The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Once again the same issue concerning a disputed genealogy of the MacKinnon-Mishnish Line has arisen with unfortunately the same passion and paranoia that occurred the last time it erupted.

I am well-acquainted with the personal and defamatory allegations that have been bandied about here (largely deleted) and in some detail to me privately. To be fair I should add that from my observation the paranoia emanates from and is restricted to just one of the parties involved.

>> As both sides have had ample opportunity to state their case any further posts
that persist with this argument
will be deleted without notice. <<

As an aside, one does not need to be a genealogist to question the bona fides and therefore the credibility of an hitherto-unknown individual who claims to have been awarded the Victoria Cross, the George Cross, and the Order of the Garter.

Warren

Administrator

Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

This is a really interesting history, and could be an informative and interesting discussion and friendly exchange of research and views, but im genuinely shocked at some of the tone and venom in many of the posts in this thread.
It makes any further contribution or suggestions fairly pointless.

I also totally agree with Warren's point regarding it being only natural curiosity to question or wonder about such highly decorated claims and awards of an unknown or unproven "expert"!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Gentry

Dear Warren. For the record, as a cadet of the Mackinnon chiefs whose DNA has been tested, I wish to state the following concerning the Mishnish claim:
1. The claim of seniority of the Mishinish cadet line of the Mackinnon clan chiefs is probably correct.
2. I believe the present line of chiefs -the Mackinnons of Acryse is probably a senior branch of my own family the Mackinnons of Kyle- one of who's members , Donald, dissapeared around the time that Chief Lachlan's "younger" son "emigrated to Antigua". Our family is JUNIOR to the Mishinish line
3. Under Brehon law, genealogical seniority is actually irrelevant- money and land ownership is considered more important.
4. Ancient Princess's claim to be descended from King Donald Mac Alpin is a fiction. The "House of Alpin" became extinct in the male line in 1034.
5. It has been reliably proved by several individuals that the male line of the Mackinnon chiefs is descended from Bishop Cormac of Dunkeld who died in 1132. Bishop Cormac may have been great -grandson of King MacBeth. He is listed by all the contemporary annals as a blood prince of King Macbeth's family the Cinel Loairn- a branch of the Scottish royal Dal-Riada clan.
6. The Mishnish claim will be settled by the Lyon Court. The Mackinnon succession must remain within the male line of the Chiefs- whether Mishinish, Kyle, or Acryse.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Gentry

SCOTTISH REPUBLIC?

A recent poll by respected polling agency YouGov, shows that Scots have more pride in the Scottish commedian Billy Connolly than the Queen. The irony is that he is a Unionist , not a Nationalist- so no presidential aspirations for him. As for the Queen, she may be the last Scottish sovereign- unless the Scots decide to bring back the old Gaelic royal house. I have tremendous respect for the Queen- she reminds me a lot of my late Mother. They were both Women from the War generation- strong, loyal, and with selfless devotion to those around them. But her family is German. The House of Windsor is a branch of the House of Wettin, the former royal family of Saxony in Germany. Her ancestors got the British Throne because they were the nearest Protestant relatives of the last Catholic king, James VII & II. The English Parliament wanted no more Catholic monarchs, so it changed the succession, and forced the new succession on the Scots when the Treaty of Union was being negotiated. The previous dynasty, the Stewarts were also imports- they came with William "the Bastard", Duke of Normandy when he invaded England in 1066. The original Gaelic royal house of Scotland was driven out by an English-Viking army in 1054-1058. This family still thrives- many members have recently been identified by DNA profiling. The original English royal family, the House of Cerdic, was driven out by the afore mentioned Duke of Normandy. This family is possibly extinct in the male line- unless they left unrecorded descendants. David Hughes says that the Lougher family of Wales now represents the old Celtic English royal house. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger View Post
There are no real direct decendents of the Kings of Ireland. Generaly speaking anyone from Ireland who has Celtic ancestery is decended from a "Royal Clan," however there is no way to trace through the first born decent to find a True Heir to one or other titles.

All the small Kingdoms passed between various families, and the title of High King also passed between different holders, however the most famous was probably O'Neill. I am not familiour with the McCarthy's (are they from the South - now the Republic?). However many other families, such as my own, are all branches of the House of O'Neill. Therefore many Irish familes are decended from the Kings of Ireland, even if they do not share the same family name, they are often all of the House of O'Neill. After the English took over, several powerful princes of Ireland were given English noble titles, however even here many have since died out.
Technically, there are five direct descendants to the first Royal Family of Ireland that I know of. The first Royals of Ireland were the O'conners of the County Kerry, before that they were known as Tuatha A Dhiannon. Or loosely translated to ' Fairy ( Fey ) Kings'. Over time, this clan became the Kerry's of County Kerry, (still ruling of course) and eventually died out by as the name Kirby. I have done my ancestral tree and traced my grandmother( maternal) back all the way to one of the first O'conners. As well as being a distant cousin to The Clan Macdonald lord, and Fraser lord. And also, tracing a unnamed Royal Stuart in the Macdonald line to the late 1700's. Now I Am working on a rumor from my grandmother that we are related to Louis XIV somehow. So in answer to your question, there are no living Irish Royals.. But I am a descendant, so am able to lay claim if need be.

