Royalty of Croatia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashka

City
Somewhere on earth
Country
Canada
Has anyone heard of the Croatian royalty. I'm Croatian. I know of King Tomislav and Queen Jelena, and I know that they died out in the middle ages. DOes anyone have any info on them at all?

Mashka said:
Has anyone heard of the Croatian royalty. I'm Croatian. I know of King Tomislav and Queen Jelena, and I know that they died out in the middle ages. DOes anyone have any info on them at all?

Bok Mashka! I'm from Croatia.

I'll provide you the link to the site called; Hrvatski Plemićki Savez;
http://skola.sys.hr/plemstvo/

It is organization of Croatian noble families. It has very useful information, and also list of all noble families and their webpages. If you know Croatian, there should be no problem.:) ;)

Pozdrav!

Aimone, Duke of Aosta and his wife were King Tomislav II and Queen Irene of Croatia from 1941-1943. They never actually visited their "kingdom", however.

Croatia has many princes and princess. Otto, head of the House of Habsburg, claims the title of King of Croatia and his wife Regina claims the title of Queen of Croatia. In fact, all the living members of the House of Habsburg claim the title of Prince of Croatia - including The Archduchess of Austria-Este, daughter of The King of the Belgians.

I'd love to see Croatia electing a member of the House of Habsburg (preferably one of Otto's descendants) as King/Queen of Croatia, though expecting that could be a bit unrealistic. Monarchy under the Habsburgs would benefit Croatia in so many ways - it would calm the political situation, as the head of state would no longer be associated with politics, and tourism would bloom, and Croatia would become politically much closer to Europe as a kingdom headed by a Habsburg.

Aimone, Duke of Aosta and his wife were King Tomislav II and Queen Irene of Croatia from 1941-1943. They never actually visited their "kingdom", however.
Yes, that's true. However, according to Giulio Vignoli's book The sovrano sconosciutto he had an office for Croatian affairs in Florence and later in Rome.

It is interesting that his former counsellor, Count Gyula Cseszneky, a Hungarian-Croatian nobleman in Italian service later was proclaimed Grand Voivode (Grand Duke) of Macedonia and actually reigned between August-September 1943 in a very limited area of South-Western Macedonia.

Another interesting fact is, that the current Duke of Aosta, . i.e. King Tomislav's son, bears the given name Zvonimir which must have been given to him in honor of King Zvonimir of Croatia. The Duke of Aosta is considered by some Croatian monarchist a rival pretender to Archduke Otto, and is sytled as Zvonimir II, titular king of Croatia.

2a4ydg0.jpg
koronekszer.jpg
16l21j.jpg

Karl I was the last king of Croatia his reign ended November, 1918. The little boy in the picture is
the Crown Prince of Croatia Otto von Habsburg born 1912.

His grandson Ferdinand Zvonimir Habsburg was christened on 20 September 1997 in Zagreb cathedral
by Cardinal Franjo Kuharić. Zvonimir was the king of Croatia from 1075 to 1089

In 1925 the Croatians celebrated one thousand years of the Croatian kingdom (925 - 1925)

zelh.jpg
5-8-2-grb.jpg
hrvatska_zastava.gif

The Croatian coat of arms, the symbol of Croatia
a checkerboard with a crown 1495 and 1991

25p6dsk.jpg
021horvatorszagcimer.jpg

Curtain in the Croatian National Theatre

Does this mean that there are no descendants but the Habsburg and Aosta?

Is there any role for any Creation royals in public? I know there is no king or queen, but do the current claimants do anything in Croatia? Charity?

The noble Frankopan family who were historically the counts of Krk, Modruš, and Trsat are the closest Croatia has to any native royalty. The head of the house (disputed) is Louis Doimi de Lupis Frankopan.

The noble Frankopan family who were historically the counts of Krk, Modruš, and Trsat are the closest Croatia has to any native royalty. The head of the house (disputed) is Louis Doimi de Lupis Frankopan.

Hereditarily, Louis is not the heir in his family, he is just the only one making a public claim to being a Frankopan royal. His branch might also not be the most senior remaining branch of this princely house, just the more vocal. There are also Zrinskis descendants but they aren't making public claims to the throne or even to being princes. There is a nobility association which kicked him out for making his claim, saying he was not the heir and should be happy with the title he has. So they may have someone else in mind or maybe don't want anyone with pretensions to rock the boat. If they return the monarchy one day in would be more likely someone proposed by the nobility association from a princely house who is Croatian. I believe his family has lived outside Croatia since the 13th century and that is how old the supposed link to the Frankopans is.

