Royalty of the Malay, Indonesian and Philippine Archipeligos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MoonlightRhapsody said:
The only tribal group that I can think of that's from the nothern part are the Aeta. I'm not exactly sure if they had an organized hierarchy like the sultanates, but the Aetas are still in the Philippines.

from what I've looked up, the Aetas used to have a king who also acted as the head of the tribe, the judge and protector. the royal lineage and government might have been wiped out as time passed on and their tribe has changed.

MoonlightRhapsody said:
Good question. I don't remember learning about them when I studied in the Philippines. Most of our history lessons started after the Spanish came and went from there.

Like RhapsodyBrat said, however, the chiefdoms and sultanates are more reserved towards the southern part of the country. Probably due to their proximity to Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei. The only tribal group that I can think of that's from the nothern part are the Aeta. I'm not exactly sure if they had an organized hierarchy like the sultanates, but the Aetas are still in the Philippines.

Thanks for the reply.
What about Lapu-Lapu who was the chieftain (king) of Mactan in Cebu & King Humabon of Bohol? What happend to their respective kingdoms?
It would have been nice if there are still descendants of these 2 great kings.

onecoolday said:
Thanks for the reply.
What about Lapu-Lapu who was the chieftain (king) of Mactan in Cebu & King Humabon of Bohol? What happend to their respective kingdoms?
It would have been nice if there are still descendants of these 2 great kings.

Raja (other sources say 'Datu') Humabon was the husband of Queen Juana and they were, along with 400 of their people, the first converts to Christianity when Magellan came to the Philippines so most probably, their descendants lost some or maybe all of their royal status when they became Christians and became subjugated to foreign rule. King Humabon is also not from Bohol, he is from Cebu.

Raja Humabon reportedly took the name Carlos as his Christian name when he converted, but there are not that many sources to verify this.

as it happened, Humabon and Lapu-lapu were at war so when King Humabon converted into Christianity, Magellan agreed to fight Lapu-lapu for Humabon out of gratitude for the latter's hospitality. however, and as we all know, Magellan was killed in that fight.

i'm still looking up more info on Lapu-lapu and his descendants. hopefully when i get to the National Historical Institute this week i can get some info.:flowers:

Last edited:
onecoolday said:
I was wondering what ever happened to the Datus, Rajas & Sultans in the Philippines after the Spanish came? Are their descendants still in the country?

glad that i dropped by here...
and im amazed to see that there are others who still wonder what happen to the Philippine royalty....
Heres a brief history...
*300 years the islands were under spanish government (its called Philippines because it was under king Philip of Spain by the time it was colonized)
*Luzon and Visayas was conquered so the Datus, Rajas and Sultans of that area were already gone though their descendants may still exist
*Mindanao island was never conquered royalties still live on until world war 2
and as i was told by some mindanaoans Phillippines was then called Maharlika
there are about 8 major tribes in mindanao all of them have their sultans and datus that still exist....
my professor in my university is a princess in sulu.... my co-worker now is a princess in tawi-tawi....
my great grandfather was the last datu of Bagobo-Tagabawa tribe in mindanao... my father is trying to bring back the tradition and the small kingdom...

i hope i did answer you question.....
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Byaneng Celine said:
*300 years the islands were under spanish government (its called Philippines because it was under king Philip of Spain by the time it was colonized)

no, King Philip was not yet king when we were named after him by Ruy Lopez de Villalobos. i believe he was still crown prince at that time. if memory serves me right, the king at that time was Carlos III.

Byaneng Celine said:
*Mindanao island was never conquered royalties still live on until world war 2 and as i was told by some mindanaoans Phillippines was then called Maharlika

is this true? or was the name Maharlika just limited to the areas of Mindanao?

Byaneng Celine said:
my professor in my university is a princess in sulu.... my co-worker now is a princess in tawi-tawi...my great grandfather was the last datu of Bagobo-Tagabawa tribe in mindanao... my father is trying to bring back the tradition and the small kingdom...

so we have a legit royalty here!:lol: welcome to TRF! i am fascinated by the Bagobos (i love their weaving designs) and i hope you can further introduce us to your clan/tribe. and i think it's wonderful that you are trying to bring back the traditions and the kingdom. it's about time, before it's all lost and forgotten. you've got my support.;)

Last edited:
RhapsodyBrat said:

no, King Philip was not yet king when we were named after him by Ruy Lopez de Villalobos. i believe he was still crown prince at that time. if memory serves me right, the king at that time was Carlos III.

well im not sure if he was king by then all i know is that the country was named after him...

