Kingdom of Finland

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not known who would be the King of Finland if one day the country became a monarchy.
If that happened perhaps they would invite a Bernadotte (Carl Philip and Sofia?) or a Romanov, or perhaps they would even invite Donato, Prince and Landgrave from Hesse.
However Finland also does not have an independent monarchic history (in Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Germany, Austria, Russia or France there was in fact a monarchy and royal family and therefore there are several monarchists in these countries) but this never happened in Finland.
I don't know if there is even any monarchic movement in Finland.

It is not known who would be the King of Finland if one day the country became a monarchy.
If that happened perhaps they would invite a Bernadotte (Carl Philip and Sofia?) or a Romanov, or perhaps they would even invite Donato, Prince and Landgrave from Hesse.
However Finland also does not have an independent monarchic history (in Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Germany, Austria, Russia or France there was in fact a monarchy and royal family and therefore there are several monarchists in these countries) but this never happened in Finland.
I don't know if there is even any monarchic movement in Finland.

If Finland ever becomes monarchy (not going happen when there is not any support and not signifant movement for that) most plausible would are either from Hesse or Bernadotte family. Romanovs are bit unlikely. They are not really popular (at least weren't in 1910's/1920's) and any potential one should convert to Lutheranism and begin to speak Finnish. Same thing is of course with any German or Swedish origin too.

But this is just really speculative. Monarchy was already quiet dead by 1920 and probably no one even thought that seriously anymore after WW2.

If Finland ever becomes monarchy (not going happen when there is not any support and not significant movement for that) most plausible would are either from Hesse or Bernadotte family. Romanovs are bit unlikely. They are not really popular (at least weren't in 1910's/1920's) and any potential one should convert to Lutheranism and begin to speak Finnish. Same thing is of course with any German or Swedish origin too.

What's wrong with putting a Finn on the throne? Nothing against the idea of putting a foreign royal on a country's throne, but I'm pretty sure these days people prefer to be led by someone of their own nationality.

Anyway, I'm echoing what everyone has said that Finland has never had an independent monarchy (aside from a brief and failed attempt upon independence) nor does it need one. It's already good enough as a republic, and the vast majority of Finns are content with it.

What's wrong with putting a Finn on the throne? Nothing against the idea of putting a foreign royal on a country's throne, but I'm pretty sure these days people prefer to be led by someone of their own nationality.

Anyway, I'm echoing what everyone has said that Finland has never had an independent monarchy (aside from a brief and failed attempt upon independence) nor does it need one. It's already good enough as a republic, and the vast majority of Finns are content with it.
Not that it'll ever happen, but if it has to be a Finn of ancient royal stock there's always Fredrik von Limburg Stirum at Koski or Anne-Charlotte zu Castell-Rüdenhausen. The latter's father was a first cousin of King Carl Gustav.

Frederick Charles was elected the King of Finland by the Parliament of Finland on 9 October 1918. However, with the end of World War I, in light of his German birth and the abdication of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany ending monarchies in Germany, the arrangement was quickly considered untenable by influential Finns of the time and by Frederick himself. Not much is known of the official stance of the victorious Allied Powers. Frederick Charles renounced the throne on 14 December 1918, without ever arriving in the country, much less taking up his position. Finland then adopted a republican constitution.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Frederick_Charles_of_Hesse

Back
Top Bottom