Royalty of South Africa

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
THE newly declared monarch of AmaMpondo, King Zanozuko Tyelovuyo Sigcau, agrees that his first challenge is to reunite the kingdom so that it can be restored to its former glory.

Sigcau, 35, was pronounced the new king of all AmaMpondo by President Jacob Zuma on July29.- Daily Dispatch Online

DNA testing discover's man's roots in African royalty

William Holland, a genealogical researcher living in Atlanta occured to be a member of ruling family of the West African nation of Cameroon. - msnbc.com

More at DNA worldwide

I would like to know do the royalty of South Africa have to pay taxes? I think that it would be strange to make royalty pay taxes as I thought that it was the King or Queen's government, that is almost like paying taxes to one's self?? That doesn't make much sense to me. It would also make sense if the royalty held diplomatic immunity.

The Queen of the Mankessim Traditional Area in Ghana, Nana Ama Amissah III, has called for the preservation of African cultures for the benefit of future generations.
The Queen said this when she called on the King of the Kingdom of Swaziland, His Majesty , and the Queen, Her Majesty Indlovukazi, in Swaziland.
The Mankessim Queen was invited to the Kingdom by the Royal Family to witness the ‘Reed Cultural Dance’ festival of maidens from across Swaziland and to explore the possibility of organising a cultural exchange programme between the Kingdom and her traditional area. - Ghana News

The horn relied on to magically bring rain on Limpopo is at the center of the row between two feuding royal families - the Mojiadjis and the Mokotos - since 2008. - The Sowetan

South African women chiefs feel threatened

The prevalence of disputes over traditional leadership is a life-threatening challenge - more so to the women chiefs at KwaZulu Natal - Sowetan

A new soccer tournament has been established in honour of late Prince Oupa Moilwa who was son-in-law of the King Goodwill Zwelethini - Sowetan

24 years old commoner Zola Mafu is to become the King of Zulu Zwelithini's sixth wife.
They have a daughter already. - Times of Swaziland
Times Live article claimes that it's a boy:ermm:

[FONT=times new roman,times]The Zulu King has reportedly paid lobola to the Mafu family, at a cost to the South African taxpayer of E264 000. [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]The ceremony was reportedly delayed by disagreements between Zola’s parents, over who should receive the lobola. [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]The situation was so serious that the Swazi royal household was said to have intervened and helped calm the feud, according to Ilanga.[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]Princess Mantfombi, sister to King Mswati III, is Zwelithini’s first wife.

[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]The money spent on Mafu’s lobola was revealed last year during a budget speech by the KwaZulu-Natal Finance and Economic Development MEC, Zweli Mkhize.
[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]During his speech, Mkhize announced that King Zwelithini’s annual budget for 2009 had been increased by E3 million to E42.4 million.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Zulu king: hands off our ceremony - Times Live

Zulu men who attended one of KwaZulu-Natal's oldest ritual ceremonies, the annual First Fruits Celebration (Umkhosi Wokweshwama), prepare to kill a bull with their bare hands. Animal rights activists want the ceremony banned.

South Africa's kings without clout yearn for full, traditional powers - The Globe and Mail

The kings of South Africa, ranging from a flamboyant Zulu monarch to a pragmatic Bafokeng mining tycoon, occupy an ambiguous position today.
They have been rewarded with privileges, rank and money – yet they lack the full powers for which they still yearn. They hover on the margins of South Africa’s political elite, trying to edge closer.
They dream of sovereignty, yet are painfully conscious of their largely ceremonial role and their dependence on government largesse.

There are a dozen tribal kings in South Africa, but a government commission concluded this year that only six of the kings – including King Dalindyebo – are fully legitimate. The Thembu king is one of the most prestigious because the anti-apartheid hero, Nelson Mandela, is a member of the Thembu tribe and had close connections to its royal house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vusani Tshivhase is a Fulbright scholar who happens to be the daughter of a king.
Tshivhase’s father is king of the Venda tribe in a rural corner of northeast corner of South Africa.
“We do have — I guess you could call it a palace. It’s not like the Buckingham Palace — it’s more traditional.” - Full article + photo

Zulu Queen Mother reburied

AFP: Zuma holds memorial for reburied queen of S.Africa's Zulus
President Jacob Zuma held a memorial service Sunday for the Queen Mother Thomozile Jezangani KaNdwandwe Zulu of South Africa's Zulu people, who was reburied after a more than two-year search for her remains.
The final resting place of the queen, who died in the 1950s in her early 30s, had been unknown.
The current king, who was just 11 years old when she died, made a life-long mission of finding her grave and reburying her according to Zulu tradition.
After a lengthy search that was drawn out by legal red tape, Durban officials announced they had found a grave containing the remains of a woman named Thoko Zulu and carried out DNA tests that identified her as the queen.
More info
Top brass honour Zulu Queen - Times LIVE
** Pic ** - credits Getty via daylife