RhapsodyBrat said:
is this true? or was the name Maharlika just limited to the areas of Mindanao?

im not sure if all of Philippine Islands.... but the Islands were named maharlika back then....
RhapsodyBrat said:
so we have a legit royalty here!:lol: welcome to TRF! i am fascinated by the Bagobos (i love their weaving designs) and i hope you can further introduce us to your clan/tribe. and i think it's wonderful that you are trying to bring back the traditions and the kingdom. it's about time, before it's all lost and forgotten. you've got my support.;)

Really thats nice to know that you like the weaving designs... yes i would love to further introduce you to our tribe as well as the United Nations of Mindanao....
Well yah exactly after the destruction that WW2 have caused the culture and traditon of the tribes in mindanao... Some have actually married slaves and commoners....

Byaneng Celine said:
well im not sure if he was king by then all i know is that the country was named after him...

yes, Philip II wasn't king yet then. The king at that time Charles I (Holy Roman Emperor Charles V) who ruled from 1516 to 1556. His son Philip II succeeded him that same year and ruled until 1598. i actually made a mistake in my earlier post (i said there Carlos III) -- hee hee sorry!:blush:

Byaneng Celine said:
im not sure if all of Philippine Islands.... but the Islands were named maharlika back then...

i looked it up and is it turns out, the country was once known as "Maharlika.";) that was before the Spaniards came. i don't know which tribe gave that name, but i'll try to find out.

Byaneng Celine said:
Really thats nice to know that you like the weaving designs... yes i would love to further introduce you to our tribe as well as the United Nations of Mindanao....
Byaneng Celine said:
Well yah exactly after the destruction that WW2 have caused the culture and traditon of the tribes in mindanao... Some have actually married slaves and commoners....

what caused the inter-class marriage? is it one of the early manifestations that the culture in on the decline? and why only after WW2?

thanks!:flowers:

RhapsodyBrat said:
yes, Philip II wasn't king yet then. The king at that time Charles I (Holy Roman Emperor Charles V) who ruled from 1516 to 1556. His son Philip II succeeded him that same year and ruled until 1598. i actually made a mistake in my earlier post (i said there Carlos III) -- hee hee sorry!:blush:

well yah... it was 1521 right when spanish came...(my lucky guess)...
its ok .... i wasnt even right saying philip was already king... ahaha....

RhapsodyBrat said:
i looked it up and is it turns out, the country was once known as "Maharlika.";) that was before the Spaniards came. i don't know which tribe gave that name, but i'll try to find out.

well sanskrit is one of the oldest language... it may not be a specific tribe but the whole of southeast asia named it maharlika(my quess)
since way back there is just one language in most of asia... while other people move into different island they tend to change the grammar and some of the words...
even all the dialect of the Philippines was just from one language and through time it change in different places...
lexico-statistics can explain it...
i was then told it was named maharlika because its where royalties of different asian countries go to this islands and take their vacations until they began to love the place and live on different islands .... (now you dont have to wonder why every island have a certain king who speaks different langauge, wear different clothes and follow different tradition....) then spanish came and the rest is history

RhapsodyBrat said:
what caused the inter-class marriage? is it one of the early manifestations that the culture in on the decline? and why only after WW2?

thanks!:flowers:

my grandmother tell me stories of the war and before it...
before the war there were still datus, warriors, bai's, byanengs, slaves and commoners.... and strictly they follow royal+royal, slave+slave marriages..
during the war there was chaos... people of different class were all in the middle of the Japanese and American war.... all were running away to safety...
after the war there was civilization and human rights which made everyone equal.... so inter-class marriage was already ok...
inter-class marriage is not the main cause of the the cultures decline but civilization and industrialization plus Philippine governance of Luzon...

i hope i was able to answer all you questions...

