Kingdom of Tibet and HH the Dalai Lama

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasumi

Heir Presumptive
City
Country
Taiwan
HH the Dalai Lama XIV of Tibet has submitted his abdication or resignation from his political role as the monarch of Tibet, head of the government based in Dharamsala, India on March 14th, 2011.
The Cabinet of the Tibetan government-in-exile on Tuesday accorded its consent to the decision of the Dalai Lama to quit. - Deccan Herald
Sify article
Tibet exiles resist bid by Dalai Lama to quit. - The Standard

How is it possible? Can His Holiness the Dalai Lama retire?:ohmy:
I believed his position was very much alike to the Pope's position.

Tibet invests $10.9m to maintain ruins
The government has invested more than 57 million yuan (S$10.9 million) to maintain the ruins of the famed Guge Dynasty, an ancient kingdom in western Tibet Autonomous Region, local authorities said.
The famed Guge Dynasty Ruins, built in the 10th century, are the largest ruins and also best preserved artifacts from the kingdom, which includes color paintings, clay sculptures and stone sculptures.

I'm not sure if I have posted this link into the right place, but I could not find a thread for non-Chinese dynasties of Tibet.:ermm:

Dalai Lama's historic move
The Dalai Lama has finally succeeded in introducing changes in the Tibetan Constitution for which he has been working for over 50 years.
Last Sunday morning he appended his signature to these changes, bringing to an end a 469-year-long chapter of theocracy in world history. Now he is neither the Head of State nor the Chief Executive of the Gaden Phodrang — the Tibetan Government.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama Arrives in Washington, DC
HH the Dalai Lama arrived in Washington, DC on 5 July afternoon from India.
His Holiness had a brief meeting with Under Secretary Otero before he retired for the day. His Holiness’ program for 6 July begins with preparatory prayers and a function to celebrate his 76th birthday.
In the coming days His Holiness will be visiting the Capitol Hill to meet with Speaker John Boehner and other members of Congress.
His Holiness is accompanied by Secretary Tenzin Taklha and Secretary Tsegyam Ngapa for this visit.

He continues to be seen by the chinese communists as the real leader of the tibetans.

Cory said:
He continues to be seen by the chinese communists as the real leader of the tibetans.

I believe that to I do not understand why china needed to have tibet. The delia lama said himself they have no oil and nothing to give them.

The Dalai Lama also has a twitter account where he is posting inspirational quotes,pictures and bits of information:Twitter

Resigning and stepping down might be part of a plan to enable a secular democracy in Tibet once the Chinese government gives the country back.(If this ever happens....)

I had the pleasure of seeing His Holiness in Manchester on Sunday - a truly remarkable experience. From a royal forums point of view, it's interesting that he told us that he has decided that when he reaches 90 years old (something he's determined to do!), the Dalai Lama will then make a decision on how the new Dalai Lama should be found but a kind of new succession procedure is already being worked on.

Until I saw this thread I had completely forgotten that the Dalai Lama had a role in the government of Tibet. Thank you Kasumi for starting this thread:flowers:

I think it will be interesting to see what the next succession mechanism turns out to be. I must admit, I have always been intrigued by the whole reincarnation thing, but maybe they will go for something a touch more modern. Perhaps some sort of election by a group of senior Buddhist figures similar to the College of Cardinals selecting the Pope?

I was in Tibet last December and nobody would talk openly about the Dalai Lama. It was hardly surprising because there were soldiers on nearly every street corner. At all the monasteries I went to there were CCTV cameras everywhere, and probably a few microphones as well. One chap, however, did open up a little bit. He said he had a couple of photos of the Dalai Lama, kept hidden away in case of a search, and that Tibetans make a great game out of finding unique hiding places for their photos. He also said that Tibetans expect that regardless of what the 14th Dalai Lama says, the Chinese government will choose a 15th Dalai Lama.

I can't imagine the Chinese will ever leave Tibet now. In some ways they have made a positive contribution to Tibet, particularly when it comes to infrastructure. The Tibetans apparently loved the new roads the Chinese built for them before their "liberation", not realising until it was too late that the new roads made it easy for the People's Liberation Army to flood over the border. Mandarin is now the language of instruction in all schools, with Tibetan taught as a second language for one hour a week. The monasteries I saw seemed vibrant and active (compared to numerous Roman Catholic communities I have visited in Australia!) But even so it is very difficult for a young person to get permission to become a monk or a nun, and numbers are kept to only a fraction of what they used to be.