Last edited:
Zulu royal soap opera resembles Bold & Beautiful - Times LIVE
Details of the royal scandal surfaced following last Saturday's reburial of the queen after King Goodwill insisted she be given a royal sendoff after her remains were found in a commoner's grave two years ago.
Buverud this week likened Queen Thomo's fall from grace to the British scandal of Princess Diana and Prince Charles. She said that, according to the chief native commissioner, the queen sought comfort in the arms of another man "because of the neglect and loneliness she suffered as a consequence of her husband's affair with his former teacher, Joyce MaJali".

Bulawayo24 NEWS | Virginity not purity
Princess Thembi Zulu-Ndlovu, organiser of the largest virginity test in South Africa, which takes place in conjunction with the royal reed dance ceremony for maidens every year in September, was recently quoted as saying the main reason for the testing is to maintain the purity of a woman and to help prevent the spread of diseases.
The Children’s Rights Bill in South Africa makes it illegal for the tests to take place, but the practice is still rife in some areas.

Monaco princely couple snub Zulu king and SAR president for wedding

No wedding invitation for Zuma, Zwelithini - Sowetan LIVE
While Swaziland's King Mswati III has been invited, Zulu Monarch King Goodwill Zwelithini has not received an invitation.

Monaco royal couple snub Zuma - Times LIVE
While Swaziland's King Mswati has been invited to the cocktail party, Zulu monarch King Goodwill Zwelithini has not received an invitation.
The Zulu king's spokesman, Mbonisi Zulu said the royal household was unaware of the function and that it was not on the king's diary.

King's efforts recognised - Sowetan LIVE
ZULU monarch King Goodwill Zwelithini's fight against the spread of HIV and Aids has earned him recognition from the Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies - a research hub in the rural area of Mtubatuba, in KwaZulu-Natal.

BusinessDay - Princess takes claim to Xhosa throne to court
WE ARE ready for them," says King Zwelonke Sigcawu’s spokesman, Zolani Mkiva, about the Commission for Gender Equality, which is launching a legal challenge over who is entitled to reign over the amaXhosa — King Zwelonke Sigcawu, or Princess NomaXhosa Sigcawu.

The commission and Princess NomaXhosa have not lodged court papers yet, so the basis of their case is still unclear. But it may be the case that pits gender equality rights squarely against cultural rights — both protected by the constitution.

see also post # 29

DJ fights new Zulu war
A popular radio DJ has put SARS, the customs department and the Department of Agriculture in the dock for destroying his “rubbish” and “foot and mouth infested” Zulu shield at Durban’s King Shaka Airport in May this year.
Hundreds of supporters dressed in traditional Zulu gear and members of the Zulu royal family went to the Durban Equality Court yesterday to give support to Ukhozi FM’s Ngizwe Mchunu, who is suing and demanding an apology from these authorities for defaming him and disrespecting his right to cultural freedom.
Members of the Zulu royal family and several celebrities attended the case. Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini’s brother, Prince Mboniso, told the crowd gathered outside the court that Mchunu had done the right thing by approaching the king to intervene in matter.
“I am here on behalf of the king and he has expressed his full support for this court action because it undermines our very own culture,” Prince Mboniso said. Popular maskandi singer Phuzekhemisi said: “I came to support Ngizwe Mchunu because he is fighting a good battle. This is sad because our own law enforcers and officials are doing these things.
“I think government must take a very strong stance in this matter because this is part of our culture and a nation without culture is a dead nation.”

Durban DJ case postponed: News24: South Africa: News

Zulu

Shield sparks legal row | The New Age Online
Members of the Zulu royal family were among the hundreds of people who descended on the Durban Equality Court during a hearing in which a popular Ukhozi FM DJ is suing three government entities, including the country’s airport company, which he accuses of ill treating him.

For more info see post # 52 in this thread.

Zulu kingdom is turning 200 years old

One of the six Zulu Queens, Queen Ma Zola Mafu dressed in Zulu traditional attire participates during the launch of ' Zulu 200' celebrating the existence of the Zulu Nation at the King Shaka International airport in Durban on October 15, 2011.
The Zulu nation will be celebrating 200 years since its formation by the great Zulu King Shaka in 1816.
Celebrations will run for the next five years culminating in a mass gathering in 2016.

**Pic** - Getty

What a lot of nonsence!! Royalty my ....

