The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Other Non-Reigning Houses and Historical Monarchies

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Post News and Images concerning the Mexican Royal Family

"Interest in the Mexican Monarchy has enjoyed something of a renaissance and resurgence in the last few years and there are now several sites dedicated to the history of the monarchy in Mexico and the house of Iturbide."

By clicking HERE you may find some useful information.

Kindest regards.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Nobility

Smile

I KNOW THAT MY COUNTRY, MEXICO, HAS TWO ROYALS HOUSES. ITURBIDE's AGUSTIN HAS DESCENT, ONE OF HIS GRANDSON WAS ADOPTED BY MAXIMILIANO AND CARLOTA. And, THE CURRENT INHERITOR, SEEMS TO ME LIVES IN THE EXILE.
I PUT THE PAGEOF THE IMPERIAL PAGE. And ALSO THERE ARE DESCENDANTS OF THE EMPEROR MOCTEZUMA, THE FAMILY MOCTEZUMA BARRAGAN, WHICH ARE POLITICIANS.

casa imperial de Mexico

ALSO I CAN SAY TO YOU THAT, MOCTEZUMA, HAS SPANISH DESCENDANTS THAT, IT SEEMS TO ME, THEY ARE THE COUNTS DE MIRAVALLE, I HAVE UNDERSTOOD.

ESTEBAN MOCTEZUMA IS A PRESIDENT OF THE FOUNDATION OF TV AZTECA, BLANCA IS A HISTORIAN AND PABLO MOCTEZUMA WAS AMBASSADOR OF MEXICO IN THE VATICAN

THE PAGE OF THE MAXIMILIANO IN ENGLISH: casa imperial de Mexico

Old 06-15-2008, 02:45 PM

Here a picture of Maximilian and his wife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carlota y maximiliano.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	263106  
Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Nobility

I read an article (might have been a review) recently which stated that the reason the US was so strongly against Maximilian and Carlota was because of two basic reasons. One is that Juarez gave the US extensive rights over Mexican sovereignty in exchange for about 14 million dollars and the other, which I found new and interesting, because they were afraid that a monarchy might have made Mexico too stable. Mexico's republican history had been a succession of coups and civil wars and the US liked this because it kept Mexico weak. They were afraid that if Maximilian was allowed to remain, increase his popularity, have a peaceful orderly succession then Mexico might become powerful and dominate the gulf and central America -basically become a little competition for the US and the US did not want that to happen.

I had never heard that theory before, but after thinking about it I guess it would make sense. Maximilian was shot, Juarez was president again and the struggles for power started again almost immediately and soon the revolutions came back. So, if that was the plan of the US it worked brilliantly.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:39 AM

Yes, it does make sense, and Maximilian actually was thinking of extending his Empire to Central America. It was one of the reasons he sent Carlota to Yucatn in late 1865. But I don't think your assertion that the power struggles in Mexico immediately returned after Maximilian was shot is quite accurate. Between 1872 and 1910, the year the Mexican Revolution broke out, Mexico had a relatively long period of peace and prosperity under Porfirio Diaz.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 AM

Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures, Catherine. Would you happen to know when they were taken? I've always been curious, particularly about the first photo, which in a book I have says it was taken in January of 1866. Carlota seems to be dressed in mourning for her father who had just died in December of the previous year. But I'm not quite sure she is all in black or if January of 1866 is the correct date.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I read an article (might have been a review) recently which stated that the reason the US was so strongly against Maximilian and Carlota was because of two basic reasons. One is that Juarez gave the US extensive rights over Mexican sovereignty in exchange for about 14 million dollars and the other, which I found new and interesting, because they were afraid that a monarchy might have made Mexico too stable. Mexico's republican history had been a succession of coups and civil wars and the US liked this because it kept Mexico weak. They were afraid that if Maximilian was allowed to remain, increase his popularity, have a peaceful orderly succession then Mexico might become powerful and dominate the gulf and central America -basically become a little competition for the US and the US did not want that to happen.

I had never heard that theory before, but after thinking about it I guess it would make sense. Maximilian was shot, Juarez was president again and the struggles for power started again almost immediately and soon the revolutions came back. So, if that was the plan of the US it worked brilliantly.
It is quite a reasonable observation I think - I've thought the same. The U.S. could never have wanted such a power right under its nose. Americans owned much of the natural wealth in Mexico, not to mention taking half of its land - and they weren't about to be outdone. The "immigration debate" - It been a long time in the making. Even though it is ancient history - I'm saddened by the loss of what could have been. Viva Maximiliano!