That must have been a fascinating experience Tom! On the succession issue, I think the worry is that the Chinese government will choose the next Dalai Lama so that they can end any opposition in Tibet, yet I think for those Tibetans who regard the 14th Dalai Lama as the higher authority, they'd be likely to ignore the Chinese choice and go with what the Dalai Lama chooses to do.

That must have been a fascinating experience Tom! On the succession issue, I think the worry is that the Chinese government will choose the next Dalai Lama so that they can end any opposition in Tibet, yet I think for those Tibetans who regard the 14th Dalai Lama as the higher authority, they'd be likely to ignore the Chinese choice and go with what the Dalai Lama chooses to do.

I think over time the problem for the Tibetan Government-in-exile will be trying to stay relevant to those still living in Tibet, a situation which has frustrated many a deposed monarchy that becomes harder when there is a succession. I think that unfortionately as time goes on the things TomBert mentioned such as the increased use of Mandarin, surveillance, limits on becoming monks and nuns will slowly make it harder for the incumbent Dalai Lama and his successor to be seen as part of Tibetan culture, especially as a new generation of Tibetans who have only known Chinese rule grows up.

That's true, I think that's why the Dalai Lama is so keen to promote Tibetan culture. Hearing him speak, he was very insistent that he was more than just a spiritual leader but that he considered himself a custodian for the Tibetan culture that the Chinese are so keen to suppress.

The Chinese government is keen to suppress seperatist movements, but also pragmatic enough to realise that it is Tibetan culture that draws the tourists and makes money. They have already turned some of their minorities into little more than a side show. A few years ago I was in Guilin where the Dong people are paraded around for tourists; it was all a bit sad really. I hope Tibet does not go the same way.

Songtsen Gampo (617-649) is the first King and the founder of the Kingdom of Tibet. He has two wives, Princess Bhikruti of Nepal, and Princess Wencheng, niece of the Emperor Taizong of Tang China.

Whole Biography of King Songtsen Gampo on Wikipedia:

Songtsän Gampo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Picture of King Songtsen Gampo with his two wives, Princess Bhikruti of Nepal (Left), and Princess Wencheng of Tang China (Right). King Songtsen Gampo is the one in the Middle:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/SongstenGampoandwives.jpg

actually, Songtsen Gampo had five wives

Lhagyari Trichen Namgyal Wangchuk, known as Trichen, has been studying at St. Andrew's School in Delaware since 2010
He was coronated King of Tibet by the Dalai Lama when he was 12, a year after his father passed away
His dad, Lhagyari Trichen Namgyal Gyatso, spent two decades in prison after the Chinese took over Tibet more than 60 years ago
Trichen travels America talking about the plight of his people though bears no hatred towards the Chinese
One day he would like to be the elected leader of his homeland, though he's never been.
Read more: Lhagyari Trichen Namgyal Wangchuk: Last King of Tibet graduates US boarding school from 'Dead Poets Society' after being mentored by Dalai Lama | Mail Online

His Holiness The Dalai Lama was apart from Spiritual Leader of Tibet, Temporal Leader by which he had political power but he was never the king of Tibet. In fact in 2004 His Holiness crowned His Royal Highness Prince Lhagyari Trichen Namgyal Wangchuck as XVIII Dharma king of Tibet afte the death of his father. His Majesty is the rightful King of Tibet and I am sure he will play a role after the Chinese leave TIbet.

https://www.facebook.com/kingoftibet

Hello:

what is the king's lineage?

thank-you

His Holiness was never considered King of Tibet though he had temporal power which means political power. He has not abdicated but given his political power to the democratically elected Prime Minister. The Dalai Lama crowned XVIII DHarma King of Tibet, His Majesty King Lhagyari Trichen Namgyal Wangchuk in 2004 after his father the XVII King passed away. The King is being mentored by His Holiness and is studying in the US and surely will have a very important role as constitutional King of Tibet.

Long Live the Kingdom of Tibet!!

EDIT: & the Kingdom of Bhutan as well!!

HH Dalai Lama is always picked. There are a serious of tests that he must complete. I have met people who helped and witness along the journey, since this position is Felipe's and enlighten. Not one that's born into like a monarchy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom