the best source of curated news and information on royal history.

Every time I look at a thread and see the guests reading our comments it makes me understand that there is a lot of interest in royal history. Especially guests that find in the forum any help for their own family history research.

Battle of Nancy (1477) | Rise and Fall of the Burgundian State

Last edited:
Charles the Bold,Duke of Burgundy was killed at the Battle Nancy (1477) .The naked bloodied bodies of the duke and Jean de Rubempré were not discovered and identified until January 7th.
His remains were buried at the now destroyed Collégiale Saint-Georges de Nancy.
They were later moved to the Church of Our Lady of Bruges in 1550.

567px-Tombeau_de_Charles_le_t%C3%A9m%C3%A9raire_Jean_Crocq.JPG

Back
Top Bottom