Roman and Byzantine Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Augustus

City
Lansing
Country
United States
Do you consider the Byzantine monarchy as the successor of the Roman monarchy?

Hi,

Great question!!
I suppose since Constantine moved the court to Byzantium, it should be considered the continuation of the Roman court in a new location.

The Byzantine empire ran from 330 - 1453, according to the book "Byzantium". 1123 years is a fairly long run, and there were other rivals set up in Italy and Germany as rivals to Constantinople - the Holy Roman Empire from 800 could be considered also as a continuation of the Roman monarchy, I suppose.

Larry

Last edited:
The Greek Empire did not really continue the Roman traditions after the XVII th century. The Holy Roman Empire really did maintaining a close relantionship with Rome/Holy See.

One thing that struck me when reading up on Byzantine Emperors is the fact that so many of them were deposed and met a grisly end!

Hi,

Yes indeed, so many of them met a grisly end - "uneasy lies the head that wears a crown" - so apt....

And it seems, the Ottoman Empire continued to practice this tradition, as many Sultans met a brutal ending too!!!

Larry

Seeking aid against the resurgent Ottomans, John VIII Palaiologos ratified the Union of the Churches in 1439.

Constantine VII, who reigned 913 to 959, wrote manuals on statecraft (De administrando imperio).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Yes indeed, so many of them met a grisly end - "uneasy lies the head that wears a crown" - so apt....

And it seems, the Ottoman Empire continued to practice this tradition, as many Sultans met a brutal ending too!!!

Larry

That's very true and not to mention the brothers of the Sultan!

There's very little information on what happened to the body of Constantine XI Palaiologos after the fall of Constantinople,perhaps his remains were never found.

Antoninus Pius was Roman emperor from 138 to 161.

He was 70 when he died and his remains were buried at Hadrian's mausoleum in Rome.
The ashes of the Emperor Hadrian and his wife Empress Sabina were placed in urns and later many Emperors chose the mausoleum as a burial site and not all chose cremation.

Sadly Hadrian's mausoleum was ransacked and pillaged during the Sack of Rome by the Visigoths on the 24th of August 410 AD.

Do you consider the Byzantine monarchy as the successor of the Roman monarchy?

This question was a single entry from a new member July 25th, 2014, at Forum time 10:08 PM. Unfortunately, the member never posted again with a last activity on 07-27-2014 03:23 PM after. Hope the forum colleague came back to see the many answers the thread received like mine today 8 years later.

Since I'm catching up with the amazing threads, interesting questions and historical notes from past and present forum members, I'll jump into the fray. Better late than never! ;)

My answer is no. I don't consider the Byzantine monarchy, or Easter Roman Empire, a successor but a continuation of Rome. My take is as successors of Rome/Constantinople the closest systems are the Ottoman Empire in the East and the Holy Roman Empire in the West.

In my YouTube links on channels that focus on history, many specific to royals, genealogy, trivia etc. I found this morning a related presentation that is very interesting to watch for fans of this topic: The competition between Empress Irene* vs Emperor Charlemagne.

* If you think Game of Thrones House of the Dragon's fighting royals is rough to watch, in the real world Empress Irene had her own son's eyes, Emperor Constantine VI, removed to depose him. :eek:

The Bitter Rivalry Between Greek and Latin Christianity

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom