Korea - The Lost Empire

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A

Adrienna

Koreans honour their princess of Ayodhya
By: Vinay Krishna Rastogi
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucknow: A 15-member delegation from South Korea is currently in Ayodhya to revive the country’s 2,000-year-old link with the temple town.

South Korean history holds that a princess of Ayodhya — who they call the Great Princess of Ayodhya — was married to Korean king Suro in the first century AD.

This belief of the Koreans is to be used by lawyers in the ongoing Ayodhya case to prove that the city is in fact ancient.

R T Verma, counsel for the Hindu parties, said, “The discovery proves Ayodhya is an ancient religious city and disproves the claim to the contrary of the communists and Muslim parties.” The Ayodhya hearing resumes on Monday after the court’s Diwali vacation.

The Koreans believe that about 2,000 years ago, the then raja of Ayodhya had married off his 16-year-old daughter to the Korean king Suro. Suro was monarch of the then Kimhay kingdom, known today as Korea.

Interestingly, the Koreans believe that those who unified various Korean kingdoms in the 7th century AD were direct descendants of the Ayodhya princess. Since the first century AD, her descendants prospered and formed the largest clan in Korea – the Karak clan — whose members earned great distinction.

The current president of South Korea, Kim Dae-Jung, believes he is a descendant of the Great Princess of Ayodhya. He is a member of the Karak Clan Society, whose members say they are descendants of the queen.

The Ayodhya princess is regarded the most blessed queen of Korea in the last 2,000 years, and Koreans believe this could be due to the religious significance of the great temple city of Ayodhya, where Lord Ram was born.

Yesterday, wreaths were placed in memory of the princess near the banks of the Sarayu by consul-general of the Embassy of Korea, Kim Myong-Jim, a Korean minister and other members of that country’s delegation. Korean musicians specially flown in played beautiful music, far from the political din of Lucknow.

On the occasion, the consul-general of Korea said, “I hope historians will be able to learn more about this great ancient Hindu city.”

He urged the former raja of Ayodhya, BPN Misra, to strengthen cultural ties between Ayodhya and South Korea. Mishra has been merely a titular king since princely states were abolished, but people still address him as raja.

According to the commissioner of the Faizabad division, the Government of India has decided to organise the Festival of Ayodhya to promote greater cultural ties between Ayodhya and the South Korean city of Kim Hae.

While I'm very surprised to read this as a Korean, it's interesting and nice to know that Korea is somehow related to other Asian countries or kingdoms.
I'll take it with a grain of salt, however, with whatever Kim DaeJoong is saying ... very weird man lol.

Very interesting article. I'd love to know more about the the different King(dom)s that existed within the Indian Subcontinent. I tend to think most of it is legendary/mythology. :rolleyes:

o_20040725100609_55911.jpg

Imperial Family of Korea

Here is a Family Tree of the Imperial Family of Korea, courtesy of the ARMB.

Prince Gu (b 1931) is the Prince Lee Ku mentioned in the previous post who has just died (thank you Mandyy for the information).

Attachments

• Korea Imperial Family Tree.jpg
    Korea Imperial Family Tree.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 28,590
Last edited:
The body of Yi Gu, the last heir to the throne of Korea's former Chosun dynasty, arrived in Seoul from Japan for a royal funeral.(AFP/Shin Won-Gun)

Attachments

• afp1.jpg
    afp1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 5,504
#1-8:photos from Reuters
#9-10: Associated Press

Lee was found dead in a Japanese hotel room at the weekend, the association representing his family said on Tuesday. Japanese-born Lee, 73, had been the only surviving son of the last crown prince of the Chosun Dynasty, which ruled the Korean peninsula from 1392 to 1910. Lee died of an apparent heart attack, a statement from the association said.

#1:A South Korean woman cries in front of a portrait of Lee Ku, the last direct heir to the Korean throne, at a memorial before his funeral at Changduk palace, Seoul, July 21, 2005.
#2: South Korea's Prime Minister Lee Hae-chan attends a funeral for Lee Ku, the last direct heir to the throne of Korea's last dynasty, at the Changduk Palace in Seoul July 24, 2005.
#3: Crowds look at the funeral car during the funeral for Lee Ku, the last direct heir to the throne of Korea's last dynasty, at the Changduk Palace in Seoul July 24, 2005. A slice of Korea's royal history was revived on Sunday in a funeral for Lee Ku, who spoke almost no Korean and lived in obscurity in Japan. Lee died alone in a Japanese hotel room on July 16 and his body was transported to Seoul last week wrapped in a Korean national unity flag.
#4: Lee Ku (C), the last direct heir to the Korean throne, participates in the Grand Ancestral Rite in the Jongmyo, the main ancestral shrine of the Chosun Dynasty, in Seoul in this May, 2004 picture.
#5:Lee Ku (R), the last direct heir to the Korean throne, participates in the Grand Ancestral Rite in the Jongmyo, the main ancestral shrine of the Chosun Dynasty, in Seoul in this May, 2004 picture.
#6-7: Lee Won, an adopted son of Lee Ku, the last direct heir to the throne of Korea's last dynasty, attends the latter's funeral at the Changduk Palace in Seoul July 24, 2005.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 5,713
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 5,286
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 6,003
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 5,328
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 5,293
  • r4045279643.jpg
    r4045279643.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5,261
  • r2921158510.jpg
    r2921158510.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 5,284
  • r36242043.jpg
    r36242043.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5,245
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 5,209
  • ap1.jpg
    ap1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 5,321
Last edited:
#1: Photo taken in Seoul in November 1996 shows Lee Ku (R), the only son of the last crown prince of Korea's Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), who was found dead in a Japanese hotel on July 16, the Jeonju Lee Royal Family Members Foundation said on July 19. He was 74. Lee was born in 1931 as the second son of Crown Prince Lee Eun and the grandson of Emperor Gojong, the 26th monarch of Joseon who established the Daehan Empire.

#2:The keeper of the Imperial Yi (Chosun) Dynasty shrine looks out from its gate to watch a welcoming ceremony for Lee Ku, 65, the last heir of the dynasty who returned to Seoul from Japan 25 November, 1996. Lee Ku said that he would devote the rest of his life to unifying North and South Korea.

#3: Lee Ku, 65, the last heir to Korea's Ly (Chosun) Dynasty, emerges from the Seoul shrine of his ancestors, upon his return from Japan to Korea 25 November, 1996. Lee Ku, the childless son of Prince Yongchin, said that he would devote the rest of his life to unifying North and South Korea.
From newscom

Attachments

• kyodowc021856.jpg
    kyodowc021856.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,285
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 847
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 793
Last edited:
Mr.Lee Won(R), an adopted son of Lee Ku, the last direct heir to the throne of Korea's last dynasty, attends the latter's funeral at the Changduk Palace in Seoul, Sunday 24 July 2005.
Photo from newscom

Attachments

• epaphotos388786.jpg
    epaphotos388786.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 756
Was his ex-wife, HIH Princess Julia Lee of Korea, in attendance at the funeral? I had heard that it was unsure if she would attend due to health reasons. Does anyone know if she did attend? And, if she was there, were there any photographs of her at the funeral ceremony? Thanks.

I looked at that post, and I read the article, and it does not say whether or not she was there. What the article does say is that,

"The company said it was not clear whether Mullock's failing health will permit her to attend the funeral scheduled for Sunday."
(http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200507/200507210015.html)

It does not directly say whether she was there or not. What it says is that it would be unsure if she would attend. Was she there, or not?

Sorry!

bct88 said:
I looked at that post, and I read the article, and it does not say whether or not she was there.
My apologies bct88!
I read on the ARMB there were reports Julia watched the funeral procession "from the sidelines", but without photos it is hard to determine whether this is true, or wishful thinking, or if it means she just watched it on TV. Sorry I can't help further.

Updated Korean Imperial Family Tree

Courtesy ARMB

Attachments

• Korea Imperial Family Tree 2005.jpg
    Korea Imperial Family Tree 2005.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 38,517
Does anyone kno why Emperor Gojong was made Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire in 1900? Why the British Government decided to honour him in such a way?

Warren said:
Here is a Family Tree of the Imperial Family of Korea, courtesy of the ARMB.

Prince Gu (b 1931) is the Prince Lee Ku mentioned in the previous post who has just died (thank you Mandyy for the information).
Prince Gu had a brother who was poisoned at the age of 8 months old, on May 20 1922 in Changdeok Palace, and died 3 days later. His parents, the Crown Prince and his Japanese wife, brought him to visit Korea the first time after their marriage in 1920. It's said palace servent put poison in baby prince's milk, to take a revenge for Emperor Gojong, who was poisoned to death by Japanese three years ago (in 1919).

Note Prince Wu died in 1945. Actually he was heavily burnt during the Hiroshima A-bomb attack, when he was riding a horse to his office. He died days later and his Japanese adjutant felt guilty and commited suicide (by hari kari).

rchainho said:
Royal line continues with adoption

In fact several Korean kings were adopted from distant branches, as showed in this chart :)

Attachments

• korean_throne_line.jpg
    korean_throne_line.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
Deepa Mehta set to film last Korean crown princess’ story
................According to Contactmusic, the focus of the Toronto based director’s film will be Julia Mullock, who met crown prince Lee Ku in New York City in the 1950s after Japanese colonisation and subsequent independence had removed the royal family from any official function in Korea..................
http://www.newkerala.com/news4.php?action=fullnews&id=10808

everyone should watch this korean show - JEWEL IN THE PALACE based on one korean imperial dynasty. its really good!

Korea's Last Princess Breaks Silence
Julia Mullock, Korea’s last princess, is 83 this year. Her right arm has been paralyzed for a decade and her finger joints are heavily deformed. But even though she can no longer move freely, she still vividly remembers the day she got married to Korea’s last imperial prince, aka citizen Yi Gu, 48 years ago...

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200608/200608300001.html#top

Descendants of South Korea's former royal family proclaimed 88-year-old Princess Lee Hae-Won, seen here during the crowning ceremony, as the nation's new "queen" as they sought to restore the glory of a monarchy extinct for almost a century

from yahoo/ap

Choson Royal Scions Crown New Korean Monarch
Some descendants of the country's old royal family crowned a new monarch yesterday in a ceremony, although it had no state backing. A king ruled Korea before it was deprived of its diplomatic sovereignty in 1905 and made into a Japanese colony in 1910. The imperial family was not re-instituted in 1945 when Korea was liberated from Japan's colonial rule, and the country has since remained a parliamentary democracy without a monarch.
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/200609/kt2006092922064611710.htm
======================================================
H.I.H. Princess Yi Haewon was born in Seoul in 1919. She is the daughter of the late H.I.H. Prince Yi Kang, Prince Ui and Yi Hu-chun, Lady Sudok-dang.
The headship of the Imperial House is now contested between the elderly princess and H.I.H. Prince Yi Won.
(Thank you for posting those pictures, fanletizia :). Very interesting story.)

Princess Lee Hae-Won looks a very sweet lady. Are there any more pics of her? The Queen of Korea!

Back
Top Bottom