Personally I'd like to see an independant Scotland.. But not a republic. I like monarchies, but that's probably because I'm descended from one... So I am slightly biased. But still.. The USA is a republic and I don't think it's doing very well.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Aoife of Leinster and Strongbow

Princess Aoife (Eva) was the daughter of the King of Leinster who was forced to marry the Norman Lord,Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (better known as Strongbow).The couple had 2 surviving children,Gilbert de Clare-3rd Earl of Pembroke and Isabel de Clare, 4th Countess of Pembroke.

Princess Aoife was last recorded in a charter of 1188,but seems to vanished from historical records after that.

Aoife MacMurrough - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (1st Creation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I've always been very interested in Princess Aoife's daughter, Isabel de Clare.
Incidentally, it is through Isabel that Queen Elizabeth can claim descent from one of the most prominent High Kings of Iteland, Brian Boru.

Brian Boru -> Tadc -> Toirdelbach -> Muirchertach -> Mor -> Derbforgaill -> Murchad -> Donnchada -> Enna -> Diarmaid -> Princess Aoife -> Isabel de Clare -> Isabel Marshal -> Isabella of Gloucester and Hertford -> Robert, 6th Lord of Annandale -> Robert I of Scotland -> Marjorie -> Robert II of Scotland -> Robert III of Scotland -> James I of Scotland -> James II of Scotland -> James III of Scotland -> James IV of Scotland -> James V of Scotland -> Mary, Queen of Scots -> James VI and I of Scotland and England -> Elizabeth of Bohemia -> Sophia of Hanover -> George I -> George II -> Frederick, Prince of Wales -> George III -> Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn -> Queen Victoria -> Edward VII -> George V -> George VI -> Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Isabel de Clare, 4th Countess of Pembroke is believed to have been buried at the now ruined Cistercian Tintern Abbey,I also read that her mother may have been buried here too.Her father Strongbow is buried at Christchurch Cathedral in Dublin.

I agree Isabel is a highly interesting lady!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

On this day,August 29th,1170 -Marriage of Richard de Clare 'Strongbow' and Princess Aoife of Leinster,daughter of the King of Leinster at Waterford.

Aoife MacMurrough - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (1st Creation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Serene Highness

Elizabeth Chadwick is an author who has written a ton of books, a series of them deals with the daughter of Aoife and her marriage to the Marshal...Aoife makes an appearance as well.

They are fairly accurate in their history.

LaRae
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Many thanks,I'll be sure to check that out
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Commoner

Sorry if im butting in but i am wondering that , i live in ireland but i would love to see our own monarchy , i can't seem to find the blood line of asscsion i need you're help
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarano177 View Post
Sorry if im butting in but i am wondering that , i live in ireland but i would love to see our own monarchy , i can't seem to find the blood line of asscsion i need you're help
Irish Monarchy as in the High Kings?

The last High King was Rory/Ruairi O'Connor

Try this section

Royalty of Scotland and Ireland
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Well, Queen Elizabeth is a direct descendant of Brian Boru, the High King of Ireland:

Brian Boru ->
Tadc ->
Toirdelbach ->
Muirchertach ->
Mor ->
Derbforgaill ->
Murchad ->
Donnchada ->
Enna ->
Diarmaid ->
Aoife ->
Isabel de Clare ->
Isabel Marshal ->
Isabella of Gloucester and Hertford ->
Robert, 6th Lord of Annandale ->
Robert I of Scotland ->
Marjorie of Scotland ->
Robert II of Scotland ->
Robert III of Scotland ->
James I of Scotland ->
James II of Scotland ->
James III of Scotland ->
James IV of Scotland ->
James V of Scotland ->
Mary, Queen of Scots ->
James VI and I of Scotland and England ->
Elizabeth of Bohemia ->
Sophia of Hanover ->
George I of Great Britain ->
George II of Great Britain ->
Frederick, Prince of Wales ->
George III of Great Britain ->
Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ->
Queen Victoria of Great Britain ->
Edward VII of Great Britain->
George V of the United Kingdom ->
George VI of the United Kingdom ->
Elizabeth II
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Commoner

The O'Donovans owned a little kingdom in west cork up to the confederate wars by this time they had their own principality which was aproximately 100,000 acres in size
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The O'Donovans owned a little kingdom in west cork up to the confederate wars by this time they had their own principality which was aproximately 100,000 acres in size
Hi Ciarano177,are you referring to The O'Donovan?

O'Donovan family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Commoner

King James II of Scotland

King James II of Scotland died in an unusual way. And it involved a canon!

Click on the link below to read his story:

King James II of Scotland | The Freelance History Writer
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Commoner

King James III of Scotland

King James III of Scotland was an enigmatic character. Even his family rose up against him!

Click on the link below to read his story.

James III, King of Scotland | The Freelance History Writer
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Commoner

The Battle of Flodden

King James IV died at the Battle of Flodden in September of 1513.

Click on the link below to read a description of the battle.

The Battle of Flodden | The Freelance History Writer
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Commoner

Margaret of Denmark, Queen of Scotland

Margaret of Denmark was Queen to King James III of Scotland. Her marriage brought great territorial advantage to Scotland.

Click on the link to read her story:

Margaret of Denmark, Queen of Scotland | Saints, Sisters, and Sluts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	margaret-of-denmark-queen-of-scotland.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	287346  

Tags
family, history, ireland, irish royalty, pesent, royal, scotland, scottish clans, scottish royalty