Royalty of South Africa

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my wanderings through Royal Houses, I stumbled upon the Zulus of South Africa. What I read astonished me and thought it might be interesting to some. So here is a thread about the Zulu Royals and its outspoken King.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=vn20050912060319623C468335

Zulu king defiant on virginity testing ban
September 12 2005 at 12:46AM [size=+1][/size]By Xoliswa Zulu

An emotional King Goodwill Zwelithini deviated from his prepared speech at the royal reed dance in Nongoma on Saturday and said he would rather be thrown in jail than let the virginity testing tradition he revived 21 years ago be abolished.

The reed dance sees thousands of Zulu maidens gather to celebrate and declare their virginity. Some get tested to prove that they are still virgins.

The Children’s Right’s Bill, which was passed in July by the National Assembly but awaits approval from the National Council of Provinces, bans virginity testing, saying it violates the human rights of girls.

The king has defended virginity testing, saying it decreases the rate of HIV infection in the province.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?...&click_id=6&art_id=vn20050912091727798C619897

Another controversial topic from this outspoken King:
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=6&art_id=vn20050912091727798C619897

Zulu king slams gays Bongani Mthembu
September 12 2005 at 10:37AM [size=+1][/size]Zulu monarch King Goodwill Zwelithini has lashed out at homosexuals, accusing them of confusing children and tarnishing the image of the Zulu nation.

Addressing more than 20 000 maidens and guests during the annual Reed Dance festival held at his Enyokeni Royal Palace in Nongoma at the weekend, Zwelithini said homosexuality was a threat to the Zulu nation's rich moral teachings, adding that the new "habit" of feeling attracted to people of same sex was against African values.

"The Zulu nation would not be this big, with millions of people, if there was the problem of gay people that we have today. This new behaviour is quickly becoming a threat in our nation because it encourages people not to have proper families that have children.

A lone candle for Princess Stella
A CANDLE has been lit in Eastern Pondoland to signify that the amaMpondomise AseQaukeni are mourning the death of their princess and Public Works Minister Stella Sigcau. Sigcau died of heart and kidney-related problems in St Augustine Hospital in Durban at the weekend.
...Her brother, East Pondoland King Mpondombini Sigcau, yesterday said: “It’s our tradition as amaMpondo to light the candle. We lit it on Sunday and it will be kept burning until my sister is laid to rest. It’s also a sign of respect for the deceased.”

This one is an article obituary that has a picture of their beloved Princess Stella Sigcau:
AmaMpondo nation mourns Nkosazana, My heart is destroyed, says King Sigcau

Last edited:
The Kings of the Pondo tribe in South Africa
Dynasty: abaNyawuza

I have to say that one thing that fascinates me on these African Royals, (King of the Swazis excluded!) is their goal to get not only the best international education they can achieve but use it toward something good. Like their mission in life as Royals is to help out their fellow Africans. When we draw comparisons with a few of the most profiled Euro Royals' new generation, we see just lives meant to exist in a never ending party while their African counterparts not only emphazise the importance of higher education but the use of it to a greater cause.

Last edited:
Shaka Zulu's brutality was exaggerated, says new book

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Rory Carroll in Johannesburg
Monday May 22, 2006

Shaka Zulu, the 19th-century warrior king dubbed Africa's Napoleon, was not the bloodthirsty military genius of historical depiction, says new research.
[/FONT]

Tembu king faces trial without a lawyer
June 23 2006 at 11:07AM By Alex Eliseev
some quotes

In the eleventh hour of his trial, Tembu King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo's advocate has "abandoned" him...
...Dalindyebo, a relative of Nelson Mandela, has pleaded not guilty to 26 charges including murder, kidnapping, arson and extortion.

The state has alleged that he took part in the savage beating of three men, suspected of being criminals; ordered the fatal beating of a fourth subject, an 18-year-old youth; torched three homesteads of "disobedient" residents who refused to pay fines; and kidnapped a woman and her six children...

another article, same author:
Accused king cracks during testimony
June 22 2006 at 02:35PM

King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo's grandfather had said he felt confident on Tuesday as the Tembu leader began testifying in his murder, kidnapping and arson trial.

