Principality of Moldavia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Moldavia
(Ţara Moldovei)

Principality of Moldavia
1346-1859

MoldaviaOldCoatofArms.jpg
. . . . . . .
MoldaviaFlaglate1400s.jpg

Arms of the Princes of Moldavia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Flag of Prince Stephen the Great, late c1600s

Moldavia is a geographic and historical region and former principality in Eastern Europe, corresponding to the territory between the Eastern Carpathians and the Dniester river. An initially independent and later autonomous state, it existed from the 14th century to 1859, when it united with Wallachia as the basis of the modern Romanian state. The western part of Moldavia is now part of Romania and the eastern part belongs to the Republic of Moldova, while the northern and south-eastern parts are territories of Ukraine.

Dynastic rule is hard to ascribe, given the loose traditional definition of the ruling family (on principle, princes were chosen from any branch, including a previous ruler's bastard sons - being defined as os de domn - "of Voivode marrow", or as having hereghie - "heredity"; the institutions charged with the election, dominated by the boyars, had fluctuating degrees of influence). The system itself was challenged by usurpers, and became obsolete with the Phanariote epoch, when rulers were appointed by the Ottoman Sultans. Between 1821 and 1862, various systems combining election and appointment were put in practice.

In 1862 Moldavia united with Wallachia as the basis of the modern state of Romania.

Moldavian rulers, like Wallachian and other Eastern European rulers, bore the titles of Voivode or/and Hospodar.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Last edited:
Great topic!Don't forget Stephen the Great!
Do you mean Romanian historical principality of Moldavia?

Last edited by a moderator:

BOGDAN I OF MOLDAVIA
from family BOGDAN, ruled between 1363 1367

from WIKIPEDIA

From family BOGDAN , son of BOGDAN I,ruled between 1368-1375

(source WIKIPEDIA)
From MUSAT family, ruled between 1375 -1391

Roman i,

from family MUSAT,
ruled between 1391-1394
(source WIKIPEDIA )

Thank you,Warren for your introduction with the arms and flags of the Moldavian princes:)!
I am new to this forum and dont really know how to start a thread.properly,to post,i try to learn,lol,thank you again.
Lenora,wont forget Stephen the Great,:),i am only at the beginning and trying to learn;-),
actually have some computer problems,hope,it will be fixed soon!
Have a nice evening!

The descendants of prince Bogdan did not face the Ottoman danger from the very beginning but they had to put into practice a skitful policy of equilibrium between Poland and Hungary.Among them Petru Musat the first and Alexander the Good(Alexandru cel Bun)1400-1432 became outstanding personalities of the area.

That's great thread as many don't know numerous things on historical backgrounds of Modern Romania and Moldavia.I haven't known much too till I began to study them.It's true that those principialities weren't so well-known and rich,but only to the fact that they had no time to spend on luxury or cultural development,as practically all the time they fought against Turkish Ottomani Empire,who wanted to conquer these territories.

Michael the Brave was Prince of Wallachia between 1593 and 1600. For one year, he managed to unite the principalities of Moldavia, Wallachia and Transylvania under him. This is seen as a precursor to a unified Romania, which did not occur until 1862- and even then it only included Moldavia and Wallachia, excluding Bessarabia (present-day Moldova). From 1918 until World War II, "Greater Romania" was a reality and not a concept.

Lenora,you are right:),therefore i thought to create this thread about the ancient hystory of Moldavia,in order that the ancient history could be more known

Thank you,David for your posting.

Alexander the Good as ruler,initiatf a series of reforms while consolìdating the status of the Moldavian Principality.

The Ottoman Empire was that time an imperial power centered around the borders of the Mediterranean sea.So,Moldavia represented one of the barriers Europe benefited of against the Ottoman Empire.

Petru_Aron.jpg
PETRU ARON,from family MUSAT,illegitimate son of ALEXANDRU cel BUN, ruled between 1451-1452, 1454-1455,1455-1457
(source
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

STEFAN THE GREAT (STEFAN CEL MARE)was the most proeminent prince of MOLDAVIA
Son of BOGDAN VODA,MUSAT family, rulet between 1457 -1504

Ştefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great) was a voivod (prince) of Moldavia (1457-1504), who won renown in Europe for his long resistance against the Ottoman Empire.
With the help of the Wallachian prince Vlad III the Impaler, Ştefan secured the throne of Moldavia in 1457. Menaced by powerful neighbours, he successfully repulsed an invasion by Hungary in 1467, and invaded Wallachia in 1471, which had by then succumbed to Turkish vassalage.
When the Ottoman sultan Mehmed II launched an attack on Moldavia, Stephen defeated the invaders near Vaslui in 1475. Stephen was defeated at Războieni (Valea Alba) next year, but turks had to retreat after they failed to take any important fortress (Neamţ, Suceava). His search for European assistance against the Turks had little success, but his determination "to cut off the pagan's right hand" won him the acclaim of Pope Sixtus IV as "Christ's Athlete".
After 1484 Ştefan had to contend not only with new Turkish onslaughts but also with Polish and Hungarian designs on Moldavian independence. Finally in 1503 he concluded with Sultan Beyazid II a treaty that preserved Moldavian independence but only at the cost of an annual tribute to the Turks. Though it was marked by continual strife, Ştefan's long reign nonetheless brought considerable cultural development; no less than 44 churches and monasteries were erected by Ştefan himself, some of which are now part of UNESCO's World Heritage.
source WIKIPEDIA

Chronicler Grigore Ureche about Stephen the Great enthronement
550 years since the enthronement of Stephen the Great in Moldavia - 1 leu, 5 and 100 lei 2007 - Romanian Coins

:previous:
Thank you,all the information is interesting and concrete

BOGDAN Bogdan III The One-Eyed),son of STEPHEN THE GREAT, from MUSAT family, ruled between 1504-1517
source WIKIPEDIA

STEFANITA, STEFAN IV, from family MUSAT, son of BOGDAN III, ruled between 1517-1527

Stamp_of_Moldova_395.gif
PETRU RARES,son of STEPHEN THE GREAT,from MUSAT family, ruled between 1527-1538,1541-1546).
He was a follower of the Slavonic church and culture, he applied the policy of strengthening the central power, an anti-Turkish policy with the support of minor boyars and of the merchants. The most beautiful building erected during his reign is the monastery Probota, where he is buried.
source WIKIPEDIA

ILIE II RARES,son of PETRU RARES, MUSAT family, ruled between 1546 -1551

Thanks dear lenora, couldnt do more, unfortunately, hope i will continue, but i amnot sure, thank you my friend

Back
Top Bottom