Motto of the Second Mexican Empire
(1863-1867)
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Gentry

i dont think carlotta was that mental unstable as most historian and biography writers put it if it were in today time a few months in a phsychiatrist care would have improve her and the fact that both her in laws and blood family prefere to lock her in a castle do most of the damage. i dont think franz josef was interesting in her case of mental issue nor her brother leopold only her brother philippe count of flanders show an interest in her he recommend doctor to check her and his wife and children would often visit her sometime leopold wife and children but never leopold ii even though she was thought to be crazy she never desecrate her beloved husband memories. this might increase the rate for her mental instability
  • she lost her mother at the age of ten
  • she was seperate from her sibling ounce her mother was died she was given her own household who didnt really return her strong love and affection
  • she couldnt give birth to children
  • the fact that at the vienna court she was overshadow by the beautifull sissi did not sit well with her
  • she force her husband to accept a foreign throne in a foreign continent
  • she was outrage when napoleon broke his promise
  • she went to vatican to explain her case to the pope but nothing he could have done for her
  • most europeans powers refuse to help her husband include austria which depressed her more
  • when news of her husband death reach her she collapse into a fenzy paranoima due to stress and losses which people at that time didnt understand and by that timne her beloved father had gone
  • lock in a castle for many years witha bubch of stangers increase her rate for depression and allow her disease to affect her more
Old 05-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Also Mexico has been an independent monarchy, although for a very short period (1864-1867); the Empire of Mexico was founded with the election of Archduke Maximilian of Austria (1832-1867) as Empeor of Mexico in 1864, and lasted until the revolution lead by Benito Juarez and the execution of the Emperor in 1867.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maximilian and Carlota: the "Archdupe" and his tragic lady (1832-1867)
Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Aristocracy

In the Yucatan, there are likely still descendants of Mayan royal houses around- more specifically the Xiu, Pacab and Cocom dynasties. The families survived into colonial times and afterwards. There are indigenous peoples throughout the Americas that have hereditary chiefs, which may be considered as indigenous nobility/aristocracy.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Gentry

David: those are post-classical. if there are descendants of any Classical Mayan royalty, it is probably undocumented (I would like to see any documented lineages, if they exist
)

I am interested in genealogies of the Pacab and Cocom families
Old 07-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Aristocracy

One story I've heard was that when Queen Elizabeth II visited Mexico in the 70s, she was amazed to discover that a congressman was descended from one of the Post-Classic Mayan lineages.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Gentry

what, if anything, do you know about that mayan lineage?

thank-you
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Imperial Family of Mexico

It is rather strange that the grandmother of Don Maximiliano de Gotzen-Iturbide dies in a communist camp in Romania in 1949.Does anybody knows details about this subject?

Sefa Casei Imperiale a Mexicului persecutata de comunistii din Romania Blogul Monarhist

casa imperial de Mexico
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Aristocracy

The lady in question and her husband I believe had a residence in Transylvania. She was associated with Admiral von Horthy; this may have predisposed the communists to view her with some suspicon. However, to subject such an elderly lady to the privations of an internment camp is indefensible.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

The communists did't realy need a pretext to make harm.They were just evil.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Aristocracy

The Dowager Princess Imperial, Maria Joseph was the step-daughter of Count Emil Jenison-Walworth - he married her mother in London circa 1900. My knowledge of the murdered lady, at Deva in 1949 is from family oral tradition and not to written primary sources. I guess, if her politics had been different, she may well have suffered at the hands of the fascist Iron Guard or White Arrow.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Last Aztec Emperor's feather headdress to be presented in Mexico

The Mexican government says talks with Austria which lasted for three years on a temporary return of a feather headdress associated with the last Aztec emperor could be a model for the return of other hotly contested artifacts. The temporary exchange could give Mexico the headdress on loan from Austria, while Mexico could send back a gilded carriage once used by a member of Austria's royal family who ruled Mexico in the 1860s.
Emperor Montezuma reportedly gave his headdress to conqueror Hernan Cortes.
The exchange would recognize each country's rights to the headdress as "common cultural legacy." - Canadian Press
Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Aristocracy

"The Last Kings" Yucatan, Mexico - Jay Dunn, photojournalist

http://www.osea-cite.org/class/readi...ya_PRInces.pdf

These talk about the Mayan royal descendants in modern Mexico.

Tags
archduchess, belgian history, biography, empress carlota, habsburg, mad royals, mexico, princess charlotte of belgium