But on Wednesday Golonti Manteme, 69, watched as Dalindyebo cracked under heavy cross-examination from the state and admitted that he was confused.

While taking the stand at the Mthatha High Court, Dalindyebo - a relative of Nelson Mandela - was grilled by state prosecutor Nigel Carpenter over discrepancies in his evidence...

In another article his relationship with Mandela is listed as 'nephew'

Tembu king released on R6000 bail
By Ncedo Kumbaca

Something about the peole and the Kingdom of Tembu:

Tembu, Encyclopedia Britannica

an article from 1999 that has information on President Mandela and his Tembu royal family:

Tembu elders welcome 'Nosizwe'
JOHANNESBURG -- President Nelson Mandela formally introduced his wife of 10 months, Graça Machel, to elders from his royal Tembu Xhosa clan at his birthplace, Qunu, in the Eastern Cape...

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information about the Kingdom of Bafokeng,which is a Tswana kingdom located near Rustenburg,South Africa? Is there an official website?

Does anyone have any information about the Kingdom of Barotseland,which is located in western Zambia? It was a protected state within Northern Rhodesia prior to independence.The King of Barotseland is called the Litunga.
The Litunga is to Zambia that the Kabaka of Buganda is to Uganda.

Aidan.

The Rain Queen Dynasty, will it continue?

To those who are unfamiliar.

The Kingdom of Balobedu is a Bantu Tribe within South Africa. They are lead by a female monarch, the Rain Queen.

It was the only monarchy in the world to be matrilineal "salic" law. The throne goes from mother to eldest daughter with the total exclusion of males.

The last Rain Queen, Makobo Modjadji, died in 2005. She has two issue, Prince Lekukena and Princess Masalanabo. But since her only daughter is fathered by a commoner, it is unlikely that she'll be accepted as a legitimate heir. Her son is also fathered by a commoner and the elders refuse to accept either children as legitimate.

Should they allow her daughter to be the new queen even though she's fathered by a commoner? And if they do decide to her daughter succeed, should they also allow for male succession (Rain King) to ensure the dynasty's survival? Or is this the end of the monarchy?

http://www.tzaneen.co.za/ice/modjadji_history.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_Queen
http://www.earthfoot.org/lit_zone/modjadji.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makobo_Modjadji
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/06/21/wrain21.xml

Royalist0007 said:
Does anyone have any information about the Kingdom of Bafokeng,which is a Tswana kingdom located near Rustenburg,South Africa? Is there an official website?

Does anyone have any information about the Kingdom of Barotseland,which is located in western Zambia? It was a protected state within Northern Rhodesia prior to independence.The King of Barotseland is called the Litunga.
The Litunga is to Zambia that the Kabaka of Buganda is to Uganda.

Aidan.

Hi, Royalist0007. I believe there is an official site but I don't have the info... will try to find and send again unless someone else comes up with it.

Here's what I know of Bafokeng so far. It is a small area but important because of platinum mines within its territory. There is a royal family with a relatively young king, or kgosi, who acceded to the thrown in 2000, upon the death of his older brother. HM Kgosi Leruo Tshekedi Molotlegi was born in 1968 and has a degree in architecture and urban planning from Natal University in South Africa and is also a pilot. As far as I know he is still single, but has another brother and two sisters.

Wish I had more info for you. If I can find out more or provide other links I'll let you know.

Mapper

Questions about subnational traditional monarchies in modern republics.

I've read about certain republics like Uganda, South Africa etc where tribal monarchies still persist, with a dynasty that retains a court and often local prestige and influence; some are officially installed with the consent of the official government.

Can someone please explain to me, without linking to Wikipedia, how such a system works? Does the king of Zululand have any significance to a white person in South Africa or a black person from another tribe?

If you are a member of the Zulu tribe and you don't like the concept of a monarchy, do you have to pay respect to the Zulu king anyway? Does these types of kings have any real "subjects"?

Prince Melizwe Dlamini, a relative of Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini, has threatened further court action if his royal claim is not determined in January.
An article - Times Live

The king of the Thembu tribe, Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo - who is Nelson Mandela's nephew - is threatening to secede from South Africa and declare independence.

