Royal Family of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
95th King Kamehameha Day floral parade - June 11th, 2011

Hawaii celebrate the King Kamehameha Day for 95th time.
King Kamehameha Day was proclaimed in 1871 by King Kamehameha V, to honor his grandfather, King Kamehameha I.
The first King Kamehameha Day was on June 11, 1872, and it was one of the first holidays to be proclaimed when Hawaii became a state in 1959.
June 11, 2011 will be the 95th annual King Kamehameha Day in Hawaii. - Source

Kamehameha Day celebrated today and Saturday - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

Events for King Kam Weekend in Honolulu 2011 - Things To Do | AlohaUpdate

Hawaii marks King Kamehameha Day with parades, cultural events. Here's where to go. by Maureen O'Connell | HAWAII Magazine

:previous:
Kamehameha Day Parade 2008
YouTube - ‪King Kamehameha Day Parade - North Kohala, Hawaii‬‏

Each year on June 11th, Hawaii celebrates King Kamehameha Day with a parade on the Big Island starting in the North Kohala town of Kapa'au near where King Kamehameha the Great was born.
Traditional Pa'u riders representing the islands of Hawai'i pause at the statue of King Kamehameha I to offer a ceremonial gift (ho'okupu) as a sign of honor and respect.

Kaiulani

Apparently Princess Kaiulani had two haole beaus and potential fiancees beside Prince David Kawananakoa. There was Captain Putnam Bradlee Strong, son of New York Mayor William Lafayette Strong, who came to Hawaii on his way to fight in the Spanish-American War over in the Philippines. He was a frequent caller at Ainahau and he and Kaiulani went horse-back riding and swimming in Waikiki until his ship sailed for Manila. He later run away with and married actress May Yohe who once wore the Hope Diamond.

And there was the New Englander Andrew Adams of the staff of The Hawaiian Star in Honolulu. Kaiulani's father especially liked Adams and asked him to stay at Ainahau and he also found a job for him as a plantation overseer. Adams and Kaiulani were really good friends and attracted to each other but they often quarreled. There is a fictional book written by Bodie Thoene called Love Finds You in Lahaina, Hawaii about Adams and Kaiulani's romance.

Makes no sense why the Kaiulani Movie had to run with the likely made up Clives Davies romance when there were two already that existed.

Can anybody find pictures of Andrew Adams or Putnam Bradlee Strong?

The Laanui line

owana-guitar-front.jpg
HI.jpg

Owana Salazar and daughter...
Mahana Kaahumanu Walters, both surviving descendants of any brothers of King Kamehameha I, she was Miss Hawaii Teen in 1997

Last edited:
Iolani Palace targets Most Wanted - Hawaii News Now
The nation's only official royal residence is putting out a plea for priceless, missing items. Iolani Palace has created a "most wanted" list - hunting everywhere from auction houses to ebay - for new leads.
Palace employees and volunteers have been searching for some pieces for more than 40 years. They're specifically targeting furnishings from the bedrooms of King Kalakaua and Queen Kapiolani.
Thousands of items are still out there - either purchased a century ago at palace auctions, sold-off by the territorial and state governments, or handed down in families through the generations.

Hawaiian Heritage sites set to launch on CyArk website | Hawaii 24/7
Last December, CyArk, with the help of its partners, conducted the field work for the Digital Preservation of three culturally significant Hawaiian sites.
Those sites, or wahi pana (“place(s) of significant meaning” in Hawaiian), were Hulihee Palace, which was the summer residence of the Hawaiian royal family, Ahuena Heiau, which was King Kamehameha the Great’s personal temple, and portions of the Puuhonua o Honaunau (Place of Refuge) National Park, which served as a sanctuary to those fleeing from capture or punishment.

Princess Victoria Ka'iulani: Celebrating the Last Hawaiian Royal - Portland Travel | Examiner.com
Today marks the 136th birthday of Hawaii’s last royal member, Victoria Kaʻiulani. Yesterday, a colorful and dignified ceremony honored her memory at the Princess Kaʻiulani statue in Waikiki with songs, flowers, leis and stories of her life.
Named Victoria Kaʻiulani Kalaninuiahilapalapa Kawēkiu i Lunalilo Cleghorn, the young, Hawaiian/Scottish princess was the sole heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi when it was overthrown in 1893.

Hawaii was annexed by the United States in 1898. Princess Kaʻiulani died one year later at the age of 23.

Hawaii's lost kingdom - Fortune Features
Lost Kingdom: Hawaii's Last Queen, the Sugar Kings, and America's First Imperial Adventure is the story of an island grappling to hold onto traditions in the face of burgeoning capitalist powers. If you happen to check out the recently released comedy drama, The Descendants, Siler's book suggests why perhaps George Clooney's character, Matt King, a descendant of Hawaiian royalty, struggles to sell off land his family has held for generations. Though the film is based on Kaui Hart Hemmings' 2007 novel, Siler captures its backstory -- essentially what Hawaii was then and what it has evolved into today.
The Last Queen Of Hawaii | On Point with Tom Ashbrook

Well its been a while since I posted in this thread but since there seems to be alot of questions being asked about ruling families in Hawaii. I think you all need to know that unless you are a geneologist on the Hawaiian people no one could know the correct answers. Take for instance the Kawananakoas. They claim they are the rightful heirs to the throne but unless you do some deep digging or know the elders that know the complete story about them their claims are empty. Im talking about Abigail and Quentin. There are numerous families that have absolute proof of their lineage that could not be argued with. I suggest that everyone take the Kawananakoa theory with a grain of salt. There are some diehards out there but most of us know the truth. And besides, if they were true monarchs they would have been doing what they could to help their people. Instead they have stayed in their own little world and have enjoyed the lifestyle that has been handed to them. To me that is not the character of an Hawaiian ali'i. The Kawananakoas disgust me.

Julia Flynn Siler: Lost Kingdom - Books - Baltimore City Paper
The book is an in-depth exploration of the events leading up to Hawaii’s annexation by the United States. A longtime journalist, Siler is able to stick to the facts while producing a riveting, fleshed-out account.
[...]
Throughout much of the book, Siler follows the life of Queen Lili‘uokalani, or Lili‘u to those close to her, and the former monarch proves to be a fascinating protagonist.
Excerpts from Lili‘u’s own diary entries and letters guide the reader through her journey from passive, missionary-trained child to strong-willed queen fighting for the rights of native Hawaiians.
Rather than use force to stave off an American takeover, she knew that a more peaceful and diplomatic route would avoid bloodshed. Siler clearly describes Lili‘u’s perspective without it feeling contrived.
She also breathes life into the cast of characters surrounding the ruler, clearly portraying their personalities, intentions, and backgrounds.

You see what I mean? There are so many groups that claim this or that and so many people who claim they are the rightful heirs to the Kingdom when its all hogwash! This woman who calls herself Her Royal Majesty Mahealani is a pure joke. She was elected by her group to be the head but when it comes down to it she is nothing. Its no wonder people look at Hawaii and think its a joke that the hawaiian people are looking for recognition and sovereignty when there is constant bickering and fighting amongst themselves of who should be the leader and how the hawaiian government should be run. Instead of uniting and being one voice there are too many voices and no one wants to listen. Dont believe evrything you read. At least not when it comes to someone proclaiming to be the divine ruler of this little set of islands in the middle of the sea. Just my opinion. :)

You see what I mean? There are so many groups that claim this or that and so many people who claim they are the rightful heirs to the Kingdom when its all hogwash! This woman who calls herself Her Royal Majesty Mahealani is a pure joke. She was elected by her group to be the head but when it comes down to it she is nothing. Its no wonder people look at Hawaii and think its a joke that the hawaiian people are looking for recognition and sovereignty when there is constant bickering and fighting amongst themselves of who should be the leader and how the hawaiian government should be run. Instead of uniting and being one voice there are too many voices and no one wants to listen. Dont believe evrything you read. At least not when it comes to someone proclaiming to be the divine ruler of this little set of islands in the middle of the sea. Just my opinion. :)

Exactly. Like Akahi Nui or David Wynn Miller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVsH-DnlIrQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x793RwP-QDU

Last edited:
Well its been a while since I posted in this thread but since there seems to be alot of questions being asked about ruling families in Hawaii. I think you all need to know that unless you are a geneologist on the Hawaiian people no one could know the correct answers. Take for instance the Kawananakoas. They claim they are the rightful heirs to the throne but unless you do some deep digging or know the elders that know the complete story about them their claims are empty. Im talking about Abigail and Quentin. There are numerous families that have absolute proof of their lineage that could not be argued with. I suggest that everyone take the Kawananakoa theory with a grain of salt. There are some diehards out there but most of us know the truth. And besides, if they were true monarchs they would have been doing what they could to help their people. Instead they have stayed in their own little world and have enjoyed the lifestyle that has been handed to them. To me that is not the character of an Hawaiian ali'i. The Kawananakoas disgust me.

Their actions since the overthrow may not be as commendable, but how can you deny their lineage and genealogy. The Kawananakoas descend from King Kaumualii of Kauai (chiefs from this island were considered the most blue-blooded line in the whole chain), King Kekaulike of Maui, and King Keaweikekahialiʻiokamoku of Hawaii. Their ancestor Prince David Kawananakoa was cousin of King Kalakaua and Queen Liliuokalani from his grandmother Kekahili who was the half-sister of their father Kapaakea. Prince David Kawananakoa was the nephew and adoptive son of Queen Kapiolani, wife of King Kalakaua. He was designated heir and affianced to Princess Kaiulani. His wife Princess Abigail Campbell Kawananakoa was the daughter of James Campbell and Abigail Kuaihelani Bright, a hapa-haole chiefess from Maui who was president of Hui Hawaii Aloha Aina o Na Wahine, Hawaiian Women's Patriot League, that protest against the annexation of Hawaii. The only real fault of Kawananakoa family is that they abandoned the cause for independence and restoration of the monarchy.

One more review on Julia Flynn Syler's book 'Lost Kingdom' (see post # 224).

'Lost Kingdom: Hawaii's Last Queen, the Sugar Kings, and America's First Imperial Adventure' by Julia Flynn Siler - The Washington Post
In Julia Flynn Siler’s new book, “Lost Kingdom,” we get a close look at how foreigners from Germany, Britain and the United States jockeyed for influence and schemed to take over the government during Hawaii’s last few decades of independence.
Siler’s experience as a reporter for the Wall Street Journal serves her well as she depicts the figures who brought down the islands’ monarchy. She suggests that, given the imbalance between those global powers and the tiny island nation, its conquest was inevitable.

Sorry but truth is truth and blind is blind. Adopted is not the same as blood. Although the lineage is great there is no BLOOD running through the veins. Now if we are talking actual legitimate heirs, I consider blood thicker than anything else. Just my opinion. Those who are pretend have no recognition and not just by me but by numerous others who stick to the truth. There will be those who refuse to know and accept the truth and there are those who know and accept what is true and pono ( right ). I am in that category. Nuff said.

There is blood.

Last edited by a moderator:
BLOOD through Kings of Kauai, Maui and Hawaii is my husband. That is all. No imposters only the real thing.

BLOOD through Kings of Kauai, Maui and Hawaii is my husband. That is all. No imposters only the real thing.
That's very interesting thing indeed. How does he know that?
I do mean if there is a genealogical tree.

Yes there is a geneological tree. It is quite extensive. The family worked on it for years. It goes back about 60 generations. There are also documents that validate who his family is. They are mostly kept in the museums and the county records.

As a Maori my heart aches for our Hawaiian cousins who have and continue to suffer great injustices. For all of the equality and freedom pushing of the US, it does a fine job of suppressing people in its own land. It will take a federal government intervention in issues of sovereignty to be dealt with as the local authorities are not willing to cede any ground.

It may be the land of the free...but not for all.

Your husband is not alone, all Hawaiians can trace their lineage back to the Ali'is of Kauai, Oahu, Maui, Hawaii and the other minor islands.

The first and last Queen of Hawaii: Tragic life of Liliuokalani, whose reign over paradise island lasted just two years
Locked up in her palace and spending her lonely days composing sad songs, the life story of Hawaii's first and last Queen is tragic.
Liliuokalani, originally called name Lydia Kamakaeha, was the last Hawaiian sovereign to govern the islands, which were annexed by the United States in 1898. In 1862, Liliuokalani married John Owen Dominis, son of a Boston sea captain and himself an official in the Hawaiian government.

Surf's oop! How Hawaiian princes brought water sport to Britain in 1890 (in chilly Yorkshire of all places)
One's a tropical paradise in the Pacific with long, hot summers, crystal blue waters - and high-rolling waves. The other is rather more chilly and somewhat lacking in the 'crystal blue' department. But that didn't stop two 19th-century Hawaiian princes taking to the North Sea off the coast of Bridlington, East Yorkshire, in what is believed to be the first instance of surfing in Britain.

Back
Top Bottom