:previous:
The Zulu Kingdom has existed in one form or another since 1816 and therefore predates many past and present European monarchies such as Belgium, Bulgaria, Imperial Germany, Greece, Italy, independent Luxembourg, Norway, Romania, Serbia etc. So what's the problem?

:previous:
The Zulu Kingdom has existed in one form or another since 1816 and therefore predates many past and present European monarchies such as Belgium, Bulgaria, Imperial Germany, Greece, Italy, independent Luxembourg, Norway, Romania, Serbia etc. So what's the problem?
The more wives they have, the merrier and of course lots and lots of children!! The Zulutribe believes in polygamy and that is why our President Zuma is already married to 3 women and engaged to another women as well. They also believe (like other tribes in South Africa) to have children before they get married. The Zulu 'Kingdom' originated from Tshaka, a Zulu warrior that was also a very brutal man (even to his own people). I'm sorry, but I will never look upon them the same way as Royals from other countries. You must also remember that we as taxpayers must help provide for them!

The more wives they have, the merrier and of course lots and lots of children!! The Zulutribe believes in polygamy and that is why our President Zuma is already married to 3 women and engaged to another women as well. They also believe (like other tribes in South Africa) to have children before they get married. The Zulu 'Kingdom' originated from Tshaka, a Zulu warrior that was also a very brutal man (even to his own people). I'm sorry, but I will never look upon them the same way as Royals from other countries. You must also remember that we as taxpayers must help provide for them!

Hi, mum. I am not as familiar with the royals/former royals in South Africa as I am with those in Uganda. I hope you don't mind me asking....does the South African constitution mention tribal leaders/chiefs/kings at all? and if so, in what context? I have done more research on Uganda, which only relatively recently restored some level of autonomy on the traditional leaders of different tribes, formally recognizing many of them in the constitution, but at the same time very clearly stating that no one can be forced or coerced to pledge allegiance, loyalty, or be made to contribute financially to any of the traditonal leaders. In addition, none of them may participate in politics.

I understand that the Zulu king has a great deal of influence in the country (and isn't one of his cousins a former prime minister or minister of foreign relations?) and that he sometimes clashes with the government?

On the polygamy/history issue, sorry but I tend to agree with Warren that while not a ruling monarchy, the Zulu tribe under a hereditary monarch predates many current and former monarchies. And with the polygamy, that may be a cultural norm which I cannot criticise, even if I don't personally agree with the practice. Besides, other societies have adapted their cultures away from previous traditions (most recently with the young King of Bhutan who, despite his father's four marriages to a family of sisters, has publicly stated that his new bride will be his only wife) and perhaps change may come in the next generation.

Hi, mum. I am not as familiar with the royals/former royals in South Africa as I am with those in Uganda. I hope you don't mind me asking....does the South African constitution mention tribal leaders/chiefs/kings at all? and if so, in what context? I have done more research on Uganda, which only relatively recently restored some level of autonomy on the traditional leaders of different tribes, formally recognizing many of them in the constitution, but at the same time very clearly stating that no one can be forced or coerced to pledge allegiance, loyalty, or be made to contribute financially to any of the traditonal leaders. In addition, none of them may participate in politics.

I understand that the Zulu king has a great deal of influence in the country (and isn't one of his cousins a former prime minister or minister of foreign relations?) and that he sometimes clashes with the government?

On the polygamy/history issue, sorry but I tend to agree with Warren that while not a ruling monarchy, the Zulu tribe under a hereditary monarch predates many current and former monarchies. And with the polygamy, that may be a cultural norm which I cannot criticise, even if I don't personally agree with the practice. Besides, other societies have adapted their cultures away from previous traditions (most recently with the young King of Bhutan who, despite his father's four marriages to a family of sisters, has publicly stated that his new bride will be his only wife) and perhaps change may come in the next generation.
The minister you refer to is Mangosuthu Buthelezi and he was minister of Home Affairs from 1994 until 2004. Although he served as a Cabinet Minister he was and still is the leader of his own party known as the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP). After the African National Congress (ANC) came to power in 1994 he was appointed as a member of the Cabinet under the leadership of our beloved Madiba (Nelson Mandela). He clashed regularly with the ANC and was also in dispute with the Zulu king because the king wanted more power. Please read more about him on Wikipedia. Just as a matter of interest, we have 11 official languages in South Africa and Zulu is one of them. The Zulu king has no influence in the political side of our country I'm pleased to say. Maybe I was a bit harsh with my first comment on Royalty in South Africa buy thankfully the King of the Zulus is only just that - the king of the Zulutribe.

Back
Top Bottom