Doesn't Lady Nicholas Windsor belong to the Frankopan Family or am I thinking of someone else? I didn't realize that they were Croatian.

There are monarchists movements in Croatia?

I'd like to see Prince Amedeo of Belgium as the new King of Croatia.

:flowers:

Last edited:
HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy, Duke of Savoy, does not have anything to do with the Crown of Croatia and he is anyway the Head of the Royal House of Italy.

In 1059 and 1060 Pope Nicholas II requested Peter Kresimir IV of Croatia reform the Croatian church in accordance with the Roman rite.

Karl Habsburg-Lothringen is the current Head of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine which ruled Austria, Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia

Ferdinand Zvonimir von Habsburg is the Royal Prince of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't Lady Nicholas Windsor belong to the Frankopan Family...?.

Though the Doimi to which she belongs in recent years added Frankopan to their name to add lustre to their ancestry, they are not the genealogical heirs in any provable way of the extinct Frankopans.

Paola's family is not alone in this behavior - Others have acted on similarly unprovable pretensions: The Princes von Orsini-Rosenberg can neither substantiate a link to the ancient Orsini family nor to the particular extinct House of Rosenberg to which they claim a direct connection. Similarly the claim of the modern Counts of Ortenburg to be of the male line of the original Counts of Ortenburg was rejected by the government of the Holy Roman Empire due to lack of proof. With no one able to either confirm or disprove their claims, in the decades after the fall of Constantinople, displaced Byzantines began popping up in nearby Europe, bearing grand imperial surnames like Palaelogos, Cantacuzene, Comnène. There is a fabulously entertaining 1985 work on Maltese families with the most fantastic Byzantine lineages. "The Palaeologus Family" by Charles Gauci and Peter Mallat.

Last edited:
Though the Doimi to which she belongs in recent years added Frankopan to their name to add lustre to their ancestry, they are not the genealogical heirs in any provable way of the extinct Frankopans.

Paola's family is not alone in this behavior - Others have acted on similarly unprovable pretensions: The Princes von Orsini-Rosenberg can neither substantiate a link to the ancient Orsini family nor to the particular extinct House of Rosenberg to which they claim a direct connection. Similarly the claim of the modern Counts of Ortenburg to be of the male line of the original Counts of Ortenburg was rejected by the government of the Holy Roman Empire due to lack of proof. With no one able to either confirm or disprove their claims, in the decades after the fall of Constantinople, displaced Byzantines began popping up in nearby Europe, bearing grand imperial surnames like Palaelogos, Cantacuzene, Comnène. There is a fabulously entertaining 1985 work on Maltese families with the most fantastic Byzantine lineages. "The Palaeologus Family" by Charles Gauci and Peter Mallat.

Fascinating; thank you Addapalla. So would that technically make her family imposters? How did it come about that they don't have a valid enough link to the families where their surnames originate from?

Hello HereditaryPrincess - I would not call them impostors... though at the root of the grandiose pretension there may have been in some cases a socially ambitious ancestor who deliberately introduced a fanciful genealogy specially concocted for him. I suspect in most families it was much more innocent: tales got told by grandparents to grandchildren which over generations evolved into family lore. Where I am (USA), the population has long been a melting pot and many family histories are as much colorful legend as they are factual. So, whether a legend began with either a lie or the serial mis-repeating of a story over generations, I suspect the modern Doimi, being from the same region and general social class as the Frankopan, truly believe they descend from the Frankopan. And they may in fact descend from them - but the connection is based more on lore than generally accepted evidence (as with modern-era Palaeologues and Cantacuzenes). As we see with genetic testing nowadays, families are coming to terms with the likelihood that great-grandma could not have been "a Tahitian princess" and grandpa was likely not "half Cherokee." But we are at the same time seeing in modern society that science, knowledge and facts will not stop those who are determined to believe that which cannot be true.

Last edited:
HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy, Duke of Savoy, does not have anything to do with the Crown of Croatia and he is anyway the Head of the Royal House of Italy.
Considering the circumstances of how Prince Aimone ended up on the Croatian throne, it's probably a wise decision on Amadeo's part not to even entertain the thought of pressing any claim to the Croatian throne. It's best to avoid ever creating a connection between oneself and the Third Reich.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom