Kingdom of Sikkim

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dennism

Majesty
City
East of the sun and west of the moon
Country
United States
Famous trivia game. No, just kidding. She was an American college student in the 1960s. In around 1964, she married some kind and became Queen of a Pacific island or
another country in Southeastern Asia. Any ideas? For some reason, Nepal comes to mind.

You are talking about the former Kingdom of Sikkim. It is not quite where you thought it might be. It is located in the Himalayas, bordering Tibet to its north, Nepal to its west, Bhutan to its east and India to its south. Sikkim became the 22nd state of India in 1975, and ceased to be an independent kingdom.
The lady you refer to is Hope Cooke of the USA. She was married in March of 1963,[as his second wife] to The Chogyal Palden Thongdup, the King of Sikkim.
After the loss of his kingdom, the former king's health declined and in the early 1980's he died a broken man. His Queen, left Sikkim and is now known again as Miss Hope Cooke, of NYC. She is the author of her own autobiography, which I understand is quite fascinating.

BTW,I love trivia games..............bring them on! LOL :graduate:

Last edited by a moderator:
Death of Princess Coocoola (1924-2008)

Princess Coocoola of Sikkim - Telegraph

Princess Pema Tsedeun Yapshi Pheunkhang Lacham Kusho (known as Coocoola) was the daughter of Sir Tashi Namgyal, KCSI, KCIE, the 11th Chogyal (King), and the granddaughter of a Tibetan general. She was the brother of the last Chogyal of Sikkim.

Princess Coocoola was widowed in 1973, and is survived by three of her children. When she died on December 2 four tremors were felt in Sikkim, which, according to local belief, signals the passing of a great soul.

I was recently re-reading Queen Hope's story; seemed very sad. Does anyone know what the prevailing sentiment in Sikkim is? Do any regret the loss of their independence or do they all now consider themselves Indians? It would be hard for me to imagine not wanting independence but everything I have read says there is no call for it and zero chance of it ever happening; like Tibet would be independent before Sikkim ever is again. Are things now the way the people want it?

Where resides now the Royal Family of sikkim?

what is known of hope cooke's ancestry?

thank-you

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a biography out of the Himalayan Kingdom with historical b/w & colour photos of the Sikkim royal family, including Chogyal Thondup Namgyal, Hope Cooke (Gyalmo) & her daughter Hope Leezum, (past & present) "Sikkim, Requiem for a Himalayan Kingdom" by Andrew Duff.

Back
Top Bottom