The Ancient Kings of Israel and Judah

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyGabrielle

Serene Highness
City
kapaa
Country
United States
O.k. I am not knowledgeable with middle eastern royalty so can anyone tell me if there is a non reigning family for israel or would it be part of a larger kingdom? thank you for the info. :flowers:

The Hasmonean Kingdom was the last independent or autonomous Jewish kingdom. It ended in 37BC when Herod took power as a client king of the Roman Empire.

AFAIK the last Jewish king was King Herod Archelaus who ruled from 4BC to 6AD and who ruled over Judea, but as Warren says above only as a vasal of Rome. I have no idea what happened to the dynasty itself after this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I 've always been fascinated by Ancient History.More or less investigations had been done in the matter of Ancient Egypt History,but the history of biblical kings is veiled in mystery.Not so many researchers,no descendants line studies found.
Foe example,the King David of Ancient Israel ,who was not only a warrior,but at the same time an artist who wrote the lyrics to many songs or the story of his son,the wise king Solomon,whose supposed son was the king Menelik of Ethiopia.

there are various sites as well as books relating to davidic descendants. how reliable they are is another matter entirely.

Seeing a Jewish Royal Family will be interesting.

There is an interesting book called Bloodline of the Holy Grail, The hidden lineage of Jesus Revealed by Laurence Gardner with a forward of Prince Michael of Albany. I don't think I ever finished it though.

Well there are Jewish nobility like the family Rothchild, Baron Hirsch and others, but they have no connection to King David and his descendants.There were also the Hasmoneans, the leaders and self made kings in the times of the ancients Greeks. Being Jewish myself, I do know that the Royal house of Judah was known well into Byznatine times, and there was a head of the house known as "Nasi" But today we are scattered to all corners of the earth, and very few today have lineage to the ancient kings of Israel

Thank You for the answer!But it means that there are those few people who could (or pretend to) trace their lines back in the Ancient times,though it seems difficult to grasp it

Thank You for the answer!But it means that there are those few people who could (or pretend to) trace their lines back in the Ancient times,though it seems difficult to grasp it
Yes, there are very few families who have a lineage untill the house of David or the ancient Nasi. though a written lineage is virtually nonexsistent due to persecution, expulsions and various exiles, the last being the destruction of European Jewry in the second world war, the holocaust. Still some families are known to descend from royalty, and you have to prove you are from that family, and haven't changed your name to gain that status as being descended from the house of David.

avoid anything by Gardner as he creates lineages as well as misinterprets those that exist in reality and mythology to fit his theories

...Bloodline of the Holy Grail, The hidden lineage of Jesus Revealed by Laurence Gardner with a forward of Prince Michael of Albany.
Further to norenxaq's post above, there is no legitimate title of "Prince Michael of Albany". It's made-up, a nonsense, an easily-disproved deception.

The only 'recent' Prince of Albany (apart from Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany) was Leopold's posthumous son, Prince Charles Edward (1884-1954), Duke of Albany from birth and from 1900, reigning Duke Karl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha.

I am Jewish and living in Israel's capital Jerusalem. For more about Jewish royal lineage the Talmud might be a better guide. In it also the lineage of Jesus is explained (without calling him by his name, but you can conclude it by deduction).

I am Jewish and living in Israel's capital Jerusalem. For more about Jewish royal lineage the Talmud might be a better guide. In it also the lineage of Jesus is explained (without calling him by his name, but you can conclude it by deduction).

After the fall of Jerusalem, and the exile to Babylon, the David dynasty was represented by the EXILARCHS, exiled monarch-pretenders with a semi religious/semi political role who represented the exiled Jewish community in Babylon. The Exilarchs were descended from a brother or uncle of King Zedekiah, the last king of Judah. Zedekiah, and all his sons were executed.

I have read that the David dynasty is represented today by a small clutch of orthodox Jewish families, including the Dayan and the Peretz families.

In 2007, or 2008, a huge gathering/ reunion of Davidic families took place in Jerusalem and Y-DNA was compared. Only the orthodox Rabbis know who the true Davidic families are. Their pedigrees have been meticulously recorded by the Rabbis from one generation to the next, despite persecution. DNA will sort the wheat from the chaff.

Quite correct what you write. The Nasi was the line of the house of David after the destruction of the second temple, being in Roman times and around 70 years after the birth of Jesus. Special care was taken to preserve this line of Nasi, the most famous being Rabbi Yehuda Nasi

Quite correct what you write. The Nasi was the line of the house of David after the destruction of the second temple, being in Roman times and around 70 years after the birth of Jesus. Special care was taken to preserve this line of Nasi, the most famous being Rabbi Yehuda Nasi

Many thanks for your input. I was unaware of who represented the David dynasty after the fall of the second Temple. I would asume that the Dayan and Peretz families are members of the Nasi ? When did Rabbi Yehuda Nasi live?

According to American Pastor Clint van Nest, a former ordained Baptist minister who converted to Judaism (now a Rabbi), Jesus' real name was Yehoshua. He was an orthodox rabbi of the House of David who campaigned against the Pharisees and against general corrupt practices at the Temple. He made enemies who conspired with the Romans to have him crucified. However, Van Nest claims Yehoshua survived his crucifiction (he was unconscious when taken down from the Cross), was nursed back to health, and escaped (tomb door open), and went into exile. He possibly lived in the large Jewish community in south of France (today called Provence, then part of Gaul). My uncle, Major Ian Granger, researched the life of Jesus for several years. He believes that he is buried in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain. All this was kept secret by the Roman Church. Those, especially the Cathars of southern France, who knew the secret and who defied the authority of the Church were killed in their thousands, and their properties expropriated during the 13th-14th centuries, on the orders of Pope Innocent III. Van Nest claims that Yehoshua founded a Jewish sect in Jerusalem called the Netzarim. The last Paqid or leader/judge of the Netzarim was executed by the Romans and replaced by a bishop called Marcus. Van Nest has revived the Netzarim and now claims to be the 16th Paqid. He was not initially accepted by the orthodox Jewish community, but has more recently received recognition from the Chief Rabbi of Israel. Van Nest claims that the Netzarim were instigators of the Jewish revolts in A.D. 70 and A.D. 134? He now lives in Israel with his wife and daughter Yael.

There seems to be an overall confusion in this post over the modern House of David.

To begin:
1. Davidic lineage is very well-documented amongst Jews, we know who is of the line of David and who is not. For most of history following the destruction of the Temple, the Jewish people were led by Exilarchs (the Reish Galuta), these individuals were known as Nasi (Prince), they held a political position, and at various points in history, even had autonomy for the Jews of Babylonia.
2. Most descendants of David are actually Ashkenazi, because Rashi was of the line of David, and many Ashkenazi people trace their line back to him. One well known Davidite of modern times was the Lubavitcher Rebbe of blessed memory.
3. There are no formal "families" per say of Davidites, and unlike the Priests/Kohanim, they usually didn't adopt special surnames to show their status. The number of Davidites is usually given around ~600,000, the number of Priests ~500,000, and then number of Levites ~2,000,000-4,500,000. (the first number representing confirmed Levites, the latter being patrilineal Levites who either don't know they are, or only have a Levite surname [Levin/Levitz/Levi/etc].

The rest of Jews belong to the other Tribes, I for one, am of the tribe of Benjamin.

In some rare cases, where male converts were accepted (which was rare, due to persecution), the child and all his descendants would thus not be Israelites, and wouldn't have a tribe. It is impossible to know how many of the non-identified tribe Jews are truly patrilineally converts, simply because all Jews, irrespective of descent are considered descendants of Abraham.