It's amazing how vastly different history teaching is in the different main islands. I lived in Manila so I rarely heard anything before the Spanish came and the history of Mindanao. My dad was born in Davao del Sur, but it was way, way post-WWII and he went to school in Manila. It's very interesting to learn all these new things about my country. Thanks so much for the information! =D

MoonlightRhapsody said:
It's amazing how vastly different history teaching is in the different main islands. I lived in Manila so I rarely heard anything before the Spanish came and the history of Mindanao. My dad was born in Davao del Sur, but it was way, way post-WWII and he went to school in Manila. It's very interesting to learn all these new things about my country. Thanks so much for the information! =D

yah...its really different... yah, its seldom discussed in the north part of the Phil. and some people in Manila never knows that some of there classmates of co-workers are royalties..... the son of the datu in lanao graduated at UP diliman....

really your dad was born in Mindanao.... Where specifically in davao del sur?
is his parents also from mindanao or just migrants?

Flag of the Jamalasi Royal Family of Tawi-Tawi Kingdom

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 520
If you have time to read and know more about what happen to some Philippine Royal Families....

The Manila Times Internet Edition | SPECIAL REPORT > Squatters threaten lumad’s hold on SC-approved indigenous land

The Manila Times Internet Edition | SPECIAL REPORT > Claimants’ dispute threatens legacy; B’laans recall flight from homeland

The Manila Times Internet Edition | SPECIAL REPORT > Conflicts among Mindanao lumads undermine claim to ancestral lands

The Manila Times Internet Edition | SPECIAL REPORT > Shortcuts jeopardize SC decision granting ancestral land to ‘lumad’

The Manila Times Internet Edition | SPECIAL REPORT > Alcantaras cast long, bloody shadow over ‘lumad’ lands

This is not only in General Santos but its actually the whole of Mindanao and other parts of the Philippines.
Royal families have been fighting for their ancestral domain in all tribes.
And these tribes were also the ones who are in the middle of the war between the army and terrorist which is happening now in some parts of Mindanao.

wow, i didn't know WMSU was their royal uni! a lot of my cousins, aunts and uncles went to study there (my family's actually from the south too) ;)

RhapsodyBrat said:
wow, i didn't know WMSU was their royal uni! a lot of my cousins, aunts and uncles went to study there (my family's actually from the south too) ;)
well yeah it is...
amazing right...
really thats so cool..

Last edited by a moderator:
East Timorese royalty.

Here's a section that will be of interest to those who are interested in very obscure monarchies in Asia & the Far East.This time,it is about the monarchies that are located in what is now East Timor & their reigning families.

If you have anything to contribute,please let us know.

Aidan.

this is my picture with His Highness Cokorda Pemecutan (the current reigning Prince from the House of Pemecutan) in his Palace called Puri Pemecutan, Denpasar Bali, last year.

friends144.jpg

Last week the third daughter of His Royal Highness Sultan Hamengkubwono X of the Jogjakarta Hadiningrat getting married. The Royal Wedding was celebrated with royal traditions except the parade around the City with the royal carriage. Many Indonesian Kings, Sultans, and princes attended the wedding. The high official from the government of the Republic Indonesia and foreign ambassadors also attended both ceremony and the receptions.

detikFoto

HH the Sultan on the Wedding ceremony. In Javanese Royal Tradition the groom doesn't meet the bride until the ceremony is over.

detikFoto

The Bride and Groom after the religious ceremony. Both wearing the Jogjakarta Royal Wedding Dress.

detikFoto

Both the bride and groom and TH the Sultan and the Queen Hemas, receiving greetings from H.E. the Vice President of Indonesia.

detikFoto

TH the Sultan and the Queen Hemas, with the Vice President and his wife, Madame Mufidah Yusuf Kala.

this are some pictures of the Sultanate of Deli. Located in North Sumatra, Indonesia.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/Bazote/IMG_0240.jpg

this is the only image of the current Sultan that i can find. His name is Sri Sultan Mahmud Aria Lamanjiji Perkasa Alam Shah, the 14th Sultan of Deli and the youngest ever. He inherits the throne when his father died on plane crash in 2005.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/Bazote/g9.jpg

this is the Royal Palace called Istana Maimoon. It's open for public all year.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/Bazote/05-1.jpg

the throne of the Sultanate of Deli.

Back
Top Bottom