Non-ruling royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a great point!

I know the Greek government was not happy at all when the invitations to Pavlos's wedding went out addressed as:

The King and Queen of the Hellenes request your presence........

They were sent to various Greek ministers and the government had a fit when they heard about this.

They are so determined to keep him out of Greece as I agree with you, they see him as a threat to potentially wanting to reclaim the throne if he could get the people on his side.

Although, I doubt that will ever happen...........but you never know...look at Spain.

Heck, King Simeon is the Prime Minister now in Bulgaria, and there is talk of wanting to restore him to the throne.

I have this question to ask; can a non-ruling monarch grant sashes/orders to other royalty (ruling and non-ruling)?

Yes, and the only reason I think that is because you see the Greek, Italian, and German Royals wearing sashes.....unless maybe they came from ruling houses?

I know at Frederick and Mary's wedding the Greek and Italian royals had various sashes on.

Elspeth, what do you think on this?

No idea, actually. I doubt it, because they aren't representing their countries if they're not ruling monarchs. I wouldn't have thought that sashes from non-ruling families would be worth much, even if they could give them. It's also possible that non-royal heads of state can confer orders on other heads of state; there's a thread somewhere about sashes and I think there was a reference to a Finnish one and a German one of some sort.

OK, found it:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879

Thank you!! :)

What makes it even more interesting is to see Marie Chantal wearing a different one from Pavlos....but then they usually wear the Order of the Elephant which is the light blue sash....I am almost positive that is a Danish order....from Anne Marie's sister the Queen no doubt? :)

Can you imagine playing Hide and Seek in that palace? You would be hidden for months before someone found you. :)

Must be murder trying to house-train a dog in a place that size. It'd take twenty minutes to find a door to the outside.

Coming back to lost castles etc., Ernst-August of Hannover is still trying to get back property which had ended up behind the Iron Curtain.

Coming back to lost castles etc., Ernst-August of Hannover is still trying to get back property which had ended up behind the Iron Curtain.

I think they gave it up some years ago because of a ruling of the European Court of Human Right in Strasbourg. He and also some other landowners of property in former East-Germany tried to get it back but it was ruled against them. I know that some (but mostly minor nobles) were able to get their castles (probably better to say manors) back by purchasing it because they weren't used by anyone and the state (or whoever owned them) wanted to sell them.

Non-ruling royals may be involved with charities.
For example, Prince Nicolae of Romania is involved with the campaign "Children's books to every home". :books::books:

From Point de Vue - Dec 7 2022 - remember to right click over the page and select translate to your language if you don't see the pop up auto-translate window first

German prince arrested for plotting coup :eek:

https://www.pointdevue.fr/royal/cou...emand-arrete-pour-avoir-fomente-un-coup-detat

A member of the princely family that ruled part of present-day Thuringia, Prince Reuss Heinrich XIII was arrested on 7 December 2022 for preparing a coup to restore a German monarchy of which he would have become the sovereign. A sad sire whose plot is however taken seriously in Berlin.

Last edited:
old but 2022 news from Point de Vue - remember to right click over the page and select translate to your language if you don't see the pop up auto-translate window first

Ernst August of Hanover, farewell Marienburg...

https://www.pointdevue.fr/royal/couronnes-du-monde/ernst-august-de-hanovre-adieu-marienburg

After four months of trial, the court rejected the Prince of Hanover's claims. Marienburg Castle remains in the possession of his eldest son... Ernst August. A hard blow for the plaintiff who fears the squandering of his inheritance.

Marienburg is simply amazing. I can see why costs for upkeep would be outrageous.

Back
Top Bottom