We also have evidence many Jews matrilineally descend from the tribe of Shimon/Simeon, this of course, doesn't mean they belong to that tribe. Just that, due in large part to the near extinction of it, very few people can actually claim descent from Simeon. There's a small possibility, that during the Roman period, the remnant of Simeon were considered part of the tribe of Judah, meaning even male Judahites, could be theoretically of the line of Simeon, but of course, this would be only in the cases (rare as they are) where Jews don't have their full genealogical records.

I for one, not only know the names of all my ancestors, but also their locations and in some cases (especially the last 400 years) their secular occupation [if they had one].

I come from a Rabbinical family, thus I have many Rabbis in my ancestry.

As to who Yehudah HaNasi is? He is the compiler of the Mishnah, and lived around 135CE, the same time as the Bar Kochba revolt against Rome. His name in English is "Judah the Prince", and he is regarded as a great sage of the Mishnaic period.

Discussion of religious or theological issues which have no relevance to the thread topic have been and will continue to be removed.

Warren
TRF Administrator

very good! the whole world is going mad! at least here the issue of religion and belief should be put aside!

The Special Status of the Davidic Dynasty

The Jews had a monarchy lasting just over 420 years from Saul, David and Solomon right through to Zedekiah. A new monarchy/command and control structure/organisation with its HQ as the House for All Nations/Temple Mount/Noble Sanctuary could encompass : Jerusalem; The State of Israel; Judea and Samaria/The West Bank; Gaza; Jordan; Syria; Lebanon; Egypt and Saudi Arabia. The current GDP of these areas is $1.6 Trillion. If peace unfolds in the region this can grow by at least 5% p.a. over the next thirty eight years.

Two good references on the subject of Jewish monarchy are...

"A Short History of the Jewish People" by Cecil Roth, 1936.

"The Special Status of the Davidic Dynasty" by Rav Mosheh Lichtenstein, 5772.

I apologize if this is off topic because it doesn't have to do with David or the Ancient Kings of Israel.
Does anyone know if any member of a royal family since about 1500 ever married someone Jewish or had a Jewish mistress? Or were Jews in various countries only allowed to become part of the nobility and never allowed to marry into royal families? JW THanx

The Davidic Monarchy

An interesting article on the subject is...

"The Special Status of the Davidic Dynasty" by Rav Mosheh Lichtenstein

Comments welcome.

Well there are Jewish nobility like the family Rothchild, Baron Hirsch and others, but they have no connection to King David and his descendants.There were also the Hasmoneans, the leaders and self made kings in the times of the ancients Greeks. Being Jewish myself, I do know that the Royal house of Judah was known well into Byznatine times, and there was a head of the house known as "Nasi" But today we are scattered to all corners of the earth, and very few today have lineage to the ancient kings of Israel

My Spanish ancestors are from the House of Nasi. I'm a direct descendant of Nasi-Benveniste-haLevy-Dela Caballeria of Spain and France. I know Nasi is from the line of David I'm still working on what is between Isaac ben Josef Benveniste Nasi (my 24th Great Grandfather) and King David.

I apologize if this is off topic because it doesn't have to do with David or the Ancient Kings of Israel.
Does anyone know if any member of a royal family since about 1500 ever married someone Jewish or had a Jewish mistress? Or were Jews in various countries only allowed to become part of the nobility and never allowed to marry into royal families? JW THanx

Yes! Once born a Jew you are always a Jew through the mothers line! Just because a Jewish person converts it does not erase the fact that they are still Jewish. This is why in Spain a Jewish convert was not allowed to marry an "old Christian" The converts were labeled as "new Christians"

Many marriages took place among royalty to converts. King Ferdinands Grandmother (Henriquez) was a New Christian from a family of Converso Jews. This is a part of my own direct family tree.

:previous:

I'm afraid any credibility this article might have had evaporated as soon as I read the following line:
Christian IX of Denmark may have been the son of Louis XVII.