An article - National Post

Nelson Mandela's grandson Mandla, aged 35, who is the businessman and Mvezo tribal leader in the Eastern Cape celebrated taking the 19 years old girl as his second bride a few hours after his first wife had sued him for polygamy and had his bank accounts frozen. - Times Live

King Goodwill Zwelithini will be limited to 24 local trips and three abroad, while the government will now pay to maintain a fleet of 22 vehicles for him and his family, down from 32 in previous years.

These measures are among attempts to contain the runaway expenses of the Zulu royal household. They include restrictions on local and international travel by the king and his queens.
Full article - iol.co.za
Also in Times Live

Socialite and businessman Sifiso Zulu, who is a director of 29 companies and close corporations, and a member of Zulu royal family, claims he is a man of straw with no money to settle an almost R5 million debt he owes to provincial development finance provider Ithala.

And unless he can explain to the Durban High Court how he intends to pay back the money, he will be provincially sequestrated and his financial affairs will be put under the scrutiny of a court-appointed trustee. - Full article

King Goodwill Zwelithini launches the circumcision campaign

Over two million men will be circumcised in South Africa in a bid to combat the spread of HIV/AIDS, a report said.
The project will be launched Sunday in KwaZulu-Natal region by King Goodwill Zwelithini, Premier Zweli Mkhize was quoted as saying by BuaNews Friday.
Full article - Thaindian News

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Dr Zweli Mkhize announced during his budget vote on the royal household that the trust was ready to oversee the Zulu monarch's budget and expenditure.
The seven-member trust, chaired by Judge Jerome Ngwenya, is expected to make the Zulu royal household self-sufficient.
King Goodwill - the most pampered of South Africa's monarchs - was allocated R40-million by the provincial government this year.- Times Live

Statue of king Shaka Zulu removed from the Durban airport

A statue of Shaka Zulu has been removed from the new airport in South Africa's port city of Durban after complaints about the warrior king's portrayal.
In it he is unarmed and surrounded by cattle, but some think the king should have a spear, shield and wild animals.
The current Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini has also questioned the statue's airport location, reports say.
Once an agreement has been reached on a new design, the statue will be put back up, officials say. - BBC
King Shaka Zulu - the founder of KwaZulu kingdom

King of Nelson Mandela's Thembu clan died at 39 years old

South Africa's governing party says the king of Nelson Mandela's Thembu clan has died.
In a statement, the African National Congress said King Zwelenkosi Lwandile Matanzima "worked tirelessly to improve the lives of his people and rural communities in general."

He was 39. No cause of death was reported. Local media report he had recently been hospitalized frequently and died Saturday in a hospital in East London, in southeastern South Africa.
Obituary
A royal battle against the bottle - Dispatch Online

My condolences to His Late Majesty's People and Family.

HRH the Princess Mbali was hurt in a stampede by thousands of football fans outside a stadium in South Africa, before a World Cup friendly match between Nigeria and North Korea. - AlJazeera

Princess Mbali, who was wearing a green South African shirt, said: “When we were coming in they were just stepping on us. I thought I was dying.”- AFP

Princess brought a case against King to court

The Commission on Gender Equality (South Africa) is being asked to rule on royal succession after Princess NomaXhosa Sigcawu of the AmaGcaleka Kingdom brought a case before them arguing that, as daughter of the senior consort to the late King Zwelidumile, she should have succeeded to the tribal throne instead of her brother, currently King Xolilizwe. The CGE is put in a rather difficult position by this since the laws and constitution of South Africa do tend to go against the spirit of monarchy and royal succession but nonetheless allow these to exist within the framework of the state in an unofficial capacity. The leader of the Congress of Traditional Leaders has said that royal succession is about tradition and the laws of the government have no bearing on them.
More articles on the topic here, here and here

Batlokwa [South Africa]

Five years after installing their paramount chief, there now appears to be simmering tensions in the Batlokwa tribe as the royal family is reportedly divided over Puso Gaborone’s chieftaincy.
Information passed to The Sunday Standard suggests that some members within the Batlokwa royal family are divided over the chieftainship. - The Sunday Standard

Batlokwa royal family

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom