The Coat of Arms of the Kings of Jerusalem

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

portingal

Commoner
City
Maia
Country
Portugal
Good Morning!

The next step in our series of analyses will deal with the motivation behind the Cross of Jerusalem and the arms said to be used by Godfrey of Bouillon, who died years before heraldry as such started to be used. The interesting thing in the results is that he is indeed referred by the arms.

The arms of Jerusalem have quite simple and strong parophonies and the motivation is fully religious. The heraldic plot is a central cross representing Christ dead and four small crosses along with the squares delimited by the main cross representing the four books of the Gospels, everything on top of a stony grave.

As before I remain at your service for any comments you may have. Allow me to remember the thesis site: www.leeuween.com and give me a few days to publish.

Have a nice Sunday,

Carlos da Fonte

Last edited:
We've just published the first of ten semantic levels of:

Kings of Jerusalem (I/X) - Ézechias (French: Hezekiah's Tunnel) ~ Exequies (French: obsequies)

http://leeuween.com/13435.html

Best regards,

Carlos da Fonte

We've just published the second semantic level of:

Kings of Jerusalem (II) - Jérusalem (French: Jerusalem) ~ Je ruse la haine (French: I repel hate)

http://leeuween.com/13751.html

Best regards,

Carlos da Fonte

Good evening,

We've just published the fourth semantic level of:
Kings of Jerusalem (IV/XII)- en Tur (Fr: in Tower) ~ entur (Fr: around)

Kings of Jerusalem: en Tur ~ entur - 5 x 11: The Meaning of Arms

This is the first example of a residential metonymization of the referent: the Kings of Jerusalem, as they used to live in the neighbourhood called The Tower of David.

Many thanks,

Carlos da Fonte

Kings of Jerusalem: Hierosolimitains

Hello,

We've just published the fifth semantic level of:
Kings of Jerusalem (V/XII)- Hierosolimitains ~ Hirauts sols limitants

Kings of Jerusalem: Hierosolimitains ~ Hirauts sols limitants - 5 x 11: The Meaning of Arms

In this semantic level we defined how the cross potent was built using the four books of the Gospels, partially covering the initial Greek cross (which before generated "Cions").
The method departed from the same assumptions that produced "Aquincensis" (the inhabitants of old Buda in Hungary) for Sagremor and "J'Wincestrin" (a gentilic of Winchester) for St Edward the Confessor.

Regards,

Carlos da Fonte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom