The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Courtier

The Dukes of Lorraine

Sorry I dont know if there already have been made a thread about those, but can anyone tell me if they know about existing paintings and where they are buried.
I am most interested in Franciois 1 of Lorraine and his decendants with Christine of Denmark.
Can anyone help?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Christina Of Denmark married Francis I who was Duke of Lorraine for only 1 year in 1541.
Christina and Francis had 3 children.

Dorothea (1542-?), married Duke of Braunschweig
Charles (1543-1608), succeeded his father as duke. Married Claude of Valois and had children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...ke_of_Lorraine
Renata (1544-1602), married William V, Duke of Bavaria and had children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renata_of_Lorraine

There are quite alot of Duke of Lorraine. All possible buried in different places.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of...es_of_Lorraine

Pictures.
http://www.wga.hu/art/h/holbein/hans...3/13anthon.jpg - Duke Anthony of Lorraine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KarlIILothringen.jpg - Charles III who succeded Francis I.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...e_Lorraine.JPG - Charles IV

Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Commoner

Charles III, duke of Lorraine didn't marry Claude of Valois. He married Claude of France.

She was the daughter of Henri II. Children of the sovereign always were named "de France". It is a contemporary misconception (a widely used one) that the children of the king of France would carry any other name than "de France" (with the exception of Louis-Philippe, of course).
Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The only Claude de France is Henri II mother.
Henri II was part of the house of Valois, that is possible why she is Claude de Valois.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Commoner

You're wrong.

Claude de France, Henri II's mother, was also a member of the Valois branch. As I explained in the above post, historically, children of the king were always called "de France" and it 's only a contemporary misconception to give them the name of the branch they came from. No matter how often you've read "Claude de Valois" on the Internet and in modern books, her name was Claude de France, like her grandmother.

You may want to check Patrick Van Kerrebrouck volumes of the "Nouvelle Histoire de l'Auguste Maison de France" to find proof of this.

Or you may just want to read this message carefully, so as not to contradict it with the very arguments it disproves.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina View Post
Sorry I dont know if there already have been made a thread about those, but can anyone tell me if they know about existing paintings and where they are buried.
I am most interested in Franciois 1 of Lorraine and his decendants with Christine of Denmark.
Can anyone help?
I became interested in this family as a teenager when I read the historical novelist Jean Plaidy's series about Catherine de Medici & Henry IV. The figures of the Cardinal of Lorraine & the Duke de Guise seemed incredibly glamorous at the time though in truth they were both pretty ruthless but clever politicians/strategists.

Below I have posted a couple of links to paintings of Francois

Francois (1)

Francois (2)

The following article is also quite helpful although it doesn't tell you about the burial place.

Francois
Old 09-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Charles III, Duke of Lorraine,Duke of Lorraine and Bar , Marquis of Pont-à-Mousson :1545-1608