This is such a great thread! Thanks to all! I see that not all converge on what may be the facts, but if one really put all of these posts together (monumental effort) one could come up with something that might be "the facts". I am fascinated that several here claim Jewish descent.
I believe I have SOME Jewish descent because my matrilineal DNA was revealed when I was gene tested for another reason entirely. My descent J1c2b is said to be from ancient Israel and or the territories out of which Abraham emerged, and 11% of Irish people in Ireland have this descent (my mother was 100% Irish for many generations).
Furthermore, on my dad's side, I descend from the Pollock family of 12th century Scotland, who served the to-be Stuarts both in England and then Scotland, and the first names of generations of descendants of the "founders", Peter Pollock and Robert Pollock, were "Jewish" such as Perez de Pollock and Peretz de Pollock. From this line I got my Porphyria gene, which is why I was researching the family at all.

The claimed descent of the British royals from David runs, I have read in many sources, through Tia Tephi, daughter of Zedekiah, who was taken in exile to Ireland by Baruch, who married a descendant of Perez, son of Judah, who already had emigrated to Ireland. There is also a story of a sister of Tia Tephi, who also escaped the destruction of Zedekiah's household, and who stayed in Spain. Her name was Zara, which raises interesting thoughts about the name of Princess Anne's daughter. This is what is recorded many places but I would certainly bow to any of the Jewish posters who would discount it.
Here in New Mexico, USA, where I presently live, there are many descendants of "new Christians" from Spain. In fact, it is thought that all of the original Spanish settlers of Santa Fe (the oldest capitol in America) were of hidden Jewish descent. I know many people descended from those few original names. The Prince and Princess of Astrurias visited Santa Fe on the 400th anniversary of its founding.

I intend to try to get some of the books mentioned on this thread. Here is another one, which may be only partly accurate, but is interesting: "When Scotland Was Jewish," which recounts the tales of full or part Jewish immigrants who went to Scotland in the Middle Ages to escape persecution. The authors also have a book on the "hidden Jews" of Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. The authors, whose names I forget, claim the "Stuart" family of Scotland was among the many Jewish descendants; I would suspect that the Stuart line might be a partial Jewish descent, but that is just my supposition.

I am in disagreement with the Gardiner books about the Holy Grail. I read both versions, the first being entirely different from the second. The first one had a good genealogy in it, which, however, did not go back far enough to prove descent from the Jesus or Jesus' family. The second one did not have the genealogy in it, but was more a companion piece to the fictional story about Roslyn Abbey.

Prince Michael of Albany was exposed as a fake some years ago.

Tea Tephi was probably a late mediaeval/early modern concoction. as for gardiner, avoid anything by him

Yes Tia Tephi is not in the Bible, I believe, but the escape of Jeremiah and Baruch with the daughters of Zedekiah , after the murder of the male descendants of Zedekiah, is in the Bible. What their names were is not recorded in my Bible (King James version). I know a man in northern Ireland who says the grave of Baruch (Jeremiah's scribe) is near his home. That Jeremiah escaped is clear, but whom he brought with him and to where could be speculative. If he brought the daughters of Zedekiah out of Israel after the slaughter of their brothers, there could be a female line descent there.

The New Testament does record the descent from David of both Joseph and Mary, the parents of Jesus of Nazareth. Gospel writer Matthew records descent through the "cursed" line of Solomon to Joseph, while Luke records the descent through the uncursed line of Nathan, a brother of Solomon and also a son of David, to Mary. People say the genealogies of Jesus in Matthew and Luke are not consistent, but they are consistent if you realize that one is based on descent from Solomon and another is based on descent from Solomon's brother Nathan.

Last edited:
The British Israelite's wrote a letter to Queen Victoria of Britain telling her she was a decent of King David through the Queen of Ireland Teia Tephi the daughter of Zedekiah. Born Jerusalem, Judah, Israel. Queen Victoria wrote them back saying yes she knew.

Back
Top Bottom